Irish cyberpals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elevation

Acrobat
Hi everyone!

I'm planning a trip to Ireland next year (Dublin, west/southcoast) and it would be really cool to get to know some Irish folks that I maybe could visit...

Me: 28-year-old female from Copenhagen, Denmark (would love to show you Copenhagen btw if you are planning a trip here).

Interests:
Music (U2, Radiohead, Morrissey, Depeche Mode, Nick Cave, Miles Davis etc), reading: Psychology, Philosophy, fiction (danish) and hanging out with friends, culture, modern arts, Christian spirituality...

I'm not a VIP-member so you can't PM me. My mail/MSN is: kirstengrube(@)hotmail.com

Feel free to write to me - I would love to hear from someone (m/f) from Ireland....:-D

Last edited:
Not quite what I was looking for, damn. :searchcontinues:

AnywayI'm from there, just not living there, I'll flip you an email and answer any questions you have :up:

snowbunny00774 said:
Not quite what I was looking for, damn. :searchcontinues:

:lol: don't worry, i misinterpreted this one too. damn shame. maybe i should post a "looking for a strapping irish fellow to marry so i can get my citizenship". we can divi up the responses. :wink:

I'm not from Dublin really, but I lived there for a bit last year (July marks the anniversary :sad: ) I'd also be happy to answer questions so I can live vicariously though your experience.

Last edited:
im actually also lookign for someone in Dublin. im going to visit there sometime soon.
<<<<16.
im doing one of those independent homestay things soon and was hoping to find someone to hang out with while im there.
i play guitar and i LOVE U2...and classic rock in general
email::::AngelxinxDevilShoes@yahoo.com
:wink:

Another e-mail address

Hmm....:)

Well, I changed my e-mail address. It's
kirstengrube(at)gmail.com (can also be used on MSN)

As I said it would be cool to get to know someone from Ireland....

Surprisingly few actual Irish people on the biggest U2 message board no?

I'm Irish but obviously from Belfast...I guess you would be looking for someone from Dublin?

Where are all the Irish folk:(

There is a number of us from Belfast here, me, my brother and sister, then Salome and Lara Mullen......Financeguy is from Dublin and I can't think of anyone else that is actually living in Ireland at the moment...weird one that is.

LJT said:
There is a number of us from Belfast here, me, my brother and sister, then Salome and Lara Mullen......Financeguy is from Dublin and I can't think of anyone else that is actually living in Ireland at the moment...weird one that is.

Planning my own trip to Dublin...ahem...(sorry all you Belfast-types) soon. Fourth generation Irish American, so that does mean there is that German quotient in the equation; but great-grandfather's last name was Ward, and great-grandmother's maiden name was Rafferty. I pride myself on my Irish heritage, thank you...(Mary Margaret Ward, at your service:angel: )

Just out of curiousity, can we Yanks work in Ireland? I know I can stay for a while, but can I legally work? Or do I have to get a permit of some kind? (I do need to support myself, and I want to soak in my ancestral home on my father's side of the family. ) Maybe I'll visit Belfast too!

well, you can, but it is quite difficult. i've been trying to move up there for quite some time. there are certain jobs (i.e. retail, hospitality, etc.) that they will not hire americans for. if you want to work, it has to be on the list of approved jobs (check the embassy web site). and you'd have to get a work permit. which, is a pain, because it is a lot of work on your end as well as on the company's end. they have to basically explain to the gov't why they couldn't find an e.u. citizen to do the job, then THEY get a special permit, then you get a work permit. and the job has to be between 30,000-60,000 euro in salary. no part time.

good luck to you though. i hope you find something! you can always volunteer if you can't get a job there. that was just a brief explanation, the embassy is more thorough.

Freefall said:

Planning my own trip to Dublin...ahem...(sorry all you Belfast-types) soon. Fourth generation Irish American, so that does mean there is that German quotient in the equation; but great-grandfather's last name was Ward, and great-grandmother's maiden name was Rafferty. I pride myself on my Irish heritage, thank you...(Mary Margaret Ward, at your service:angel: )

Just out of curiousity, can we Yanks work in Ireland? I know I can stay for a while, but can I legally work? Or do I have to get a permit of some kind? (I do need to support myself, and I want to soak in my ancestral home on my father's side of the family. ) Maybe I'll visit Belfast too!

Unico gives good advice...plus say if anyone wanted to work in Northern Ireland they would have to go through a UK embassy...which might be easier though:hmm:

What is funny though is that my surname is also Ward....so maybe in some completely obscure way we could be quite related:tongue:

LJT said:

Unico gives good advice...plus say if anyone wanted to work in Northern Ireland they would have to go through a UK embassy...which might be easier though:hmm:

What is funny though is that my surname is also Ward....so maybe in some completely obscure way we could be quite related:tongue:

Well, what do you know? I wonder just how many distant relatives I may find up there? Pleasure to interact with you, LJT! (And waggin' the tongue at me, are ya'? Where's me shillelagh? :madwife: )

:giggle:

Thanks for the advice, unico and LJT! I definitely have a bit of planning to do; but I know I would love to see Ireland. (I hope you all don't mind an American doing the reverse immigration thing? I mean you might need one Ward back at least?)

Your very welcome back!

Thy say most Wards come from Galway or Donegal. Ward though is just the anglicisation of Mac an Bhaird (Son of the Bard) unlike the English form of Ward which referred to a warden or watchman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_an_Bhaird

Wikipedia is brilliant...it actually has a specific entry for the name...so check it out, tis good stuff on the name...apparently it makes us quite learned folk:wink:

LJT said:
Your very welcome back!

Thy say most Wards come from Galway or Donegal. Ward though is just the anglicisation of Mac an Bhaird (Son of the Bard) unlike the English form of Ward which referred to a warden or watchman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_an_Bhaird

Wikipedia is brilliant...it actually has a specific entry for the name...so check it out, tis good stuff on the name...apparently it makes us quite learned folk:wink:

Oh, I :heart: the reference... writing songs, singing, worship...all passions of mine! (Brownish, fair-haired? Well, I am a strawberry blonde type, afterall! Stern warriors...:bonodrum:...musical warriors, mind you! Trustworthy and loyal...definitely! Genial, fearless, active...I think I am swelling with a tad of pride now!) As for being learned folk, didn't you know that already, LJT? But then I have been accused of kissing this on occasion! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blarney_Stone
I can flatter with the best of 'em, cousin! (If I may call you that! If not, you will have to get me in Orlando, which is a little difficult to do, or on the boards, which may be easier! )

Thank you again for sharing that! Mary
kinswoman_2001@yahoo.com
If you care to e-mail, LJT! Always like to make new friends!

Last edited:
haha no worries, if people weren't bold I don't think anyone would ever talk to anyone else ever. Sorry I just hadn't got round to sending an email yet!

Just out of curiousity...I was married to a Canadian, and I still have landed immigrant status in Canada. If I got dual citizenship, I could legally stay in Northern Ireland at least, right? And work without an authorization?

Sorry I'm not the greatest authority on immigration status and all that....butI do think if you are a commonwealth citizen, there is a far shorter and easier process to immigrate....though to be honest you would do bestto phone someone at the nearest British embassy.

LJT said:
Sorry I'm not the greatest authority on immigration status and all that....butI do think if you are a commonwealth citizen, there is a far shorter and easier process to immigrate....though to be honest you would do bestto phone someone at the nearest British embassy.

Thanks, LJT...will do.

Back
Top Bottom