ONE & (RED) at the Austin to Africa Celebration This Weekend!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamila

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Hi EveryONE,

I know that I'm posting this a bit late but at least I'm posting it!

If you live in Austin TX or the nearby vicinity and you want to help make extreme poverty history, then this is where you should be:

Saturday, 22 Sep 2007, 12:00 PM Austin to Africa: A Celebration of Culture and Community

Central Market at N. Lamar
4001 N. Lamar Blvd
Austin, TX 78701

Directions: Saturday Sept. 22nd from Noon to 6 PM on the deck at Central Market North Lamar.

Free to everyone!

Description 15 African-focused non-profits organizations will gather at Central Market North Lamar to give their pitch about their organization and what they do to make a difference on the African Continent.

Several of the organizations will offer brochures about their organizations and their initiatives.

3 different African bands will provide entertainment.

=============================================

ONE and (RED) will be represented there at our volunteer booth so PLEASE stop on by to say hello and stay if you'd like to help staff our booth!

You'll be glad that you did.~

ALWAYS FOREVER, ONE - debbie :bonodrum: :hug:

I hope to see some of y'all this afternoon at the above event!

It looks like a GREAT time in the sun - and a real chance to make a positive difference for the world's poorest people.

:bonodrum: :hi5:

I just got home from an AMAZING afternoon at the " Austin to Africa: Celebration of Culture and Community " Festival and I'm totally exhausted.

The weather was hot (90's) and sunny and our booth was smack dab in the sun. As I am very fair-skinned, this is not a good place for me to be. I sun burn easily.

I had an umbrella which I used several times to shade me but it was not enough. By 3:00pm, I was about ready to drop from heat stroke.

But I couldn't leave the ONE/ (RED) booth for very long. I would find a piece of shade and then someone would come up to the booth and I would have to go over to speak with them.

In all, I collected eighty sign ups for ONE in five hours.

The music was wonderful but very loud which interferes with people's ability to talk with you. My voice is hoarse and my throat hurts when I talk.

But I can never give up my activities for these organizations as I understand just HOW IMPORTANT it is for people to support them - how important for the People of Africa.~

:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

I am extremely busy nowadays and have very little time online but I did want to let y'all know of a FANTASTIC event that is taking place TONITE in Austin TX. I hope that you can attend.

The event is called "Acknowledge Me" and it is an "indie " music event with a lot of GREAT musicians performing and with representatives of the local independent media also there!

The purpose of the event is to highlight musicians, media, organizations and individuals that don't always get recognized by the local mainstream outlets and to allow them to showcase for our community just who they are.

I will be there staffing a ONE/(RED) booth - trying to bring more people into our movement to end extreme poverty on this 20th anniversary of World AIDS Day.

But I will also have something else VERY SPECIAL with me at another booth next to the ONE/(RED) booth.

I will have crafts for sale from Africa (Uganda). These crafts are sent to me by my very good friend in Uganda who is an HIV/AIDS counselor there and who works with a group of women (about thirty women) who are all HIV+ and on their AIDS medications (ARV's) but who all are living in poverty.

They have no sustainable source of income outside of the crafts that they produce and sell.

I have started to promote these items in the USA for them but can always use more publicity for their craft items and their organization. If you're interested in seeing pics of the crafts that they do produce and sell, please message me and I can give you some more info. All proceeds go directly to the women for the crafts that they have produced. (check out my top friends - you'll find them in there)

I'll have BEAUTIFULLY crafted African wooden statues, handmade African dolls, lovely African beaded jewelry, uniquely made African handbags and purses and baskets of all types, shapes and colors.

All of the items are priced between $5 - $30, so they are DEFINITELY AFFORDABLE and make EXCELLENT HOLIDAY PRESENTS.

How cool to come away from an evening of great food (vegan available) and music with an authentic African craft item knowing that your entire purchase price goes directly back to the person in Uganda who made the item!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you're in the Austin area, I hope that you'll join us tonite. Please come to the Scoot Inn, 1308 E. 4th Street, starting at 8:00 pm and be one of those at this unique Austin event.

Thanks so much, my friend, for your continued support over the years of what I do in my area to raise awareness of our movement to end extreme poverty. I have been doing social advocacy for Africa for over twenty years so Bono's "journey of equality" is just an extension of what I have always been a part of.

Last night was a TREMENDOUS SUCCESS. The night was a BIG success for many reasons - more sign ups for ONE, more people informed about their (RED) choices for Holiday purchases and beyond and my meeting up with a web designer who offe(red) to assist me in the final development of a website that I'm preparing that will further our movement to make extreme poverty history!

While I can not give up much more info on this endeavor right now, when the website is up and functional on the web, I will definitely let everyONE here know.

For the fourth year in a row, I will be staffing a ONE booth at this year's celebration of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr's Holiday which will take place on 21 January 2008 at Hutson-Tillotson University, 900 Chicon Street, Austin.

The march and rally will take place before the Festival. The Festival starts about 10:00am and will end about 3:00pm.

Hopefully, the weather will co-operate better this year and it will be sunny/not too cold or windy.

I also will be having info about (RED) at the booth, white bands and other info associated with ONE.

My main goal is to sign as many people up on ONE petitions as possible to get more people ACTIVE in the movement to end extreme poverty in our world.

I normally gather about 200 signatures at the MLK Festival but would always like to gather more for ONE.

So if you are in the Austin TX area and would like to help out at the booth this year, simply let me know. The main hours that I will need some help are between 10:00am - 1:30pm.

Let's ALL COME TOGETHER AS ONE in 2008 for the sake of the world's poorest people.

:bonodrum: :hi5: :hug:

ONE more bump for the ONE booth at the Dr. King Festival.

:bump: :sexywink:

Back
Top Bottom