Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Interference Gatherings
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2002, 01:41 AM   #31
ONE<br>love, blood, life

Location: Lookin' for the face I had before the world was made
Local Time: 11:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry Darling

HIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPYYY! Girl, you're #50! How cool is that! PLEBA PARTY!!!

We're at 50 Angels!!

SD
YAY!!!!! Well, sign me up...do you have an email thing?

in any case.... my email is hippy@u2email.com

Old 08-05-2002, 04:20 PM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:27 PM
Just saw this article on Yahoo! Seems that Paul O'Neill is starting to come around on some debt relief ideas, gives me some hope.

O'Neill: U.S. Backs Brazil-IMF Talks
Mon Aug 5,12:52 PM ET
By MICHAEL ASTOR, Associated Press Writer

BRASILIA, Brazil (AP) - U.S. Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill said Monday that Washington strongly supports Brazil's talks with the International Monetary Fund ( news - web sites) for a new bailout package to help it fend off a debt crisis.

In a meeting with President Fernando Henrique Cardoso, O'Neill said he told the Brazilian ( news - web sites) leader "we were very supportive of the discussion they are having with the IMF." Brazil reportedly is seeking some $10 billion to prop up its currency, which tumbled sharply last week.

"I understand the IMF has said they feel very good about their progress in the talks, and I think things are going forward," O'Neill added.

O'Neill came to Brazil Sunday evening on a four-day tour of South American countries, including Argentina and Uruguay, which are seeking more consistent U.S. support for plans to repair their ailing economies.

Cardoso had threatened not to receive O'Neill after the U.S. official suggested that some South American nations were diverting international financial aid to Swiss bank accounts. O'Neill backtracked, but the remarks caused ill feelings. A group of protesters outside the presidential palace burned the U.S. flag.

On Monday, Uruguay received an electronic transfer of $1.5 billion from the U.S. Federal Reserve ( news - web sites) to shore up its embattled financial system. Bush administration officials announced the emergency loan Sunday.

Uruguay shuttered all state and private banks for four days last week after panicked depositors began emptying their accounts. On Monday, banks began operating two hours before their usual noon opening in anticipation of a flood of customers.

The U.S. assistance to Uruguay is to be repaid within days once Uruguay receives a new loan package from the IMF, the World Bank ( news - web sites) and the Inter-American Development Bank.

Uruguay's four-year economic tailspin has been exacerbated by the unraveling of the Argentine economy next door. The loan marks the first time the Bush administration has provided direct economic support to a country in financial crisis and underscored growing U.S. concern about the widening economic troubles in Latin America.

O'Neill said last week that the administration supported more assistance to Brazil and Uruguay because those countries were pursuing appropriate policies to deal with their economic troubles. He did not mention Argentina, which is still struggling to devise a sustainable plan.

On Sunday, O'Neill spent three hours dining at the house of Central Bank Governor Arminio Fraga in Rio de Janeiro along with Finance Minister Pedro Malan and the presidential Chief of Staff Pedro Parente.

He was to fly later Monday to Sao Paulo, Brazil's financial center, for meetings with business leaders.

Brazilian officials are hoping O'Neill's visit will help secure financial support from the IMF in order to avoid a debt crisis and calm financial markets jittery about October presidential elections that could see a leftist candidate come to power.

Asked whether O'Neill supported a new accord between the IMF and Brazil, Parente said: "I think it was very positive. I perceived on the part of the secretary a posture that was very favorable, very comprehensive and with a lot of interest about the Brazilian situation."

Last week, O'Neill upset local markets when he expressed wariness about extending big rescue packages to heavily indebted countries like Brazil.

Investors reacted to O'Neill comments by dumping the country's currency and bonds. The Brazilian real then fell to 3.47 to the dollar, the lowest point in its eight-year history.

On Thursday, O'Neill said he favored IMF support for Brazil. He added that the country's economic team "has done a remarkable job of maintaining sound fiscal and monetary policies."

O'Neill's reversal reflected a larger change in the Bush administration, which had come to office promising to move away from the big bailouts of the Clinton administration.

Though O'Neill now backs an accord in Brazil, Cardoso's administration still needs the presidential candidates to support an IMF deal. Before lending more money to Brazil, the IMF has said it would like to see the candidates agree to certain economic policies.

Most candidates have said they would be amenable to an accord, but center-left candidate Ciro Gomes, who is in second place in polls and ahead of Cardoso's candidate Jose Serra, has spoken against a loan package.

Gomes has blamed Brazil's current $15 billion accord with the IMF and eight years of tight fiscal policies under Cardoso for hampering economic growth. In 12 months up to March, Brazil's economy grew just 0.3 percent.

Old 08-08-2002, 02:22 PM   #33
War Child

Local Time: 08:27 PM

dsmith2904 - thanks for posting the article.

Hmm . . . I'm not sure what to make of our policticians' financial assistance. I'd like to be optimistic but it seems to be some of the same old bandaid approach. It's good, I guess that the US can provide a quick bailout but as we can see from the stories in Africa, WB and IMF loans from the with the attached interest have really hurt struggling nations.
Old 08-08-2002, 09:39 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:27 AM
I started a thread in FYM and asked people from Brazil to post notes with their opinions on the matter. One posted a news article and there's a bit of opinion as well.
Old 08-12-2002, 10:46 AM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 10:27 PM

not sure how this is angel related, but i have changed my major to international affairs with a concentration in International Business, anyhow I am taking a class this fall called "International Health Policy". It is only offered once every 3 yrs. so I am jumping on this class, because I heard it was fantastic and should not be missed. so i am sure i will be full of useful information this fall.
Old 08-13-2002, 12:11 AM   #36
War Child

Local Time: 08:27 PM
MissVelvetDress - I think that's an admirable focus that you've taken. I have a personal interest in trying to find out how helpful and/or unhelpful pharmaceutical companies have been in helping with AIDS research and drug distribution so any info. that you find out would be greatly appreciated. I'm slowly pulling some research together so I can share that with you if you are interested.

Old 08-13-2002, 01:52 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.

Quote:
Originally posted by hotpepper
MissVelvetDress - I think that's an admirable focus that you've taken. I have a personal interest in trying to find out how helpful and/or unhelpful pharmaceutical companies have been in helping with AIDS research and drug distribution so any info. that you find out would be greatly appreciated. I'm slowly pulling some research together so I can share that with you if you are interested.

Thanks. I am really excited about this class and major. I will definitely let you know if I come across some good information regarding the pharmaceutical companies.
Old 08-13-2002, 04:25 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by MissVelvetDress_75

Thanks. I am really excited about this class and major. I will definitely let you know if I come across some good information regarding the pharmaceutical companies.

I'd love to have some info on this as well. Bravo, MVD!
Old 08-13-2002, 06:57 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76

I'd love to have some info on this as well. Bravo, MVD!
well, i have a slight confession, i have yet to sign up for this class, however they just added this class late last week and it hardly fills up, so chances are pretty darn good that i will get in. so everyone say a little prayer and keep your fingers crossed for me.
Old 08-15-2002, 06:57 PM   #40
Refugee

It's too late now, but Jubilee's call in to the White House was today. I called but I totally forgot to post.

WAH!

Old 08-15-2002, 10:56 PM   #41
New Yorker

WHAT?????

I'm on their mailing list. I check their site. How'd I miss this???

ARGH!

SD
Old 08-16-2002, 01:28 AM   #42
Refugee

SD,

It wasn't an email from Jubillee, Sorry.

It was from stopglobalaids.com. I deleted the email but the jist of it was, today was a national call in day to the White House. There was a script and everything but I can't seem to find it. Oh well, the 15th is over on the East Coast. We'll catch the next one. Supposedly Bush has rescinded on his pledge for $500 million to the cause. I will attempt to find the email it has some good information altho the jubileeusa.org site probably has the same information.

Here is an update on upcoming events:

August & September

August 23-September 4 - World Summit for Sustainable Development - countless events, pre-conferences, workshops and actions in and around Johannesburg, South Africa. Includes: The official UN summit, August 26 to September 4; The Global Peoples Forum and the Peoples Earth Summit, where Civil Society will gather to exchange ideas, develop common perspective and positions and make their concerns heard, August 19 to September 4 and August 23 to September 3, respectively. More info at World Summit 2002

September 25-30 - Jubilee Mobilization to Cancel the Debt, Now!
Interfaith Prayer Service and Vigil at US Treasury Department, September 26, 7pm
End Corporate Rule: Global Struggles Against the IMF and World Bank, September 25-30, including Mobilization, Rally and March, September 28
More info at Jubilee USA Network
Old 08-16-2002, 01:10 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Thanks for the updates! I almost forgot to check here, I hope all of the girls will come here even though we got moved to gatherings. Keep the angels going!
Old 08-16-2002, 10:56 PM   #44
New Yorker

U2K-- thank you! Yeah, I was/am worried that this stuff will get lost in here, so I suggested earlier all Angel stuff be at Free your Mind.

Oktobergirl, will check their site. Thank you for the important info!

SD
Old 08-17-2002, 01:05 AM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Damn, I missed this! I got distracted by the Prague flood (I have a friend in Prague and spent the better part of two days with the Nervous System Torture From Hell). I'll get letters written about this backing off act of Bush's...the demonstrators will have something to say as well! I got something from O'Neill's office just today. It contains a note from the Treasury Department about the HPIC countries, the debt, and also a copy of O'Neill's testimony in Congress. I think it's "window-dressing" for what the government isn't doing; it's about as clear as mud.
Let's raise some hell!!!