Hey, you Atlanta/North Georgia folk...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
are you training to be a teacher? I think our school's more than 100 miles from you, dammit :wink:

hope you guys have fun at coldplay...I don't have tix but it's okay cos I'm not that into them.

(my b-day's tomorrow by the way, which would be why it's not on the main page, lol)

Apparently. I think I heard this on the radio Tuesday morning, and I think they were referring to the game the night before...

And yes Iris, you definitely deserve it. :hug:

I wonder what he thought of my brother in law. :)

*my brother in law sings at the Falcons home games*

All please make sure you greet each day with a smile and with love for your friends and family. I have lost one too many childhood classmates to senseless crimes and no matter how young I was or how old I am when their deaths occured the pain remains the same.

RIP
Kim
Chet
Christy
Stan

Last edited:
Oh, I'm so sorry about your friend, Iris. What an awful thing to happen. At least he won't be able to do that to anyone else.

:hug:

Iris :(, my school has a curse. We've been open for 4 years and have had I think 8 student deaths. 6 in the past 6 months. Today we watched a tribute to the 3 most recent ones, a rising junior and 2 rising seniors. I was in a class with one of their younger brothers, and he started sobbing. It was one of the worst things I've ever seen. And the sister of another kid was talking about her best memory of him, and she started weeping on camera. Those two things combined, and I was fucking bawling by the end of the video, and so was everyone else. I wasn't even that close to any of them. I just can't get over the whole thing, so many one right after the other.

RIP
Becca
Mandy
Jessie
Claire
Kasey
Beau
Mike (Dewey)

:hug:

yeah, well it's not exactly a contest anyway :slant:

the thing is, I didn't know any of these people to well (although some of my friends did). But I still think about it way too much. I've never lost anyone really close to me in my life, and I know it happens to everyone at some point and it scares the shit out of me. I don't have any religion or spirituality of any sort and I don't know how I'd ever handle it. Sometimes I just think about one of my friends dying, and going to their funeral, and I just cry forever...I'm so afraid of it.

well......on the plus side I got a purse, jacket, earrings, and a CD for my birthday~!

I'm sorry things are a bit rough for you guys right now.:hug:

I will be taking the teacher certification test tomorrow am. I'm scared because I've known people who've had to take it 2 and 3 times. I'm taking it this fall as opposed to early spring to get a jump on things, but I found after I signed up for it that I didn't really have time to review. I don't feel like I'm as prepared as I should be, but then again, I've also known people to walk in and ace the thing.:slant:

didn't read this thread :reject: and I've actually never travelled to this part of the forum :reject: Just a :hug: to all and a good luck wish for U2dork (and a :hug: too)

Holy crap, that was an insane test. The whole day started off bad with having to take Marta to get there. They've cut their service back to a train approx. every 20 minutes. Then they were "single tracking" today which meant even further delays so I had to book-it to the test site. I was 10 minutes late, but fortunately they hadn't started yet.

I took the test for mathematics teachers. We had 2 hours to answer 50 mult. choice questions and an hour for word problems ranging from high school level geometry up to the college level abstract algebra. That's something like 2 minutes and 24 seconds to do the scratch work and plug stuff in to your calculator for each problem on the mult. choice and 15 min. a problem for the word problems. No one finished the test. I guessed at the ones that I knew would take me longer to figure out. I'm pretty sure I'll have to take it again, but at least I have time to do it before I graduate. I look at the experience today as a very expensive study session.

Only 11 days 'til Coldplay :)

Oh dear God.

Barbara, reading your description of the test made me shudder. I cannot stand math! I remember studying TONS for the math section of the SAT back in high school.....:banghead: But I digress. I am sure you did better than you think. :up: :angel:

Yeah Coldplay! Hey is there any way I could pay you for gas and ride along with you? I know you are leaving later but time doesn't much matter. I have a seat....my car is not so reliable these days :sad:

I'll have to let you know on that, Lauren. I'm not exactly sure what part of the 100 mile radius of Athens I'll be leaving from yet.
As for meeting up before hand, I'll get in touch with the person who's coming to the show with me this week and try to figure out what time he can get up here. Where would be a good place to meet?

I am sorry. If I were a parent with young children, I would be pissed off. Having to use two unexpected vacation days because of this so call conservation and spend money on sitters or what have you would really piss me off. So we have plenty of gas and there is no shortage but school is out to conserve fuel?:der: Nice message you are sending Sonny. :up:

[q]Gas jitters close schools, jam pumps
> Perdue's request, short notice rile parents

> By CARLOS CAMPOS
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
> Published on: 09/24/05

Gov. Sonny Perdue asked Georgians late Friday to remain calm as a hurricane again threatened to disrupt the state's gasoline supply. It didn't work.

Within minutes of his canceling school for two days next week and asking Georgians to conserve fuel in anticipation of a repeat of the Hurricane Katrina gas crunch, motorists began queuing up at gas stations, and anxious parents wondered what to do with their children on Monday and Tuesday.

Cars were 10 deep Friday afternoon at a Sam's Club in Marietta, where regular unleaded gasoline was sold out by 5 p.m. Gas manager Steve Stephens predicted that the rest would be gone within hours.

Retired U.S. Army Col. Wilburn See, 70, of east Cobb County spent about $150 to fill up his Cadillac Escalade and his wife's sedan.

"They told us they were going to stop the buses, so I figured I'd better come on and get some gas," See said. "We're worried about a shortage."

By Friday night, however, some gas stations appeared to be back to business as usual.

'You're joking, right?'

Almost as quickly as Perdue made his decisions public at a Capitol news conference, he found himself on the defensive. He called the conservation measures "calm, proactive actions."

"It's again — trying to be transparent, forthcoming about information and asking people to relax and to understand that while we are taking this action to conserve fuel, it is best handled in the spirit of calmness and rationality," he said.

In a conference telephone call, Perdue asked state school superintendents to suspend school Monday and Tuesday to help conserve 500,000 gallons of diesel fuel and countless gallons of gasoline expended by parents shuttling students and teachers going to and from work. Although the closures are voluntary, Perdue said he anticipates that every school system would close both days.

Only four school systems — Floyd County, Haralson County, Rome city and Thomasville city — decided to remain open.

"It was like, 'We have a situation here and we need your help and we really want you to do it,' " said Fayette County school Superintendent John DeCotis. "Every superintendent I spoke to is complying."

Some private schools said they also would close.

Sales representative Teresa McCreight and her friends were immediately burning up one another's cellphones with the unwanted news that school will be out.

A friend "called and told me that and I said, 'You're joking, right? Please tell me you made that up,' " she said.

McCreight, of Buckhead, said she has sales calls lined up Monday and Tueday and will either have to take two unexpected vacation days or pay $150 a day for a baby sitter to watch her two children, 10 and 7, who attend Sarah Smith Elementary School.

Perdue aides said the governor is sympathetic to the plight of parents and that he hopes they will use the weekend to make arrangements for their children.

Many schoolchildren, predictably, were delighted to get "snow days" in September.

Jeroson Williams, 12, heard about his good fortune along with a busload of other students heading home Friday from Sandtown Middle School in south Fulton County.

"Our bus driver must have been listening to the bus radio," the eighth-grader said. "She slowed the bus down, started listening to it. 'Everybody!' she started screaming. 'Four-day weekend!' "

The students on the bus exploded in celebration. "It was like a parade," Jeroson said. "Everybody was like, 'Yeah!' "

His mother, Karon, was less enthusiastic. Jeroson told her the news as soon as he came in the door. "I was lying there, thinking, how will that help?" she said.

The state's public colleges and universities planned to operate on a normal schedule, said John Millsaps, a spokesman for the University System of Georgia. But the institutions were encouraged to limit travel in accordance with the governor's request to conserve fuel.

Cox decries Perdue 'stunt'

As Hurricane Katrina slowed the flow of gasoline through pipelines from the Gulf Coast to Georgia, panicked motorists overwhelmed gas stations. Some stations ran out; others hiked prices as high as $4 and $5 a gallon.

"We don't want a repeat of the wasteful and unnecessary gas panic that we saw after Katrina," Perdue said. "Hopefully we've learned a lesson, and we just need to take a deep breath and be cool about the gas situation."

To help relieve the price spike after Katrina, Perdue suspended the state's tax on gasoline — about 15 cents per gallon. That suspension will continue through the end of September, and Perdue said Friday that he has no plans to extend it.

He urged motorists to fuel up only when their tanks near empty. It quickly became clear Friday, however, that many weren't heeding his message.

On his way home from work, mortgage broker John Rackley saw lines of cars at a QuikTrip on Five Forks Trickum Road. That station ran out of gas.

Rackley said Perdue's attempt to be proactive was admirable but backfired. "My feeling is the general public is thinking maybe something's going on that we don't know about," he said. "Nobody trusts the government anymore."

Perdue's political rivals — some of whom will vie for his job next year — also sprang into action Friday. Secretary of State Cathy Cox, a candidate for governor, said Perdue's "stunt" was causing chaos and costing parents who will have to pay for child care. The campaign of Lt. Gov. Mark Taylor, who is also running for governor, also chastised the move.

Perdue also signed an executive order Friday requiring state agencies to suspend nonessential travel and to go to four-day, 10-hour workweeks and encourage some employees to work from home. Perdue estimated that about one-fourth of the state's 100,000 employees could telecommute.

State agencies late Friday began putting together energy-saving plans, which they must submit to the governor Monday.

"The [transportation] commissioner did call in the senior staff and asked them to put an additional focus on teleworking and alternative work hours," said state Department of Transportation spokeswoman Vicki Gavalas.

Perdue encouraged private businesses to do likewise. Several major employers, including Coca-Cola and BellSouth, immediately encouraged employees to use mass transit, car pool or telecommute. MARTA officials said they are watching ridership closely and are prepared to increase train runs if needed.

The governor, meanwhile, was optimistic that the aftereffects of Hurricane Rita will be temporary and surmountable.

"If Georgians stick together, work together and conserve together, we can weather whatever problems Rita brings our way with the least possible inconvenience," Perdue said.

Staff writers Bridget Gutierrez, Mary MacDonald, Andrea Jones, Patti Ghezzi, Aileen Dodd, Diane R. Stepp, Heather Vogell, Chandler Brown, Scott Leith, Duane Stanford and Ariel Hart contributed to this article.[/q]

The whole thing pisses me off 'cause it effects my classes. :angry:

It also pisses me off because I really, truely needed gas last night. I went to 3 stations: One was so jam packed I'd have to wait over an hour and the other two only had premium gas for sale. I went home without gas. I blame the governor for provoking unnecessary fear into the public.

But I suppose, if I were still in high school, I'd think it was the greatest thing ever, until spring comes and those snow days are needed so they tack them onto the end of the year.

Well, the gas stations started inching up the prices while Rita was still in the middle of the Gulf. I filled up then, because I knew what happened during Katrina would happen again. There were stations out of gas before Friday. Maybe what he did made it worse, but who knows. The news certainly let everyone know that ALL THE REFINERIES WERE GOING TO DIE!!11!!

Childcare for one day is $150?? Where? I mean....wow. :ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom