any U2 fans in Alabama??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

azure

Babyface
Hey, I'm from Birmingham, Alabama, and this is the Rock 'N Roll Desert From Hell. Is anyone else around here from Birmingham or adjacent areas? If so, hey, let's meet! I'll be able to discuss U2 with a local! I've never been able to do this, and good grief, I've been a U2 fan for 17 years!

Proof the Tiger kicks the X's a**:

I've been listening for ONLY two hours while fooling around on the computer, and the Tiger's played TWO U2 songs:

New Year's Day
Who's Gonna Ride... (album version)

When's the last time the X played ANYTHING from Achtung Baby?

God bless Auburn.
smile.gif

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

WHAT'S UP!!!

I'm from Birmingham, too! I'm a senior at Auburn (and I'm at school most of the time), but I still live in Centerpoint, and I couldn't agree more: the Birmingham music scene is pathetic.

(The Tiger, a radio station in Auburn, wipes the floor with the X. They actually play U2, they play old songs -- including non-singles like "Until the End of the World" -- and they have a much better variety overall.)

So, you've been a fan for 17 years. Damn. I have an old cassette of the Joshua Tree from way back, but I didn't really become a fan until '93 (I just got turned on to MTV, and they actually played videos, including "Wild Horses", "Numb", "Lemon", and "Stay").

And I didn't become a fanatic until "Discotheque", but I've made up for lost time.

Anyway, finding other fanatics is tough. Most of the kids in my dorm have one or two MP3s, and one or two guys have a few CDs. But none of them like the band enough to visit this site or obsess over singles.

So, it's good to see another U2 fanatic from Birmingham.

What part of B'ham are you from? And have you seen any good U2 shows?

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

I saw the Conspiracy of Hope tour in '86, the JT tour in '87, and ZooTV in 1992--all in Atlanta. All three shows were absolutely phenomonal. Wow, that Auburn station sounds like it's really cool. I can't find a station in Birmingham that plays U2--much. I don't think there's that much demand for it.
Damn.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Wow. It sounds like you've been to some great shows. I've only been to the Atlanta POPMart show, and it was a blast (and the first time they've played "40" in 9 years, or so I've been told).

Did you not go to any POP shows? If you didn't, you missed a good tour. I've seen the video for the ZooTV show in Sydney, and it looked like it was a better tour for the particular albums, but I thought POPMart better represented the entire U2 catalog.

Anyway... yep, Birmingham radio is apparently ignoring U2, which is surprising. I would have figured Classic Rock 99.5 would start playing older U2 by now, or that Rock 97.3 would be playing some recent U2, considering how much I hear them play Creed whenever I'm home. And the X just doesn't have any sense of history.

I (barely) remember the Bear. THAT was a good radio station.

(And the Tiger played ANOTHER U2 song yesterday in the 10 minutes it took to get from my church to my dorm -- "Desire"!)

Like I said, I'm a senior at Auburn, studying computer science and spending the summer working for the department. What do you do for a living?

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

Back
Top Bottom