Driving from Vegas to the Joshua Tree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dublin

The Fly
Hello, I'm trying to find the right place to post this - or find older posts about it. Does anyone have advice, tips, experiences on making the drive from Las Vegas to The Original Joshua Tree. I have the coordinates, but I'm mostly interested in the following:

-How long does the drive actually take each way?
-What opportunities are there to get gas and water along the way - or where is the point of no return?
-Does the cell service or GPS stay intact the entire drive?

Thank you kindly for any help!

it depends on which way you're going. there are more services (cell, gas, etc - your GPS should work anywhere as long as it's charged up properly) if you take I-15 to baker or barstow even and then turn north, rather than going straight across death valley from vegas. that adds about an hour to the drive but it's probably safer (less scenic tho) than back desert roads.

i've never been actually to the tree site myself but i have done that drive from vegas through the desert a few times. the best advice i can give is that if you are going through baker, make damn sure you stock up on everything while you have the chance - gas, water, food etc and make sure you have a kit in the trunk of your car to keep you safe for a night in case you get in an accident or your car breaks down. it can be a long, hot, dangerous distance between you and the nearest human if shit happens out there. be safe.

Last edited:
it depends on which way you're going. there are more services (cell, gas, etc - your GPS should work anywhere as long as it's charged up properly) if you take I-15 to baker or barstow even and then turn north, rather than going straight across death valley from vegas. that adds about an hour to the drive but it's probably safer (less scenic tho) than back desert roads.

i've never been actually to the tree site myself but i have done that drive from vegas through the desert a few times. the best advice i can give is that if you are going through baker, make damn sure you stock up on everything while you have the chance - gas, water, food etc and make sure you have a kit in the trunk of your car to keep you safe for a night in case you get in an accident or your car breaks down. it can be a long, hot, dangerous distance between you and the nearest human if shit happens out there. be safe.

One more question if I may - if you go straight through Death Valley is there a gas station you can hit on the way to have enough gas to get to the tree and then back to the gas station? Make sense?

i don't know, i've gone up highway 95 from vegas in that direction but not that far from the city, just like an hour away from the strip for a hike. i'd guess that there are one or two but probably not more than that and like i said, that's a guess.

i do know however that there are several truck stops right off I-15, as well as full service towns like primm and baker to stop and pick up anything you might need, that's why i recommend to take that direction at least one way.

Last edited:
I was just coming back to mention the one at Furnace Creek.

If you go through Baker, have lunch at Los Dos Toritos. The road up from Baker is a lovely route.

And yeah, I would only do this in May with a VERY reliable car.

Just to add to the above, from Pahrump (decent sized town, lots of gas stations) to the tree and back is about a 300 mile round trip;
most cars should be able to do at least 400 on a full tank
as others have said there are gas stations at Stovepipe Wells and Death Valley Junction
As important as gas however is water; make sure you have plenty of it;
if anything does happen that will be essential.
As always, be smart and be safe!
good luck!

It's pretty hot this time of year for people who aren't used to desert heat.

It's a fair hike from highway to tree.

Back
Top Bottom