Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Interference Gatherings
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2008, 11:06 AM   #106
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbunny00774 View Post

With the mention of planning for 2009 in some of the GTA notices, this sounds like a stopgap year, so looking forward to hearing good stuff about how it goes and then (with lots of notice!) the plans for next year

Old 09-27-2008, 11:21 AM   #107
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:04 AM
Well..ok...Nov. 14 and 15 for us is Joshua Tree in Vegas, closer, less expensive and fits into the budget.

Same time next year ITTH.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:34 PM   #108
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turi001 View Post
it wouldn't be an ith if elevation did not make an appearance?
Nah, not at all, I was merely noting my surprise at their absence. (Funnily enough, I'm not into tribute bands...sorry Massimo )
Elevation's great but usually they've played on the Saturday night and that's usually been the night with the largest turnout so by those standards, it's been the "highlight" of the weekend.

I didn't attend the last two years and have heard great things about this Songbook event.
I'm def looking forward to the weekend
Old 09-27-2008, 01:45 PM   #109
War Child

Local Time: 04:04 AM
yay i'm so glad i spent 1/2 the day on my birthday sitting in a immigration office waiting to get a stamp on my passport so i could travel and listening to a stupid baby screaming like a hyena for nothing!

OUT
Old 09-27-2008, 02:01 PM   #110
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: Gettin' hot in a photobooth....livin it up in Ikeaville

Iono, I've never gone before but this seems a lesser to other years. And while the songbook thing may be cool, I think I'll wait - and look forward to- next year.

But Kaf, we can still have a pantless party!
Old 09-27-2008, 05:10 PM   #111
Bono's Belly Dancing Friend

I'll be going to the Elevation show on Oct 18th, and will have to catch ITH next year. It's a shame, but there are only so many trips that I can afford this year, and with no headlining band, I had to make a hard decision. Looking forward to next year!
Old 09-27-2008, 05:41 PM   #112
The Fly

ah ye who hath little faith ......

Folks, all that happened was an announced date. Details on "acts" will be forthcoming. It`s not a "stop gap year" as implied. 2009 naturally will be a huge year because of the tour and a new album . Nov 15 will be special , no doubt . And there is no way that the dates will jive with everyone every year , ITH would love to have everyone back every year but that is impossible. It`s ITH`s goal to keep it fresh and not repeat itself year after year after year with the same format etc .

early reports were that the new u2 album would be out nov 18. so the 15th would have been a great date because of that . the release date moved and Lanois announced a show on the 14th.Why would ITH want to compete with Lanois or make people choose between both events.

So much work goes on to pull off the event every year . Those involved have lives and this year just happened to be a very difficult year . All involved year after year , giving up there time and effort without want . Time goes on , people start families, job commitments , life stuff. They should be applauded and please :

reserve judgment of ITH 09 until the morning of nov 16th :-)
Old 09-27-2008, 06:11 PM   #113
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPER_SUPER_FAN View Post

Folks, all that happened was an announced date.

I speak for myself, but I'm sure others agree, that what I was frustrated with was the delay in releasing the date. Not the date itself. If it was decided back when U2's album release was announced, why not post it then? Daniel Lanois' event at Massey Hall was announced back in early August (perhaps sooner, but that's when I first heard about it.) Why not announce the date in August? Why wait til the end of September, with 47 days before the event?

Nobody is complaining about the effort it takes to organize this. I used to do event planning, so I know what all is involved, and I respect others who are in the field. I also know the importance of promotions. Giving people just over a month's notice for an event that you expect to be grand is not going to result in ideal attendance numbers. Just like you event planners do, we all have lives as well. Like I stated, it isn't the date itself that I found frustrating, it was the delay in announcing it. I would've happily scheduled my life accordingly to attend, but as time passed on, other things have come up, and I wasn't going to toss them aside as I waited for you all to tell us what was going on.

I'm sure you're full aware that people travel far distances to attend this event. With the cost of travel ever increasing, early planning is absolutely necessary to get decent rates. With the event only 47 days away, the cost of transportation is already absurd. This is why many of us who were interested can no longer make it.

That being said, turi001, thank you for your apology. I look forward to next year's event.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:25 PM   #114
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPER_SUPER_FAN View Post

Folks, all that happened was an announced date. Details on "acts" will be forthcoming. It`s not a "stop gap year" as implied. 2009 naturally will be a huge year because of the tour and a new album . Nov 15 will be special , no doubt . And there is no way that the dates will jive with everyone every year , ITH would love to have everyone back every year but that is impossible. It`s ITH`s goal to keep it fresh and not repeat itself year after year after year with the same format etc .

early reports were that the new u2 album would be out nov 18. so the 15th would have been a great date because of that . the release date moved and Lanois announced a show on the 14th.Why would ITH want to compete with Lanois or make people choose between both events.

So much work goes on to pull off the event every year . Those involved have lives and this year just happened to be a very difficult year . All involved year after year , giving up there time and effort without want . Time goes on , people start families, job commitments , life stuff. They should be applauded and please :

reserve judgment of ITH 09 until the morning of nov 16th :-)
We DO applaud you and the other organizers year after year Tony, you know that. You and Sam and Michelle and everyone else who has given their time and considerable efforts to making this a huge success every year deserve all the recognition in the world.

It's like Mia said though, for those of us coming from a distance, the lack of a date has been the issue, not the shortened schedule or absence of Elevation. Most of us gave up waiting and made other plans or just decided to wait until next year when hopefully we can request vacation days and get flights that cost less than our mortgage payments.

For those who can still make it, have a blast and we'll see you all next year
Old 09-27-2008, 06:34 PM   #115
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: Somewhere between The Edge, Matt Bellamy and Brian Fallon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAW View Post
We DO applaud you and the other organizers year after year Tony, you know that. You and Sam and Michelle and everyone else who has given their time and considerable efforts to making this a huge success every year deserve all the recognition in the world.
agreed 110%. everyone involved most definitely deserves high high praise for organizing such an event. i had the BEST time last year!!!
Old 09-27-2008, 07:13 PM   #116
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladywithspinninghead View Post
I didn't attend the last two years and have heard great things about this Songbook event.
Yeah, I missed you last year. Now I had no-one to buy a Sprite for.

Have fun! I thought that the U2 Songbook was the highlight of last year.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:23 PM   #117
The Fly

my hat goes off to all those who have been at it since the first one. from the planners to all the volunteers . i only got involved two years ago (and really dove in last year ) .

we won`t let the legacy down and you all, from afar ,will be there in spirit i am sure
Old 09-27-2008, 08:24 PM   #118
The Fly

btw : don`t take the nickname i am using seriously , lol . there is a story behind it ( kind of a "you had to be there " story , lol.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:30 PM   #119
Bono's Belly Dancing Friend

I definitely echo what the others have said. I have been going to ITH since it began, and it has always been special. As a fundraiser by trade, I know just how hard it is to put on these events (which is why I studiously avoid doing them! )

With me it was also the not knowing when the date would be and having to pick my travel, especially when I have almost solid work travel all of Oct and Nov. I hope you all have a wonderful time, and we certainly hope to be there next year.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:15 AM   #120
The Fly

Local Time: 08:04 AM
regarding the date.

things keep changing. without getting into a long drawn out detailed explanation.

we could not release the dates 2 months ago cause we had no venue. if we had released the date 2 months ago...there was a good chance the dates were gonna change.

so anyways, if we could have we would have.

again sorry.

i am gonna miss all of you this year.