Annual Joshua Tree road trip in January. (Gathering) Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol: weren't you guys paying attention? :eyebrow:

If I go again, this will be my 3rd time so I REALLY want to continue on that road this time round to Death Valley and see Zabriskie Pt. Probably making the loop and heading home that way too... Is anyone else thinking of doing this too? :hmm:

:cute:

I'm going to try to get it figured out soon. We do have this little U2 tour thing coming up in June too... :hmm:

Hey everyone. Zooey just pointed this Gathering out to me. I'm in if the dates work. I've quickly scanned over this thread. Are there dates out there we're talking about?

Saturday is the 27th. :)

Ok we have decided that we are definitely going to be in unless something unforseen at Charlies work (not a good time for him to take off) keeps him here. And in that case me and the kids may still go anyways :shifty:

Our plan is to continue on the 190 after seeing the tree, into Death Valley to Zabriskie Pt. We estimate maybe 2 hours (?) to get there, but don't know, maybe someone who's been can tell us. Also probably a pit stop first so maybe a little longer. From there we'll head home by way of the 127. (A road that just last month we traveled returning from Reno and swore we'd never travel again :scream: ) :lol: oh well.

Anyways... that's our plan. If anyone wants to do the same then :applaud: We'll meet everyone for breakfast like last time. Are you thinking of going to the same place to make it easier? Remind me what/where that was again :hmm:

Sat. Feb 26th (or is the 27th?) Hope you can make it :hyper:

Saturday is the 27th. :)

Ok we have decided that we are definitely going to be in unless something unforseen at Charlies work (not a good time for him to take off) keeps him here. And in that case me and the kids may still go anyways :shifty:

Our plan is to continue on the 190 after seeing the tree, into Death Valley to Zabriskie Pt. We estimate maybe 2 hours (?) to get there, but don't know, maybe someone who's been can tell us. Also probably a pit stop first so maybe a little longer. From there we'll head home by way of the 127. (A road that just last month we traveled returning from Reno and swore we'd never travel again :scream: ) :lol: oh well.

Anyways... that's our plan. If anyone wants to do the same then :applaud: We'll meet everyone for breakfast like last time. Are you thinking of going to the same place to make it easier? Remind me what/where that was again :hmm:

Thanks for the correction. Clearly, I'm too lazy to look at a calendar :rolleyes:

I didn't realize Zabriskie Pt. was so far from the tree. But I'm so glad you guys have decided to come! I don't think I got a chance to meet your daugher (s?) at the Rose Bowl so that'll be fun.

Why is 127 so bad?

Oh, and :hyper:

It's not so bad I guess, unless you had just come all the way down from Reno thru 5 foot snow (i may or may not be exaggerating) for the last 12 hours... by the time we reached the 127 we were shot and it just seems to go on 4 ever and ever thru the middle of nowhere :lol: I think my memory of it is biased so don't listen to me!

Zab. Pt is on the complete other side of Death Valley so we'll need to travel across the entire park to get there, which I have not done since I was a kid so I really don't know how long it will take and we were just guessing. We figure we should stop at a pit stop when we first get into the park too since we'll be coming in from being at the tree for awhile.

That's weird that you missed my daughters at the shows! They were at both Vegas and Pasadena, are big U2 fans and this will be their 2nd trip to the tree so they are excited.

Is your son still coming along? Or you and the hubby?

Yes :hyper:

I think I'll be solo. My son would have a good time but for the long car trip - he's only 6. So he's going to his grandparents' house and Mr.Z will have a night to himself before he goes to pick the little one up.

It might take a bit longer than 2 hours to get to Zabriskie Point from the Tree. While the road into DV is one of the loveliest in the country, it's one of those that looks shorter than it is. :) Your only pit stop will either be Panamint Springs, which is fine for a burger and a pee, or Stovepipe Wells, where you'll need to pay your 20 clams to get into the park. By the time you get to Furnace Creek, you'll have already peed.

It'll be a VERY long day to do all this, but it will be lovely.

Thanks Martha, that's exactly the info I needed :wave: I had a feeling it might be longer too, the map I had was pretty general and I wasn't able to figure the road so easily. Another question if you don't mind... is the famous U2 view (the album cover) one that is easily spotted, like at a marked scenic view area? Or was it just a random spot on the road the guys stopped and walked around and found. Thanks for your help!

Hell to the mutha effen yes!! A chance to have a part deux of our Night in Vegas adventure?? I'm there!

I'm scheduled to work on the 27th but I'll work on that. I'm pretty sure I'm in if you guys will let the newby join you.

:applaud: Woohoo! I'm a newbie going to this too :) No doubt with this crowd it will be an epic time! They are the BEST! :hug:

So far:

zooey
Carlos
Ethan
Dev
Edge_Orchestra
Nic
comet (& family)

:wave: add yourselfses pleez

So glad to see you can make it bc! I think I'm up for the drive ZP too.

Oh no. It's AT Zabriskie Point. You'll walk up from the parking lot, look to your right and say out loud: "Holy shit! This is the place!" It's a well-marked scenic point. :yes:

haha! :hyper:

soooooo......

zooey
Carlos
Ethan
Dev
Edge_Orchestra
Nic
comet (& family)
outsider
jmath

:hyper:

Okay, I feel like an idiot. I thought this tree was in Joshua Tree NP. Totally blown away by that. I'm kind of ashamed I didn't know that.

So is the tree atually in Death Valley NP or is it on the way in?

I totally am a newbie......

Okay, I feel like an idiot. I thought this tree was in Joshua Tree NP. Totally blown away by that. I'm kind of ashamed I didn't know that.

So is the tree atually in Death Valley NP or is it on the way in?

I totally am a newbie......

It's ok, lots of people think that at first, and no one posts exact directions to the tree on line so it stays a bit of a mystery ;)
It is near DV yes. I really want to also return to JT National Park too some time. It's gorgeous there, like a landscape from another planet. :drool:

Thanks Comet. I love the desert landscape also. This should be a fun trip.

Do you know how long of a trip it is from Socal? 3 - 4 hours?

Thanks Comet. I love the desert landscape also. This should be a fun trip.

Do you know how long of a trip it is from Socal? 3 - 4 hours?

From San Diego it's about 6 hours (with pit stops). I can't remember how long it took us last time we all went and left from breakfast in Ontario. Anyone remember? :hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom