Annual Joshua Tree road trip in January. (Gathering) Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bowl.jpg

I'll look at flights, which will be easier with Owen, but we might just drive to save $$. Of course, if I can work it so that he stays with his grandparents, then I could do either without a problem!

Do y'all think it would be easiest if I/we stayed in/near Chino/Ontario?

I think so (and not just saying that because it means you'd be in my backyard :D )

IMHO, I think it'd be easiest if you stayed here:

harmony-motel-sign.jpg

:hmm:

I tried to convince Mr.Z to stay here on our way back last time but it's was about 80 miles (and 2-3 hours) out of the way. But I"ll look into it this time. Can someone remind me where (approximately) we're going so I can look up things in relation to each other.

Are we going out to the tree again or Zab... Point? Or both? And what exactly happened at Z Pt.? :reject:

I went there once.

They wouldn't let me into the lobby without being a guest.

:angry:

What?? Seriously? It's kinda funny tho since the lobby is like 2 feet by 3 feet :giggle: I mean if you just walked in to just say you want info on the place, you'll have seen it! Anyways... that's pretty strange.

I stayed there for a couple days and really enjoyed it, so quiet, peaceful... it was a nice getaway from work :)

So... the actual day that's been decided on to visit the tree is Sat. Feb. 27, 2010... right? :hmm:

:hmm:

I tried to convince Mr.Z to stay here on our way back last time but it's was about 80 miles (and 2-3 hours) out of the way. But I"ll look into it this time. Can someone remind me where (approximately) we're going so I can look up things in relation to each other.

Are we going out to the tree again or Zab... Point? Or both? And what exactly happened at Z Pt.? :reject:

Z Point is the spot that the cover of The Joshua Tree was shot. I'd like to go there, since I haven't been in recent memory, I think I was there when I was a little kid, I don't think it's too far from the tree is it?

I mean if you just walked in to just say you want info on the place, you'll have seen it! Anyways... that's pretty strange.

As I was getting out of my car the owner or manager came out and asked if she could help me. I said I just wanted to get some pics of the hotel and asked if it was ok to see the lobby. She asked if I was staying at the hotel or planning to book a room and when I said no, she told me I couldn't go in unless I was planning on staying. I thought it was reasonable enough. I only wanted pics of the sign anyway and I got plenty of those.

:)

Coming in from the tree you have to drive almost the entire length of the scenic byway (190) through Death Valley to get to Zabriskie Point.

What?? Seriously? It's kinda funny tho since the lobby is like 2 feet by 3 feet :giggle: I mean if you just walked in to just say you want info on the place, you'll have seen it! Anyways... that's pretty strange.

I stayed there for a couple days and really enjoyed it, so quiet, peaceful... it was a nice getaway from work :)

So... the actual day that's been decided on to visit the tree is Sat. Feb. 27, 2010... right? :hmm:

If that works for everyone, yeah. Since I'll have to travel back on Sunday the 28th.

As I was getting out of my car the owner or manager came out and asked if she could help me. I said I just wanted to get some pics of the hotel and asked if it was ok to see the lobby. She asked if I was staying at the hotel or planning to book a room and when I said no, she told me I couldn't go in unless I was planning on staying. I thought it was reasonable enough. I only wanted pics of the sign anyway and I got plenty of those.

Coming in from the tree you have to drive almost the entire length of the scenic byway (190) through Death Valley to get to Zabriskie Point.

Wow, that seems really strange though still to not even allow you inside :huh: The fact that they do have it decorated in U2 memorabilia shows they are proud of the history so I think that was pretty weird for them not to allow you in. Huh.

Thanks for the Zabriskie Point info. I do want to try to go by there this time.

I'll call my friend and see if I can stay with her in Chino. If not, we'll just get a cheap hotel near the airport and maybe someone can pick us up in the a.m. :wink:.

So in talking things over with Mr.Z we think I can actually make the trip alone if I don't come out til Friday and come home on Sunday, which will work just fine and save me beaucoup $$ on a flight for the little one. :up: I'll either stay with Michelle or at a hotel near the Ontario airport (or on someone's couch :wink: )

Last year we met at Mel's Diner in Ontario around 8:15. We had breakfast, stopped off for some gas and essentials (Red Vines and Cheetos) and then we were off. Made a couple potty stops along the way, a stop for some fresh jerky and so Cecy and Dorene could feed the chickens, and then we went to the tree. Stayed for about 2 1/2 hours (if I remember correct) and then headed home. Our caravan parted ways and, the car I was in, went back to Ontario and its four passengers all had dinner at Chevy's. Then we each went on our exhausted, satiated, sleepy, but content way home.

So who's coming?

Me
Carlos
Ethan
Dev
Edge_Orchestra
Nic
Comet - are you coming?

Anyone else?? Outsider? Carek?

I think we're still up in the air on this one. :hmm: We definitely want to, but we need to see if we can work it out... just have a lot going on :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom