NYC St. Patrick's Day Thread, Part Four

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i blame Canada. if they had the decency to build some mountains east of their Rockies then we wouldn't have these Arctic blasts in mid-March.

I'm re booked on a flight that so far hasn't been canceled. I'll be getting in an hour later and that's if this isn't canceled or delayed.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
And how could they do it so far ahead in advance? :slant:

It's called "pulling down the flights."

Two factors: The NY/NJ Port Authority absolutely FAILED the airlines this whole season with an inability to clear taxi and runways quick enough to get flights in and out quickly (the Port Authority run all three NYC area airports). So, the airlines, knowing the PANY/NJ will not be able to handle it, have reduced the number of "operations" (flights) in and out of NY tomorrow. I had a hour long call where we discussed early reductions.

Secondly, as I mentioned before, it does not take much for the New York Air Traffic Control System to need "slow downs." They try to cut down on the number of airplanes in the area (instead of a plane landing every minute at LaGuadia, they will thin it out to one every two minutes). Air Traffic Control will ask airlines to cancel flights. Each airline will be required to cancel "X" number of flights. They will look at the loads on the flights and condense passengers.

This is ALMOST a daily occurence in the NY area. Add a prediciton of 5-10 inches of snow AND/OR ice pellets, and things get UGLY.

We are booked on a 6pm flight out for arrival at 8:30ish Friday evening. I will be looking for alternatives when I get to work tomorrow! :D

IF you think you may need help, feel free to call me on my cell phone (see April's list)...but do so before 9:30am EST - I will be stuck in interview sessions from 9:30 until noon. :D

zonelistener said:

It's called "pulling down the flights."

Two factors: The NY/NJ Port Authority absolutely FAILED the airlines this whole season with an inability to clear taxi and runways quick enough to get flights in and out quickly (the Port Authority run all three NYC area airports). So, the airlines, knowing the PANY/NJ will not be able to handle it, have reduced the number of "operations" (flights) in and out of NY tomorrow. I had a hour long call where we discussed early reductions.

Secondly, as I mentioned before, it does not take much for the New York Air Traffic Control System to need "slow downs." They try to cut down on the number of airplanes in the area (instead of a plane landing every minute at LaGuadia, they will thin it out to one every two minutes). Air Traffic Control will ask airlines to cancel flights. Each airline will be required to cancel "X" number of flights. They will look at the loads on the flights and condense passengers.

This is ALMOST a daily occurence in the NY area. Add a prediciton of 5-10 inches of snow AND/OR ice pellets, and things get UGLY.

We are booked on a 6pm flight out for arrival at 8:30ish Friday evening. I will be looking for alternatives when I get to work tomorrow! :D

IF you think you may need help, feel free to call me on my cell phone (see April's list)...but do so before 9:30am EST - I will be stuck in interview sessions from 9:30 until noon. :D

Knowledge :drool:

I'm afraid to look at Air Can :fear:

stglit18.gif

I hope you all have a wonderful time tomorrow - I'm so jealous of you all!!

Jeff, if you're still here

They told me they canceled all the morning flights from LAX to NYC, this is Delta. If the weather isn't as bad as they feared is it possible that they will go ahead with some morning flights so if I went to the airport early I might be able to get on one? :)

I could drive to LAX faster than I can get
a hold of a live person.

Who planned a march gathering in NY anyways :madwife::wink:

redkat said:

They told me they canceled all the morning flights from LAX to NYC, this is Delta. If the weather isn't as bad as they feared is it possible that they will go ahead with some morning flights so if I went to the airport early I might be able to get on one? :)

a hold of a live person.

It is just before 3am your time right now....it is always good to get out to the airport early. It always gives you additional opportunities! :D

Best of luck to all.

Driving to TO now - Cannot wait to meet everyone - travel safely everyone :hug:

I'll have a drink for everyone that can't make it :imselflesslikethat:

:kiss: see you all soon!

redkat said:

a hold of a live person.

Who planned a march gathering in NY anyways :madwife::wink:

i blame al gore.

where's global warming when you really need it?

stupid manbearpig :shakesangryfist:

i'm super serial.

if anyone needs any help with anything feel free to give me a call... won't be able to answer between 10 and 12 (we talkin' bout practice) but you can always leave a message. i can't fly a plane, however, so unfortunatly i can't come pick you up.

safe travels, hope everyone gets in in a timely fashion

yes and i don't really have any answers for you... i'm sort of a figure head on this whole arranging thing. april was sort of running things, i don't really know what the deal is. when i get to my hotel this afternoon i should be able to get online, so after i talk to some peeps i'll let ya know.

it doesn't look like I'll get a flight. NY seems to be shut down. April's was canceled too. She may have better luck than me though.

I'm still on hold :(

Back
Top Bottom