Calling tomtom! India part II - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Interference Gatherings
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2000, 02:33 PM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 10:51 AM
Hey
I couldn't understand your last post,I don't know but why you're trying to be so objective, C'mon this our passion and not our jobs, somethings you should lead into directly with your heart, sometimnes one should ignore his brain.If you like U2 the thats it don't care what the fans say or for that matter of fact even what the band says.Yeah I mean,like when you're in relationship you don't evaluate at the end of the day how well it went off,all in all you're just happy that your day went like that and with that person and if it continues for a long time then obviously you're having a good time.You don't earn good times they come to you.Like when I listen to U2 I forget everything, all I know that I'm listening to my music with my heart and all the messages and meanings comes way later.Like Bad I used to listen to Bad like any other U2 song but one day it started speaking to me, so thats it all you need to do is listen if your soul enjoys it thats all forget the objectivity, if evaluating U2 would have been your job then maybe it would have been Ok but here I think you're not sounding to pleased with your writing atleast(no pun).

Coming back U2's creative peak I can't say, you've to listen to all the studio seesion, I'm just wondering that Zooropa and Unforgettable Fire sessions must have been equally interesting.Imagine the moment when U2 are jamming Bad and Eno/Lanois tapes it directly on the master, that must have been a magic or The Edge coming up with WTSHNN and all the rest of the band just improvising.But there's no denying the fact that on those Salome CD U2 had some fine moments specially during Heaven and Hell, but if you look at the bigger picture then Lady With The Spinning Head sums it all.

Somehow one way or the other I'm unable to download the songs, first the sound card problem now I don't wanna download Kite cause y'kna Napster after 66 or so percent there would be a file file transfer error and more so I don't have much time with the net left.But honestly I think I dont want to download any of the songs, cause

1)I think I let myself down when I downloaded the clips,I think there's a weakness there on my part.I think I'm a bit lose on determination there which is actually not good, so this time round I think my will power is working well which means I'm maturing as a person,Lets see!

2)My experience with mp3's is a bit sour, first the crappy radio version of the great BD,then the next version is a bit off color,now the crappiest U2 mp3 ever Always and Summer Rain.I enjoy these two songs thoroughly but with sound quality as poor as it is,It leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

3)I still can't forget the feeling I had when listening to the POP for the first time,It still is one of the best and certainly the most memorable day.I want ATYCLB to have similar feelngs,and now the excitement is making my days even more beautiful.

Lastly I don't know why Walk On is not appealing to you,I think Kite and Peace on Earth have grabbed you in such a tight way that more room would be created after some time I think thats perfectly OK.I met one of my very old chat friend/U2 enemy and he was like all praises for Walk On and Stuck.The guy is a Hard Rock wierdo,Pantera,Sepultura are his staple and considers U2 a pop band(what a loser!) but he was saying that no song in the past five years has moved him so much as Walk On did.He dowloaded those two on my recommendation.Somehow he was all praises for Stuck too,he doesn't have much of a idea bout U2's style but somehow he managed some kind words.Thats why I'm asking you, a song which a anti U2 guy likes so much then why its not appealing to you that much(as of now of course, and I'm not forcing aything).

------------------
Take This Tangle Of A Conversation And Turn It Into Your Own Prayer.

Old 11-01-2000, 07:54 AM   #17
War Child

Hey how are ya!
I hope you had a fine Diwali, mine is ruined as I still haven't got the album.I was away for a while and it seems nothimg has changed much here same hectic pace at the forum, anyways gotta go now but I'll post a regular one very soon.

cya

------------------
Take This Tangle Of A Conversation And Turn It Into Your Own Prayer.

Old 11-08-2000, 02:19 PM   #18
War Child

Ha Ha Ha It seems like I agin beat ya,,,,YES I ahve got it, once again I got it.

So this is the first thing I'm doing and dedicating my number 500 to you by telling ya the first that I've got.I's sure it must out every where else too, so my review is coming soon.

BTW Kite blew me off,I swear man,I should always take your word.Peace On Earth what can I say.....but I'll say soon

------------------
This part of the cyberspace is under reinnovation.
Old 11-09-2000, 01:25 PM   #19
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:51 AM
Dont worry buddy,Im not far behind.Today at 7,the guy from the music store called me,to tell me that as per my request he was to inform me the moment it came to the store.I had to go out with my parents to eat with some frineds who showed up from US from nowhere,so I got them to go to a restaurant just next to the store.Bloody it was killing me.This day will go down in the tomtom history.Threw my mom and dad in the car,rushed to the store,bought the album,would have stolen psoters if they had any promo stuff(they did for Best of but at the time I was not a fan!),had to eat crappy Southie food,came home,set up my sound stuff(they didnt have the CD so I had to go with tape,but who cares really),I dont even have a real tape deck,so I had to connect my Walkman to the PC speakers,and blasted BD off.Listened to the whole thing.Ahhhh.I can die in peace.I tell you its no fun sitting on a wooden chair staring at moniter listening to an album.THIS is the way to do it.I will write soon(check out the Asians section of Discotheque),and give my completely biased review,hehe.Have to go and listen now.

Tell me your story please.
Old 11-09-2000, 01:30 PM   #20
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:51 AM
AND FOR GODS SAKE PLEASE D/L THE LONDON/KROQ MP3S!THEY ARE FANTASTIC!!
Old 11-13-2000, 02:33 PM   #21
War Child

k 2 days now and after atleast 20 listens I'm ready to do my track by
tarck "review".

Beautiful Day-The song that started speaking to me a couple of weeks ago, a brlliant song and unlike anything U2 has done before.The uplifting theme of the song is my modern day anthem. 10/10

Stuck In A Moment-Eno killed this song thats all I can say.I think its
above average and has a very deep meaning to it, but all hype surrounding it makes the song mediocre, I think ppl got it wrong, Eno said it would be U2s bigest hit, not their best to date.Over all a very good song has a wonderful middle section and I think its one of my faves(But I must confess on the first listen I thought it was mediocre)
8/10

Elevation-A brilliant rocker, and when the bridge ends The Edges' guitar like firing shotgun is a little gem, but overall a very good rocker thats all, not the big,deep song, but this is as of now, surely it will change. 7/10

Walk On-A masterpiece, the reason why we all are into U2, a really big big song,I think it has Edge's best guitar work since Pride,WOWY,Streets.I want this song to be single."I know it aches...." part really gives me goosebumps and the outro is so so appealing an instant classic. 10/10

Kite- I have to say I like it, but I think this style doesn't suits U2, its a bit GNRish,Bon Jovish (BTW what I hate) but I've learned to cherish every U2 moment cause thats not gonna happen again. 8/10

In A Little While- Slow down my beating heart, amazing song really, Bono really finds a way of saying the same thing over and over again but every time it seems so fresh, most passionate U2 song since WOWY. 10/10

Wild Honey- well uummm! I don't know? I think its good, but I think summer rain is better, a great tune mind you!Hopefully it will grow soon. 6.5/10

Peace On Earth- The only song that I liked on the first listen,Its a
amazing song,I think it features some of Bono's best effort to date, a bitter sweet song of pain and ultimate way expressing frustration "A art piece" of the album. 9/10

When I Look At The World-The most underrated song of the album, a
masterpiece in every sense and lyrically the best song belongs to POP
sessions (which still is my fave U2 album).All I can say its damn good.
10/10

New York- Weakest song on the album (personally) firstly the lyrics don't appeal me and I think U2 wasted a great tune, if it would have been layered with a bit angry lyrics it could have been "the" U2 song,I think the song slows-fast a bit in a predictable fashion, hopefully it will change. 6/10

Grace- fits well for a closer and a bit understated, in a true U2 fashion the song has several hidden message, so requirea many more listens, but as of now a wonderful song, however a shade faster rhythm is what missing for classic but a very good song anyway. 7.5/10

The rating are subject to change everytime I listen to the songs, how ever ratings will only go upwards.

All in all an excelent album and could well end up as my favourite U2 album of all time, the sheer musicianship on the album masks everything else, the album lacks flow in theme but when you're listening to a particular song it has enough strenght to make you forget about the previous one.Like the band said "Stripped sown to essnece", however it has the most synths,loops as on any U2 circa electronica.A great progression towards simplicity.

overall 9/10 (after 20+ listens in 48 hrs)

Though I wrote it many days ago, some how I'm not very comfortable doing it,I'm liking it very much and I just dont wanna be so critical about it,like in case when you'll read about New York,you'll think that I'm not liking the song but as you know I very particular when evaluating things,so NY is not fitting in "my" concept of the overall embodiment of the song.

But I have to say that U2 has pulled of something special here,I just wish this album had came when ppl were expecting the "mega" album which was POP and POP today.The only reason for which is that U2 lost a lot of ground upon the fuss regarding the album and the tour,y'know what US media wrote U2 off after POPmart first leg.The nature of the music industry today compell us to judge things by numbers and I'm not sure that numerically this could be a mega album, which it deserves.I think lyrically the album is very challenging, which ppl tend ot forget amongst the simplicity,U2 lyrics at first seems to be goofy, for instance take Ultarviolet "your love was like a light bulb hanging over my head" and now I can write off the whole song but if you look in the broader context,its a great song.

Right now Walk On,In A Little While are as good as any U2 song,just dig deep into the second chorus of Walk On, when Bono goes into "I know it aches..." after this the song really finishes into epic,with the best Edge riff since Pride,the riffs after solo are just so good,really puts up a spiritual turmoil and takes over me.

------------------
Even If That Doesn't Ring True.

[This message has been edited by ishkash (edited 11-15-2000).]