Angel Alert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sherry Darling

New Yorker
So...two things.

1. I'm thinking of trying to set up a meeting with one of our Reps in VA. Any VA angels up for it?

2. Any ideas on how we could get more people on board? Other places I might contact? Do any of you have friends/family who might send a letter?

3. What do you all think of Ali's campaign to shut down Sellafield? Think we could pull it off? Get people to send the WH or Congress or O'Neill postcards? I wonder how that would even start.... (LOL Sherry lady loco)

I'm also thinking of setting up shop an afternoon or two at campus (GMU in Fairfax) with a table and copies of my letter. Will you all bail me out if I get arrested? ;)

Anyway, just thinking....

SD

Also just got this from Jubilee USA. NICE NEWS! :) Please call if you're in the states listed below!

(Should I post this in Free Your mind, too??)

Jubilee USA Action Alert--Update on Debt Legislation
-----------------------------------------------------

Watch your mailboxes for the next Jubilee newsletter with updates on all
aspects of our work for complete debt cancellation, including the
illegitimate debt project, report-back from the G8 and plans for a massive
mobilization for the World Bank and IMF Fall meetings.

DEBT LEGISLATION HAS PASSED THE SENATE - NOW, HELP US WIN IN THE HOUSE!

**WE NEED YOUR HELP NOW MORE THAN EVER**

In April, companion bills were introduced in the House and Senate that, if
passed, would provide deeper debt relief by cutting an additional $1 billion
in debt service. These bills, the Debt Relief Enhancement Act of 2002 (HR
4524 and S 2210), have solid bipartisan support.

For the Jubilee USA Network position on the legislation, please visit:
http://www.jubileeusa.org/jubilee.cgi?path=/take_action&page=New_Debt_Legisl
ation.html

In the last few weeks, significant progress has been made in both the Senate
and the House. The Senate version was incorporated into S. 2525 ?The United
States Leadership Against HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria Act of 2002.?
This bill, sponsored by Sens. Kerry and Frist, unanimously passed the Senate
on July 12. However, the language is not as strong and binding as we want.
This means that we need to work even harder to get support in the House of
Representatives.

Rep. Smith has requested a mark-up of his bill before the House
International Relations Committee. While no date has been set, this is a
strong step forward. In addition, the
bill is continuing to attract co-sponsors from both parties.

**Because of this request, Jubilee USA has expanded its list of target
congressional districts. A list of these names follows. If you live in
these districts or know someone who does, please take action now!

We need you to write letters and make phone calls to these Representatives
to urge them to co-sponsor HR 4524. District visits are needed now more
than ever! Congress is in recess the entire month of August - this is a
perfect time to set up a meeting with your Representative in the district
office.

Arizona
----------
Flake (1-AZ)
Kolbe (5-AZ)

California
------------
Bono (44-CA)
Gallegly (23-CA)
Horn (38-CA)
Rohrabacher (45-CA)
Royce (39-CA)

Colorado
---------
Schaffer (4-CO)
Tancredo (6-CO)

Delaware
----------
Castle (At large-DE)

Florida
---------
Ros-Lehitnen (18-FL)

Illinois
----------
Biggert (13-IL)
Hastert (14-IL)
Hyde (6-IL)
Shimkus (20-IL)

Indiana
--------
Burton (6-IN)
Kerns (7-IN)

Iowa
-------
Ganske (4-IA)
Latham (5-IA)
Nussle (2-IA)

Kansas
--------
Ryun (2-KS)

Louisiana
----------
Cooksey (5-LA)
McCrery (4-LA)

Maryland
----------
Gilchrest (1-MD)

Minnesota
----------
Ramstad (3-MN)

Nebraska
----------
Bereuter (1-NE)

New Hampshire
---------------
Sununu (1-NH)

New Jersey
--------------
Ferguson (7-NJ)
Roukema (5-NJ)

New York
----------
Gilman (20-NY)
Houghton (31-NY)
King (3-NY)

North Carolina
----------------
Ballenger (10-NC)

Ohio
------
Chabot (1-OH)
Oxley (4-OH)

Pennsylvania
--------------
Pitts (19-PA)

Texas
------
Armey (26-TX)
Paul (12-TX)

Virginia
---------
Davis, Tom (11-VA)
Wolf (10-VA)

Wisconson
----------
Sensenbrenner (9-WI)

Wyoming
--------
Cubin (WY)

Write a letter, make a phone call, and consider organizing a district
visit. The following representatives are extremely important. We need your
action to make sure the legislation passes! Contact Sarah for more
information and help in organizing: sarah_jubileeusa@yahoo.com or
202-546-4470.

Sample Letter to Members of Congress
------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Representative --:

I am writing to express my support for deeper debt cancellation for
impoverished countries. Debt relief has proven to be effective in putting
kids in school and saving lives through increased access to health.
However, debt relief has not gone far enough. Complete debt cancellation is
needed for the fight against HIV/AIDS and to ensure global security through
poverty reduction.

Please co-sponsor the ?Debt Relief Enhancement Act of 2002,? HR 4524, which
will provide an additional $1 billion in debt relief for poor countries.

Also, the World Bank will ask Congress this year for more of our taxpayer
money (IDA-13). I would like you to condition your support on deeper debt
cancellation and an end to harmful World Bank and IMF policies that prevent
poor people from having access to clean water, health care, adequate
education, and good jobs.

Please respond with your position on these important moral concerns.

Sincerely,

Your Name
Your Church
Your Address

Sherry Darling said:
3. What do you all think of Ali's campaign to shut down Sellafield? Think we could pull it off? Get people to send the WH or Congress or O'Neill postcards? I wonder how that would even start.... (LOL Sherry lady loco)

Ooo Sherry, I really like this idea! count me in! :D

You are a GENIUS!! Do you think Bono sends you subliminal messages through his songs? You have to be on the same wavelength with him, you're amazing! :up:

I can't get away to go, but I think your Ali campaign idea with the cards is brilliant! I'll contribute to your bail if you get hauled away!;)

I'll be sure to write a congressman, even though mine is not on there I will pick the closest one. I will send to more than one if that works!

The post card idea is a really good one but I think may be difficult to get off the ground. Ali's campaign really lucked out because they had the full support of the post office as well as several grocery store chains (if I'm not mistaken) to assist in the delivery and dispersal of the cards. For something like that to get off the ground an organization would need someone to help pay for the printing of the cards and the postage as well as have a way to get them to all the individuals and families interested in sending them out.
The ACLU sends faxes and e-mails via its Web sites. Members can send a letter to their representatives that the ACLU either e-mails or faxes for free. Maybe if you got some kind of form e-mail sent around, people could send those to their reps, Paul O'Neill, the president or whoever else.

Hey, Kerry-Frist passed the Senate? Wow! Cool! It may not be everything we'd like it to be but it sure as hell is better than nothing! I think if it passed the Senate it should pass the House.

Sherry Darling said:
So...two things.

1. I'm thinking of trying to set up a meeting with one of our Reps in VA. Any VA angels up for it?

2. Any ideas on how we could get more people on board? Other places I might contact? Do any of you have friends/family who might send a letter?

I'm also thinking of setting up shop an afternoon or two at campus (GMU in Fairfax) with a table and copies of my letter. Will you all bail me out if I get arrested? ;)

Anyway, just thinking....

SD

wow! those are great ideas. i wish i lived near you and not Atlanta, otherwise I would help out. I will foward your website on to my best friend. she is an AIDS educator here in Atlanta and is very active with the AIDS community. It is through her hard work that has inspired me to help out as much as possible.

Wah.

None of the reps are in my district here in Cali. I did have to laugh though, one of the reps for Ca is Bono... ( mary boh-no!)

Heh Heh!!!

We'll I don't know if this will do any good or not , but I wrote to my local Dem rep here that represents my district to ask her to pursuade the rest of the CA reps that are on the list.

I'm PUSHY arent I? We'll it can't hurt anyway, and I challenge the rest to do the same. Check the list out and even if your rep isn't on it , email your local Rep asking them to pass on the word :
You can find your rep by going here and entering in your zip code: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/yourleg.html

here is the letter I wrote, you're welcome to copy it and send it along, altho I don't profess to be very good at letter writing...:huh:

Dear Sen. Bowen:

I know you are not on the list of Reps that are on the expanded targeted list for this bill ( Debt Relief Enhancement Act of 2002) but some of your fellow Reps are: Bono, Gallegly, Horn, Rohrabacher, Royce.
I don't feel it is appropriate for me to petition them since they are not in my district. So I am writing you to see if you can speak to them about the importance of this upcoming bill when the opportunity presents itself. The Senate bill has already been passed (S 2210) and has solid bipartisan support and is due before the House soon.

Below is the letter that I would send them if they were in my district and I thought I would forward it on to you for your reference.
Please let me know if there is anything else I can do,including working with your district office if you think it could help- and as always I appreciate your support.

Thank you!

Julie Cook
Redondo Beach, CA 90277

I am writing to express my support for deeper debt cancellation for
impoverished countries. Debt relief has proven to be effective in putting
kids in school and saving lives through increased access to health.
However, debt relief has not gone far enough. Complete debt cancellation is
needed for the fight against HIV/AIDS and to ensure global security through
poverty reduction.

Please co-sponsor the ?Debt Relief Enhancement Act of 2002,? HR 4524, which
will provide an additional $1 billion in debt relief for poor countries.

Also, the World Bank will ask Congress this year for more of our taxpayer
money (IDA-13). I would like you to condition your support on deeper debt
cancellation and an end to harmful World Bank and IMF policies that prevent
poor people from having access to clean water, health care, adequate
education, and good jobs.

Please respond with your position on these important moral concerns.

Ultravioletbabe said:
Good luck to all of you, it's a good cause. I hope no one gets arrested.

I don't think anyone is going to get busted, but if they did, hey, that might lead to more PR--and not necessarily bad. Getting busted in Birmingham didn't hurt MLK!

Hmmmmm...

I suspect Ali had a little financial support from The Count of Monte Dublin for all those post cards. But there must be a way. They say you come up with great stuff in your sleep, so I'll try to dream about it. LOL.

I think a good first step might be contacting organizations already up and running (like Jubilee) to suggest it. It'd cost like what, $1.50 each? I'd be happy to pay for my own. Maybe those of us really committed could "sponsor" X amt of post cards. The next step is how to get them out. I think Ali milked some media to get the word out. Mmmmm...local news, local papers....

Anyway, a more practical place to start is CERTAINLY calling your rep. I sent the email and will follow up with a phone call. I love Jubilee-- they give you kind of a script for those of us (like moi) who might be kinda nervous. http://jubileeusa is where you can click and send.

I think also we could make some headway with family and friends. If every Angel could get 2 others to call and or write.... (feel free to send my letter which is on the site in my sig....make life easy...)

dsmith, welcome! I hope you'll join us! The form letter idea is a good one, and in fact, for Bush and O'Neill, that's just what we've done. :) Thanks! UVbabe, I hope you'll join our little campaign to by calling your rep, and sending a letter to Bush and O'Neill.

Links in the sig, as ya'll know. Cut and paste if angelfire argues with ya.

Thanks guys! This bill is past one hurdle, but it's got a bigger one ahead of it!

Cheryl

PS-- Summer Rain: yes! :D

Last edited:
I'm in VA but I'm terrified of meeting with the congressman. I don't have any fancy clothes, but I guess I could borrow some like Bono ;) I just hope I wouldn't screw up and say something lame, I'm not the official type, but then again, Bono never was and look at him!

Thanks for all the info, I will do what I can! :)

Re: Hmmmmm...

Sherry Darling said:
dsmith, welcome! I hope you'll join us! The form letter idea is a good one, and in fact, for Bush and O'Neill, that's just what we've done. :) Thanks! UVbabe, I hope you'll join our little campaign to by calling your rep, and sending a letter to Bush and O'Neill.

The form letter thing definitely works. I pretty much get a letter a week from one of my representatives because I'm writing them so much on behalf of the ACLU!

This is all very sad, but interesting and necessary. Sherry Darling you sound like an incredible lady! Go for it! I will write one too.

So, dsmith, does that mean I can count on you for a letter?

SkyBlueDreamer! Welcome to Cloud Bono! Send your letter and I'll add you to the Angels. (BTW, I owe you a special thanks...I hadn't added anyone new for a good handful of days and was gettin down. :( ).

GHG-- I heard ya. I'm totally intimidated by this idea and feel like if it happens, it should be after some research and prep. If anyone's in, I'll do some homework for you. I can lend you my pea-green soup stained tie, if that'll help. :p

As an update to all Angels--am still investigating Bristol Myers (that drug company) and the idea of some sort of post card bitzkreig. :mac: Will report back next week early, after I'm done moving. (I HATE moving. Ergh.) I'm also going to talk to the Powers that Be on campus and see if I can't set up an info table, and talk to Jubilee. Maybe I can even represent them. Will report back.

Our mission right now is

1. Call your rep as per the Jubilee email posted above.
2. Recruit friends and family to write and call. The report back and let us know how you did. :) Even if every Angel only got ONE other person to cut and paste a letter...that'd be almost 50 more people!

(Can you tell I've seen Pay It Forward?)

SD

The folks are in Canada with my niece from Italy, but hey, they should be willing to get into at least debt cancellation. In that RTE interview that just came out Bono talked about anti-retrovirals in Brazil and how they'd saved many lives there because there is infrastructure there. I wish to heck I could get a transcript of this to prove that it's not as hopeless as they presently think it is. What on earth do you say to someone who insists the whole problem is sexual mores, political corruption and the other standard "hopeless" stuff?
Damn.

Our mission right now is

2. Recruit friends and family to write and call. The report back and let us know how you did. Even if every Angel only got ONE other person to cut and paste a letter...that'd be almost 50 more people!

SD

You have a brilliant plan! I'll do this and 'pay it forward!'

It can be like that old commercial- tell two friends, and they'll tell two friends, and so on, and so on.........;)

Sherry, do you happen to know Abbey Fisher? She worked the Jubilee tables at several concerts. She is not on Interference but used to be active on the mailing lists during the tour. She is young with no obligations and is very gung-ho for this cause! If you don't know her, I will try to find her email and PM it to you. I don't know for sure where she lives but it's somewhere on the east coast so she can go to DC, maybe even meet up with you. I know she'd love to be a part of this!

Sherry Darling said:
So, dsmith, does that mean I can count on you for a letter?

SkyBlueDreamer! Welcome to Cloud Bono! Send your letter and I'll add you to the Angels. (BTW, I owe you a special thanks...I hadn't added anyone new for a good handful of days and was gettin down. :( ).

GHG-- I heard ya. I'm totally intimidated by this idea and feel like if it happens, it should be after some research and prep. If anyone's in, I'll do some homework for you. I can lend you my pea-green soup stained tie, if that'll help. :p

As an update to all Angels--am still investigating Bristol Myers (that drug company) and the idea of some sort of post card bitzkreig. :mac: Will report back next week early, after I'm done moving. (I HATE moving. Ergh.) I'm also going to talk to the Powers that Be on campus and see if I can't set up an info table, and talk to Jubilee. Maybe I can even represent them. Will report back.

Our mission right now is

2. Recruit friends and family to write and call. The report back and let us know how you did. :) Even if every Angel only got ONE other person to cut and paste a letter...that'd be almost 50 more people!

SD

I was already planning on writing a Jubilee letter and I passed along Mara's e-mail to several of my friends, so hopefully I can convince at least one other person to take part.
Yeah, Sherry, count me in on your mission!

Hey, I just thought of something. I'm going to get my family in Italy to put heat on the Italian government to drop the debt and give aid! Heck, that's a G7 country, too! Wouldn't it be cool if Italy dropped their debt? I don't know what the Italian politicians think of all of this stuff but I'll bet I could get my ex-in-laws--even if they are ex-in-laws--to do something! Write letters and stuff! I can put heat on the U.S. government, they can put heat on the Italian government, and I'll look for relatives in Germany. :laugh: :laugh: :idea: :idea:

God Bless ya'll! Thanks for this! I will get on that research in the next day or so and see what we might realistically accomplish. I'll also plan to look into Bristol Myers, that drug co. So we can keep a running total, let me know if you get friends/family to join us by writing or calling, and I'll add 'em if they wish, or just put that number by your name on the List o' Angels. :) I think me first step will be to contact Jubilee and run the idea of a postcard blitz by 'em or maybe setting up a booth in a mall or on campus or something. :)

Anyway, Tabby, dsmith, Sky Blue, welcome to Cloud Bono! (Directions-- Go to Cloud 9 and look up.)

Kitty-- sure haven't, but she sounds like my kinda gal.

Verte-- great idea!! :)

Again, thanks all. You are an :angel:

Cheryl

Cheryl - I just saw this thread. You were probably wondering where the heck I was. Thanks so much for keeping on the ball. I think it's a great idea to rally a group to go see your congress people.

I still have it on my plate to further research Bristol Myers and Squib. Somebody give me more hours in my day!

Oktobergirl- nice letter. I'm in Northern California so I'll write my local congress person to rally her other California congress people too. How does one (like me) find out about who is or isn't on the expanded targeted list for this bill?

:yes:

hotpepper said:
Cheryl - I just saw this thread. You were probably wondering where the heck I was. Thanks so much for keeping on the ball. I think it's a great idea to rally a group to go see your congress people.

I still have it on my plate to further research Bristol Myers and Squib. Somebody give me more hours in my day!

Oktobergirl- nice letter. I'm in Northern California so I'll write my local congress person to rally her other California congress people too. How does one (like me) find out about who is or isn't on the expanded targeted list for this bill?

:yes:

Hey Hotpepper,

Glad you found the thread. :) Thanks for your continued help and enthusiasm! :) I'd check Jubilee USA for the info you refer to. :up: Good luck!

We're up to 48 angels now! I know we can make it 50!

Cheryl

Hey, does anyone know when the House vote is? It's probably posted in someone's note and I'm too absent-minded to remember. I get confused about the dates. I sent another note to Congress at the Stop Global Aids Center just in case my congressman (Spencer Bachus) screws up. I don't think so, though. He was one of the first supporters of debt relief in Congress. Just in case......we've got to have those votes!!!

hippyactress said:
Okay, for some reason, I don't think I'm signed up for the whole Angel thing...could you please sign me up? I'm more than happy to send letters and call...whatever's needed! I need to get involved!

HIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPYYY! Girl, you're #50! How cool is that! PLEBA PARTY!!!

We're at 50 Angels!!

:dance:

SD

50! That's great!

I see now that this thread is in Pleba --> Gatherings. I was patiently waiting to see if it would surface elsewhere since FYM was put in the dog house.

I checked the http://thomas.loc.gov site for status on HR 933 and based on the info there it's not doing much. Here's the lowdown:

3/7/2001:
Referred to House Ways and Means
3/7/2001:
Referred to House International Relations
3/14/2001:
Referred to the Subcommittee on Trade

Either that's really old data or this bill hasn't seen the light of day for a while. Seems like a red tape sort of way to just keep something in limbo. I'm going to call the office of my congresswoman who is sponsporing the bill and see what the hell is up. :eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom