Melbourne Meet Up thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hope you had a nice weekend Alisaura :D

I'm pretty pooped, it's been a long day! It's a big shame about yesterday ... and the fact that Axver's muffins didn't work out - it must of been a sign!! :ohmy:

Still, it'll be great to organise a catch up soon :) I'm not sure about Feb 3, but the 17th would definately be a go-er for me!

I'm definately going to see the Nick Cave exhibit at the Arts Centre on February 15 with my sis (at 6pm .. there's a special thing on that evening) ... so if anyone fancies going, it'd be nice to say howdy :D

Alisaura said:
People who hate clubs and like conversations! :hi5:

I never set foot in a nightclub until last year, and that was only because it was part of a friend's hen's night. I'm not keen to repeat the experience... :yuck:

I tried to join a lapidary club in Canberra... same thing, retired 50+ people who were very nice, but just not my scene.

I've never set foot in a nightclub full stop. I'd rather not ever! Pubs are bad enough. There are only so many smoky rooms full of 40-something potbellied drunk men that I can handle in this lifetime. Even more drunk 20-somethings whose speech is inaudible over blaring music sounds even worse.

I always find going to railway enthusiast societies to be very welcoming, but it's just too hard to relate to a wholly 50+ crowd. The politics tend to be more conservative, the music/entertainment tastes are different, etc. I wouldn't dare say I listen to metal in such circles! :lol:

... though it would be funny to turn up at a heritage railway and see a guy slide out from under a locomotive with a Mayhem shirt on!

(If you don't know the story of Mayhem, the important points are this: 1. seminal black metal band, 2. one band member, Dead, is uh dead; bandmate Euronymous found him, took photos, made a necklace from Dead's skull fragments, and one of the photos was used as the cover of the Dawn of the Black Hearts bootleg, and 3. band member Count Grishnackh murdered Euronymous.)

Last edited:
TranceEnding said:
I'm definately going to see the Nick Cave exhibit at the Arts Centre on February 15 with my sis (at 6pm .. there's a special thing on that evening) ... so if anyone fancies going, it'd be nice to say howdy :D
Ooh, I might make that the day I go, then... :D I usually finish work at 6pm and it'd take me 15 mins or so to get to the gallery... :hmm:

I did have a good weekend... punctuated with pancakes and brownies and 2nd hand book shops... :drool:

Alisaura said:
Grishnackh, as in the orc dude from LOTR?

Crikey. :yikes:

That's the one.

Mayhem's Count Grishnackh is better known as Varg Vikernes, racist neo-Nazi fuckwit whose solo project, Burzum, is apparently nonetheless incredible black metal. I'm yet to listen, as I don't think I could even tolerate illegally downloading anything the guy has ever done!

All I can say is, thank goodness for that no-smoking-indoors-anywhere rule!! :bow:

That is made of win.

Though it cracks me up whenever I pass the Royal Melbourne Hospital walking from the route 55 to university and there's mobs of people smoking outside. What, to speed up the transition from smoking a fag to the lung cancer ward?

cinnaminson said:
I used to go out to the "dicotheque" when I was 18 and 19. It was fun then but kissing random boys and getting totally bladdered isn't attractive when yer a little bit older.:(

Boom-cha!

add me to the list of people who dont do pubs/ clubs shudder...

i cant handle superficial chicks, or the men who seek them in those places.

i much prefer a few bevvies at home, decent music , play some cards hve a good yack and a good laugh .

"If you went to the Uni of Melbourne, you'll know what I mean when I say that the lower two floors of the ERC are heaven. Well, were heaven. Here's hoping the current renovations don't brutalise them too much. I need my humanities archive! I just love flicking through all the old books and documents. As for school ... I just about wore the impression of my back into one of the library's chairs. I got to school half an hour early every day so that I could hang around in the library. I'd swear that I was the only person who ever touched the copy of Dante's Divine Comedy too. It was such a gorgeous copy and I offered to buy it at the end of grade 12 but they wouldn't let me have it." - Axver

Lol, again that sounds exactly like me (except for touching Dante's Divine Comedy - unfortunately I haven't read it... ) :( It's so unfair your school wouldn't let you buy it!

The lower two floors of the ERC sound amazing. Unfortunately I actually chose NOT to go to Melbourne - and a part of me still regrets it. I did both my under-grad and post-grad at Monash instead, as it's much closer to home and I was offered a scholarship there...

Monash! *gasp* :tsk:

:wink:

Add me to the list of non-club people. I just don't get why you'd want to dance, hook up with someone, probably do something you'd regret, and never see them again.

And I'm reasonably nerdy too, but not to Axver's level. Mostly I sit in the Rowden White Library and read fiction...

Sooo ... meet-up on the 17th at the Loudest Nightclub in Melbourne, eh? :wink:

AchtungGirl219 said:
Hahaha! Yeah, sure. It could be the attack of the nerds... :)

We'll take over the PA. Instead of a mindless dance track, I will read from Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, and maybe a bit of Lermontov. Just imagine how quickly the nightclub will empty!

The lower two floors of the ERC sound amazing. Unfortunately I actually chose NOT to go to Melbourne - and a part of me still regrets it. I did both my under-grad and post-grad at Monash instead, as it's much closer to home and I was offered a scholarship there...

You say that like it's an excuse. :wink:

I did my first year of university at the Uni of Queensland. Great university with a lovely campus in a bend of the Brisbane River, but I hate Queensland in general and UniMelb rules all, so I made the move.

Righto, so who here is coming with me on the 25th of April to see Porcupine Tree at The Metro?

:crickets chirp:

:tumbleweed:

... what, none of you?

It's going to OWN. Porcupine Tree in Australia for the first time ever! I swear to God, this is the best music news I have ever heard in my life. I think it's just downhill from here, even if U2 hired me to design their setlists.

:hyper: As if you couldn't tell. :hyper:

major_panic said:
Monash! *gasp* :tsk:
:tongue: Nothing wrong with Monash... Spent four or five years of my life there :wink:

I heart the John Medley Library. I don't know if it still exists, I know it was under threat due to voluntary student unionism :)madwife: )... it had/s a HUGE collection of music and I spent many many blissful hours there with my head in headphones. I also read a crapload of sci-fi/fantasy books from there...

*nostalgia*

What sort of things do Porcupine Tree do? :scratch:

I take it John Medley must have been some important guy - at UniMelb, most of my tutorials are in the John Medley Building. As for VSU, it doesn't seem to have negatively impacted anything as far as I can tell. But then again, despite all my social democrat tendencies, I wanted VSU - I hated throwing away hundreds of dollars on a union whose facilities I never used and don't need.

Porcupine Tree play progressive rock - sometimes atmospheric and almost psychedelic like Pink Floyd, sometimes with more focused pop-rock structures, and sometimes heavier. Often melancholic and dark. Let me convert you. :drool:

I actually really like the Porcupine Tree songs I've heard... Don't Hate Me just came on my ipod on random... I don't own any of their albums though... any songs you can suggest for me to d/l? (I'm rather poor right now... have to wait awhile before I buy any new albums)!

Hi Alisaura! John Medley is definitely still there! :) I hung out there a lot in 1st year... :)

Lol, I kind of think the "rivalry" between Monash and Melbourne can be compared to the rivalry between Melbourne and Sydney... definitely nothing wrong with Monash!

AchtungGirl219 said:
I actually really like the Porcupine Tree songs I've heard... Don't Hate Me just came on my ipod on random... I don't own any of their albums though... any songs you can suggest for me to d/l? (I'm rather poor right now... have to wait awhile before I buy any new albums)!

In the list of my top 50 albums that I linked to in an earlier post, I had five Porcupine Tree albums in my top 25: Stupid Dream, Deadwing, In Absentia, Fear Of A Blank Planet, and The Sky Moves Sideways. I think that as far as U2 fans go, probably the best songs would be: Lazarus, Piano Lessons (my favourite PT song), Pure Narcotic, Trains, Drown With Me, Waiting Phase One, Rest Will Flow, Stars Die, and She's Moved On.

If you're also into Pink Floyd too, then the song The Sky Moves Sideways (both phases, or the full 34 minute alternate version) is essential. And for the melancholic music fans, you need Collapse The Light Into Earth, Stop Swimming, and Fadeaway.

I'd be happy to do PT sampler discs for anyone who wants them when we do the Melburnian Interferencers meet up. If I can convert just one person to wanting to come to the gig, then it would be worth it. :drool:

Lol, I kind of think the "rivalry" between Monash and Melbourne can be compared to the rivalry between Melbourne and Sydney... definitely nothing wrong with Monash!

It reminds me of the rivalry back in Queensland between the University of QLD (where I did my first year) and "Super TAFE", also known as the Queensland University of Technology.

But then of course there is the biggest rivalry of them all, the trans-Tasman rivalry! And may I just use my favourite LiveJournal icon to make my stance perfectly clear:

You folk have no idea how happy I am about this Porcupine Tree news. I found out at about 9pm and now it's nearly 2am and I'm still just sitting here listening to them and grinning my face off.

I don't think I was this happy even when it was announced that U2 were going to New Zealand on the Vertigo Tour.

