New York St. Patrick's Day Gathering, Part Two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'll be the only sober person in NYC that day, wow.

Looking forward to meeting a bunch of interlanders for the first time, none of whom will actually remember meeting me.

Jeff, I put in a ticket request today, so, you cannot back out of the game!!! :)

I'm not much of a drinker either. But then again, after the night is over I have to travel a distance to get home, so it wouldn't be wise to walk around the city a bit tipsy. Which sucks because its St Patrick's Day of all days!

Yeah, but I live on Staten Island. Taxis don't go over there, unless I call a car service.

Pearl said:
Yeah, but I live on Staten Island. Taxis don't go over there, unless I call a car service.

I love how I lived in The Bronx for 24 years, and on Beav, I'm sorry, Long Island for 2 more, and stepped foot on Staten Island one time.

So, maybe, possibly, 1 or 2 other sober people. I really need to bring a camera and chronicle the evening's events, for posterity, in case the participants do not really recall what exactly happened.

No spoken words said:

I love how I lived in The Bronx for 24 years, and on Beav, I'm sorry, Long Island for 2 more, and stepped foot on Staten Island one time.

This summer was the first time I ever stepped foot on SI. That was too use a bathroom. SI serves as a gateway between NY and the mainland. Similair to how Jersey is only there to connect NY to America.

Funny story about SI. You know how it got it's name?

George Washington was in boat rowing, and he stood up, pointed and said, "Hey...iz dat an island?" lol. izdatan island - staten island. lol. Get it?

You guys are not missing anything. Most people I know would do anything to get off the island.

Oh yeah Beav, that's an old joke....lol.
"Staten" is an old Dutch word, but I don't know what it means.

My bank takes too damn long to process things. As soon as I get this money, I can get my plane tickets.

Give me my money! :rant:

Pearl said:
You guys are not missing anything. Most people I know would do anything to get off the island.

Oh yeah Beav, that's an old joke....lol.
"Staten" is an old Dutch word, but I don't know what it means.

It means "Is that an..." I just told you that. :angry:

When I drive through SI I like to yell out "SHOALIN" a lot.

Hey, I was only kidding. I just found it amusing that the joke was still around.

Pearl said:
Hey, I was only kidding. I just found it amusing that the joke was still around.

lol, I don't know that it's still around. I may have just brought it back. I remember hearing it when I was a kid. It just stuck in my head all these years. Which is ironic cause I can't remember jokes ever. And that one really doesn't work out of New York.

Nope, one of the reasons why SI is known as the "Forgotten Borough"

I know that there is a HS on SI called "McKee". And I know I once drove my sister to SI because her best friend at the time lived there, and my parents would not her go via public transportation that late at night, so rather than have her be in the house, I drove her.

Transportation to and from the island is horrible. We have one train line, no over night express buses, and only 3 express buses run during the weekends. We are part of the city, pay the same taxes as everyone else, and yet its a hike to get there. Even New Jersey has better transportation to Manhattan, and its not even part of the city! There's even talk of charging for the ferry, which is free. SI always gets mistreated by the city.
Back in the early 90s, SI tried to secede from the rest of NYC due to all the poor treatment. But the politicians up in Albany wouldn't allow it to go through. Sometimes I wonder if the secession issue will come up again.

I remember the secession attempt well. Well, though there is no real reason to visit my home, The Bronx, besides the Stadium and maybe the Zoo or Botanical Gardens....we are not on an island, literally and figuratively....plenty of transportation into and away from the city....a few major highways running through the borough, etc. Life there was always interesting, I must say. :)

I've only been to the Bronx twice in my life. Once to see the Zoo, another while interning for a local station. I felt like I was in another world for some reason. I mean, the Bronx is no different from Queens or Brooklyn!

The outer boroughs have more in common than not, but, they do have a different vibe, to me. Brooklyn, which I've been to more than Staten Island, does feel like a different city to me than The Bronx....I could never explain why, it just does.

Interning for a local station? Do you work in TV? Radio? Or, was that just then?

I need some quick advice from someone who knows the New York transit system (or Ewen :wink: ). All my flights have been re-priced so I've had to start looking from scratch again. It seems I only have two options (in my price range) for homeward flights: a direct flight to Halifax from Newark at 9:05 am, or a flight from LaGuardia connecting through Ottawa to Halifax, which leaves at 8:15 am.

I don't know which would be easier though, going through early Monday rush-hour subway and bus traffic. Especially since the direct flight from Newark takes me into Midtown Manhattan in rush hour! :yikes:

ETA: I assume I'm going to be leaving on the L train from Halsey St. Station.

So, which is best? I'm going to hold off on buying these tickets till I find out which is the lesser of two evils. :up:

Last edited:
Never mind - I did a little more digging and found something better. I'm arriving at La Guardia on Friday at 12:08 pm, and leaving on Monday from La Guardia at 12:30 pm (and then connecting twice in Toronto and Ottawa before getting home at 10:45 pm! :huh: ).

So, my flight is now officially booked. :D See you all in the Big Apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom