Joshua Tree trip III (2012): Return of the Crackers - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Interference Gatherings
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2011, 12:04 AM   #61
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:45 PM
I will definitely try, but the 27th is my Mom's birthday, so I'll just have to wait closer to the date and see what the plans are for her birthday. Sometimes we do our family celebrations on Saturday nights, instead of a weeknight.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:10 AM   #62
Neon Zebra

Local Time: 12:45 PM
I was in Death Valley a few weeks ago and met a couple who had flown over from England to find the tree. The guy was wearing a U2 shirt so I asked if that was the reason they were there. It was, and he showed me his pictures.

Apparently, the tube has been replaced by a fairly large green box. There was an Irish flag wrapped around the trunk of the tree (which hopefully someone will remove) and he also said it looks like someone has sawed off a limb. It was hard for me to tell because the pics were on his iphone so they were pretty small so I'm not sure.

I take three or four trips to Death Valley a year but I haven't been to the tree in a long time. Hopefully, as more people make their way out to the site, the area stays intact so fans (who aren't interested in disturbing the area) can enjoy it for years to come.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:04 PM   #63
Blue Crack Distributor

Sawed off a limb? wtf. It's hard to believe that anyone who loves U2 enough to actually make the effort to find the tree would also do stupid stuff like that. But I guess you never know. That really sucks. Also it didn't need anything more left there than the small tube.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:38 AM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonocomet View Post
Sawed off a limb? wtf. It's hard to believe that anyone who loves U2 enough to actually make the effort to find the tree would also do stupid stuff like that. But I guess you never know. That really sucks. Also it didn't need anything more left there than the small tube.

Great. So some 'tool' now has a limb of the tree hanging in a shadowbox at his home?

Do we go add paint to a Monet? No. You leave it the fuck alone and respect it.

Hopefully there will be something still left to see and others will be respectful of it's meaning to fans.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:52 PM   #65
arw
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beegee View Post
I was in Death Valley a few weeks ago and met a couple who had flown over from England to find the tree. The guy was wearing a U2 shirt so I asked if that was the reason they were there. It was, and he showed me his pictures.

Apparently, the tube has been replaced by a fairly large green box. There was an Irish flag wrapped around the trunk of the tree (which hopefully someone will remove) and he also said it looks like someone has sawed off a limb. It was hard for me to tell because the pics were on his iphone so they were pretty small so I'm not sure.

I take three or four trips to Death Valley a year but I haven't been to the tree in a long time. Hopefully, as more people make their way out to the site, the area stays intact so fans (who aren't interested in disturbing the area) can enjoy it for years to come.
the green box has now been replaced by a gray box. It's filled with notebooks, pens, postcards, books, cds. Kind of cool actually.

We tried to take the flag off the tree trunk because it really annoyed me that it was there. But it was tied really tight and I couldn't get it off. It's pretty faded and just looks like a rag wrapped around the trunk.

Finally...a limb was indeed sawed off. So upsetting that someone would take a piece. I almost cried when I saw that. It's such a long journey to get there and I'd hate to see someone drive all that way to find nothing is left of the tree because of selfish people that think it's ok to take something like that.

the missing limb....
Old 01-31-2012, 10:02 PM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by arw View Post
We tried to take the flag off the tree trunk because it really annoyed me that it was there. But it was tied really tight and I couldn't get it off. It's pretty faded and just looks like a rag wrapped around the trunk.
The tree is perfect as is and needs no adornments! People can be so stupid and selfish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arw View Post
Finally...a limb was indeed sawed off. So upsetting that someone would take a piece. I almost cried when I saw that. It's such a long journey to get there and I'd hate to see someone drive all that way to find nothing is left of the tree because of selfish people that think it's ok to take something like that.

the missing limb....
THAT IS FUCKING HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!! I'm revolted!
Old 01-31-2012, 10:11 PM   #67
Refugee

That's a massive chunk!! Why would anyone do that? Not like strangers just stumble upon it.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:27 PM   #68
arw
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzChivalry View Post
The tree is perfect as is and needs no adornments! People can be so stupid and selfish.

THAT IS FUCKING HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!! I'm revolted!
it was very upsetting....

we were in Joshua Tree park the day before. Their newsletter, which states the rules of the park, said that 1.25 million people visit JTNP a year and imagine what the place would look like if all 1.25 million people took a rock out of the park, there would be nothing left. This was my 6th time to JTNP and I will admit I've taken rocks out before. But after reading that it made me rethink that choice and I decided not bring one home this time. So while looking at the missing piece, I thought about that statement. Imagine if every single U2 fan took a piece of the tree home. There would be nothing left.....
Old 01-31-2012, 10:34 PM   #69
Blue Crack Distributor

There was another very large portion of one of the biggest limbs that was gone. I couldn't tell if it had finally washed away on its own as it was the one limb that was right on the edge of the little wash that runs near the base of the tree, or if it had been taken. I didn't see any pieces of it anywhere though.

In general, I'd say the tree is definitely dwindling, when I compare it to the first time I saw it years ago. I know that's to be expected for a tree that's died and is making it's way back to the earth, but still, it's sad to know it won't always be there for U2 fans.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:38 PM   #70
Blue Crack Distributor

I'll post some pics later.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:07 AM   #71
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:45 PM
This is so sad! Leave that poor tree the frell alone, people!!! I hope there's something left when I finally get to go on my own JTree pilgrimage, where I will not be bringing a saw with me!
Old 02-01-2012, 05:57 AM   #72
Blue Crack Distributor

Here's a bit of comparison on the branch I noticed missing. I don't know if it just vanished naturally by being washed away or not. Guess we really can't know. (The large branch that was to the left of the base of the tree was partly gone.)

This photo taken in Jan. 2009

Jan. 2012
Old 02-01-2012, 01:09 PM   #73
Loungeroom Dancing Queen

Local Time: 06:45 AM

some people

Old 02-01-2012, 04:57 PM   #74
Blue Crack Supplier

Oh, man, that's fucking awful!
ghads How uber selfish!!!!

And here I was seeing the thread and thinking- "Oh, yeah! Comet and
others were going to visit the JT tree!
"

And then see this news....

I have no plans to go - but for those who want to .... Bah!
Old 02-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #75
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:45 PM
Some day