Melbourne Meet Up thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wait, I'm an idiot. Royal Park might not be THAT impractical. From Spencer Street Station, you can just catch an Upfield line train to Royal Park Railway Station! Now, we'd probably have to walk from the railway station to anywhere in the park worth stopping and picnicking at, but - well, there's walking involved to find somewhere to stop in Flagstaff Gardens or around Fed Square too!

So tell me what you guys think. What options do you like? I'm very flexible and I don't have to travel far (I live on the route 55 tram), so I'd prefer to accommodate those of you who are actually coming from outside the inner city.

mysterious_jen said:

NICK CAVE EXHIBIT ?????????????

:faint:

omg is that still on :drool:

YESSSSSSSSSSSS ... ummmm .. until March/April, as far as I remember :drool: I went a couple of weekends ago with my sis and it was excellent. Going again on Feb 15 I think ... a couple of photographers that have worked with NC/Bad Seeds/Birthday party will be there in the evening for info/talk/seminar kinda thing :hyper:

I'm happy to meet up at any location :) I thought I should ask actually, since I possibly will be the last to arrive on Monday, could someone send me a mobile # so that I can text to make sure of your exact location when I'm on my way (esp if it's the Royal Park option)??? Just incase! Just email me at garlandsofflowers@yahoo.com.au if ya like.

OK, here's maps of the Royal Park option. The overview shows where Spencer Street is at the bottom left and Royal Park at the top. The detail is pretty well labelled.

0007qhea

0007rrbz

I just e-mailed you about mobile phone numbers - certainly a good idea to exchange them. If anybody wants to get in touch with me, amakaxver[at]gmail.com is my address.

:wave:

I'll do my best to make it, but I can't give any guarantees, unfortunately. Seeing as how it'll be a public holiday and I'm a good responsible Asian kid, I might have to stay at home...

An alternate route to Axver's proposed location is the one I take to Whitley College - get off at Melb Central, go out the Elizabeth Street exit, then catch a tram down Royal Parade, get off just after the university and walk a bit. Easy!

D'oh! I'm up in Castlemaine at my parents' place for the long weekend. :( It's my dad's birthday next week so we're kinda celebrating early, since there's this convenient long weekend now.

Dunno if I count as a "cool Melbournian Interferencer anyway", but I can't make it.... sorry! :sigh:

I would like to catch the Nick Cave exhibition at some point, too... I work in the city, I might have to see what time the gallery closes at night or something.

I hope you can make it, Maj. Panic, and it's a shame you can't, Alisaura! Well, when we do the proper full-blown meet-up, we'll try to make sure it's one we can all attend. The one on Monday's really just for those of us who are available and keen to do something. I think for at least a year we've been saying that a Melburnian Interferencers meet-up would be a good idea, so I'm glad we're finally doing something about it!

Precisely. Crowdies fans for the win!

Though does mis-spelling 'Melburnian' as 'Melbournian' tarnish one's coolness? :wink:

Alright, I think that today, we need to definitively work out where we're going to hold this. Royal Park and Flagstaff Gardens are my two favoured options. Here's my map again, obviously with Royal Park marked, and you can see where Flagstaff Gardens is just a couple of blocks from Spencer Street.

0007qhea

Pros and cons of Royal Park as I see it:
+ It's already sort of the plan
+ It's nice and large.
+ Should be fairly uncrowded
+ The Upfield railway line provides a direct connection Spencer Street --> Royal Park and runs every 20 minutes
- Might be harder for some of you to get to, though

Pros and cons of Flagstaff Gardens as I see it:
+ Much more centrally accessible
+ Within walking distance of Spencer Street and Melbourne Central stations
+ It's also nice
- Smaller and probably busier though

Plus I simply know Royal Park best out of all the parkland, so that's why I suggested it. Let me know your preferences - I'm perfectly fine with either. Both are easily accessible for me, so I'd like to make things easiest for those of you coming from further out.

If a number of you are coming in on the same train, I'd be quite happy to meet you at Spencer Street and then walk up to Flagstaff Gardens, if we go with that option.

:hmm:

Well, I guess, for me anyway, the Flagstaff option is the most convenient. I just thought that at least that way, it won't be such a rush to make it ... and there's even Flagstaff station, so I could just hop off there when I come in on the train :D

Both options are do-able, but that's my preference :)

Flagstaff station won't be open though, will it? I know it's closed weekends, so I assumed it wouldn't be open on a public holiday either.

But Flagstaff isn't even a real station... It pretends to be, but it isn't. Just like East Richmond and Burnley stations.

Sorry y'all, but I can't make it - I have a cousin coming to live with us, and I have to redesign my room so that two people can live in it. Disappointing I know, but that's life.

Ax, I will probably see you around uni though! And, of course, everyone at the Feb proper meet!

Oh, that's a shame you won't be able to make it this time around. Hopefully I will see you at university! Well, at least it sounds like there will be five of us, so that's cool. Hopefully we'll be able to get a few more to something in February.

And by the looks of things, Flagstaff Gardens suits everybody much more than Royal Park, so let's go with that!

Yeah :mad: ... I just checked and the train doesn't stop at Flagstaff, being a public holiday and all. Never mind, I can just hop off at Spencer or Melbourne Central ... it's not too far :)

I should be able to get the 4.30 pm train into town ... takes about 20 minutes to get in, so if I get there about 5, is that a problem with anyone?? You don't have to wait for me of course :wink: ... there's no trouble if I head down myself.

Wow, good luck with redesigning your room, major-panic!

This is such a great idea!! But unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to make it either... I begin my new career the very next day, and am using Monday to finish planning and organising everything... :( I'm so scared, lol! I can't get used to the idea that I'm not going back to uni this year!!!

Anyway, would definitely like to come to the Feb meet-up though (and U2-3D, if it happens)! :)

I hope everyone has a fab time on Monday! Well done Axver for organising this! :)

Shame you can't make it either! But I never really expected many people to be able to get there at such short notice. I only suggested it on the spur of the moment anyway, to convert our talk into action and get something going as a lead-up to a proper February meeting. I'm thinking that for February, we should meet somewhere where we can put on a U2 bootleg or something.

TranceEnding said:
Yeah :mad: ... I just checked and the train doesn't stop at Flagstaff, being a public holiday and all. Never mind, I can just hop off at Spencer or Melbourne Central ... it's not too far :)

I should be able to get the 4.30 pm train into town ... takes about 20 minutes to get in, so if I get there about 5, is that a problem with anyone?? You don't have to wait for me of course :wink: ... there's no trouble if I head down myself.

You'd really think that there'd be enough demand to keep Flagstaff open on non-working days, but evidently not. Bah! If the others want to meet at Spencer Street station, I can meet them there at say 4pm and we'll make our way up to Flagstaff Gardens and I'll text you to let you know where we are precisely.

Axver said:
Precisely. Crowdies fans for the win!

Though does mis-spelling 'Melburnian' as 'Melbournian' tarnish one's coolness? :wink:
Crowdies :rockon:

And I'm not sure why people spell "Melburnian" that way... we don't live in "Melburne" after all. :wink:
So I take it as a point of stubborn (and spellingnazi-esque) pride to be a Melbournian, or Melbournite, as the case may be...

:giggle:

I'll definitely be there for the February meet-up! As long as it's not on the day I'm seeing John Butler Trio/Waifs/Clare Bowditch :D

Alisaura said:

Crowdies :rockon:

And I'm not sure why people spell "Melburnian" that way... we don't live in "Melburne" after all. :wink:
So I take it as a point of stubborn (and spellingnazi-esque) pride to be a Melbournian, or Melbournite, as the case may be...

:giggle:

I think 'Melburnian' is a hangover from all those UK places that don't make sense. Manchester --> Mancunian, Glasgow --> Glaswegian, that sort of thing. Plus it is closer to the pronunciation, and we all know how lazy Aussies are at English. :wink:

Incidentally, ask a Kiwi like me and we're actually in Millburn.

^ Fair point... I'm sticking by my spelling, though :wink:

It's always amusing to hear people from the USA etc. actually pronounce "Melbourne" the way it's spelled, instead of "Melbun" :giggle:

Alisaura said:
It's always amusing to hear people from the USA etc. actually pronounce "Melbourne" the way it's spelled, instead of "Melbun" :giggle:

:lol: Yes. I've spoken to a couple who couldn't even really get their mouths around the correct pronunciation. They keep wanting to pronounce the 'r'. I suppose it's no surprise, as Americans really love emphasising 'r'.

What's even funnier is playing cricket with Americans. They just ... don't get it at all. I never knew how many ways you could wield a cricket bat until I tried to teach the game to some Yanks.

Heheheh. I'm not into cricket at all, so I'd probably be just as bad, if we hadn't been forced to play kanga cricket at primary school. :lol: And by now I've forgotten it all...

How long have you had that avatar, Axver? I never thought you'd change from the NZ one :wink:

I'm sure you'd at least have a general idea of which way to hold the bat! One of the Yanks held the bat up like a baseball bat, except directly in front of her face and perfectly vertical! It wasn't hard to bowl her out. :wink:

I changed the avatar a few days ago. The U2 NZ one was only meant to be temporary for the Vertigo Tour, but after November 2006, I just never got around to changing it back to this one!

Yeah, I guess I'd do better than that... and I'd probably remember to not drop the bat if I had to run, as well :wink:

Fair enough... I guess I only started posting here again after the Melb shows, so I never saw your pre-Vertigo avatar before.

Back
Top Bottom