Lincoln Memorial, January 18

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i might be going. Im going to find someone to work for me 2morrow and then my friend Jim is going to let me know if he can go. If he can't I'll have to go by myself. My brother usually goes to these things, but his football team(Eagles) and mine as well are playing in the championship game. He has season tix.

OMG I've been on the phone since last night trying to make this happen. I'm officially in! I'm planning on taking the metro at 7am (I *think* that's when the 1st train leaves.) I'll camp out at Lincoln til then. I can't believe it's going to be 37 degrees there. That's like summer to me!!! :hyper:

OMG I've been on the phone since last night trying to make this happen. I'm officially in! I'm planning on taking the metro at 7am (I *think* that's when the 1st train leaves.) I'll camp out at Lincoln til then. I can't believe it's going to be 37 degrees there. That's like summer to me!!! :hyper:

MIATHUNDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hyper::love::hyper:

I PM'D u!

I am SO not looking forward to this. :sigh:

Fighting through what will be throngs of not only other U2 fans, but fans of all the other performers who are going to be there, for what might only be a song or two, then fighting our way back home... ugh.

I remember just going to see fireworks on the mall around ten years ago. There was a line just to go down the escalators to get to the Metro, and once you were in the station, it was elbow to elbow.

Half a million people + our subway system = complete chaos.

I am SO not looking forward to this. :sigh:

Fighting through what will be throngs of not only other U2 fans, but fans of all the other performers who are going to be there, for what might only be a song or two, then fighting our way back home... ugh.

I remember just going to see fireworks on the mall around ten years ago. There was a line just to go down the escalators to get to the Metro, and once you were in the station, it was elbow to elbow.

Half a million people + our subway system = complete chaos.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH:sad:

thanks debbie downer..

j/k :hug:

anyone got a taser we could use to move people out of the way?

I live in Jersey, so I can drive to Philly, take Amtrak down and then I have to figure it out from there. I can take a really early train to get there. I'm going to get hand and feet warmers.

I live in Jersey, so I can drive to Philly, take Amtrak down and then I have to figure it out from there. I can take a really early train to get there. I'm going to get hand and feet warmers.

u won't be able to take amtrak.. it's sold out! My friend from nyc is coming and she just texted me and told me that. Now she is coming i think on sat but looks like the whole weekend is booked. Try the Bus that's what she is doing.

I'll be there, but I'm going with the college friends who live in dc who are hosting me for the whole shabang. However if I see anyone recognizable as Interference I'll say hi. I'm thinking I'm gonna bring a fleece red sox blanket, cause it's convenient, so you can probably identify me by that. Just don't embarrass me too much, my college friends have no idea the depth of my blue crack habit :wink:

email check it. maybe we can finally meet!

It sucks about Amtrak being sold out, because you can easily walk from Union Station to the mall (and the Lincoln Mem) and totally avoid Metro.

FYI I think the Foggy Bottom Metro station will be better than Smithsonian because you just get off the Metro and walk straight down 23rd street and that street ends at the Lincoln Mem. It may avoid the huge Smithsonian station crowds.

I just did a Google street view walk of it, and it looks like an easy walk.

I don't think anyone is driving, but here's a map of road closures on the 18th

http://www.pic2009.org/page/-/blog/Restricted Roads 1.13.09_5.pdf

I think I'm going to take the King St. metro to Foggy Bottom. I think the first train leaves at 7:11 a.m., so I'll get to Kings St. at 7 and see what happens :reject:

Here's some more information from the inauguration website:
SUNDAY, JANUARY 18

We Are One: Opening Inaugural Celebration at the Lincoln Memorial
The Lincoln Memorial, between Constitution Avenue NW and Independence Avenue SW on 23rd Street

Doors open: 8:00 AM EST

Event begins: 2:30 PM EST

This event is free and open to the public.

Public gates open at 8:00 AM at the following locations:

- Public Entry A: Constitution Avenue at 19th Street

- Public Entry B: Constitution Avenue at Virginia Avenue

- Public Entry C: 17th Street at North Elm Walk

- Public Entry D: 17th Street at South Elm Walk

- Public Entry E: Independence Avenue at the DC War Memorial

The Reflecting Pool area, JFK Hockey Fields and Constitution Gardens are open to the public and space will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.

Restricted items for the Lincoln Memorial grounds for the Inaugural Opening Ceremonies:

- Firearms

- Ammunition

- Explosives

- Weapons of any kind

- Aerosols

- Supports for signs

- Packages

- Coolers

- Thermal or glass containers

- Backpacks

- Bags and signs exceeding the size restrictions of 6"X4"X8”

- Laser pointers

- Animals other than helper/guide dogs

- Structures

- Bicycles

- Any other items determined to be a potential safety hazard

If anyone is going to the inauguration, I have a list of which stations will be entrance/exit only and during which hours. I'll post it if anyone wants.

so i'm hearing rumors that everyone only gets one song (here's money being placed on "Pride") but that there will be space for people to do duets and stuff (here's more money being placed on the MJB version of "One" which i seem to be the only person on Interference who loves that version).

also rumors of 500,000 people on the mall. :ohmy:

we're still going to go.

so i'm hearing rumors that everyone only gets one song (here's money being placed on "Pride") but that there will be space for people to do duets and stuff (here's more money being placed on the MJB version of "One" which i seem to be the only person on Interference who loves that version).

Ugh and Ugh. Pride is fine, but I'm not really a fan of it live.

I was hoping for some new album previews. :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom