Melbourne Meet Up thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also, guys, let me be honest here.

I moved to Melbourne a year ago. I got stuck into my studies all last year, didn't get involved in any clubs at uni or anything (really kicking myself for that), and thus did a really shit job of meeting people. Of the two people I am friends with from uni, one has now permanently moved to Canberra while the other won't be back in Melbourne for another month.

I am thus very bored.

So if any of you do want to meet for anything at all before a fullblown Interferencers gathering, just for lunch or something in the city or whatever - that'd be really cool. Just an idea anyway ...

:reject:

awwwwwwwwww axver :hug:

if you think you will be so bored as to ever come visit geelong you are always welcome here too (you would have to be pretty fucking bored though)

Actually, being the railway enthusiast I am, I've thought of jumping on the train to Geelong, just to ride and explore the network. Plus, besides the drive between Albury-Wodonga and Melbourne, I haven't seen any of Victoria outside of inner Melbourne yet!

Maybe I'll have to do that soon. :hmm:

really ! the train trip melb to geelong is good , and then you could head on down to the bellarine railway at queenscliff where they run steam trains and old diesels , and a thing called "the blues train" where you get dinner and some awesome blues music.

http://www.bpr.org.au/

man im a dork. dad is a train driver i cant help it. :reject:

Oh yes, I've heard about that! It looks really awesome. I did Puffing Billy's luncheon train last year (which I suppose counts as getting out of inner Melbourne too) when my mother came to visit and it was a really fantastic day out. I'd love to do the Bellarine Railway. Might have to think about that for next weekend if we decide 17/02 is better than 03/02. How hard is it to get from the regular Melbourne <-> Geelong trains to the Bellarine Railway?

Great, thank you!

Looks like there aren't exactly a shitload of services, but I'm sure I could figure out some sort of fun day out ...

I have no life, so I'm free pretty much any weekend. Or any day for lunch in the city/stuff after work. It was just bad timing you all decided to do something tomorrow, since I usually visit the folks on long weekends... but it looks like that's fallen through. :(

Good luck with the interview, Danny! And don't worry about the Crowdies show... I wish everyone else back there was as into it as you were, so I could have joined in without feeling so self-conscious :reject: Ten points for enthusiasm! :up:

Sorry to hear about the muffins, Ax... and for future reference, there is no such thing as "too much butter" when cooking. :drool:
*has been enjoying her mum's chocolate brownies*

Sorry to hear also that the gathering fell through... there's always February!
There are tentative plans among the U2Australia yahoogroups list to get a bunch of us to U2 3D when it comes out (all signs point to April so far), would be cool to get both lots of U2 fans together :D

Whereabouts in the city can you get to easily, Axver? I work around the William st./Flinders lane end of things... I usually get 30 mins for lunch (cheap bastards :madwife: ), but it's no biggie to get in early and take a long lunch now and then.

Axver said:
I moved to Melbourne a year ago. I got stuck into my studies all last year, didn't get involved in any clubs at uni or anything (really kicking myself for that), and thus did a really shit job of meeting people. Of the two people I am friends with from uni, one has now permanently moved to Canberra while the other won't be back in Melbourne for another month.

That's what I'm around for, old chap!

I won't be able to make it on weekends - I am ridiculously busy with work, church and ferrying my sister around unfortunately. They're permanently booked out for me.

Looks like I'll have to see you all at U2 3D!

Ax, if you're gonna be around uni on O-Week or first week, I'm gonna be walking around all dressed up in Chinese clothing and sitting at the Wushu club table. The Chinese guy who's medium height and thin. I'll be carrying a spear or sword most of the time. Come say hi if you see me!

Alisaura said:
Sorry to hear about the muffins, Ax... and for future reference, there is no such thing as "too much butter" when cooking. :drool:

Actually, this time, there was! If I hadn't bunged in too much butter all at once, I probably would've had alright muffins. But I used too much, and my attempts to thicken the mix are what ruined it in the end.

Ah well, live and learn. I won't make that mistake again.

Whereabouts in the city can you get to easily, Axver? I work around the William st./Flinders lane end of things... I usually get 30 mins for lunch (cheap bastards :madwife: ), but it's no biggie to get in early and take a long lunch now and then.

Ha, that's the part I can get to easiest! I live in Brunswick West on the route 55 that goes straight down William Street. I actually don't know that part of the city very well at all though. I've ridden through plenty of times to get to the Domain Road Interchange, but only ever gotten off in that area once, to visit the Immigration Museum.

major_panic said:
That's what I'm around for, old chap!

I won't be able to make it on weekends - I am ridiculously busy with work, church and ferrying my sister around unfortunately. They're permanently booked out for me.

Looks like I'll have to see you all at U2 3D!

Ax, if you're gonna be around uni on O-Week or first week, I'm gonna be walking around all dressed up in Chinese clothing and sitting at the Wushu club table. The Chinese guy who's medium height and thin. I'll be carrying a spear or sword most of the time. Come say hi if you see me!

And how many millions of people fit the definition of "the Chinese guy who's medium height and thin"? :wink:

I suppose the whole get-up would help now it down a bit, but I'd probably be too shy to just turn up unannounced in case I get the wrong person! If you want to plan something more specific though, I'd definitely be there. Well, hopefully. My one friend who's still living in Melbourne gets back late February and I have no idea if we'll be doing much or not. Certainly anything before 25/02 would be really cool though.

And I'm never hard to find - how many Kiwi albinos do you know?

Sorry to hear tomorrow's been cancelled. :(

Good luck with your interview, COBL04!

Aww, Axver, you sound exactly like I was at uni... ! I envy your boredom now though! Seriously - I'll take some of it off you if you'd like to take some of my stress and anxiety.

Depending on how I'm coping with work, the 17th sounds good to me too. :)

Axver said:
Ha, that's the part I can get to easiest! I live in Brunswick West on the route 55 that goes straight down William Street. I actually don't know that part of the city very well at all though. I've ridden through plenty of times to get to the Domain Road Interchange, but only ever gotten off in that area once, to visit the Immigration Museum.
Cool... I haven't really strayed far beyond the eating places immediately around my building... I keep meaning to get into the Immigration Museum one day.
Crown is within reach, too... I park there every day :wink:

Anyway, I just noticed you're not premium any more, so I'll go back and find your email address when I'm more awake, and email my number to you or something.

Looks like the 17th is sounding good! *pencils it in diary*

AchtungGirl219 said:
Aww, Axver, you sound exactly like I was at uni... ! I envy your boredom now though! Seriously - I'll take some of it off you if you'd like to take some of my stress and anxiety.

Depending on how I'm coping with work, the 17th sounds good to me too. :)

Not so sure I want stress and anxiety, but I'd like something to do. :wink:

University can be a terribly lonely place when you're shy and aren't the kind to throw yourself into the various clubs or go out of a Friday night or whatever ...

Alisaura said:

Cool... I haven't really strayed far beyond the eating places immediately around my building... I keep meaning to get into the Immigration Museum one day.
Crown is within reach, too... I park there every day :wink:

Anyway, I just noticed you're not premium any more, so I'll go back and find your email address when I'm more awake, and email my number to you or something.

Looks like the 17th is sounding good! *pencils it in diary*

My premium membership expired in June last year. :( To save you looking back, my e-mail address is amakaxver[at]gmail.com :)

Are there many good eating places around that part of the city? I've only really noticed all the office towers, heh. The Immigration Museum wasn't bad. It's not the most riveting museum in history, but I enjoyed it and there's a couple of rather neat interactive displays.

"University can be a terribly lonely place when you're shy and aren't the kind to throw yourself into the various clubs or go out of a Friday night or whatever" - Axver

I know... I was a library girl/nerd at uni (and at school too, lol)! :D

I also hate clubbing with a passion. I just feel awkward and wrong and never go. Last year I did get involved in a couple of social justice groups though and it was the best thing I ever did! Made some really good friends through it... and got to do something I was passionate about too. :)

Hopefully uni will be less lonely for you this year too.

Hi Cinnaminson! :wave:

Young & Jacksons on Flinders Street has got pretty good food, but it's fairly pricey. Other than that, I'm not too sure about food around Flinders St....

Axver said:

And how many millions of people fit the definition of "the Chinese guy who's medium height and thin"? :wink:

:lmao:

About 1.2 billion?

Axver said:

I suppose the whole get-up would help now it down a bit, but I'd probably be too shy to just turn up unannounced in case I get the wrong person! If you want to plan something more specific though, I'd definitely be there. Well, hopefully. My one friend who's still living in Melbourne gets back late February and I have no idea if we'll be doing much or not. Certainly anything before 25/02 would be really cool though.

And I'm never hard to find - how many Kiwi albinos do you know?

Fair enough - I'll look out for you then! Once again I seriously doubt that I'll be free for anything having a cousin coming over to live with us this Wednesday - gotta settle him in, show him around etc., so I won't be able to set anything in stone, unfortunately.

I will look out for you at uni though.

Last edited:
:wave: Evenin'!

AchtungGirl219 said:
I know... I was a library girl/nerd at uni (and at school too, lol)! :D

I also hate clubbing with a passion. I just feel awkward and wrong and never go. Last year I did get involved in a couple of social justice groups though and it was the best thing I ever did! Made some really good friends through it... and got to do something I was passionate about too. :)

If you went to the Uni of Melbourne, you'll know what I mean when I say that the lower two floors of the ERC are heaven. Well, were heaven. Here's hoping the current renovations don't brutalise them too much. I need my humanities archive! I just love flicking through all the old books and documents. As for school ... I just about wore the impression of my back into one of the library's chairs. I got to school half an hour early every day so that I could hang around in the library. I'd swear that I was the only person who ever touched the copy of Dante's Divine Comedy too. It was such a gorgeous copy and I offered to buy it at the end of grade 12 but they wouldn't let me have it.

/librarynerd

I so don't get the whole clubbing thing and I'm glad I'm not alone in that feeling! I'd rather sit down and have a really good conversation with someone over good food than not be able to hear people over the music and get mindlessly sloshed.

I've thought of joining some organisations associated with my interests ... but railway enthusiast societies are almost always just 50+ year old guys and I don't fit in at all.

major_panic said:
:lmao:

About 1.2 billion?

:lol:

Don't forget about the short ones!

Fair enough - I'll look out for you then! Once again I seriously doubt that I'll be free for anything having a cousin coming over to live with us this Wednesday - gotta settle him in, show him around etc., so I won't be able to set anything in stone, unfortunately.

I will look out for you at uni though.

Are you the busiest person in Melbourne or something? :wink:

I hope to see you around! I might come during O Week to have a look around. Probably would be a good time to get my act together and join the debating club in any case. I miss debating, and maybe I've taken out my urge to do rebuttal on some threads on this forum! :laugh:

Axver said:
I so don't get the whole clubbing thing and I'm glad I'm not alone in that feeling! I'd rather sit down and have a really good conversation with someone over good food than not be able to hear people over the music and get mindlessly sloshed.
People who hate clubs and like conversations! :hi5:

I never set foot in a nightclub until last year, and that was only because it was part of a friend's hen's night. I'm not keen to repeat the experience... :yuck:

I tried to join a lapidary club in Canberra... same thing, retired 50+ people who were very nice, but just not my scene.

I'm up the other end of Flinders St, Maj. Panic... there are some cafes and bits and pieces near my work. The satay bar there used to be awesome, but it's slid back to average now... Ho hum.

Well, I'm back in Melbourne now... the only weekend I'm not free in the foreseeable future is the 1st of March.

Back
Top Bottom