New York St. Patrick's Day Gathering, Part Two - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Interference Gatherings
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 04:08 PM   #106
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:36 AM
i would recommend walking around Greenwich Village and the West Village, the whole area around NYU. if you've got the time, St. Mark's Place is still pretty cool, and it's interesting to see 1977 commodified, and there are some wonderful curry places in and around there.

i think time is much better spent walking than "sightseeing," though who knows -- i've been going to NYC since i was a baby, and i've never been up in the ESB.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:18 PM   #107
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:36 AM
I've lived in NYC for most of my life, and have never been to the ESB or the Statue of Liberty.

Hopefully if its nice out, you guys can go ride around Midtown on the horse and carriages or the bike taxis.

Also, if you go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and go to Central Park right behind it, you get a good glimpse of Bono's apartment.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:24 PM   #108
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by UberBeaver

The subway to JFK sucks. You can take the Long Island RailRoad to JFK, but I don't know the schedules. LaGuardia is even more of a pain. Cabs are your best bet to any three airports. Without traffic, 20 - 30 minutes tops. With traffic...lol.
huh? JFK to Manhattan is a breeze on the subway.

Dave, if you're coming from JFK, you just get on the Airtrain & then 'transfer' (although it's not technically a transfer) to the subway (the 'A') at Howard Beach station. Take the 'A' to Broadway Junction and transfer to the 'L' to Halsey Street, which is where we're at, if you want to dump your bags off at our apartment. You then get back on the 'L' to get to Manhattan.

La Guardia will certainly be a pain via bus & subway but is definately doable (I can provide instructions).
Old 01-23-2007, 09:32 PM   #109
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:36 AM
Big Grin

There is a round trip bus service from LGA and JFK that is about $20 and will get you to midtown fairly quickly (I used it on my last day trip to NYC).

I grew up within a rooftop view of the Empire State Building (I have NEVER seen it called "ESB" ). I LOVE visiting the building. As for the statue of Liberty...never done it (again, grew up there, had hundreds of visitors to our house over the years, but never got there...WEIRD).

Like many from the area, I loved going to the area around NYU (Irvine mentioned this) and still love going to the museums (I will forever adore my parents for dragging us to all of the NYC museums).

South Street Seaport is neat too, as well as the Wall Street area (downtown to the Bowery).

Headache...what is going on with the Nimitz?
Old 01-23-2007, 10:30 PM   #110
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally posted by ewen

huh? JFK to Manhattan is a breeze on the subway.

At 6:30 on a Sunday morning going from Manhattan to JFK?
Old 01-23-2007, 10:50 PM   #111
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:36 AM
So..if we, hypothetically, land at JFK at 5:05 pm on a Thursday, what time shall I expect to get to my hotel at Bryant Park (5th Street at E. 8th Avenue) ???? or is it 5th Avenue at 8th Street...its at Bryant Park for sure.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:58 PM   #112
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Pearl
I've lived in NYC for most of my life, and have never been to the ESB or the Statue of Liberty.

Hopefully if its nice out, you guys can go ride around Midtown on the horse and carriages or the bike taxis.

Also, if you go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and go to Central Park right behind it, you get a good glimpse of Bono's apartment.
You should go to the Statue of Liberty, then, Pearl. It's more than just a tourist attraction.

Yeah, when I mentioned the Metropolitan Museum of Art, forgot to take Bono into account, how silly of me.

Horse and Carriage ride is nice for a romantic evening, but during the day? I'd not go that route. NYC is a city to be walked, in my opinion.

See, Dave? Everyone from there has a different suggestion. It's a vast place with an insanely large variety of things to do....basically, you cannot go wrong.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:59 PM   #113

I'd recommed AirTrain to Long Island Rail Road to Penn Station (34th and 8th). Depending on your bag situation, a walk to Bryant park (in between 6th and 5th and 41st and 52nd - I used to work at the real tall building across from there , flip it the bird for me. They fired Numb ) is about 15 minutes. If you just have a couple of drag bags, it's a nice walk. Otherwise cab it.

You should be able to do it in an hour or so, without baggage claim. Airtrain runs frequently. Catching a train from Jamaica (LIRR) to Penn Station at that time should be quick.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:14 PM   #114
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by UberBeaver

At 6:30 on a Sunday morning going from Manhattan to JFK?
aye

http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/schemain.htm

L and A trains
Old 01-23-2007, 11:19 PM   #115
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

everyone can e-mail either myself or my lovely assistant miss rail skank #69 the afformentioned information.

as for myself... on march 15th i have, um, a retreat i guess you could call it ... basicaly work is paying for us to go out east on the island, get drunk and build a more cohesive working environment or some shit like that... free room, free booze, i'm there. i need to work on the 16th for a few hours, done at 3... (it's about a 45 minute local train ride from where i work to penn, 25 if i can catch an express). st. patrick's day it's self, i'll be in manhattan by, oh, 10am-ish, and will be staying in the city overnight.
It's my pleasure to help.

That retreat thing sounds like an episode of The Office just waiting to happen. You should bring your camera.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:20 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally posted by ewen

aye

http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/schemain.htm

L and A trains
lol. I never knew the subway actually had a schedule. Nice. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:53 AM   #117
Blue Crack Addict

I find out tonight (Wednesday) if I can get some cash to help pay for this thing, if I do, I'm in for sure. If not, it's a toss-up. Either way, I'll know by dinner time tonight.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:31 PM   #118
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:36 AM
Quote:
originally posted by No Spoken Words
You should go to the Statue of Liberty, then, Pearl. It's more than just a tourist attraction.
I plan to do that this summer. Liberty Island is one of those things that I keep saying I'll do, but never seem to!
Old 01-24-2007, 02:59 PM   #119
Blue Crack Addict

I spent some time online last night reading up on things to do and how to get around in NYC, which only got me even more excited.

Ewen, is the neighbourhood you and Abby live in called Bushwick? I guessed that last night but since I don't really know exactly where you live other than in the vicinity of Halsey Street Station the best I can do is guess.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:07 PM   #120
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Pearl

I plan to do that this summer. Liberty Island is one of those things that I keep saying I'll do, but never seem to!
I can relate. When you live in a place like NYC, you always think you'll have plenty of time to do things like that....yet you sometimes never get around to it. I think that Ellis Island still allows visitors, and that's a pretty powerful excursion to take, as well.

Dave, I hope that you get good news tonight and are able to go.