Need a U2 buddy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

midnightlemon

The Fly
It seems like no one I know really enjoys U2 that much. Either they think they're "ok", like a couple of their songs, or can't stand them at all. I ended up going to the 2nd of my two 360 shows with a friend of mine who (literally) had never heard of U2 before (although in her partial defense, she's from Africa).

I had the choice of queuing in the GA line for about 12 hours by myself, or showing up with a friend a few hours before the show - I chose the latter. As we waited in line, I had to tell her who Bono was. :doh:

We had a good time, but I just hoped for a better experience. I wish I could have gone to 10 shows on the tour, met tons of people who love U2 as much as I do (or maybe even more), and really acted out as a hardcore fan, doing stuff like camping overnight to be front and center for the show.

So yeah, it would be great to have a "U2 buddy". And I'm wondering, how has everyone else met their "U2 buddies" or do they just fly solo?

I managed to convert my best friend to U2, and she ended up acting like more of a fangirl than even I did at the show we went to :) I don't know if it would have worked if she hadn't even heard of Bono...:/

I met all of my U2 friends through this site or in a GA line at a show. :lol: It just kinda happens. You'll strike up a conversation on Interference and then exchange FB/email/etc. and next thing ya know, you're the best of friends. :D It just kinda happens. I'm sure a lot of folks on this site would be willing to be a "U2 buddy" and chill in the GA line. Where are you from and which shows did you go to? :)
And :doh: about your friend not knowing who Bono is.

I'm from Philly, so I was at the Philly show, but I also went to the first Giants Stadium show in 2009.

I was a little skeptical of queuing in the GA line by myself really early. I figured it would be a good way to meet U2 fans like myself, but with my luck I'd get stuck next to some antisocial people in line, or something like that and just end up bored to death for about 15 hours.

I recommend hanging out on this forum , and when the new tour starts :huh:
There are lots of gathering threads , for any U2 show, you can just pop in there,
chat up , try to make plans for meeting up at the venue (in the GA line most likely but
even travelling together to a show is a great option)
And meet lots of fans there. Its really easy, and I've met some great friends.
I was travelling with a group of 3 to the German gigs, and we ended up having dinner with over 12 people. Friendship among U2 fans just grows quickly.:hyper:

I'm from Philly, so I was at the Philly show, but I also went to the first Giants Stadium show in 2009.

I was a little skeptical of queuing in the GA line by myself really early. I figured it would be a good way to meet U2 fans like myself, but with my luck I'd get stuck next to some antisocial people in line, or something like that and just end up bored to death for about 15 hours.

Nahh, people are always willing to be social! Even at 4:30 in the morning in the case of Montreal's GA queue. :crack: I made friends with this one guy who was my line buddy all day. There's a camaraderie between U2 fans that's just awesome. :) I was also at the Philly show but spent a lot of time in the first aid station unfortunately. Long story short, anxiety issues.

I guess I know for next time, whenever that is. I can only hope that U2 will do another stadium tour in the US soon enough. Although I would love to see them in Latin America, assuming I'd be able to afford to do so in the future.

I was at the Philly show too! Did GA and got sunburned and dehydrated. Didn't kill the fun for me though! And I'd definitely not mind being a GA buddy. I'll be trying to do GA at more than one show next tour so I'll be looking for people to hang with. Meet ups are always cool and fun. Usually I meet people here and then I exchange my Facebook. Was able to meet a few Interference members at the show in Philly, met Bonogirl777 and many others. I'm thinking of heading up north in the US for a show on the next tour so if you're going to see one up north let me know. I'd like to meet up! :wave:

And I'd be there!

I might also go to Philly...it's only ~2 hours by train from Baltimore, I think...

The next tour can't come soon enough. Although I just don't see how it could top 360, especially if they do an arena tour in the US which is very likely. But next time I'll be sure to camp out in GA and hit up as many shows as possible. I better start saving now.

I've met all my U2 friends either in the GA line or at other U2 related events (Letterman, SNL, Spider-man NYC, 92Y.) I went to the Philly show completely on my own. Stayed at a hotel with the girl who sold me the ticket and we've become great friends. For the NJ show, I had bought those tickets when the first when on sale. I was a bit skeptical about doing the GA line on my own, so I brought a friend who isn't a U2 fan. Had an amazing time regardless, but she didn't share or understand my enthusiasm. (Plus, LOTS of complaining!)

I'm down for meeting up next tour! :wave: Hoping to do at least ten shows! I'm in NYC - so definitely come here!

It's funny how many millions of fans U2 has all over the world, but how so many of us feel so alone in our lives. I, too, don't have any friends that are big fans of U2 like me. I would always pay for my friends to go with me. With 360 instead of paying for friends to come with me - I decided to bring my 16 year old daughter along. We had a great time. I've met a ton of wonderful people at the different shows I've been to and quite a few of them I know will be life long friends!

I've not flown solo to any of the shows I've gone to. But one thing I've learned from all the GA lines I've been in. You can go to the show by yourself, but you'll never be alone! You will always make friends!! Friends that make you feel normal in your crazy, frenzied, chaotic love for U2!!!

Met my U2 friends, who are now just friends, through this site. Met at a gathering that was supposed to be before the '10 shows that were postponed.

I've also done GA solo and it was great. Met tons of very nice people.

I met TrojanChick at the same time - as the gathering she mentioned above. And she's been a great friend since. Love her lots! She's super wonderful.

Her and I are not just U2 friends but Foo friends too. And more importantly... just plain ol' good friends. And that is pretty awesome.

I know how you fell, it's crazy. I always buy two tickets and a friend comes with me, they end up loving it, but dont know why they dont just want to come anyway!!

I went to Winnipeg in the GA line by myself since I don't know any other fans and I was kind of "adopted" by the group behind me in line. U2 fans are usually very nice from my experiences at concerts, so I wasn't too worried about going alone and it worked out well! I think they were amused at my accent because I don't think they get too many visitors from so far south.

Back
Top Bottom