Help with London Airports

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oliveu2cm

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Hey guys,

My friend is planning a trip to London this summer and needs some advice on the airports in and around London.

In particular, we need to figure out how long it would take to get from one airport to another (most likely Stansted and Gatwick) so he can see how closely he can schedule his flights into one and out from another. Neither of us really have any experience with this, so any tips you might have would be very helpful.

Airports

I think Stansted is pretty far from Gatwick...about an hour or more? Stansted is close to the Essex area already. Somebody from England correct me if I'm wrong.

Here's a website to help you: http://www.baa.co.uk/

stansted, gatwick, luton and heathrow are all about 45mins out of central london. They are all served by main railway links, with trains departing every 20 mins or so during normal hours.
Stansted and luton are to the north, heathrow to the west and gatwick to the south. It can easily take 2 hours to travel betwen airports if you need to.

If you want to check train arrival and departure times, go to railtrack

Beware stansted (were most of the low cost european carriers fly from) as the last train leaves around 23:00 in the evening and you could be stuck if your flight arrives late with no way into london other than a ?60 taxi ride.

If you need to travel from standsted to gatwick, you would need to catch one into london, then tube, then another out to Gatwick. It could easily cost ?20, and take more than 2 hours, so bear that in mind when booking flights.

to get a train to all of these individually costs about ?12, unless you get the tube to heathrow which is about ?6.

Enjoy london and europe!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom