Melbourne Meet Up thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AchtungGirl219 said:
"im in for everything, i just wont be able to spend a lot of time with you all on the 17th, cos ill have homework" - COBL_04

LoL! And I'll be correcting homework. Ugh :huh:

:lol: Tad unlucky. What do you teach?? And at which school? And also, there's the quote button on the bottom right of each post, just so you don't have to keep copying and pasting and so on. :)

Axver said:
OK, so if we're going to do something on Sunday 17/02, we better get planning. Do we just want to return to the old picnic in Flagstaff Gardens plan? That still suits me fine. By the sounds of it, lunchtime/early afternoon is best?
I'm cool with that, especially if it saves more planning time :wink:

Unless things have moved around since 2003, the Melbourne IMAX is at the new Museum... I can't remember the name of the area it's in, maybe Carlton? Anyway, I saw lots of trams nearby when I was there last, so you should be okay in that respect. :)

The first day it's released is April the 10th, which is a Thursday... I'm going to email the IMAX people and ask them about session times etc, I don't think they were on the website yet.
With any luck they'll get back to me before the tickets go on sale... and I suppose we shouldn't rule out the possibility that something will go haywire and it'll all be put off for six months.

*knocks on wood* :uhoh:

IMAX is just where the University hold their exams, Ax - on Nicholson St if i recall correctly. Just a couple minutes walk from Parliament station.

Oh, that's where the Imax is? Well, that's convenient then! I've actually never been there for exams though - my vision means I get special conditions, so I sit my exams on campus.

COBL_04 said:

:lol: Tad unlucky. What do you teach?? And at which school? And also, there's the quote button on the bottom right of each post, just so you don't have to keep copying and pasting and so on. :)

Hahaha! Thanks so much for that! I feel like such a doofus. :D

Yeah... I teach... lol! First year out of uni... so I'm basically learning everything as I go along!!

I teach at a school in the south-eastern suburbs... won't say where incase students lurk on this sight (highly unlikely... but still)! It's funny, as it's the last thing I thought I'd end up doing...

So far the year has consisted of "Miss... are you, like, really a teacher? You look too young to be a teacher"... :lol:

Alisaura said:

The first day it's released is April the 10th, which is a Thursday... I'm going to email the IMAX people and ask them about session times etc, I don't think they were on the website yet.
With any luck they'll get back to me before the tickets go on sale...

Great idea, Alisaura - thank-you! :)

Axver said:
OK, so if we're going to do something on Sunday 17/02, we better get planning. Do we just want to return to the old picnic in Flagstaff Gardens plan? That still suits me fine. By the sounds of it, lunchtime/early afternoon is best?

Early afternoon sounds good to me at this stage. :)

AchtungGirl219 said:
Hahaha! Thanks so much for that! I feel like such a doofus. :D

Psh, don't feel bad. In my early days here, I didn't use the Quote feature either - and not because I didn't know about it either! I did. I was just used to the copy-and-paste method from my previous Internet home and didn't want to change. I still view threads with 10 rather than 15 posts, a holdover from that place.

It's funny, as it's the last thing I thought I'd end up doing...

Well, good on you for doing it! I applaud you. :applaud:

Many of my friends and family are or have been teachers, so I know what it's all about. The people I respect most in this world are teachers and those in the medical profession. If you're not healthy and you don't have a good education, then to put it bluntly, you're pretty much fucked. Anything an aspiring historian such as myself can offer is merely a non-essential bonus. I don't know where we'd be without you teachers, and I will never understand the apparent lack of respect and comparatively poor pay given to those in education.

Axver said:

Psh, don't feel bad. In my early days here, I didn't use the Quote feature either - and not because I didn't know about it either! I did. I was just used to the copy-and-paste method from my previous Internet home and didn't want to change. I still view threads with 10 rather than 15 posts, a holdover from that place.

Lol! Thanks! :) I feel a little better... :)

Axver said:

Well, good on you for doing it! I applaud you. :applaud:

Many of my friends and family are or have been teachers, so I know what it's all about. The people I respect most in this world are teachers and those in the medical profession. If you're not healthy and you don't have a good education, then to put it bluntly, you're pretty much fucked. Anything an aspiring historian such as myself can offer is merely a non-essential bonus. I don't know where we'd be without you teachers, and I will never understand the apparent lack of respect and comparatively poor pay given to those in education.

Thanks heaps, Ax! It means alot, especially after a hard day! (I love my classes, but sometimes it gets tough)...

It's fantastic that you're an inspiring historian. I don't believe that "anything you can offer" is a non-essential bonus though! Historians have an incredibly important impact upon the way in which events are interpreted - and provide students with the opportunity to realise that there is never any one point of view to anything. This is, perhaps, one of the most essential skills they will come away with from school.. thus without the historians, history teachers couldn't really teach!

Sorry if this post doesn't make any sense... I'm incredibly tired and my brain is turning to mush! lol!

Hmm. Is 1pm a good time? That suits me well. Do we have enough of us to make this work?

AchtungGirl219 said:
I don't believe that "anything you can offer" is a non-essential bonus though! Historians have an incredibly important impact upon the way in which events are interpreted - and provide students with the opportunity to realise that there is never any one point of view to anything. This is, perhaps, one of the most essential skills they will come away with from school.. thus without the historians, history teachers couldn't really teach!

... wow, somebody who takes historians seriously. That's new. My father seems more impressed with the fact I'll one day have a PhD than with what I'm actually doing, and most people ask me "... why?", especially when they learn my primary field of interest is New Zealand history. I try to point out that we all live in the context of our history and it shapes the present so we damn well better understand what happens, but it seems to go in one ear and out the other for some people.

Axver said:
especially when they learn my primary field of interest is New Zealand history. I try to point out that we all live in the context of our history and it shapes the present so we damn well better understand what happens, but it seems to go in one ear and out the other for some people.

Sorry Ax, but I just had to point out that you're studying to be a historian of New Zealand history - in Australia.

:wink:

You're forgetting here that migratory patterns reveal a clear undercover invasion of Australia by New Zealanders.

:shifty:

Shouldn't you be joining me in ganging up on Australia, Maj. "Here's a description of me ... and 1 billion other Chinese people" Panic? :wink:

Axver said:
Hmm. Is 1pm a good time? That suits me well. Do we have enough of us to make this work?

... wow, somebody who takes historians seriously. That's new. My father seems more impressed with the fact I'll one day have a PhD than with what I'm actually doing, and most people ask me "... why?", especially when they learn my primary field of interest is New Zealand history. I try to point out that we all live in the context of our history and it shapes the present so we damn well better understand what happens, but it seems to go in one ear and out the other for some people.

^ OMG, I couldn't agree with you more....

Your father sounds like my mother (except that she doesn't know what a PhD is! lol!)... I was an inspiring historian myself (20th Century, with a focus on the Holocaust), but due to family pressure decided to do my dip-ed after I completed my Arts degree (majoring in both history and psychology). So you're not alone! But seriously, don't let anyone deter you as I did!

1pm sounds good. :)

Last edited:
So, that's the four of us, all good for 1pm at Flagstaff Gardens? Where precisely shall we meet and how will we identify each other?

... OK, so I stick out like a sore thumb.

I'm coming from St Kilda on Sunday (I have a yoga class that finishes at midday :D) so if I get that light rail tram, I'll be in town by 1pm hopefully. Maybe we could meet at Spencer street station? Or if I am running late, I can meet you guys at the gardens??

I'll be the one wearing ...... yoga clothes??!?! :wink:

Here's a little photo of me, with Steve Kilbey from the Church :cute:

P9290317.jpg

Probably doesn't help much for identification purposes ... but it's probably just another excuse to post this fave pic of mine :wink:

oh, Axver ... I'm still hoping to get a P Tree ticket tomorrow :D I'll run home from work (I finish at 3pm) and book one online - fingers crossed I can still get one!

Since I don't expect anybody to go back and try to find the link to this in the depths of this thread, here's that picture of me again. Now, I already have Ali and Trance's mobile phone numbers, but it'd probably be a good idea to get everyone else's too. Well, at the moment, I think "everyone else" is just AchtungGirl219. Anybody else in? In any case, my e-mail for number exchanging is amakaxver[at]gmail.com

And perhaps an easily identifiable place to meet is the intersection of Bourke and Spencer Streets outside Spencer Street Station? That's handy for me, and on the route 96, so handy for TE too. We can then proceed from there up to Flagstaff.

So who's bringing what? I again can offer muffins! :)

TranceEnding said:
oh, Axver ... I'm still hoping to get a P Tree ticket tomorrow :D I'll run home from work (I finish at 3pm) and book one online - fingers crossed I can still get one!

Awesome! I'll be online at 9am getting my tickets for Melbourne, Sydney, and Brisbane. :drool:

I'm fairly sure you'll be able to get a ticket at 3pm - I don't expect this to go like hotcakes, U2 style. And it's all General Admission, so no worries about getting a dodgy seat by buying a ticket late!

Axver said:
Shouldn't you be joining me in ganging up on Australia, Maj. "Here's a description of me ... and 1 billion other Chinese people" Panic? :wink:

Very true, but seeing as I'm a Brit by birth, a Malaysian by living, an Australian by choice and Chinese in soul, I can't really pay out Australians that much. Or I'll get kicked out of the country (under Howard, anyway).

That, and I did do high school here and loved every minute of it.

Anyway, I hope you all really enjoy meeting up, and hope it actually works out this time!

*makes note* 1pm Sunday, corner Bourke and Spencer...

*also makes note of TranceEnding's pic for Nick Cave thing tomorrow* :wink:

*tries to find non-dorky pic of self*.... :uhoh:

Well, this'll do... Me as of last September:
P8130158sml.jpg

I miss Hawaii. :sad: And that pic is bigger than I thought it was :reject:

I won't have a cocktail with me, but I will be wearing a U2 t-shirt of some description. And I'm kinda tall.

Bringing things... :uhoh:.... my baking skills stretch to those choc-peanut-butter-noodle spidery things. Is it gonna be hot on Sunday?

Last edited:
Ali, I do hope that by "kinda tall", you do not mean "makes 5'6-7" Axver feel very short" in the same way the obnoxiously 6'5" or so bono_man2002 does whenever he comes to Melbourne!

And frustratingly, they're forecasting 31 degrees for Sunday. Ugh. I won't be wearing a U2 shirt then. I'll need long sleeves to shade my arms. But all you really need to look for is my hair. :wink:

major_panic said:
Very true, but seeing as I'm a Brit by birth, a Malaysian by living, an Australian by choice and Chinese in soul, I can't really pay out Australians that much. Or I'll get kicked out of the country (under Howard, anyway).

... woah. Now that's one hell of an identity. I'm just a boring old Kiwi descended from some of the country's earliest settlers who came to Australia because his Mum wanted to.

That, and I did do high school here and loved every minute of it.

Believe it or not, despite all of my pro-Kiwi statements, I will actually have spent the majority of my life in Australia come June this year. June the 27th, I think. I worked out the precise date a while back but now I can't quite be certain.

Back
Top Bottom