/pointlesspost

Well, the announcement didn't actually say "U2 are going to rock out One Tree Hill in New Zealand". Right up until they soundchecked it in Melbourne a week before the Kiwi gigs, many people here expected U2 to only do One Tree Hill acoustically or as a snippet.

So, on balance, I would say that I am more excited about the Porcupine Tree tour than I was about U2. Whether the actual gigs will top One Tree Hill being played properly, within sight of (N)One Tree Hill itself, remains to be seen.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/yep-adelaides-a-backwater/2008/01/31/1201714110465.html

More than half of voters in an Adelaide newspaper's online opinion poll agree with Victorian Premier John Brumby - the city is a "backwater".

The Adelaide Advertiser poll had attracted more than 2700 votes by 5pm today, in response to the question: "Is Adelaide a backwater?"

Forty-eight per cent said Adelaide lagged behind the eastern capitals and another 16% agreed it was a backwater but said that was part of the appeal.

Twenty-seven per cent said Mr Brumby was "just a jerk", and 7% based their defence on the number of major events on in Adelaide at this time of year.

The remaining 2% were unaccounted for in the poll.

Mr Brumby sparked a verbal joust yesterday when he said that unless Victoria pushes ahead with channel deepening in Port Phillip Bay, Melbourne will end up a "backwater", like Adelaide.

:rofl:

You know, he's completely right...

Also, Aus-NZ rivalry is always great. Wait till the cricket matches start...

Ax, when's this gig of yours? I've actually heard of the band, but none of their songs.

major_panic said:
http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/yep-adelaides-a-backwater/2008/01/31/1201714110465.html

More than half of voters in an Adelaide newspaper's online opinion poll agree with Victorian Premier John Brumby - the city is a "backwater".

HA. That's great.

In the words of The Chaser, "it's like Frankston - but with churches!"

Also, Aus-NZ rivalry is always great. Wait till the cricket matches start...

Actually, it mercifully went nearly unnoticed late last year when Australia destroyed the Black Caps in December in the Chappell-Hadlee series. :(

Now it's time to see if New Zealand can restore some pride and beat England while Australia's sure to slay India and Sri Lanka. I'm looking forward to the Twenty20 game tomorrow though - wish I seeing it at the G rather than on my TV set!

Ax, when's this gig of yours? I've actually heard of the band, but none of their songs.

25th of April at the Metro (Bourke St, near Exhibition St).

It's going to ruuuule. :drool:

Axver said:
Porcupine Tree play progressive rock - sometimes atmospheric and almost psychedelic like Pink Floyd, sometimes with more focused pop-rock structures, and sometimes heavier. Often melancholic and dark. Let me convert you. :drool:
One is intrigued... :hmm:

AchtungGirl219 said:
Hi Alisaura! John Medley is definitely still there! :) I hung out there a lot in 1st year... :)
Good to know :D :up:
I haven't been upstairs in the union bldg for ages... Maybe last year's MURP AGM :reject:
I still go to that hairdresser though... how many other places can a girl get a trim for $19? :yippie:

Axver said:
I'd be happy to do PT sampler discs for anyone who wants them when we do the Melburnian Interferencers meet up. If I can convert just one person to wanting to come to the gig, then it would be worth it. :drool:
I'm up for a sampler at the least... how much are tickets to the gig?

anyone want to go to a day on the green on the bellarine peninsular at a winery ??
its jimmy barnes and joe cocker but the tickets are like 96 bucks BOOOOOO... i wonder if jimmy will come back to geelong to play the wool exchange that would rock and is way cheaper

Hi all.

Sorry I've been absent from the thread. My grandfather passed away yesterday (yesterday? Bloody hell, today's felt like a week and yesterday evening a month). I was quite close to him. Posting here was just too much a reminder of real life. At least mindless EYKIW posting took my mind off things. This made me too aware of going on with life without him. But I've gotten through things today. So here I am again. :wave:

Glad we didn't schedule a meet-up for 03/02, heh. We should get moving on something for 17/02. Afternoon would be best. Uh ... let me know if any of you have any really good ideas for what to do. I'm not quite ready to take a lead role in getting the ball rolling right now. Very much looking forward to meeting everyone though. I need something nice to look forward to.

Hope all of you and your families are well.

Thank you. I'm trying to remember all the good things and get on with life like he'd want. How good a job I'm doing of that ... it depends when you get me.

I should say, though, that my plans are in a bit of flux. I might be going to New Zealand for the funeral, I don't know yet. If not, I might at least go spend some time with family on the Gold Coast. But I'll be back here on the 17th, since I have the EITS concert on the 16th. I just might suddenly go incommunicado for a few days, that's all. Thought you guys should be aware.

Back
Top Bottom