Angel Alert - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Interference Gatherings
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2002, 09:47 PM   #16
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:30 AM
So, dsmith, does that mean I can count on you for a letter?

SkyBlueDreamer! Welcome to Cloud Bono! Send your letter and I'll add you to the Angels. (BTW, I owe you a special thanks...I hadn't added anyone new for a good handful of days and was gettin down. ).

GHG-- I heard ya. I'm totally intimidated by this idea and feel like if it happens, it should be after some research and prep. If anyone's in, I'll do some homework for you. I can lend you my pea-green soup stained tie, if that'll help.

As an update to all Angels--am still investigating Bristol Myers (that drug company) and the idea of some sort of post card bitzkreig. Will report back next week early, after I'm done moving. (I HATE moving. Ergh.) I'm also going to talk to the Powers that Be on campus and see if I can't set up an info table, and talk to Jubilee. Maybe I can even represent them. Will report back.

Our mission right now is

1. Call your rep as per the Jubilee email posted above.
2. Recruit friends and family to write and call. The report back and let us know how you did. Even if every Angel only got ONE other person to cut and paste a letter...that'd be almost 50 more people!

(Can you tell I've seen Pay It Forward?)

SD

Old 07-18-2002, 10:32 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:30 AM
The folks are in Canada with my niece from Italy, but hey, they should be willing to get into at least debt cancellation. In that RTE interview that just came out Bono talked about anti-retrovirals in Brazil and how they'd saved many lives there because there is infrastructure there. I wish to heck I could get a transcript of this to prove that it's not as hopeless as they presently think it is. What on earth do you say to someone who insists the whole problem is sexual mores, political corruption and the other standard "hopeless" stuff?
Damn.

Old 07-18-2002, 10:42 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:30 AM
Quote:
Our mission right now is

2. Recruit friends and family to write and call. The report back and let us know how you did. Even if every Angel only got ONE other person to cut and paste a letter...that'd be almost 50 more people!

SD
You have a brilliant plan! I'll do this and 'pay it forward!'

It can be like that old commercial- tell two friends, and they'll tell two friends, and so on, and so on.........

Sherry, do you happen to know Abbey Fisher? She worked the Jubilee tables at several concerts. She is not on Interference but used to be active on the mailing lists during the tour. She is young with no obligations and is very gung-ho for this cause! If you don't know her, I will try to find her email and PM it to you. I don't know for sure where she lives but it's somewhere on the east coast so she can go to DC, maybe even meet up with you. I know she'd love to be a part of this!
Old 07-19-2002, 12:52 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry Darling
So, dsmith, does that mean I can count on you for a letter?

SkyBlueDreamer! Welcome to Cloud Bono! Send your letter and I'll add you to the Angels. (BTW, I owe you a special thanks...I hadn't added anyone new for a good handful of days and was gettin down. ).

GHG-- I heard ya. I'm totally intimidated by this idea and feel like if it happens, it should be after some research and prep. If anyone's in, I'll do some homework for you. I can lend you my pea-green soup stained tie, if that'll help.

As an update to all Angels--am still investigating Bristol Myers (that drug company) and the idea of some sort of post card bitzkreig. Will report back next week early, after I'm done moving. (I HATE moving. Ergh.) I'm also going to talk to the Powers that Be on campus and see if I can't set up an info table, and talk to Jubilee. Maybe I can even represent them. Will report back.

Our mission right now is

SD
I was already planning on writing a Jubilee letter and I passed along Mara's e-mail to several of my friends, so hopefully I can convince at least one other person to take part.
Yeah, Sherry, count me in on your mission!
Old 07-19-2002, 01:35 PM   #20
Refugee

Old 07-19-2002, 02:38 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Hey, I just thought of something. I'm going to get my family in Italy to put heat on the Italian government to drop the debt and give aid! Heck, that's a G7 country, too! Wouldn't it be cool if Italy dropped their debt? I don't know what the Italian politicians think of all of this stuff but I'll bet I could get my ex-in-laws--even if they are ex-in-laws--to do something! Write letters and stuff! I can put heat on the U.S. government, they can put heat on the Italian government, and I'll look for relatives in Germany. :idea: :idea:
Old 07-19-2002, 05:59 PM   #22
Refugee

Location: living in a rock and roll fantasy- and what's wrong with that?
Thank you SD, I'm staying on the bandwagon!

Brandon Boyd

-Incubus
Desire4Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 07:29 PM   #23
New Yorker

God Bless ya'll! Thanks for this! I will get on that research in the next day or so and see what we might realistically accomplish. I'll also plan to look into Bristol Myers, that drug co. So we can keep a running total, let me know if you get friends/family to join us by writing or calling, and I'll add 'em if they wish, or just put that number by your name on the List o' Angels. I think me first step will be to contact Jubilee and run the idea of a postcard blitz by 'em or maybe setting up a booth in a mall or on campus or something.

Anyway, Tabby, dsmith, Sky Blue, welcome to Cloud Bono! (Directions-- Go to Cloud 9 and look up.)

Kitty-- sure haven't, but she sounds like my kinda gal.

Verte-- great idea!!

Again, thanks all. You are an

Cheryl
Old 07-22-2002, 08:22 PM   #24
War Child

Local Time: 03:30 AM

Cheryl - I just saw this thread. You were probably wondering where the heck I was. Thanks so much for keeping on the ball. I think it's a great idea to rally a group to go see your congress people.

I still have it on my plate to further research Bristol Myers and Squib. Somebody give me more hours in my day!

Oktobergirl- nice letter. I'm in Northern California so I'll write my local congress person to rally her other California congress people too. How does one (like me) find out about who is or isn't on the expanded targeted list for this bill?

Old 07-23-2002, 04:37 PM   #25
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by hotpepper
Cheryl - I just saw this thread. You were probably wondering where the heck I was. Thanks so much for keeping on the ball. I think it's a great idea to rally a group to go see your congress people.

I still have it on my plate to further research Bristol Myers and Squib. Somebody give me more hours in my day!

Oktobergirl- nice letter. I'm in Northern California so I'll write my local congress person to rally her other California congress people too. How does one (like me) find out about who is or isn't on the expanded targeted list for this bill?

Hey Hotpepper,

Glad you found the thread. Thanks for your continued help and enthusiasm! I'd check Jubilee USA for the info you refer to. Good luck!

We're up to 48 angels now! I know we can make it 50!

Cheryl
Old 07-23-2002, 11:16 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Hey, does anyone know when the House vote is? It's probably posted in someone's note and I'm too absent-minded to remember. I get confused about the dates. I sent another note to Congress at the Stop Global Aids Center just in case my congressman (Spencer Bachus) screws up. I don't think so, though. He was one of the first supporters of debt relief in Congress. Just in case......we've got to have those votes!!!
Old 07-29-2002, 10:23 PM   #27
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
Hey, does anyone know when the House vote is?
Ergh...anyone? I haven't heard a thing....

HR 933 is the one we need to tell our reps to support, though.

Cheryl
Old 07-29-2002, 10:57 PM   #28
ONE<br>love, blood, life

Location: Lookin' for the face I had before the world was made
Okay, for some reason, I don't think I'm signed up for the whole Angel thing...could you please sign me up? I'm more than happy to send letters and call...whatever's needed! I need to get involved!
Old 07-30-2002, 10:15 PM   #29
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by hippyactress
Okay, for some reason, I don't think I'm signed up for the whole Angel thing...could you please sign me up? I'm more than happy to send letters and call...whatever's needed! I need to get involved!
HIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPYYY! Girl, you're #50! How cool is that! PLEBA PARTY!!!

We're at 50 Angels!!

SD
Old 07-30-2002, 10:47 PM   #30
War Child

Local Time: 03:30 AM

50! That's great!

I see now that this thread is in Pleba --> Gatherings. I was patiently waiting to see if it would surface elsewhere since FYM was put in the dog house.

I checked the http://thomas.loc.gov site for status on HR 933 and based on the info there it's not doing much. Here's the lowdown:

3/7/2001:
Referred to House Ways and Means
3/7/2001:
Referred to House International Relations
3/14/2001:
Referred to the Subcommittee on Trade

Either that's really old data or this bill hasn't seen the light of day for a while. Seems like a red tape sort of way to just keep something in limbo. I'm going to call the office of my congresswoman who is sponsporing the bill and see what the hell is up.