Annual Joshua Tree road trip in January. (Gathering) Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So according to this thread, the only ppl in the Zooey's Party Bus are
1) FitzChivalry
2) Edge-Orchestra
3) Nic
4) Carlos
5) Dev
6) and ME

Jmath isn't sure he can do the whole ZP thing since he has an early golf game in San Diego the next morning :|

I'll PM BF1, Outsider and Cleasi before I make the final arrangements, cuz if it's just 6 of us, I can get a min-van and it might be a little bit cheaper and easier to drive.

So, Carlos and Nic are out :sad: Outsider is in :up:. Still haven't heard for sure from Cleasai, Jmath and Cecy + Dorene. I'll PM them again.

1) me
2) Ethan
3) Dev
4) Edge_O
5) Outsider

Maybe:
6) Cleasai
7) Cecy
8) Dorene
9) Jmath

Providing Own Transport (and navigation)
9+) Comet and family

Is this right?

Of course if it's only the 5 of us, I"ll just get a mid-sized car and save some $$.

Of course if it's only the 5 of us, I"ll just get a mid-sized car and save some $$.

Zooey, unless you need it for your own personal use, if there's only 5 of us, there's no need to rent a car. I have a Nissan Altima, which is a mid-sized car. Unless people want something a bit bigger than a mid-sized, to be able to spread out in; it is going to be a long day of driving after all.

It's up to you guys. I'm just putting it out there.

i thought about that but since Nic isn't going I may need a car to get around with since my friend may be working Saturday morning/night. I'll keep you posted. And if BF1 and/or Jmath and/or Dorene and/or Cleasai join us we'll need the extra room.

Party Bus Updated
1) me
2) Ethan
3) Dev
4) Edge_O
5) Outsider
6)Cleasai

Maybe:
7) Cecy
8) Dorene
9) Jmath

Providing Own Transport (and navigation)
10+) Comet and family

Hi everyone!
I was wanting to get in on the trip out to the JT - Can I get some details on what the plan is and the carpooling/caravan stuff?
Thanks!:wave:

Welcome, onechristie. :)

The trip is planned for Saturday, February 27th. The group is meeting at Mel's Diner in Rancho Cucamonga, CA at 8:00 a.m. From there we will caravan out to Death Valley where the joshua tree is. (In case you didn't already know, the tree is no longer standing and lies on the ground -- but it is still an amazing sight.) After visiting the tree, we are going to continue on to Zabrinske Point (where the actual cover photo of The Joshua Tree album was taken). We may make a couple stops along the way if we see some of the photography sites where Anton shot many of The Joshua Tree promo pictures.

After Zabrinske Point, we will part ways and all head-on home. zuropa_fit is renting a van (approximately $21 per person) so that about 8 of us can fit into one vehicle. When the day is done, zuropa_fit will drive all those in the van back to where we all leave our individual vehicles at the Ontario Mills Mall.

Most of the group did almost this exact same trip one year ago, so you can feel confident that we know where we're going and what we're doing. And just like last year, it is going to be a very long day, so if you do go, plan on not getting back home until very late at night.

Here's the info for Mel's Diner:

melsdrive-in.com

11550 Fourth Street
Rancho Cucamonga, California

Ontario, known as the Gateway to Southern California, is home to the first “Next Generation” Mel’s Drive-in to be built from the ground up. This Inland Empire Mel’s is one of hundreds of attractions at Ontario Mills, the largest shopping center in Southern California and one of the largest in North America. Ontario Mills is a haven for movie lovers, who can chose from a vast selection of films at the AMC 30 Theatres and Edwards Ontario Palace Stadium 22 & IMAX multiplexes. Whether you’ve just landed at LA/Ontario International Airport or are coming from the world class Ontario Convention Center, you will find a satisfying meal waiting for you at Mel’s.

To-Go: (909) 484 - 9100
Sunday - Thursday: 6 AM - 11 PM
Friday - Saturday: 6 AM - 1 AM
Click for driving directions from:
11550 Fourth Street Rancho Cucamonga California 91731 - Google Maps

Welcome, Christie. I just sent you a PM saying basically the same thing Fitz did but he was much more detailed and clear :lol:

I'm still waiting to make the car reservation until I hear from Cecy and Dorene - I think a 6 person van is cheaper than an 8+ person van. Actually, I don't know if they do something that holds more than 8, so someone else may have to drive anyway (Ethan, Christie, Jmath???)... we'll see what happens this week. I'll try to finalize things by this weekend.

8 more workdays until I'm on vacation :hyper:

I see mtnfox lurking in here too :shifty:

Yeah, I've been checking in on this thread periodically to live vicariously through you guys. :shifty:

Thought I might be able to swing it but it ain't gonna happen. :| Please drive safe, have fun, and beep the horn or throw out a wave or two to your right about 5 miles after you get on 395. :wave:

Our family goes camping in Death Valley every November - I love it. We did our Christmas card pic at Zabriskie Point this year. Even though I go backpacking and camping in the Sierras several times a year I've never been to the tree, although I generally know where it is. I think I may take the family camping over spring break and pay a visit. :hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom