Lincoln Memorial, January 18

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually, we were right up front, against the people barrier. The pic of the Washington Monument was taken by holding the camera up and pointing it backwards over everyone's heads. The pic of the Lincoln memorial was taken on the way out, after the concert was over.

wow how early did you get there?

Hey, where were you? I was in the same area!! The "yellow" ticketed area right up front by the snack stand!! I was on the rail near the reflecting pool and ya, I felt like I was the only U2 fan in my section screaming during PRIDE!! I was jumping up and down ...!! I didn't care, and I noticed others in the crowd across the reflecting pool and up in the bleachers blocking our view of the stage were jumping too! U2 fans unite!! It was worth every obstruction and freezing cold temps to be in a large group of humanity like that with the same emotional energy. Everybody was so JOYOUS and HAPPY, making the vibe almost sacred. Even the volunteers with the red beanies were so friendly...
I welled up with tears more than once reminding myself constantly to ignore my frozen toes and take in the incredible scene.
The place where MLK gave his speech, the place where Lincoln is honored, the place where HISTORY was made yesterday!! U2/Obama and MLK with PRIDE playing in the background. How could you not be moved??!! That was a dream come true and like others have said, it was worth every hassle on earth to witness!!
Sorry I missed the gathering.... U2 fans are awesome!!:applaud::rockon:

So you weren't on the platform?

Can anybody confirm if the entire soundcheck was recorded and posted anyplace (YouTube,, whatever)? The footage I've seen never begins any earlier than halfway through "Pride." Has it not been completely documented?

I didn't get back til 11ish last night. That was an 11 hour drive. :crazy: I took the long way, thankfully, because apparently there were all sorts of crashes throughout PA due to snow.

Anyway, pics are uploading slowly but surely. I'll post them soon.

It was great to be with you all during such a moving event. I was touched, and will remember it for the rest of my life. It was great to be on my home turf again, and the energy of everyone there was so elevating. I was in a great mood, even when we were stuck in my friend's car for an hour (which was 1 block from Bono's hotel I realized later) because it wouldn't start. Ha, we didn't get home til after 2am that night.

Thanks for spotting me, Jess. And thanks for the drinkies, Irvine! The scary-angry bouncer ended up being our friend by the end of the night.

Sorry I couldn't see you last night at the Saloon! You are the one of the sweetest, most enthusiastic people I have ever met! I hope that you have a good time today.

I just saw this. Thank you, I did! :hug:

Here are my pics as promised!

Peter had to dress me at 5:30am because I'm incompetent
l_71092dd295894f62b66642566bb87beb.jpg

Peter's dream comes true at 8:30am
l_7f8f2c11b912463d999a45cb4565ffab.jpg

Despite being a vegetarian, I wanted something warm in my mouth, so I was desperate. This is also Peter's 2nd dream come true.
l_3a21dd1f924147959124a130a148d8c7.jpg

We got in the front row to see the TV because we couldn't see the stage.
l_5bf2d2a5316a4d0285baca2aa0424b9d.jpg

Because our view was obstructed by this monstrosity
l_09cd2feda53546e1881ff1ca42ba8731.jpg

I tried to get a crowd shot, but let's recap on how short I am
l_62aa48f8218a4af4a0d5e0319ac8ea3d.jpg

Peter's dream comes true at 8:30am
l_71092dd295894f62b66642566bb87beb.jpg

Shouldn't you know by now that these shoes are worthless in the cold? :wink:

Glad you all had a great time (though not the greatest view). Sucks I couldn't stay in the country for that event.

Can't afford to. :sad:

Am currently aiming for Ireland, but I'm not sure with my cover letter. It's with Transparency International.

9:30. But Mia (unico) and Amy (U2Fanatic4ever) were already there to save us a spot.

When you get to a big place like this early in the day, how do you cope, for your, ahum, needs?
I assume you can take food with you or probaly there are stands to buy, but how about going to the loo?
I was wondering about that as I heard that for the inauguration on tuesday, ppl were lining up since 4am..

(I know I wouldn't be able to do this cus I need to go often :reject: )

When you get to a big place like this early in the day, how do you cope, for your, ahum, needs?
I assume you can take food with you or probaly there are stands to buy, but how about going to the loo?
I was wondering about that as I heard that for the inauguration on tuesday, ppl were lining up since 4am..

(I know I wouldn't be able to do this cus I need to go often :reject: )

When I got up I only had half a cup of coffee on purpose so that I wouldn't suddenly have to go. I was able to hold it the entire time. There were a LOT of porta potties though, so I'm sure if someone is desperate, they can go there. But on inauguration day I imagine those potties were SWAMPED! :yuck:

There were no lines at the concert, but just trying to get through the crowd looked like the most annoying thing. There were also stands to buy food, but some of the people around us who went were gone for over an hour.

When I got up I only had half a cup of coffee on purpose so that I wouldn't suddenly have to go. I was able to hold it the entire time. There were a LOT of porta potties though, so I'm sure if someone is desperate, they can go there. But on inauguration day I imagine those potties were SWAMPED! :yuck:

Just behind your position and to the outer edge of the tree line, a long row of white-roofed porta-potties was visible on tv...I could smell them from the OC...!

*Was there any form of security to get into that area where you were? what was your day like on Tuesday; did you and Paul have to go to work? stay home? managed your way around the crowds?

Just behind your position and to the outer edge of the tree line, a long row of white-roofed porta-potties was visible on tv...I could smell them from the OC...!
The sheer number of pora-potties was staggering. I think I read that there were something like 3500. Whoever had that contract (Don's Johns?) must've made bank.

*Was there any form of security to get into that area where you were? what was your day like on Tuesday; did you and Paul have to go to work? stay home? managed your way around the crowds?
We had to go through a checkpoint where they made you open up your bags and your coat/jacket. Other than that, Sunday was pretty lax.

what was your day like on Tuesday; did you and Paul have to go to work? stay home? managed your way around the crowds?

We mercifully got to stay home! It really would have been impossible to get there with the whole city and surrounding bridges closed. The metro logged over a million rides! Definitely Sunday was the better day to go from that perspective. :crazy:

Back
Top Bottom