Melbourne Meet Up thread - Page 22 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Interference Gatherings
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2008, 01:49 AM   #316
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 11:21 AM
You're forgetting here that migratory patterns reveal a clear undercover invasion of Australia by New Zealanders.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:55 AM   #317
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:21 AM

It's ok, Kiwis are still better than Tasmanians...

Old 02-14-2008, 02:22 AM   #318
Vocal parasite

Shouldn't you be joining me in ganging up on Australia, Maj. "Here's a description of me ... and 1 billion other Chinese people" Panic?

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-14-2008, 02:57 AM   #319
Acrobat

Local Time: 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
Hmm. Is 1pm a good time? That suits me well. Do we have enough of us to make this work?

... wow, somebody who takes historians seriously. That's new. My father seems more impressed with the fact I'll one day have a PhD than with what I'm actually doing, and most people ask me "... why?", especially when they learn my primary field of interest is New Zealand history. I try to point out that we all live in the context of our history and it shapes the present so we damn well better understand what happens, but it seems to go in one ear and out the other for some people.
^ OMG, I couldn't agree with you more....

Your father sounds like my mother (except that she doesn't know what a PhD is! lol!)... I was an inspiring historian myself (20th Century, with a focus on the Holocaust), but due to family pressure decided to do my dip-ed after I completed my Arts degree (majoring in both history and psychology). So you're not alone! But seriously, don't let anyone deter you as I did!

1pm sounds good.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:58 AM   #320
Acrobat

Local Time: 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by major_panic

It's ok, Kiwis are still better than Tasmanians...
Hahaha! That's the quote of this thread!!
Old 02-14-2008, 04:38 AM   #321
Blue Crack Supplier

1pm is good for me.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:25 AM   #322
Refugee

1 pm on Sunday is fine with me also ... but ermmmmm .. where are we meeting up again? Is it Flagstaff Gardens?
Old 02-14-2008, 05:33 AM   #323
Vocal parasite

So, that's the four of us, all good for 1pm at Flagstaff Gardens? Where precisely shall we meet and how will we identify each other?

... OK, so I stick out like a sore thumb.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-14-2008, 05:49 AM   #324
Refugee

I'm coming from St Kilda on Sunday (I have a yoga class that finishes at midday ) so if I get that light rail tram, I'll be in town by 1pm hopefully. Maybe we could meet at Spencer street station? Or if I am running late, I can meet you guys at the gardens??

I'll be the one wearing ...... yoga clothes??!?!

Here's a little photo of me, with Steve Kilbey from the Church

Probably doesn't help much for identification purposes ... but it's probably just another excuse to post this fave pic of mine
Old 02-14-2008, 05:54 AM   #325
Refugee

oh, Axver ... I'm still hoping to get a P Tree ticket tomorrow I'll run home from work (I finish at 3pm) and book one online - fingers crossed I can still get one!
Old 02-14-2008, 06:42 AM   #326
Vocal parasite

Since I don't expect anybody to go back and try to find the link to this in the depths of this thread, here's that picture of me again. Now, I already have Ali and Trance's mobile phone numbers, but it'd probably be a good idea to get everyone else's too. Well, at the moment, I think "everyone else" is just AchtungGirl219. Anybody else in? In any case, my e-mail for number exchanging is amakaxver[at]gmail.com

And perhaps an easily identifiable place to meet is the intersection of Bourke and Spencer Streets outside Spencer Street Station? That's handy for me, and on the route 96, so handy for TE too. We can then proceed from there up to Flagstaff.

So who's bringing what? I again can offer muffins!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-14-2008, 06:43 AM   #327
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by TranceEnding
oh, Axver ... I'm still hoping to get a P Tree ticket tomorrow I'll run home from work (I finish at 3pm) and book one online - fingers crossed I can still get one!
Awesome! I'll be online at 9am getting my tickets for Melbourne, Sydney, and Brisbane.

I'm fairly sure you'll be able to get a ticket at 3pm - I don't expect this to go like hotcakes, U2 style. And it's all General Admission, so no worries about getting a dodgy seat by buying a ticket late!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-14-2008, 06:55 AM   #328
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
Shouldn't you be joining me in ganging up on Australia, Maj. "Here's a description of me ... and 1 billion other Chinese people" Panic?
Very true, but seeing as I'm a Brit by birth, a Malaysian by living, an Australian by choice and Chinese in soul, I can't really pay out Australians that much. Or I'll get kicked out of the country (under Howard, anyway).

That, and I did do high school here and loved every minute of it.

Anyway, I hope you all really enjoy meeting up, and hope it actually works out this time!
Old 02-14-2008, 08:08 AM   #329
Blue Crack Supplier

*makes note* 1pm Sunday, corner Bourke and Spencer...

*also makes note of TranceEnding's pic for Nick Cave thing tomorrow*

*tries to find non-dorky pic of self*....

Well, this'll do... Me as of last September:

I miss Hawaii. And that pic is bigger than I thought it was

I won't have a cocktail with me, but I will be wearing a U2 t-shirt of some description. And I'm kinda tall.

Bringing things... .... my baking skills stretch to those choc-peanut-butter-noodle spidery things. Is it gonna be hot on Sunday?
Old 02-14-2008, 08:22 AM   #330
Vocal parasite

Ali, I do hope that by "kinda tall", you do not mean "makes 5'6-7" Axver feel very short" in the same way the obnoxiously 6'5" or so bono_man2002 does whenever he comes to Melbourne!

And frustratingly, they're forecasting 31 degrees for Sunday. Ugh. I won't be wearing a U2 shirt then. I'll need long sleeves to shade my arms. But all you really need to look for is my hair.

Quote:
Originally posted by major_panic
Very true, but seeing as I'm a Brit by birth, a Malaysian by living, an Australian by choice and Chinese in soul, I can't really pay out Australians that much. Or I'll get kicked out of the country (under Howard, anyway).
... woah. Now that's one hell of an identity. I'm just a boring old Kiwi descended from some of the country's earliest settlers who came to Australia because his Mum wanted to.

Quote:
That, and I did do high school here and loved every minute of it.
Believe it or not, despite all of my pro-Kiwi statements, I will actually have spent the majority of my life in Australia come June this year. June the 27th, I think. I worked out the precise date a while back but now I can't quite be certain.

Gig pictures | Blog