Chicago Elevation Pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cool pics. Looks like a big crowd!

Isnt there some kind of law or something saying that two bands cant have the same name? :der: :shifty:

Sicy said:
Cool pics. Looks like a big crowd!

Isnt there some kind of law or something saying that two bands cant have the same name? :der: :shifty:

Erm...

I don't know if it's a LAW...but isn't one Elevation from CANADIA anyway?

(Yes, I know I spelled it wrong, I'm Canadian so I have the right to :tongue: :sexywink: )

...and not to be biased, but I think the USA Elevation is better, but that's only because they're my friends and I've seen them over 20 times now. :yes: :mac:

Once I get my pictures developed I'll be sure to post them...I think I have 3 from this past weekend, lol. One's of the PLEBA girls though.

~J

Well even if there were a band from Sweden named U2 I think there would be some kind of copyright issue or something.

I was just curious.

I havent heard Elevation USA play but I thought Elevation Canada was fantastic. But I think the band members (with maybe the exception of Bono) look more like U2 than USA does. :shrug:

I have seen both of them play - and they are equally good. And not to step on anyone's feet, but the US Elevation had the name wrapped up (Danno at least) back during the Elevation tour. He handed me a business card back then. TO Elevation has been around just over a year.

It is hard to really compare the two - I like em' both quite a bit.

Has anyone else seen both of them?

zonelistener said:
I have seen both of them play - and they are equally good. And not to step on anyone's feet, but the US Elevation had the name wrapped up (Danno at least) back during the Elevation tour. He handed me a business card back then. TO Elevation has been around just over a year.

It is hard to really compare the two - I like em' both quite a bit.

I first met Danno on Oct. 14, 2001 at Fado's, downtown Chicago. He said then his band's name was 'Elevation' and that was BEFORE he even had a band! lol. He printed up said business cards that night/morning and passed them out the next day in the GA line. :yes: I have a card too. :)

And if anyone is in the Chicago area, this Thursday morning from 8-9 AM, ELEVATION will be featured on WGN's morning show. It's going to be awesome!

~J

zonelistener said:

I have, and I agree both are equally good in their respective ways.

Its very hard to compare tribute bands sound wise (outside of the right notes being played etc) in these types of venues because each room is different and some bars have their own sound guy which can make a world of difference as well. Not to mention the fact that unless youre gonna spend a quarter mil or more on gear, the best you can do is get a facscimile, but it will never be bang on in terms of all the nuances of The U2 Sound.

Actually though, I must mention ZooStation here, I was quite impressed with the way they have their show mixed. It took me right into that U2 zone from a sound perspective. They also have a great energy and something very U2 about them that goes beyond the surface of looks or exact replication of songs.

Lookwise/clonewise, each band also has its merits. I would say that Elevation USAs Bono and Larry are closer to the real deal, while Elevation Toronto have good Edge and Adam lookalikes.

But again, they both put on a good show!

I respect anyone that gets up to do my favorite music!! :yes:

And if anyone is in the Chicago area, this Thursday morning from 8-9 AM, ELEVATION will be featured on WGN's morning show. It's going to be awesome!

~J [/B][/QUOTE]

The moring show performance has ben postponed due to the Mid -East situation.
No date has been set.

Walkron said:

~J

The moring show performance has ben postponed due to the Mid -East situation.
No date has been set. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting that Walkron. I forgot.

I do believe the tentative date right now is May 16th...which is a really long way off.

Also, ELEVATION will be playing this friday, March 21 at
Corrigan's Pub
3047 W. 111th St.
Chicago, IL
south side

Check the website for all their dates. www.elevationusa.com :yes:

Thanks!
~J

:edge: :adam: :bono: :larry:

:| I think you have to copywrite or register your name. So in this case... it doesn't matter who started first, it's who gets the legalities done first.

Get ready, get set, GO GET A LAWYER!! :laugh:

LOL

Angel said:
:| I think you have to copywrite or register your name. So in this case... it doesn't matter who started first, it's who gets the legalities done first.

Get ready, get set, GO GET A LAWYER!! :laugh:

I see an apperance on the People's Court in the two Elevation's future. ;)

But seriously...both bands are equally great in their own way. Like I said, I'm just partial to the US Elevation guys 'cause I happen to be friends with them. No dig to the Canadian band or anything intended. Anyone that plays U2 music is alright in my book.

But...is having the same name that big a deal anyway? I mean, as long as the two bands let people know the difference it shouldn't be that much of a problem...right? Or am I just crazy?

Thanks,
~J

Would it bother you if there was a band named U2 in New Zealand? :der:

Its not a bother.. personally I just got confused for a while because I kept hearing people talk about the band Elevation but then I kept seeing different pictures from both bands and I was like :confused: :scratch: :lol: :shrug:

I know that Bush (Gavin Rossdale)... had to change their name legally to Bush X because there was a band with that name in New Zealand or something.
They still go by Bush, but you'll see the X on their newer CD's.

Sicy said:

Its not a bother.. personally I just got confused for a while because I kept hearing people talk about the band Elevation but then I kept seeing different pictures from both bands and I was like :confused: :scratch: :lol: :shrug:

Well, they just need to make a point of saying which is which and who is who to avoid confusion is all. :)

And if another band has the name U2 it would be a blatent rip-off I think...they could get in trouble for that. But for tribute bands? I don't know....it just seems like not a big issue to me. Sorry. :shrug:

Maybe this is the point where I need to shutup...I don't want to start a big controversy.

~J

And if another band has the name U2 it would be a blatent rip-off I think...they could get in trouble for that. But for tribute bands? I don't know....it just seems like not a big issue to me. Sorry. :shrug:

I never said it was a big issue. :shrug:

I was just curious if there was some kind of rule or law or something about it.

But it sounds as if you're saying tribute bands are not as important as real bands. :tongue:

Sicy said:
Well even if there were a band from Sweden named U2 I think there would be some kind of copyright issue or something.
yeah, it's like why there's been bands called the beat uk and charlatans uk.

but i guess either neither band has tried to copyright the name, or they don't care.

Sicy said:

I never said it was a big issue. :shrug:

I was just curious if there was some kind of rule or law or something about it.

But it sounds as if you're saying tribute bands are not as important as real bands. :tongue:

Oops...no I didn't mean that you did said it was a big deal. Sorry about that. Just in my opinion it doesn't seem like it should be a legal matter. (Now I have that Who song in my head, lol)

...and tribute bands are important, but they can only go so far so to speak, compared to the real thing. If that makes sense. :sexywink:

~J

gabrielvox said:

Actually though, I must mention ZooStation here, I was quite impressed with the way they have their show mixed. It took me right into that U2 zone from a sound perspective. They also have a great energy and something very U2 about them that goes beyond the surface of looks or exact replication of songs.

Word. I saw Elevation in Cleveland. And I thought they were great. Then I saw Zoo Station the next night...

::clears throat:: Um...

Well, the ZS boys would have my ass for stirring up any kind of pissing match, so I will just quote their lead singer: Music is an art, not a competition. Monet never compared himself to Renoir, did he?

Last edited:
Sicy said:

I know there is a legal eagle or two in here...but as far as I know, neither band can claim a 'right' to the name, because it is U2's intellectual/artistic property, and you can't copyright someone else's stuff.

I think common sense would dictate that two tributes from the same city or state or whatever would probably want to avoid naming themselves the same name just out of courtesy for one another, but two bands from two different countries? It doesn't matter, really.

In actual fact I believe that worldwide there are like 4 or 5 different Elevations.

:wave: not to change the subject or anything....but thanks for the link, ron!

hey j! :hyper:...(this is laura, btw...if'n you didn't know...)...you'll have to post those pictures as soon as possible! all 3 of us forgot our cameras, otherwise we would have taken some...

the show was fun!

Stories for Boys said:
:wave: not to change the subject or anything....but thanks for the link, ron!

hey j! :hyper:...(this is laura, btw...if'n you didn't know...)...you'll have to post those pictures as soon as possible! all 3 of us forgot our cameras, otherwise we would have taken some...

the show was fun!

Hey Laura!

I have 17 pictures that I need to finish up on that roll - I'll try to get them all taken at tonight's Elevation gig.

Also - I got those tickets, I'll e-mail you with the details. But, there's 3 Elevation gigs that weekend too, hopefully you'll be able to go to at least one.

:wave:

~J

P.S. Unibrow Bono is highly disturbing - but way funny. :yes: :lol:

Edgette said:

Well, they just need to make a point of saying which is which and who is who to avoid confusion is all. :)

Maybe this is the point where I need to shutup...I don't want to start a big controversy.

I know what you mean J. Unless a band Copyrights their name, I think it's considered "open game" to whoever wants to use it. I'm sure U2 could have something to say about it but I dont think its their nature.
It's not a big deal unless someone wants to quibble over it.

:sexywink:

Last edited:
Edgette said:
Hey Laura!

I have 17 pictures that I need to finish up on that roll - I'll try to get them all taken at tonight's Elevation gig.

Also - I got those tickets, I'll e-mail you with the details. But, there's 3 Elevation gigs that weekend too, hopefully you'll be able to go to at least one.

:wave:

~J

P.S. Unibrow Bono is highly disturbing - but way funny. :yes: :lol:

:hyper: i'm so excited!! and as for the elevation gigs, we'd love to see 'em again, but we'll have to see if they'll let us ;)...talk to you soon!

:hyper:

I know this thread has gone quiet for a while but but a couple of people have asked me how come my band (Elevation Canada) has the same name as our Chicago-based colleagues and I think it would be a good idea to answer that question on a public forum that has asked that question too... the answer is that, when my bandmates (and their first bass player) were selecting a suitable name for their brand new U2 tribute project around the end of 2001, there was no indication whatsoever that any other act with that name existed in North America. Elevation USA may have selected the name before we did, Danno may have been handing out business cards with that name on to all and sundry and so on, but unfortunately they had no web presence at the time, or at least one that we could find, which is pretty much the same thing when it comes down to it, so we had no way of knowing that they had selected the name first, or that they even existed at all. If we had known, we'd almost certainly have selected something else, the last thing we would have wanted is to share a name with a more-or-less nearby competitor. There is also an Elevation in Quebec and one in the UK by the way, and probably a few others that I don't know about... And of course, as Gabe points out, none of us "own" the name, whether or not we use it on a regular basis: Elevation is the (copyrighted?) name of U2's tour of 2001. Neither of us therefore have an absolute right to use it no matter who printed the first card, played the first gig etc. Not, I have to add here, that I think it actually matters very much; neither band plays in what might be considered the "territory" of the other on anything but the most infrequent of occasions (in fact, I don't think it's happened at all to date, though of course this will change when we play in Cleveland at the Hard Rock Cafe on Saturday 14 June 2003, not it must be said that any band has a God-given right to a particular gig, wherever the gig and the band are located. The world is a big place and there are enough gigs to go round). I would personally say that there are other, more pressing issues for me (and presumably everyone else involved in each band as well) to consider than whether a tribute act in a different country, located a day's drive away, shares the same name (which is itself borrowed from someone else) is something that I need to worry about.

Regards

Mick

Hi All.
greg with Elevation USA here.
I tend to agree with Mick on this one. It's kind of pointless in this arena - we are tribute bands. If we were original bands it would be more a problem as far as legalities are concerned.
I'd like to say, I have added "USA" to my site to try to clear up some confusion. There are at least 5 elevations that I know of worlwide - and there's probably more than that now. (I can't wait for the new CD - it's an obvious choice for tribute bands to choose to name the band off a current CD / tour - this will help ease confusion with future tributes i'm sure). This is my third U2 tribute band - I started 2 others - The Unforgettable fire in '87 and Zoo Station in '97 - (gee, ya think i have some experience with this name thing?) As a U2 fan i would think it's all good - the world's a big enough place.
I'd also like to wish Exit and Elevation Canada well with their shows in Cleveland - we had a blast both nights we played there last Feb. I'm glad they will get the chance to experience this.
Cleveland does indeed Rock!
greg
ElevationUSA.com

Back
Top Bottom