aussie chat thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just discovered this thread :wink:

What am I doing up at almost 1.30 am????!! I'm trying to decide whether or not to go down to Hobart with a couple of friends in a couple weekends' time, to see a couple of gigs (Jeff Martin).

Should I go? or what?!?! *dilemma*

:ohmy:

Are you sure you should be asking me for advice? I mean, I'm the guy who saw U2 10 times in 3 countries, and is now going to every Porcupine Tree gig in Australia. Of course I'm going to say "GO!"

And did you see what we did to the poor Pop Survivor thread before establishing this madness here?

Axver said:
Are you sure you should be asking me for advice? I mean, I'm the guy who saw U2 10 times in 3 countries, and is now going to every Porcupine Tree gig in Australia. Of course I'm going to say "GO!"

I KNOOOOOOOOW ... and I usually don't hesitate on these mad trips away .... I'm just worried money wise ... but I know if I don't go I will sadly regret it!!!

Why can't airfares to Hobart be $30 or somethin'!!!!!!! :sad:

Oh, and the answer to this:

TranceEnding said:
What am I doing up at almost 1.30 am????!!

You're up on Interference being cool with the cool people. Sleep is for the weak and decidedly uncool. Like Varitek, who chickened out on our insane postwhoring far too early. I hope she sees this.

TranceEnding said:
I KNOOOOOOOOW ... and I usually don't hesitate on these mad trips away .... I'm just worried money wise ... but I know if I don't go I will sadly regret it!!!

Why can't airfares to Hobart be $30 or somethin'!!!!!!! :sad:

I'd tell you to see if Tiger Airways has a special, but I'd actually like you to survive the flight, so I won't.

What's the ferry like, cost and practicality wise? Might be an option?

Also, can I just say I'm very proud to be the only person present in every phase of the postwhoring? Right from the first page of Pop Survivor to now.

... wait, maybe that's not a good thing.

Ah, to hell with it, I was only going to waste today watching cricket anyway.

Hey Melissa :D

*isn't still up*

Go to Hobart! Regrets suck. :yes:

The ferry was fun, if time-consuming... no idea how much it cost. Hope you get good weather and don't have issues with sleeping when everything is moving ever so slightly. I never noticed it till I went to bed (bunk?). Was interesting.

We decided at work that Tiger's planes are made of balsa wood. Therefore if you ditch into Bass Strait, it'll all float. No worries! :D

Alisaura said:
Hey Melissa :D

*isn't still up*

:lol:

The ferry was fun, if time-consuming... no idea how much it cost. Hope you get good weather and don't have issues with sleeping when everything is moving ever so slightly. I never noticed it till I went to bed (bunk?). Was interesting.

Wow, the ferry trip is that long? I thought it'd be like the Interislander in New Zealand, 3 or so hours from Wellington across Cook Strait to Picton. It's a proper voyage with bunks and everything?

We decided at work that Tiger's planes are made of balsa wood. Therefore if you ditch into Bass Straight, it'll all float. No worries! :D

:lmao: Though you may be in trouble if it disintegrates over some rugged part of Tassie ...

Axver said:

I'd tell you to see if Tiger Airways has a special, but I'd actually like you to survive the flight, so I won't.

:ohmy: :laugh: I actually thought of Tiger ... and then I thought .. ummmmm .. NO! I have trouble even getting on Jetstar! Though, they are the cheapest at the moment. Oh nooo .. what to do?

I thought about going to Launceston, which is a little bit cheaper .. but then I'd have to pay for transport to Hobart by bus, so I figure it would roughly cost the same in any case.

I've been thinking about this ALL day at work, and it's starting to drive me insane :wink: I found out one of my Jeff fan-pals is heading down for his shows yesterday and I thought, I WANNA GO TOO! And then another friend rang me tonight saying we should go together! So it must be sign! All the planets are aligning :wink: I think I'd better go .. the question is, will my credit card self-destruct if I charge anything else to it :wink:

Oh God, Jetstar. What's worse, eh? I loved that Chaser skit where they offered people seats up the back of the plane, using the front as a "crumple zone" in case of an accident.

See, you're going to regret it if you don't go. I'm not going to talk you out of doing it. :wink:

Axver said:
Wow, the ferry trip is that long? I thought it'd be like the Interislander in New Zealand, 3 or so hours from Wellington across Cook Strait to Picton. It's a proper voyage with bunks and everything?

:lmao: Though you may be in trouble if it disintegrates over some rugged part of Tassie ...
I think it takes about 8 hours to get from Melb to Launceston on the ferry... we happened to leave Melbourne in the evening, so we got to sleep in a cabin and stuff. There are probably ones that leave in the morning so you get to spend 8 hours staring at the ocean instead...

Disintegrating over rugged Tasmania = one of those plane crash films involving cannibalism...

Maybe you're better off with Virgin :D They can't be that expensive for a short hop...

And on that note, I really do need sleep. :wave:

(PS: Of course your card won't self-destruct! Your bank will merely offer you one with a bigger limit... :uhoh: )

(Also, if you hire a car, do not drive through the middle of Hobart if you can avoid it. It's a maze of one-way roads that no mortal can fathom at short notice. :crazy: )

:D

OK .. so maybe I should just book the concert tickets and a couple night accommodation at a backpackers ... and leave the airfares until payday :wink:

Wish me luck!

ps .. I've been on the ferry to Tassie a couple times and I don't wanna do it again :no: Those cramped little cabins freak me out!

Alisaura said:

I think it takes about 8 hours to get from Melb to Launceston on the ferry... we happened to leave Melbourne in the evening, so we got to sleep in a cabin and stuff. There are probably ones that leave in the morning so you get to spend 8 hours staring at the ocean instead...

Wow, really? I wouldn't have guessed that it's such a long voyage. Has nobody tried to introduce a fast ferry? For a few years there, they had those on the Cook Strait route in NZ and they'd do the crossing in about 1.5 hours. It was great.

Disintegrating over rugged Tasmania = one of those plane crash films involving cannibalism...

Alisaura said:
(Also, if you hire a car, do not drive through the middle of Hobart if you can avoid it. It's a maze of one-way roads that no mortal can fathom at short notice. :crazy: )

Sounds like Wellington ... funny, a lot of Tassie sounds like New Zealand really ... conspiracy? :hmm:

TranceEnding said:
OK .. so maybe I should just book the concert tickets and a couple night accommodation at a backpackers ... and leave the airfares until payday :wink:

This sounds like the makings of a good plan!

:D Ok ... well, the tickets are done!!!!! :hyper: I'll book the accommodation tomorrow ... I'm really knackered - all that excitement!

Neeeeed sleeeeeeeep ... goodnight Ax! I'll see if I can chat some more tomorrow :D

Awesome, glad you're doing it! :up:

I should probably turn in too. Before I go, post stats for this thread, updated manually to include this post of mine:

Total Posts: 409
User Posts
Axver 122
Alisaura 85
mysterious_jen 81
coolian2 63
the tourist 49
TranceEnding 9

I love how just six of us have managed to do all of this! And then there was the preceding insanity of the the 989 posts before we bailed on the Pop Survivor thread. Incidentally, in that one, Tourist had 220 posts and I had 200, but the cumulative total is Tourist 269 (2 ... 69; suits the susspot!) and 322 for me, so:

TOURIST = PWND

:dance: :dance:

I do believe that thread desceneded quite literally into the toilet once the lady left the room....typical. (horrified, I keep clicking on the next page)

Varitek said:

Aussie chat thread? pshhhht , I am offended. And now I have to cut and paste all my responses into here.

But probably a good call.

Hey, we said you can be an honorary Southern Hemispherean!

coolian2 said:

I tend to do that when i've not had enough sleep.

That magical time where i can't even be fucked closing the lid of my laptop.

Nobody can survive on that little sleep. I find myself drifting off on the bus when i sleep for 8 hours. At least i believe in the ability to catch up on sleep.

I leave the laptop on most of the time, and it doesn't turn off when I close the lid, which might contribute to how hot it runs/how frequently the fan breaks. Though I was up for a little after to do a small, small amount of reading, mostly for the purpose of putting me to sleep.

As for me, I can run on very little sleep, but not as well - but I am both a high functioning drunk and a high functioning insomniac. And you can sooooo catch up on sleep, I do it once a week or so.

Varitek said:
I do believe that thread desceneded quite literally into the toilet once the lady left the room....typical. (horrified, I keep clicking on the next page)

So I take it you found tourist's guitar innuendo? :laugh:

wow, go me, way to not remember that class was cancelled :bang: I coudl have used that extra hour...

well no I have coffee and you have 55 minutes of my undivided attention as I try to read through this thread.

oh, nad it snowed like 4 inches. it's kind of nice.

damn it i can never remember the code for that damn banging your head agianst a wall smiley.

and yes, I didn't mind the innuendo so much as the graphic bathroom discussions.

:lol: Nice going there.

I really should be getting some sleep ... I'm even beginning to feel tired. Let's see. My virus scanner is going to start in seven minutes and make my computer slow as hell.

Or maybe I should just entirely stay up, collapse into bed tomorrow evening, and try to restore my sleeping habits! I could pull a Varitek!

the tourist said:

Actually, it started out as being based somewhat on Mothers of the Disappeared. Given how I don't really like the song, that's kind of odd. But it's about a cultish mass kidnapping of children. That's just the quickie overall synopsis. Of course there are tons of subplots.

COBL_04 said:
Thanks Axver.

I was half thinking of writing a short story inspired by RTSS... about someone who hated life and found happiness through taking Heroin... I might do it.

This is fucking hilarious because I asked LemonMelon about mining towns because I'm writing a novel set in a mining town inspired by....you'll never guess what!

the tourist said:

I really do need to work on my story more. Especially since I'm currently taking a "writing fiction" class. The professor reads bits of each of our stories aloud and then the class critiques it. The author is the only one not allowed to talk until the end. Mine was the only one everyone in the class unanymously loved. :angel:

I'm in a writer's workshop class too, but we have to email our stories out to be read in advance. Everyone loved the first few chapters of my story, which I have titled Hanging On so as not to reference U2 too directly.

Varitek said:
damn it i can never remember the code for that damn banging your head agianst a wall smiley.

and yes, I didn't mind the innuendo so much as the graphic bathroom discussions.

It's : banghead : without the spaces. :banghead: See?

The bathroom discussion is, I suspect, best left forgotten. I blame Danny and Tourist entirely for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom