Joshua Tree trip III (2012): Return of the Crackers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edge_Orchestra

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Joshua Tree trip III (2012): Return of the Crackers

Diana and Dev are in the planning stages.

It was cool fun last time we went.

If we'z stayin' at the Harmony, we have to start figuring out dates sooner than later to get reservations...

Thus far the plan being:
  • Trip to the tree.
  • Trip to Zabriske Point.
  • 2 night stay at the Harmony Hotel

JoshuaTreeTrip_2010.jpg

Yes in advance is a good idea seeing as that there are only 6 rooms and a cabin. :wink: Also back when I stayed there at least in 2008 there was a 2 night stay minimum.

Oh and be prepared for the skinny showers. They totally cracked me up.

HarmonyMotelshower1-20-08.jpg

Remember the Harmony is about a 3 hour drive from the tree. When we went, we drove to the Harmony after seeing the tree and spent night 1, the next day we spent in JT National Park which is a few minutes from the Harmony and is gorgeous for photo taking if you want to see living joshua trees.

joshuatreenationalparksun1-19-082.jpg

joshuatreenationalparkroad1-19-08.jpg

Spent night 2 at the Motel again before heading home the next day.

HarmonyMotel1-20-2008.jpg

Still hoping to make it this time around!

By the way, since I was there last, they have restored the sign to the way it originally looked when U2 visited, so I'm excited to see that!

Harmonysignrestoration2-111.jpg

Harmonysignrestoration2-112.jpg

HarmonymotelCA.jpg

I called the Harmony way back when we (bonocomet and my neighbor and I) first started talking about going in May for Bono's birthday :) and they said they don't book more than six months in advance. So if looking at May, call in November, I guess. Of course they might make an exception for someone who has stayed there before. They did ask if I was a returning guest and I said, "No," but now that I think about it :hmm: ...maybe if I had said, "Yes" they would have taken a reservation now instead of later. :shrug:

We may need to break this into two trips, depending on how many people are interested in coming. After our talk with the ranger on the first trip, I think it's best not have any more than three cars and 12 people at a time.

Yeah they didn't like the big group there. I know some of you guys wanted to make it earlier which is good because the weather will be nicer. Bono Mot and I will probably need to stick with our original plans for May (since Moncton is gonna bleed our bank accounts I fear :dance:) May will be much hotter I think like Beegee (I think!) mentioned before. But like Dev said, it may be better and easier for everyone to pick what works for them. :) If you guys get a trip planned in Jan/Feb you won't have to worry about the heat which will be nice for you. :up:

I will come whenever the weather is nice and not too hot. Shoulder season is also great since flights will be a lot cheaper. The problem with flying out from Philadelphia in January/February might be wintry weather that could cause flight cancellations/delays. But hopefully I can make this into a somewhat longer trip so I have more flexibility in my schedule. I will have to combine this with the culinary trip I've been dying to make. :drool:

The pictures are awesome, btw.

May will be much hotter I think like Beegee (I think!) mentioned before.

There was a very distinct difference in the weather between my April and May trips. In May I was hiking the Darwin Falls area, which is about as close to the tree as you can get without leaving the park. I left a guide book on my dashboard and after about two hours of hiking returned to discover the glue on the spine had melted and all the pages had fallen out.

I was at The Harmony a few years ago, before they restored the sign. It's a great little hotel but staying within Death Valley is a great experience, too. Both Furnace Creek Ranch and Furnace Creek Inn (The Inn is pretty pricey, the Ranch is more affordable) are close to Zabriskie Point, which should definitely be seen at sunrise if possible. You can also hike through Golden Canyon up through the back of Zabriske Point, which is awesome.

This is just my :twocents: I could talk about Death Valley all day.

I guess there will have to be a delicate balance of wanting all our friends there and what the Harmony can hold / What won't freak out the Rangers. :|

I just know I want to have another nice day in the desert with my friends. Y'know... like last time. That was a great day out.

:D

Well, I definitely want to plan a trip down to SoCal next year sometime, but it doesn't have to include a trip out to Joshua Tree.

Uh ... okay, then!

For the record, since you are planning my trip for me ( :wink: ) I would really prefer not to go to the desert when it's super hot.

If it's an actual gathering with Alicia and stuff. Then I want to come, too.:hug:

Uh ... okay, then!

For the record, since you are planning my trip for me ( :wink: ) I would really prefer not to go to the desert when it's super hot.

I'm hoping for not super-hot too. We went in late Feb last time. Looks like we are planning for a bit later. But I don't think anyone plans for us to go when it's a bazillionty degrees.

How long is this JT jaunt? I'd like to maybe take a week of vacation to come down there and spend time seeing/visiting various people and places, as I have family and non-U2 friends down there as well. :)

We can also go see Edge's Malibu state........not.

Hard to say, but we have a lot of time for the prep. Zabriskie point was such a delight to see in person, it was truly the highlight. Words can not describe it.

How long is this JT jaunt? I'd like to maybe take a week of vacation to come down there and spend time seeing/visiting various people and places, as I have family and non-U2 friends down there as well. :)

:hmm: I know it's a 6 hour drive approx. from San Diego to the tree, so it will be a bit less from LA, and I think it took us 2 or more hours to get to Zabriskie Pt from the tree. Maybe someone will remember a bit better? The Harmony is 3 hours back heading south again from the tree (not Zabriskie Pt), so that might give you some idea.

I wasn't sure if this was just like a 2-day trip, with one overnight stay, or if we were talking about 5 days of cavorting through the desert, in which case I'd say ".... can't I just come down and hang with you guys for a few nights? maybe come down when a tribute band is playing?" :lol:

Harmony also has a 2 night stay minimum (unless they've changed their policy but I haven't checked lately), which is why a day visit to JT National Park is a nice thing to do if you want to include the Harmony in your trip. (they are just down the street from each other)

Back
Top Bottom