Annual Joshua Tree road trip in January. (Gathering) Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta feed the chickens! :D

Ok it might be more like 5 hours then from San Diego... guess I forgot how fast we actually drove :shifty:

Sounds like a pretty good start. Hopefully more can go. Sounds like you had great fun last year. I'm looking forward to this trip to the tree.

Wonder is Chas is going? Thought he said he was interested. I will have to ask. Or - HEY CHAS, you reading this? You going!?

:up::up::up:

So far:

zooey
Carlos
Ethan
Dev
Edge_Orchestra
Nic
comet (& family)

:wave: add yourselfses pleez

Since we're going to be traveling much further than last time, we should probably meet for breakfast as early as possible and just get an earlier start in general. Mel's opens at 6 if we want to meet there again. We could probably be on the road by 7 or 7:30 in that case.

Chas is indeed "The Chedge". He's a scholar, a gentleman and a judge of fine whiskey.

Well, that's good enough for me!

Wait, is he a judge of fine whiskey or a fine judge of whiskey?

Since we're going to be traveling much further than last time, we should probably meet for breakfast as early as possible and just get an earlier start in general. Mel's opens at 6 if we want to meet there again. We could probably be on the road by 7 or 7:30 in that case.

Are we all doing this whole big loop thru DV? I'm not driving so I"m just along for the ride. I guess it's up to whomever is doing the actual driving.

I'm doing the loop. :wave:

I'll meet at whatever time you guys want at Mels. It's going to be an early morning for me though coming from San Diego :uhoh: But it will be worth it! :)

uh... are we going through it? :hmm: Is it on the same road we'll be on? I was just looking at those Anton Corbijn photos from Death Valley Junction today and wondering about this. You read my mind :ohmy:

edit: This is the one I was looking at. I think I remember it being discussed around here at one time about which/if any of the things in the background of these photos are still there.

U2DeathValleyJunction.jpg

Yeah. I was tired last night, so my post was confusing. Sorry. The 190 and the 127 meet at Death Valley Junction (sort of). I was there a couple of years ago and that tower was still there. It's in a yard that was chained off, but I got a few pics. I'm not sure where they are; I'll try to look for them this evening.

There weren't any earnestly goofy, yet somehow cute, guys there when I was there, though. :sad:

Maybe we should do a vote. Who's in for doing the whole loop (the Joshua Tree to Death Valley to Zabriskie Point)?

*raises hand wildly*.....me, me, me :hyper:

and if the vote is for not, that's cool too. Question...I know it's a long drive so if it's a long, super late day Saturday, is there somewhere to crash for the night and head back sunday morning?

And I have no compass
And I have no map
And I have no reasons
No reasons to get back

:heart:

(well at least I don't have to get back til Monday morning....reality)

Okay, the newbie has a question. With all of the stops we're making does anyone have a rough idea of our itinerary or when we’re going to get back?

I have a work related event all day on Sunday and I'm trying to figure out how wasted I'm going to be after Saturday.

I'm guessing we won't stay as long at the tree as we did last time since there is more ground to cover, but from meeting at the diner for breakfast to getting home after dinner, it was about a 12-hour day last year.

zooey what time do you need to be back home? :shifty:

I haven't made my flight arrangements yet :reject: I still can't figure out where I'm staying - I hate making people pick me up / drop me off / drive me around so I'm trying to make sure it's easiest on everyone and I really want to try to at least see (if I"m not staying with her) my friend who lives in Ontario/Chino. :gah: I was freaking out a little this weekend and usually Mr. Z is really good a saying "Why don't you just do this?" and making it all work but he had no suggestions! :angry:

Maybe I'll call you this week and we can chat.

^ Which means it will most likely be a longer (than 12 hr) day than last time with the added hours traveling to ZP, and enjoying that spot a bit. but yeah we probably will spend less time at the tree, but we'll still stay plenty long enough for those that haven't been before.

Thank you martha for your info, you've been very helpful :hug: I'm sorry you didn't happen to catch those "earnestly goofy" guys. :giggle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom