Lincoln Memorial, January 18

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, how annoying! Maybe we can just meet as far to the front as we can get afterwards? Or Amy was suggesting we could meet at Tony Chang's Mongolian Restaurant in Chinatown afterwards - just when everyone can make it.

Hopefully enough of us have each other's phone #s (and check this thread) before tomorrow that we can set this up!

:wave:

oh noez.. yeah let's just meet up at Tony Cheng's as soon as you all can get there after the show.

here is the addy for this place:

Tony Cheng's Mongolian Restaurant
619 H St., NW, 1st Fl. (in between 7th and 6th streets)
Ph: 202-842-8669

here's what it looks like:
Tony Chang in Chinatown DC.

Wow!!!

They look so awesome at night at Lincoln memorial. So the stage is already set-up and security was already there I guess?

Hey guys, sorry, I've been without internet. I can meet y'all at that place in Chinatown. Just send me a text. Texting me will be more efficient than calling me, as I imagine it's going to be crowded and loud. Afterwards I'm hitting up the Brickskeller though. It was one of my fav spots when I used to live there, and I've got some people who will be meeting us there. But you're all welcomed to join us. The more the merrier!

I mean let's be honest, if the show ends at 5, with all the crowds and metro delays, it might take us quite a bit of time to get there anyway. Especially since those of us who are there earlier might be stuck til the bulk of the crowd has moved. Sidenote: There's a Krispy Kreme just a few blocks away from the Brickskeller. If we have a few minutes to kill, we can always go there ;)

But if the Chinatown spot is the place to be, I'm game.

Well I guess it just depends on what time the show gets out and how many crowds there are. We will play it by ear and by phone, I guess. Is anyone else coming??

i'm personally super excited. i've noticed quite a few negative posts here. people have their own preferences and requirements and whatnot, and i respect that. i'm going to freeze, starve, get dehydrated, pushed around, yelled at, and stepped on. but i personally couldn't care less. my heart jumped when i first learned of this. i can't project my enthusiasm on others, i realize that, but i just want to respond to those negative posts. i love you guys, you know that, but i can't help if you don't share the same enthusiasm that i do. just like you can't help that i don't have a rational, admirable, and cautious mind like you do ;)

i'm just saying, if you're not feeling it, then perhaps just meet up afterwards with us? i would absolutely love to see you, and sharing this experience with you would be so much fun...but for me, because i happen to be a renewable energy source. i'm just trying to say that yes, this is going to be chaotic, i agree with you on that. but if you go in with a negative mind, then those aspects of concern are going to def be there that day, and it will take away from your enjoyment of the show because you'll be focusing on them, and not just living in the present moment and embracing this opportunity for what it is. there's no need to bring down the energy in this thread nor at the event. this is a mad, yet exciting thing happening. it is bringing people together to share in their love of music, passion for their ideals and politics, and hope for the future.

don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to say "don't go! i hate you! i never wanna see you again." quite the opposite. i just think that this is something that should be fun, and if you don't think it will be, then don't sweat it, you know? like i said before, we can meet up at the bar afterwards and chill. i'm free the whole night, and am in no rush.

i remember reading about how years ago people would walk for miles and miles to attend special events on the mall. like dr. king's address. this is as close as i can get to being a part of something like this. i know it isn't the same, but with the readings and possibly songs going on which will honor him, i know it is going to be in the same spirit of that and i want to be a part of it.

/soapbox

Mai, have a good time, OK? My living arrangements and the thought of all the security at the event made this a little prohibitive for me. If I could have attended I would have, and believe me, I was very tempted!

Rihannsu here on the boards will be making me a copy of the band's perormance, but if I wasn't going to be able to say "hi" to Dallas again or get a chance to see Bono up close, it wasn't going to be worth it; not considering the risks I would take to do it. (You can understand, Mia!)

Sorry I couldn't see you last night at the Saloon! You are the one of the sweetest, most enthusiastic people I have ever met! I hope that you have a good time today.

Mary

Wow - what a great performance by U2. I was about six blocks away from the memorial though, because they stopped letting people into the fenced in area. Looked great on the jumbotron though. Tried calling and texting, but nothing went through.

If anyone needs the video file of both U2 songs from the show, PM me for the link. It's a huge ass file, but great quality! I hope everyone had a great time. I tried texting Amy about half hour before the show, but don't know if she got it, or like you said ntalwar, possible no service...

Last edited:
Oh my goodness... 2009 just started.. but I think I've already had the day of the year so far. It was absolutely astonishing, scintillating performance by our lads. I and LauraMullen got there at around 7:45, got in the line (there was a long line despite being that early), waited, got in, though at first we were on the right side of the pool, we moved to the left side, were farther up and had a better view. We found some awesome hardcore U2 fans in our area and had an awesome time counting down the minutes with them. And then the thing started in all its glory.

One-by-one they came and went, the Boss came on, Bon Jovi did too, and lots of other good acts. But there was one great act we were all waiting for. Samuel Jackson was called on to make a speech about the specialty of this occassion and he went on to discuss the human rights issues mentioning Rosa Parks and MLK. It was at that moment I told fans around me "Oh I think U2 will definitely be up next because he's leading into the whole human rights issue and talking about King". Low and behold he concludes by saying "..they have written this song especially for him.." and on comes U2, as our smiles just got wider, and wider. We were all going absolutely insane; reaching lethal levels of fanaticism. And then Pride crisply kicks in and what we were all dreaming and hoping for suddenly starts becoming a beautiful reality. Everything now was totally worth it.

The lack of sleep, the hours and hours on of waiting, the chillingly cold weather, the discomfort of being cramped in a tight space, having to use the Jons as bathrooms, lack of food and water; all of that was forgiven and forgotten the moment U2 came out. During the break of the song Bono goes into his usual "this is not only an American dream, an Irish dream, an African dream... " then goes on to say "but is also a Palestinian dream"; that really was the climax of the moment for me. Song ends, another one begins. The bells, plucks, chimes, tones, sounds, and the smell of COBL emerges out of the air and we are all taken back to the wonderful days of the Vertigo tour. It was a dreamy trip down the memory lane. Fantastic, unbelievable, incredulous, astonished, miraculous, majestic; just some words to described our feelings.

Oh boy, it was a fabulous piece in time for us. Those 10 minutes made the nearly 10 hours of waiting and standing full of worth. That was just two songs, imagine what a whole tour would be like again. It was a nice "warm-up" to the upcoming tour and only ups my desire to see them live again. You just can't stop growing more and more in love with this band. It's in our minds, it's in our hearts, it's in our souls.

That, my friends, is my story. Tell me your's.

i am SO FUCKIN TIRED THAT.. I am gonna post my experience tomorrow.. sorry.:reject:

:wave: I am off to take a load off for my first day at work tomorrow and I'll fill ya all in tomorrow nite

Oh boy, it was a fabulous piece in time for us. Those 10 minutes made the nearly 10 hours of waiting and standing full of worth. That was just two songs, imagine what a whole tour would be like again. It was a nice "warm-up" to the upcoming tour and only ups my desire to see them live again. You just can't stop growing more and more in love with this band. It's in our minds, it's in our hearts, it's in our souls.

Nice review, but I don't have that type of endurance :no:. I got there about an hour later than I wanted - around 2:15. They looked like ants from where I was because they had shut all the gates by then. It seemed like most of the people showed up in the hour prior to the show. It was a great vibe back there though - U2 got the biggest ovation. Lots of people from out of town (and out of country) and all walks of life. I was able to make it in and out quickly, using the Smithsonian stop. I heard that others had a long wait getting off the Mall. And I found that cutting in line skills come in handy for getting in and out of the Metro quickly, etc. :wink:.

i am SO FUCKIN TIRED THAT.. I am gonna post my experience tomorrow.. sorry.:reject:

:wave: I am off to take a load off for my first day at work tomorrow and I'll fill ya all in tomorrow nite

Yeah that was tiring.

Fortunately, getting to the venue was a LOT easier than I expected, probably because people were slowly trickling in throughout the day. The first sound check sounded pretty good, but then it seemed like they shut off half the speakers or something. Our whole section was screaming variations of "turn it up" for much of the pre-show. I was pretty warm, except for my feet, which were frozen numb.

For some reason, they waited until an hour before the main portion of the show to get our jumbotron working. This was crucial because there was a huge viewing platform for all the "important people" that totally obscured our view of the stage. Without this viewer, we would've been totally blind. I'm glad they got it working, even if they only got the sound half working.

We were in a section of Beyonce/Shakira/Usher fans who all sort of looked puzzled when U2 started playing. I even heard one woman behind me say - during Pride - "Oh, they dun changed this song to make it about Martin Luther King!" :rolleyes:

Afterwards, we walked a few miles to Chinatown and stuffed our faces. We tried to go with Mia to the Brickskeller, but someone *cough*Jess*cough* forgot her ID, so we could't get in.

Getting home was no problem. :up:

I'll post pics soon.

Me too. I have been up since 3am. i'm going to DVR it tonight when it reairs.

Oh my goodness... 2009 just started.. but I think I've already had the day of the year so far. It was absolutely astonishing, scintillating performance by our lads. I and LauraMullen got there at around 7:45, got in the line (there was a long line despite being that early), waited, got in, though at first we were on the right side of the pool, we moved to the left side, were farther up and had a better view. We found some awesome hardcore U2 fans in our area and had an awesome time counting down the minutes with them. And then the thing started in all its glory.

One-by-one they came and went, the Boss came on, Bon Jovi did too, and lots of other good acts. But there was one great act we were all waiting for. Samuel Jackson was called on to make a speech about the specialty of this occassion and he went on to discuss the human rights issues mentioning Rosa Parks and MLK. It was at that moment I told fans around me "Oh I think U2 will definitely be up next because he's leading into the whole human rights issue and talking about King". Low and behold he concludes by saying "..they have written this song especially for him.." and on comes U2, as our smiles just got wider, and wider. We were all going absolutely insane; reaching lethal levels of fanaticism. And then Pride crisply kicks in and what we were all dreaming and hoping for suddenly starts becoming a beautiful reality. Everything now was totally worth it.

The lack of sleep, the hours and hours on of waiting, the chillingly cold weather, the discomfort of being cramped in a tight space, having to use the Jons as bathrooms, lack of food and water; all of that was forgiven and forgotten the moment U2 came out. During the break of the song Bono goes into his usual "this is not only an American dream, an Irish dream, an African dream... " then goes on to say "but is also a Palestinian dream"; that really was the climax of the moment for me. Song ends, another one begins. The bells, plucks, chimes, tones, sounds, and the smell of COBL emerges out of the air and we are all taken back to the wonderful days of the Vertigo tour. It was a dreamy trip down the memory lane. Fantastic, unbelievable, incredulous, astonished, miraculous, majestic; just some words to described our feelings.

How beautifully written! :up: Hopefully we will be able to meet you next time!

I'm too tired to write much either, but wow COBL really did make the looooooooooooooooooooong wait worth it. :yes:

it was a great experience. very cold. and nearly impossible to see anything since it was obviously staged for the cameras. the biggest disappointment was bruce, sadly, as "the rising" just didn't translate that well with the choir. U2 was very good. "pride" was solid, "COBL" may have just earned itself all-time U2 classic status as it was thrilling, and was very well received, and i heard someone behind me yell out, "damn, they have good voices!" also props to Garth Brooks and John Mellancamp for being the other great performers.

i, however, did make it to the Brickskeller and had many beers with Unico, onion rings be damned for ever and ever.

A few pics:

img_4521.jpg

img_4526.jpg

img_4520.jpg

(sorry, they kept cutting away from Adam everytime I tried to take his pic)

img_4500.jpg

img_4487.jpg

img_4486.jpg

img_4532.jpg

img_4501.jpg

More...

Too damned cool, guys (no pun intended! :giggle: ). I'd have loved to have been there but I'm going to hold out on the road trips 'til the tour starts. :hyper: :drool:

Back
Top Bottom