InTO The Heart 2008 - Get ready, beeches!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
from facebook message:

Subject: ITH 2008 ANNOUNCEMENT

IT IS OFFICIAL. The 6th annual INTO THE HEART FESTIVAL in partnership with
POLSON PIER hits Toronto once again November 14 – 15, 2008.

Saturday November 15, 2008: for one night only ITH is proud to bring back the
very successful, ground breaking U2 SONGBOOK in a venue almost as sexy as Bono
himself, the SOLARIUM at POLSON PIER (formerly The Docks). A stellar lineup of
indie musicians will be performing their acoustic covers of U2 songs with the
spectacular skyline of Toronto as the back drop.

Back by popular demand, ITH also presents the U2 FAN PHOTO AND ART EXHIBIT.
Professional and amateur photographer’s and artist’s tour photos, paintings,
sketches and sculptures will be on display. Some of the photographs and art work
will be auctioned off to raise funds for ITH charity recipients. ITH will be
raffling off some prizes that are bigger and better than ever before. Do not be
left at the zoo station or anywhere else other than POLSON PIER
(PolsonPier ::) on November 15, 2008.

To kick the weekend off an unofficial ITH event, on Friday November 14, 2008,
singer-songwriter, record producer and moviemaker DANIEL LANOIS, is playing at
Massey Hall. We all know and love the work Lanois has done with U2, catapulting
them into the stratosphere with the release of Unforgettable Fire and Joshua
Tree. We are all anticipating the release of the new album to see what the
collaboration of U2, Lanois and Brian Eno once again produces. To really
appreciate Lanois’ role as a record producer, one must see him as the musician,
on stage playing his guitars, working those pedals and telling his own stories.
Truly this is a concert not to be missed! Tickets are still available so don’t
wait and get your seats today (Tickets for Concerts, Sports, Arts, Theater, Family, Events, more. Official Ticketmaster site).

A one-nighter!!! :lol: what's wrong with those canucks????

Like I mentioned, I heard, read, knew that it might be a new management situation.

We've seen Daniel Lanois around L.A.; he's good and he'll stick around to talk and sign but he lives nearby, I'll catch him in Silverlake....we never committed to this one due to other travel plans.

At least one of this year's organizers has helped out with ITH before so not entirely new mgmt but still surprising it's only one night.

Strange no Elevation show, that's usually the highlight of the weekend..

sorry people for the late announcement.

sorry to those of you who can not make it because of the short notice. we hope to make it up to you next year.

it is going to be a great nite, in an one of the most exciting venues in toronto.

i hope you can make it.

again sorry for the late announcement

sam b

Out, other plans that weekend. That's too bad. Way too short notice (apology noted), interesting that they're piggybacking a completely unrelated event to try and round out the weekend.

Also, I think people look forward to the tribute band piece of the weekend in addition to Songbook, as they know they will then be hearing the songs generally closer to how U2 perform them. As for that band being Elevation, several years of precedent does tend to set an expectation. Change is fine, but you can't expect people to embrace a change to tradition after one notice has been posted.

Reputation only goes so far, and organizational changes, format changes and late advertisement will result I think in ITH having to prove itself again to an extent.

With the mention of planning for 2009 in some of the GTA notices, this sounds like a stopgap year, so looking forward to hearing good stuff about how it goes and then (with lots of notice!) the plans for next year :)

it wouldn't be an ith if elevation did not make an appearance?

Nah, not at all, I was merely noting my surprise at their absence. (Funnily enough, I'm not into tribute bands...sorry Massimo :wink: )
Elevation's great but usually they've played on the Saturday night and that's usually been the night with the largest turnout so by those standards, it's been the "highlight" of the weekend.

I didn't attend the last two years and have heard great things about this Songbook event.
I'm def looking forward to the weekend :yes:

yay i'm so glad i spent 1/2 the day on my birthday sitting in a immigration office waiting to get a stamp on my passport so i could travel and listening to a stupid baby screaming like a hyena for nothing! :tsk:

OUT

I'll be going to the Elevation show on Oct 18th, and will have to catch ITH next year. It's a shame, but there are only so many trips that I can afford this year, and with no headlining band, I had to make a hard decision. Looking forward to next year!

ah ye who hath little faith ......

Folks, all that happened was an announced date. Details on "acts" will be forthcoming. It`s not a "stop gap year" as implied. 2009 naturally will be a huge year because of the tour and a new album . Nov 15 will be special , no doubt . And there is no way that the dates will jive with everyone every year , ITH would love to have everyone back every year but that is impossible. It`s ITH`s goal to keep it fresh and not repeat itself year after year after year with the same format etc .

early reports were that the new u2 album would be out nov 18. so the 15th would have been a great date because of that . the release date moved and Lanois announced a show on the 14th.Why would ITH want to compete with Lanois or make people choose between both events.

So much work goes on to pull off the event every year . Those involved have lives and this year just happened to be a very difficult year . All involved year after year , giving up there time and effort without want . Time goes on , people start families, job commitments , life stuff. They should be applauded and please :

reserve judgment of ITH 09 until the morning of nov 16th :)

Folks, all that happened was an announced date.

I speak for myself, but I'm sure others agree, that what I was frustrated with was the delay in releasing the date. Not the date itself. If it was decided back when U2's album release was announced, why not post it then? Daniel Lanois' event at Massey Hall was announced back in early August (perhaps sooner, but that's when I first heard about it.) Why not announce the date in August? Why wait til the end of September, with 47 days before the event?

Nobody is complaining about the effort it takes to organize this. I used to do event planning, so I know what all is involved, and I respect others who are in the field. I also know the importance of promotions. Giving people just over a month's notice for an event that you expect to be grand is not going to result in ideal attendance numbers. Just like you event planners do, we all have lives as well. Like I stated, it isn't the date itself that I found frustrating, it was the delay in announcing it. I would've happily scheduled my life accordingly to attend, but as time passed on, other things have come up, and I wasn't going to toss them aside as I waited for you all to tell us what was going on.

I'm sure you're full aware that people travel far distances to attend this event. With the cost of travel ever increasing, early planning is absolutely necessary to get decent rates. With the event only 47 days away, the cost of transportation is already absurd. This is why many of us who were interested can no longer make it.

That being said, turi001, thank you for your apology. I look forward to next year's event.

Folks, all that happened was an announced date. Details on "acts" will be forthcoming. It`s not a "stop gap year" as implied. 2009 naturally will be a huge year because of the tour and a new album . Nov 15 will be special , no doubt . And there is no way that the dates will jive with everyone every year , ITH would love to have everyone back every year but that is impossible. It`s ITH`s goal to keep it fresh and not repeat itself year after year after year with the same format etc .

early reports were that the new u2 album would be out nov 18. so the 15th would have been a great date because of that . the release date moved and Lanois announced a show on the 14th.Why would ITH want to compete with Lanois or make people choose between both events.

So much work goes on to pull off the event every year . Those involved have lives and this year just happened to be a very difficult year . All involved year after year , giving up there time and effort without want . Time goes on , people start families, job commitments , life stuff. They should be applauded and please :

reserve judgment of ITH 09 until the morning of nov 16th :)

We DO applaud you and the other organizers year after year Tony, you know that. You and Sam and Michelle and everyone else who has given their time and considerable efforts to making this a huge success every year deserve all the recognition in the world.

It's like Mia said though, for those of us coming from a distance, the lack of a date has been the issue, not the shortened schedule or absence of Elevation. Most of us gave up waiting and made other plans or just decided to wait until next year when hopefully we can request vacation days and get flights that cost less than our mortgage payments.

For those who can still make it, have a blast and we'll see you all next year :wave:

We DO applaud you and the other organizers year after year Tony, you know that. You and Sam and Michelle and everyone else who has given their time and considerable efforts to making this a huge success every year deserve all the recognition in the world.

agreed 110%. everyone involved most definitely deserves high high praise for organizing such an event. i had the BEST time last year!!!

my hat goes off to all those who have been at it since the first one. from the planners to all the volunteers . i only got involved two years ago (and really dove in last year ) .

we won`t let the legacy down and you all, from afar ,will be there in spirit i am sure

btw : don`t take the nickname i am using seriously , lol . there is a story behind it ( kind of a "you had to be there " story , lol.

I definitely echo what the others have said. I have been going to ITH since it began, and it has always been special. As a fundraiser by trade, I know just how hard it is to put on these events (which is why I studiously avoid doing them! :lol: )

With me it was also the not knowing when the date would be and having to pick my travel, especially when I have almost solid work travel all of Oct and Nov. I hope you all have a wonderful time, and we certainly hope to be there next year. :)

regarding the date.

things keep changing. without getting into a long drawn out detailed explanation.

we could not release the dates 2 months ago cause we had no venue. if we had released the date 2 months ago...there was a good chance the dates were gonna change.

so anyways, if we could have we would have.

again sorry.

i am gonna miss all of you this year.

Back
Top Bottom