Mermaid, U still there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popfortheplanet

Babyface
I replied to your previous post & after submitting it, it just disappeared
confused.gif

By the way, 'pop' is fine.
smile.gif

hey 'pop', yes I'm still here!
yeah it's weird, the entire topic I started seems to have disappeared. welcome to the twilight zone...
wink.gif

anyway, back to varsity after holidays, eh? I have a history essay to write this week (hence I have just spent over an hour on this site. dont you love procrastination...)

hey do you imagine NZ will be the first to get the new album? seeing as it's a worldwide same-day release and all! I cant remember from previous album releases whether there were midnight openings or not - if so, I am SO there... (cant remember if we discussed this already, sorry)
and I'm hopeful that U2 will once again play in Wellington, they did in 1988. Now we have the new stadium, it would be a great venue. I cant wait!
regards, Mermaid

------------------
she moves in mysterious ways...

The internet is a very bad thing when you've got work to do
smile.gif
Like every student I seem to leave everything to the last minute and then wonder why my stress levels seem to go through the roof!!

Re the new album, there is nothing better than lining up outside a record store on a freezing cold Dunedin night in anticipation of a new U2 album. The Best Of CD was a midnight release but I seem to recall Pop being a 8am release or something ridiculous like that because they had a stuff-up with the release dates in the States.

As far as seeing the guys in concert, I'm obviously going to have to hit the road as I'm pretty sure that they probably won't want to play at the 'Brook
wink.gif

Are you subscribed to Propaganda? If so, is it worth the effort to get? I just had a look at the website and I'm not too sure. Anyway, have a good weekend. I'm thinking of going to see Gladiator at some point, (like everyone else!!) friends you've seen it say it is awesome.

------------------
'It's very simple'

hey pop
oh god yes it's incredibly dangerous. I now have a computer in my room which is great for essay writing but far too tempting when email and the internet are just a few clicks away...fortunately I got an extension on my essay till next week, which helps
smile.gif

I'm looking forward to my first ever midnight opening (I've never before been sufficiently obsessed with a band at the right time to bother...) The only CD I've bought on the first day was I think 'no code' by Pearl Jam, when I was in my more grungy stage

I see your point about Carisbrook - though the crowd could set their flat couches on fire instead of waving lighters in the air
wink.gif

So as for hitting the road - well I'm thinking I might go to more than one concert, be a serious groupie and follow them all over the country (assuming they play Auck Wgtn Chch). I'm figuring that if I never get another chance to see them live, then I might as well make the most of the opportunity! So I might see you in Chch come 2001/2002...
I am also thinking of subscribing to Propaganda, particularly if I can get the 'hasta la vista' CD from Mexico City. But yeah it's kinda pricey.

I hope you like gladiator, personally it's not my kind of film (too much gore!). Having studied classics & Italian & history it might be interesting for me to see; but I'll probably just tear it to shreds for its inaccuracies!!! The film festival is currently in town but I havent seen anything yet; I'm going to a short film collection tomorrow including 'infection', the one about the computer-generated hand thing that takes on the student loan system (amen to that!)
Mermaid
smile.gif

PS do you own any U2 singles or EPs? they're so expensive to buy now, about $20 second hand for some. I am but a poor student (who has spent FAR too much money on U2 stuff in a short space of time), so if you have some (especially AB-onwards) and could burn them for me I'd be very grateful.

------------------

$20 second hand!!
mad.gif
Either Echo in Dunedin is selling them cheap or record stores in Wellington are ripping you off!!

In regard to your request about the singles I don't have a CD burner or know anyone that has one BUT if you have one or know of someone that has one then I could send the singles up to you, I'm pretty trustworthy
smile.gif

Just off the top of my head....(I'm at varsity so I can't have a look to see exactly what I've got)

The Fly
Stay (Live and Swing format)
Sweetest Thing (1&2)
Please EP (Highly recommended)
Everything from Pop

I may have some other singles lying around but that should keep you interested
wink.gif

I don't really listen to a lot of these very often so I don't have any trouble with you borrowing them to get them copied.

Your talk about the film festival got me thinking. Wasn't MDH supposed to be released in NZ & Australia on the 27th??? I thought that it may have been in the film festival down here but a quick flick through the programme showed nothing. Ah well... just have to keep my eyes open and ears to the ground.

See ya.

------------------
'It's very simple'

ohmygod that would be FANTASTIC if I could borrow your singles. A friend of a friend owns a burner, so it shouldnt be too difficult to get them copied. How many do you have altogether? like I said I'm particularly after ones from AB onwards, but I'd also like to hear that one 'night and day' from about 1990, that everyone keeps raving about.
anyway, if you could give me a list I'd be really grateful. My email address is:
themermaid@paradise.net.nz
Of course I will pay postage & everything, I could send you a music voucher which I'm sure you could put to good use
smile.gif

thanks in advance
Mermaid

------------------

oh yeah with reference to your other points: I think some of the $20 ones may be either new or very rare. There are others for around 10 which is what singles tend to be new, as far as I know. Maybe they are jsut cheaper in Dunedin, most things are I'm told! But we have some fantastic shops up here, Real Groovy has a good selection, and there's a couple of smaller ones as well.

And regarding the MDH: I had also hoped it would come in the film festival, but no luck. I went to the extent of checking out the websites of the cinemas that were likely to show it (Rialto, Paramount, Penthouse). No mention of it anywhere, not even in 'coming attractions'. I'm hoping they show it at rialto because I won a movie pass off the radio to see any movie there - and I cant think of a better use to put it to!!! I'll just have to find someone sympathetic to go with...on the offchance it sucks I will tolerate no aspersions being cast on Bono's writing ability!

I'm guessing that either the official website was wrong, or that it was intended to be released on the 27th and for some reason hasnt been, or that in fact nobody has chosen to show it yet. Given that the soundtrack's been released, I cant believe it will never get here - it may just take time. Patience is a virtue...
Mermaid

------------------

"Maybe they are jsut cheaper in Dunedin, most things are I'm told!" What's that supposed to mean?!
wink.gif
Only joking. Hope that you got the email that I sent and I hope that it helps. I'm a little pissed off as I can't listen to the segment of the single as the server here at the varsity has a firewall up to stop info like that coming in. BASTARDS!!
mad.gif
Ah well, I'll probably just have to go and invade a mates computer and get it off him. According to the feedback so far, everyone seems to be pretty happy with it (why shouldn't they, it's U2 :cool
smile.gif
Anyway I really should be getting back to the work that I'm SUPPOSED to be doing, ah, the joys of being a student.

See ya.

------------------
'It's very simple'

Back
Top Bottom