Ishkash! please read - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Interference Gatherings
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2001, 04:23 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:14 AM
hello I'm back!

The local music scene is divided into the local and foreign. You are correct, pop reigns supreme on the foreign music charts. But it's not all bubblegum; cos at least the locals embrace such "alternative" bands as Creed, Everclear, Sugar Ray etc. U2 gets fair radio time, Radiohead not quite. The local radios mostly play mainstream music, there is a classical station, and finally there is a single radio station touting itself to be the only alternative radio in M'sia. It's called WoW FM, and they play rock & roll, U2, Guns & Roses, Rolling Stones, Tori Amos etc. I still don't think it's good enough, though; cos the deejays suck .

Local music is the interesting part! The largest industry is the Malay music industry, but I don't tune into that because it's not my cuppa tea. These days, Malay artistes are blending in R&B and rap into their music; for some reason Malays are really into those. Many Malay bands are of the Guns & Roses ilk, too; this is a phenomenon which I have yet to fathom . Lately, the local English music industry has been getting lotsa attention, and I'm glad for this. It's represented mostly by the non-Malays, i.e English-speaking Chinese and Indians. The local English music that surfaces on the radio is still kinda pop-ish with a little bit of rock&roll or rap, but then again, there is an entire underground English music industry here, where just a few bands surface to the mainstream.

For amusement's sake, I'll tell you the names of a few local bands here :
Butterfingers
LO (he's a one-man act)
Juliet the Orange
John's Mistress
Poetic Ammo (they are a unique rap group who sing(?) rap with a Malaysian flavour)

The thing in India about rock synonymous with being a "bad boy"--that's true of Malaysia too. People here, especially the Muslims, are conservative; they frown upon guys with earrings or ponytails.

As for U2, I think they have a substantial following in Malaysia. How could they not????

foray

Old 02-05-2001, 03:16 AM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 05:14 AM
I think music scene in Malaysia is much much better, atleast U2 have some following, in India..its virtually nothing, I've to convert my friends into fans, but its no fun..the real thing is better.

I'm coming back with a long post explaining the rock scene in India with U2 perspective.

------------------
Even If That Doesn't Ring True.

Old 02-05-2001, 09:45 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Thanks ishkash, I'll be waiting. Hope things have been better for you this week. Take care,

foray

it's a beautiful day, don't let it get away
Old 02-05-2001, 06:59 PM   #19
The Fly

Local Time: 07:14 PM
WHAT ABOUT PAKISTAN? LOL
Old 02-06-2001, 05:19 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie

hey ishkash, I just discovered that you're now in Lucknow?? Do you know a certain Vivek Shukla? Small-built guy, brown hair, big nose, loves cricket? He once studied in Singapore, that's where I met him.

foray
Old 02-10-2001, 06:37 AM   #21
War Child

Hey buddy Shukla is the most abundant sir name in this city, though in my close circle I don't know him.

What else?? Whats new.. I got an assignment and I have to work almost 11 hrs a day thats why I was unable to reply, but I'll write something about varanasi tomorrow,ie. Suanday.

Chill till then

------------------
Even If That Doesn't Ring True.
Old 02-11-2001, 01:54 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Hey buddy Shukla is the most abundant sir name in this city, though in my close circle I don't know him.
Hahaha!! Okay okay

Listen, I'm shifting to NZ tomorrow, and I'll check into this forum to peek at your replies ok? Gotta settle down first. Can you believe it, I don't have a place to stay yet... so I'll be busy scouting for one. Thanks for replying even though you're incredibly busy! You know, you don't have to if you can't. I don't think my replies are as interesting as yours anyway .

See ya!

foray

------------------
"Oh, I hate to see cows playing tag. Makes you think the hamburger you're eating may have been playing kiss-and-run the day before." --The (thoughtful) Edge
Old 04-13-2002, 08:54 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Wow, what a flashback.

foray
Old 04-16-2002, 05:34 AM   #24
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:14 PM
This thread rawks.
Old 04-19-2002, 11:49 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I like this thread. Can I join in? I'm not from India or Malaysia, but I can offer some information on Indonesia.
Old 04-19-2002, 11:53 AM   #26
War Child

.....Have you come to raise the dead.

Go aheahd Sula

------------------
In this Ozland
Old 04-20-2002, 01:38 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Ishkash, devil, you're back. <grin>

Sula, by all means, tell us more about where you grew up.

foray

------------------
so bounce, basketball, bounce
Old 04-20-2002, 08:14 AM   #28
War Child

------------------
In this Ozland
Old 04-20-2002, 08:16 AM   #29
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by foray:

tell us more about where you grew up.

foray
I am sure there were many more trees

------------------
In this Ozland
Old 04-22-2002, 09:35 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Well, this is initially more of a free-association exercise than a fact-based essay, but I'll do that later. Random memories of how I grew up.

Dusk

Memories swirl gently inside my head. Of a place and a home that I sometimes forget. Once, I pushed these thoughts back because of the haunting sadness they evoked. But now. Sweet. Aching still, but in a softer, gentler way. Childhood.

The feel of the dew coating the blades of bright green grass that pricked against the sides of my feet and my ankles. Rubber sandals clicking against the stone and earth as I ran down to fetch my father for dinner. The pink edges rimming the mountains as the sun hid away. Crickets, one by one, starting their song accompanied by other night insects. The faraway bark of a dog in the village echoing against the breeze. Here and there the answering refrain of roosters calling out.

Within our little wooden house, each footstep causing the floor to vibrate, the smells of soup and frying bread. Fat fluffy slabs of homemade bread slathered in salty margarine burning gently on the pan, slices of canned cheese melting between them. The soup, hearty and steaming, teaming with fresh vegetables and instant noodles. Dishes clinking against the table as my brother or I set the places. The cats rubbing around our ankles and loudly reminding us that they weren’t about to be forgotten in the time of feeding. The slight scuffle of our happy go lucky dog poking her nose between the cats and being rewarded with angry hissing.

This is peace. This is contentment. Warm and cozy in our jungle home. No evening news to watch. Indeed, no television at all. Yellow incandescent lights above our heads giving the room a soft glow. Later we might sit down while dad would read to us from whatever book we were currently working our way through. Many nights it was one of the “Little House on the Prairie” series. Strange how the annals of a life spent 100 years before mine could seem so similar. The adventures and every day chores and simple pleasures so easy to relate to.

Later, my brother and I might retire to his room to build a fort of Legos or Lincoln Logs. Or I might steal away to my room and reread my favorite book “Little Women.” Perhaps the family would sit around the table and play card games or I would beat my brother soundly at Monopoly. We might put a tape of an old 40s radio comedy or drama show on the stereo and sit in silence…entertained much as the original listeners were decades ago.

Finally, slipping in between the cold sheets of my bed and snuggling beneath the quilt, I would gaze out the small glass window beside my bed and watch the mountains. On nights with a full moon, every blade of grass in our yard would stand out and the jagged edge of the mountain ridge would cut the sky in a familiar pattern. The best nights of all were ones in which my cat would jump lightly onto the bed and curl up against my side, purring herself and me to sleep.

Simplicity.