Melbourne Meet Up thread - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Interference Gatherings
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2008, 05:58 AM   #121
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:50 AM
Silly not-so-old me didn't decide to become a fan until 1998 or 1999... missed PopMart. Sigh!

I do love hearing stories from people who got to see all those other tours and stuff. *sits in listening pose*

Old 01-26-2008, 05:58 AM   #122
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by TranceEnding
I was at the Lovetown tour (Melbourne) also ... first 4 shows See, there's some advantage in being old

guh ............

Old 01-26-2008, 06:01 AM   #123
Vocal parasite

Quote:
I was at the Lovetown tour (Melbourne) also ... first 4 shows See, there's some advantage in being old
Aaaand now we all hate you out of jealousy.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 06:07 AM   #124
Refugee

See, that's what I find so brilliant about Interference I went through my U2 teenage/early twenties obsession back in the day, from say ..... 1984. Now, when I come here, it's kinda like reliving my youth What seemed perfectly natural and normal, to go and see your beloved band in the earlier tours (as many times as possible, LOL!) is greeted with ..... WOW!! by younger and/or newer fans. It's really cool actually!

It makes you think how amazing this band is, to be still together after all these years and to be so enormously popular. The funny thing is, is that sometimes I STILL think they're this little band I fell in love with and everyone thought I was such a nerd to like them
Old 01-26-2008, 06:07 AM   #125
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
1989-11-18, Sydney
1989-12-01, Osaka
1989-12-26, 27, 30, 31, Dublin
1989-01-10, Rotterdam

The Aussie shows are usually not that great audio quality. If memory serves correctly, 1989-10-09 is probably the pick of the Melbourne concerts.
I was looking at these on u2start and was amazed at the number of shows they were playing in each city... no wonder they said it was driving them nuts!

I've got NYE Dublin, and the Osaka one as well, although I've not listened to Osaka for ages. I think I've got that Sydney one too, not sure if I ever got around to listening to it. Is that the one with a screamer standing next to the poor taper?

I'll grab Rotterdam for sure then... thanks Axver
Old 01-26-2008, 06:11 AM   #126
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
See, that's what I find so brilliant about Interference I went through my U2 teenage/early twenties obsession back in the day, from say ..... 1984. Now, when I come here, it's kinda like reliving my youth What seemed perfectly natural and normal, to go and see your beloved band in the earlier tours (as many times as possible, LOL!) is greeted with ..... WOW!! by younger and/or newer fans. It's really cool actually!
I have very fond memories of being a newbie Interferencer, and going through my first blush of fandom here... people encouraging me to go and buy Pop and October and all that sort of thing.

One of these days when I build my time machine, I can go and do what you did the first time round... and I'll wave to Edge as we pass one another in the space-time continuum
Old 01-26-2008, 06:12 AM   #127
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Hopefully 15 years down the track, people only just being born will hate me for having seen Muse in 2007 or something.

But I feel like I've kind of missed the boat on things. I was EASILY the youngest person I saw at the Finn Brothers, Split Enz, and Crowded House gigs I saw in 2005, 2006, and 2007 respectively. And, well, Dream Theater may be coming here for the first time on Tuesday, but they're already past their prime and I think they only appeal to nerdy guys.

I'll probably never latch on to any band that becomes huge in the future. But I can tell you all about atmospheric metal! Agalloch ...

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-26-2008, 06:15 AM   #128
Blue Crack Supplier

Yeah, I'm not cool enough to watch enough new/unknown bands and become fans of them before they get big.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:16 AM   #129
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:20 AM
off to bed melbournites, catch you monday , will emial some phone numberz
Old 01-26-2008, 06:17 AM   #130
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Alisaura

I was looking at these on u2start and was amazed at the number of shows they were playing in each city... no wonder they said it was driving them nuts!

I've got NYE Dublin, and the Osaka one as well, although I've not listened to Osaka for ages. I think I've got that Sydney one too, not sure if I ever got around to listening to it. Is that the one with a screamer standing next to the poor taper?

I'll grab Rotterdam for sure then... thanks Axver
There were actually even MORE shows planned that were never played for various reasons:

- Melbourne was meant to have an EIGHTH show on 17/10. We don't know why this one never went on sale, as all seven sold out.
- The three Sydney shows on 17, 18, and 19/11 were meant to be on 22, 24, and 25/10, but you probably know about his vocal problems at the time.
- Two more Amsterdam shows were meant for the two nights after the aborted 18/11 show; they were rescheduled as the four Rotterdam gigs in January. I actually think the 1989-11-18 bootleg isn't bad until Bono completely blows his voice in God Part II.
- Dublin was meant to have a fifth show on 29/12. It was cancelled as U2 already felt pretty run off their feet.

I think you have a different Sydney gig. 1989-11-18 is pretty good audience, and we have soundboard of some of it thanks to the Lovetown doco. You might be thinking of 1989-10-20? AMAZING gig, but there's a very squeally girl near the taper. If I remember correctly, she actually shrieks "I love you Larry!" during VAN DIEMEN'S LAND. Yeah, Larry's totally on stage then.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-26-2008, 06:17 AM   #131
Blue Crack Supplier

Seeya Jen... wish I could go.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:20 AM   #132
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Alisaura
Yeah, I'm not cool enough to watch enough new/unknown bands and become fans of them before they get big.
I know so much underground stuff, it's ridiculous. I think that if most people played a drinking game with my top 50 albums of all time, drinking every time they recognised an album, they probably wouldn't even get tipsy.

But these bands are underground for a reason - the mainstream doesn't go for their style.

Quote:
Originally posted by mysterious_jen
Cool; if you don't have my e-mail already, it's amakaxver[at]gmail.com

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-26-2008, 06:23 AM   #133
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by mysterious_jen
nighty-nite I'd better get going too I guess ... gotta get up early for work tomorrow. Sigh
Old 01-26-2008, 06:28 AM   #134
Vocal parasite

I ... uh ... better not stay up too late ... so that I don't miss the first ball of the cricket tomorrow.

Woo, got to love the reason I have to get up in the morning.

Well, g'night to those of you leaving.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-26-2008, 06:30 AM   #135
Refugee

oh, and Axver, Unforgettable Fire is one of my all-time favourite albums too Very cool top 50 there .... a few of them I really haven't heard about before ... love Nick Drake's Pink Moon also.