Melbourne Meet Up thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't noticed them. They pissed me off more when I was in Queensland. I could bring some repellent with me just in case.

I've also dug up a few items of U2 memorabilia to bring with me ...

:D

I'm just thinking of old U2 stuff to dig up myself to bring along on Monday. Hmmmm .. that's if I can find it! Considering I'm an old chook, my stuff is positively ancient :wink:

I'm also broke :sad: so I'll try to scrape together some bits and pieces. Don't drink all the wine before I get there!!!!!!!

So, wait, am I old or young here? I know COBL's still in his teens. I'm 21.

I'll bring five muffins, one for each of us. Not sure if I can really bring any other food/drink. I've got wine glasses though, if we need them!

Axver said:

I'll bring five muffins, one for each of us.

awww ... that sounds really sweet actually! I'll see if I can get some snackies, maybe a bottle of soft-drink and see if I can pinch a bottle of wine from home :lol:

Letsee... well .. I'm older than you and COBL ... and ermmmmm ... younger than Bono :wink:

Wine of any kind is good. White, red, port, you name it. :drool:

For my 21st birthday, my father got out three wines he'd bought in 1987 - a white, a red, and a port. A good time was had by all.

Though - even back in high school, my friends remarked that I'm "a 47 year old trapped in a 17 year old's body". How many other 21 year olds do you know who would rather read Fyodor Dostoevsky than go to the beach, or when conned into going to the beach, will sit on the sand reading Dostoevsky?

Axver said:
Though - even back in high school, my friends remarked that I'm "a 47 year old trapped in a 17 year old's body". How many other 21 year olds do you know who would rather read Fyodor Dostoevsky than go to the beach, or when conned into going to the beach, will sit on the sand reading Dostoevsky?

:lol:

Well, I do have my serious side ... but, basically I'm an overgrown teenager. :wink:

I think somebody stole my teenage years. One day, I was 12 and had some Pokemon cards and played backyard cricket with guys from the neighbourhood. Next thing I know, it's eight years later and I'm looking like a total fucking fool at the beach because my friend who grew up in a landlocked town 10 hours from the sea wanted to go for a swim. I'm in suit trousers, well-pressed shirt, and reading Dostoevsky.

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED.

TranceEnding said:
oh fuck it ...... I'm 39! :sad:

Is that bad??!?!??!?!?! :huh: :wink:

Huh, I got the impression you were younger. But 39's cool. My U2 obsessed uncle who got me into the band in the first place is 39. And he's one of the coolest people I know.

He also went to the Kiwi Lovetown gigs. I want his life, or at least that part of it.

Nothing wrong with that at all! :wink: Age is just a number :yes:

Axver, maybe you'll make up for your lost youth by having a really spectacular mid-life crisis... :wink:

Alisaura said:
Nothing wrong with that at all! :wink: Age is just a number :yes:

Axver, maybe you'll make up for your lost youth by having a really spectacular mid-life crisis... :wink:

My brain will have probably exploded before I reach middle age. Either from working too hard at some obscure historical research project or from U2 finally debuting Heartland live. One of the two.

Alisaura said:

Ack. Share? *jealous*

:sigh:

He also has met Bono on at least two random occasions! Once at a gig, maybe Sinead O'Connor? He was just standing up the back near the soundboard - and there's Bono beside him.

Lucky bastard!

Axver said:

Huh, I got the impression you were younger. But 39's cool. My U2 obsessed uncle who got me into the band in the first place is 39. And he's one of the coolest people I know.

He also went to the Kiwi Lovetown gigs. I want his life, or at least that part of it.

:D See! That's what I mean ... overgrown teenager right here :wink: Most people I know are shocked when I tell them my age. I work in aged care, so ... one time one of the residents I work with demanded to see my driver's licence because she didn't believe me when I told her (just after a birthday I had).

Axver said:
My brain will have probably exploded before I reach middle age. Either from working too hard at some obscure historical research project or from U2 finally debuting Heartland live. One of the two.
I know which way I'd prefer to go...
Heartland :drool:
If I may (further) de-rail things for a moment, what's your pick for the best Lovetown boot? I have a new hard drive just begging to be filled up with bootlegs :D

TranceEnding said:
:D See! That's what I mean ... overgrown teenager right here :wink: Most people I know are shocked when I tell them my age. I work in aged care, so ... one time one of the residents I work with demanded to see my driver's licence because she didn't believe me when I told her (just after a birthday I had).

:lol:

Wait. Hang on a minute here. Maybe it was YOU who stole my teenage years. So here you are, enjoying this extended teenagedom, while I'm extolling the virtues of reading Dostoevsky and Hugo and Tolstoy and whatnot!

... but I like being a nerd, so it's all good.

Axver said:
He also has met Bono on at least two random occasions! Once at a gig, maybe Sinead O'Connor? He was just standing up the back near the soundboard - and there's Bono beside him.
:sad:
I really need to perfect this memory-stealing technology.... :evil:

Alisaura said:

I know which way I'd prefer to go...
Heartland :drool:
If I may (further) de-rail things for a moment, what's your pick for the best Lovetown boot? I have a new hard drive just begging to be filled up with bootlegs :D

I think I'd take the Heartland way out too, but there's some really cool stuff in Kiwi social history too. OK, you're all going to stone me for my nerdiness now, aren't you? Well ... that nerdiness also brought you a lot of stuff on U2VT! So there.

I recommend the following Lovetown boots very highly. The Dublin ones are soundboard.

1989-11-18, Sydney
1989-12-01, Osaka
1989-12-26, 27, 30, 31, Dublin
1989-01-10, Rotterdam

The Aussie shows are usually not that great audio quality. If memory serves correctly, 1989-10-09 is probably the pick of the Melbourne concerts.

Back
Top Bottom