I'm Going To Ireland!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vlasak

Acrobat
I need some advice. I'm finally getting to go to Ireland next year. I have money, I have way too much vacation time and I definately have the will (even though no one will go with me!). This will be a once in a life time trip for me so I want to do it right! My main goal is to see as much of U2, in any way shape or form as possible and to sit in pubs, while it rains, and drink. I want to be close enough to something so I can walk, but I want to see everything too! I need a decent place to stay (I'll be alone remember), affordable, and I need some sort of "U2 guide". Also, I don't know when I should go. Since they will be going on tour next year, I want to make sure I have the highest probability of running into them while I'm there! I'm confused and dazed and I need some good advice. Thanks!!!

Hey! I'm going to Ireland too...summer of 2004. so I want some advice as well!
when are you going vlasak? cause im going with my friend and she isn't a U2 fan...and I know I am going to wander on my own look at all the U2 things...
so i dunno. I'm just lookin for some advice as well. :)

~Katelyn

i would love to help y'all out. i had a blast when i went over there. I didn't do much on the U2 level, other than stay a few nights at the Clarence.

this is what my friend and I did. we flew into Shannon Airport and rented a car and drove around the western part of the country. We only took the train from Limerick to Dublin, because there was no way in hell we were going to tackle the drive into Dublin.

We stayed with a friend of ours who lives in a small crossroads village called Inagh for a few nights. He helped map out our travels, took us to his local pubs and introduced us to his friends and family. :heart: When we were on our own, we did our tour with the sole help of the Lonely Planet guide book and Rick Steves guide book. Both books took us off the typical tourist things to see and allowed us to do things that allowed us to interact with the locals. I would not have had it any other way.

We enjoyed going to Kinsale, Dingle, Doolin and of course Dublin. I would recommend staying in Bed and Breakfasts. They are a great value, friendly and will allow you to be with locals. :up: Also we just hit any local pub that we saw that took our interest. We met so many locals and they welcomed us literally with open arms and kisses in those pubs. I can't wait to go back and tour more of Ireland. it is a beautiful country with beautiful people. my only regret was not having more time to tour Dublin. but i will be back. :D

have fun!

God Bless You and Thank you! I'm so excited I can't sleep and I still have MONTHS to go! Hey BonoInAKilt - maybe we can meet up somewhere? I'd love to meet another U2 fan. I would hide in the bushes to get a glimpse of Bono. Are you that crazy? The bad part is, I'm 39 years old!

The Dublin guide at www.atu2.com is all I needed to find U2 places in Dublin.
There are dozens of people here that can help too.
I'd suggest staying in B&B's but if you're traveling alone, it's not cheap, you might try hostels(if you don't mind them).
www.ricksteves.com
I used his book for Ireland, it's awesome. I really trust his opinions on places to sleep.
You are more than welcome to email me if you'd like to talk more about this...
mrs_clayton@hotmail.com

Wonderful! Well, I've inquired of some B&B's and I received a response from an Abbey Vale B&B in Swords, Co. Dublin. Has anyone ever heard of it?, seen it? They are only charging 270euros for six nights so I'm afraid it might be shabby? Thanks for your help!

vlasak said:
Wonderful! Well, I've inquired of some B&B's and I received a response from an Abbey Vale B&B in Swords, Co. Dublin. Has anyone ever heard of it?, seen it? They are only charging 270euros for six nights so I'm afraid it might be shabby? Thanks for your help!

Well, it doesn't sound too bad, but the only thing about Swords is that it's at least 30 minutes away from the city centre, and if there's traffic, it'll take you 45 or 50 minutes to get there! :huh:

I stayed in Dun Laoghaire...and I loved it. If I remember correctly, it's about a 20 minute ride on the DART into town.

Go to St Michans

Everyone HAS to go to St michans

We always stay in the gresham because they do good deals for weekends

But its expnesive other times

Dun Laoghaire! (Pronounced Done Leery) I used to take the bus up there all the time...good ol 46A!

Well let's see...definitely the Guinness Factory! They have the absolute best Guinness there. St. Steven's Green, Check out the small pubs, especially Dockers...you'll love it! I know the bartender there he's really kewl...he let us put on Bono's Fly shades and let me fondle Larry's drumsticks! :D

Temple Bar is a great area! There's lots of nice bars, Eamon Doran's is cool, I've seen BP Fallon there a few times, of course The Clarence Hotel, the Octagon Bar is the best, they give you free chips and it's really posh. They treat you really well.

Grafton St. is great. Trinity College, St. Patrick's Cathedral, and a block from there they have the Viking tours which takes you on this boat/truck and they go behind U2's studio :D

Christchurch is cool, Dublinia too...they have lots of history about Dublin and interactive stuff.

Dublin Castle is a must! Especally when you take the ghost walk tour like we did.

That's all that I can think of for now LOL...but you should definitely head to the Dublin tourism office. They are really really helpful and you can buy tickets to anything there :) I hope that helped :)

Back
Top Bottom