Joshua Tree road trip in January. (Gathering)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What month works better for you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
(although I must say I look weird in all of them :rolleyes: )

:no: :shame:

You look BEAUTIFUL in these! :D :hug:

IMG_0308.jpg

Its cool that you guys found it....but
keep in mind that the land the tree is on is sacred to the Timbisha Shoshone who think its cool that people visit (They actually LIKE the plaque and U2). But, PLEASE remember that its very disrespectful in their tribal culture to consume alcohol, especially by outsiders on their ancestral lands. I spoke to them frequently while doing a research paper on their culture. Their are also some very old grave sites beginning where the tree is and stretching south. I hope none of them see some of these pictures or they may actually remove it or as one person put it "velvet-rope" it.

Also personally, as someone who has a very weak link to the blood line of the tribe (about 4 generations removed)
I myself have given directions to 4-5 people and personally shown a few where it is.
But, I have to ask that people please be more dignified when treading there than bringing alcohol(its actually illegal to even posses it on the protected property, even though its not in the park). Don't go in large groups, the rangers hate that. Don't ruin it for the future generations and the people who visit respectfully. In other words, don't pull that crap again unless you want it gone.

Its cool that you guys found it....but
keep in mind that the land the tree is on is sacred to the Timbisha Shoshone who think its cool that people visit (They actually LIKE the plaque and U2). But, PLEASE remember that its very disrespectful in their tribal culture to consume alcohol, especially by outsiders on their ancestral lands. I spoke to them frequently while doing a research paper on their culture. Their are also some very old grave sites beginning where the tree is and stretching south. I hope none of them see some of these pictures or they may actually remove it or as one person put it "velvet-rope" it.

Also personally, as someone who has a very weak link to the blood line of the tribe (about 4 generations removed)
I myself have given directions to 4-5 people and personally shown a few where it is.
But, I have to ask that people please be more dignified when treading there than bringing alcohol(its actually illegal to even posses it on the protected property, even though its not in the park). Don't go in large groups, the rangers hate that. Don't ruin it for the future generations and the people who visit respectfully. In other words, don't pull that crap again unless you want it gone.

With all due respect, I do not see where you get off saying that the group bringing champagne were not being "dignified" nor do I see where you have reason to tell anyone, "don't pull that crap again. You make it sound that the actions with premeditated with a malicious intent. They are U2 fans paying respect to the band. They are experiencing something special. They are NOT making a 4 hour trip to have drinks and piss off some Native Americans. If you have knowledge of the area or the the tribe then share it for the benefit of everyone here but save the judgmental commentary, it's not "dignified."

Their is a difference between judgemental commentary and what the people who own the land believe, which should be respected.
Their are some things more important than U2 you know? A quick glance at a park map shows you that the tree is on their land.
One person was even talking about trying to put up the video of the ranger....seriously.
I'm not trying to get into an argument, but, seriously every time I have been back to the Tree in the last 2-3 years people have left behind garbage/junk. And if they find out people are using it to "party" at they will remove it. Would you go to Bono's parent's grave sites and drink champagne their to celebrate them?
Whether or not they had malicious intent or not is unimportant, the Timbishas have had portions of the park inside of Death Valley closed because of even lesser stuff than this, I can't even say that I agree with them, I'm just letting you know. Also, remember this was one of the reasons the band never told anyone where it was.
But, by all means, if you do want it removed, just do whatever you want out their in plain view of the ranger station on the other side of the highway. Just don't cry when they actually do take all of the rock art, the journal, the plaque and the tree itself away.
If you don't believe it take a look at all of the road closings/land closings the Bureau of Land Management has undertaken in the area because of similar behavior.

Thats all I am going to say. Just don't say no one warned you when its gone.

Last edited:
I was part of the group that went to the tree. We were quiet and respectful. We picked up our trash. We did not take anything. A few people in the group had researched the tree's history and knew about the grave sites, so we didn't explore past the tree out of consideration for the people buried there. I am sure that there are people who go to that area, whether because of the tree or because it's an out-of-the-way place, to party and make trouble (the ranger told us people sometimes drive through that area), but that was not us. We shared our story because of how excited we were to visit this beautiful place. We also wanted to let people know how fortunate we are that the tree is still there and that it is up to us to make sure the tree stays by being respectful of the area, not littering, not going in huge groups, etc. I am sorry you saw our visit as disrespectful but that was not our intent.

I was part of the group that went to the tree. We were quiet and respectful. We picked up our trash. We did not take anything. A few people in the group had researched the tree's history and knew about the grave sites, so we didn't explore past the tree out of consideration for the people buried there. I am sure that there are people who go to that area, whether because of the tree or because it's an out-of-the-way place, to party and make trouble (the ranger told us people sometimes drive through that area), but that was not us. We shared our story because of how excited we were to visit this beautiful place. We also wanted to let people know how fortunate we are that the tree is still there and that it is up to us to make sure the tree stays by being respectful of the area, not littering, not going in huge groups, etc. I am sorry you saw our visit as disrespectful but that was not our intent.

Dev, you are so much more a patient, polite person than me. :hug: While I concur completely with your statement, those are not the choice words I would've used had I responded to his post.

I had to come back and look through this thread again, as well. Still chokes me up. Thanks to all of you for sharing your experience with us. Just wonderful. :heart:

PR :hug: You're very welcome.
sdunn; I agree with Zooey, hearing "In God's Country" will always make me remember that experience.

I hope that more people can join in next year.

:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom