Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Interference Gatherings
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2003, 06:59 PM   #16
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy
Well even if there were a band from Sweden named U2 I think there would be some kind of copyright issue or something.
yeah, it's like why there's been bands called the beat uk and charlatans uk.

but i guess either neither band has tried to copyright the name, or they don't care.

Old 03-19-2003, 07:06 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

I never said it was a big issue.

I was just curious if there was some kind of rule or law or something about it.

But it sounds as if you're saying tribute bands are not as important as real bands.

Oops...no I didn't mean that you did said it was a big deal. Sorry about that. Just in my opinion it doesn't seem like it should be a legal matter. (Now I have that Who song in my head, lol)

...and tribute bands are important, but they can only go so far so to speak, compared to the real thing. If that makes sense.

~J

Old 03-19-2003, 07:13 PM   #18
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 06:53 AM
Cool
Old 03-19-2003, 07:17 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Big Grin

Quote:
Cool

Glad we cleared that up.

Thanks,
~J
Old 03-19-2003, 09:24 PM   #20
War Child

Local Time: 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by gabrielvox

Actually though, I must mention ZooStation here, I was quite impressed with the way they have their show mixed. It took me right into that U2 zone from a sound perspective. They also have a great energy and something very U2 about them that goes beyond the surface of looks or exact replication of songs.

Word. I saw Elevation in Cleveland. And I thought they were great. Then I saw Zoo Station the next night...

::clears throat:: Um...

Well, the ZS boys would have my ass for stirring up any kind of pissing match, so I will just quote their lead singer: Music is an art, not a competition. Monet never compared himself to Renoir, did he?
Old 03-20-2003, 09:36 AM   #21
Ghost of Love

Quote:
Would it bother you if there was a band named U2 in New Zealand?

I know there is a legal eagle or two in here...but as far as I know, neither band can claim a 'right' to the name, because it is U2's intellectual/artistic property, and you can't copyright someone else's stuff.

I think common sense would dictate that two tributes from the same city or state or whatever would probably want to avoid naming themselves the same name just out of courtesy for one another, but two bands from two different countries? It doesn't matter, really.

In actual fact I believe that worldwide there are like 4 or 5 different Elevations.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you

gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 02:06 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

not to change the subject or anything....but thanks for the link, ron!

hey j! ...(this is laura, btw...if'n you didn't know...)...you'll have to post those pictures as soon as possible! all 3 of us forgot our cameras, otherwise we would have taken some...

the show was fun!
Old 03-21-2003, 01:38 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Stories for Boys
not to change the subject or anything....but thanks for the link, ron!

hey j! ...(this is laura, btw...if'n you didn't know...)...you'll have to post those pictures as soon as possible! all 3 of us forgot our cameras, otherwise we would have taken some...

the show was fun!

Hey Laura!

I have 17 pictures that I need to finish up on that roll - I'll try to get them all taken at tonight's Elevation gig.

Also - I got those tickets, I'll e-mail you with the details. But, there's 3 Elevation gigs that weekend too, hopefully you'll be able to go to at least one.

~J

P.S. Unibrow Bono is highly disturbing - but way funny.
Old 03-21-2003, 05:58 PM   #24
War Child

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Edgette
[B]

Well, they just need to make a point of saying which is which and who is who to avoid confusion is all.

And if another band has the name U2 it would be a blatent rip-off I think...they could get in trouble for that. But for tribute bands? I don't know....it just seems like not a big issue to me. Sorry.

Maybe this is the point where I need to shutup...I don't want to start a big controversy.

I know what you mean J. Unless a band Copyrights their name, I think it's considered "open game" to whoever wants to use it. I'm sure U2 could have something to say about it but I dont think its their nature.
It's not a big deal unless someone wants to quibble over it.

Old 03-22-2003, 12:26 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Edgette
Hey Laura!

I have 17 pictures that I need to finish up on that roll - I'll try to get them all taken at tonight's Elevation gig.

Also - I got those tickets, I'll e-mail you with the details. But, there's 3 Elevation gigs that weekend too, hopefully you'll be able to go to at least one.

~J

P.S. Unibrow Bono is highly disturbing - but way funny.
i'm so excited!! and as for the elevation gigs, we'd love to see 'em again, but we'll have to see if they'll let us ...talk to you soon!

Old 03-22-2003, 12:47 AM   #26
The Fly

I know they elevate me.
Old 03-22-2003, 01:03 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by gutterbrain
I know they elevate me.

Hey now....

I'm going to get "elevated" tonight in Elmhust, IL

McNally's Irish Pub
122 S. York Rd.
Elmhurst, IL 60126

~J
Old 06-03-2003, 04:12 PM   #28
The Fly

Local Time: 02:53 PM
I know this thread has gone quiet for a while but but a couple of people have asked me how come my band (Elevation Canada) has the same name as our Chicago-based colleagues and I think it would be a good idea to answer that question on a public forum that has asked that question too... the answer is that, when my bandmates (and their first bass player) were selecting a suitable name for their brand new U2 tribute project around the end of 2001, there was no indication whatsoever that any other act with that name existed in North America. Elevation USA may have selected the name before we did, Danno may have been handing out business cards with that name on to all and sundry and so on, but unfortunately they had no web presence at the time, or at least one that we could find, which is pretty much the same thing when it comes down to it, so we had no way of knowing that they had selected the name first, or that they even existed at all. If we had known, we'd almost certainly have selected something else, the last thing we would have wanted is to share a name with a more-or-less nearby competitor. There is also an Elevation in Quebec and one in the UK by the way, and probably a few others that I don't know about... And of course, as Gabe points out, none of us "own" the name, whether or not we use it on a regular basis: Elevation is the (copyrighted?) name of U2's tour of 2001. Neither of us therefore have an absolute right to use it no matter who printed the first card, played the first gig etc. Not, I have to add here, that I think it actually matters very much; neither band plays in what might be considered the "territory" of the other on anything but the most infrequent of occasions (in fact, I don't think it's happened at all to date, though of course this will change when we play in Cleveland at the Hard Rock Cafe on Saturday 14 June 2003, not it must be said that any band has a God-given right to a particular gig, wherever the gig and the band are located. The world is a big place and there are enough gigs to go round). I would personally say that there are other, more pressing issues for me (and presumably everyone else involved in each band as well) to consider than whether a tribute act in a different country, located a day's drive away, shares the same name (which is itself borrowed from someone else) is something that I need to worry about.

Regards

Mick
Old 06-03-2003, 05:03 PM   #29
The Fly

Hi All.
greg with Elevation USA here.
I tend to agree with Mick on this one. It's kind of pointless in this arena - we are tribute bands. If we were original bands it would be more a problem as far as legalities are concerned.
I'd like to say, I have added "USA" to my site to try to clear up some confusion. There are at least 5 elevations that I know of worlwide - and there's probably more than that now. (I can't wait for the new CD - it's an obvious choice for tribute bands to choose to name the band off a current CD / tour - this will help ease confusion with future tributes i'm sure). This is my third U2 tribute band - I started 2 others - The Unforgettable fire in '87 and Zoo Station in '97 - (gee, ya think i have some experience with this name thing?) As a U2 fan i would think it's all good - the world's a big enough place.
I'd also like to wish Exit and Elevation Canada well with their shows in Cleveland - we had a blast both nights we played there last Feb. I'm glad they will get the chance to experience this.
Cleveland does indeed Rock!
greg
ElevationUSA.com
Old 06-03-2003, 08:56 PM   #30
Ghost of Love

Bravo Mick!

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you

gvox is offline   Reply With Quote