All MySpace Discussion III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We did an article on this in Marketing class..about why Myspace is so appealing. We concluded that it's the creativity aspect. It's being able to chose the wallpaper, music, everything! It's personalized. IT's like a little webpage but free and connected to all your friends and networks. It's only dangerous if you're stupid enough to put personal things on it, personal photos, set your account to public, accept all kinds of unknown friends, etc. It's just like anything else. It can be abused, but it can also be a fun way to keep in touch with friends. Of course even adults use Myspace, but teens especially like the fact that they can choose what goes on the page and personalize it to their interests. Being an idiot on the Internet is a personal problem and not one to blame on a clever and very popular idea. :p

Oh, I'm an idiot for myriad reasons, all of which supercede any involvement myspace might have in my devolution. I absolve the internets of all blame and responsibility as it pertains to my doltdom. And, there are so many different ways to be an idiot on the internet. Some intentional, some so unintentional that the idiot has no idea that they are, in fact, an idiot.

There are many reasons why Myspace is appealing. I actually work for a company that is owned by the people that now own myspace, and it was enlightening to read the rationale for the acquisition, and the reasons all parties involved with such an entity have to explain why there is such a powerful allure.

Last edited:
Ooh sure, I didn't mean to target you specifically. I just remembered a friend of mine saying all this stuff about Myspace and how it was bad news, etc.

There are so many types of idiot. :p it's quite entertaining.

Myspace is what it is. I don't use it, but, I "get" it. There are much worse things out there than using myspace.

As for the types of idiot out there, there are too many to count...but, yeah, they do provide ceaseless entertainment. :)

LemonMacPhisto said:
Is anyone having trouble commenting and sending messages?

It keeps telling me I'm sending "blank comments/messages" and is really bothering me.

I emailed the Help service, I hope they have a clue.

It was a toolbar I was using, everything's cool now.

*tip*

I dunno if everyone's aware of this, but go thru your list of friends, and if you find some that have a big red X on their profile photo......delete them asap.
Those would be potential hackers for you site.
Just my $.02

Carry on.

Well, in the past when they show up, they have this pic of a scandalous looking girl....which is fake......then they just show a big red X....:shrug:

RedrocksU2 said:
*tip*

I dunno if everyone's aware of this, but go thru your list of friends, and if you find some that have a big red X on their profile photo......delete them asap.
Those would be potential hackers for you site.
Just my $.02

Carry on.

i make a game out of mine:

connect4.gif

:D

RedrocksU2 said:
Go to "Edit Friends"
That's when you can see them. Only on that selection.

I know, I have seen the X's but not naked chicks :p

RedrocksU2 said:
Well, in the past when they show up, they have this pic of a scandalous looking girl....which is fake......then they just show a big red X....:shrug:

Do you mean that one day there is a photo of a skank up on the profile picture, then the next day there is a big red X? That's because the skank's profile has been deleted and that picture is no longer.

Facebook is for 'good' kids - MySpace is for freaks
Research reveals class divide. Teenagers tend to favour environments in which they feel comfortable, study finds

MISTY HARRIS, CanWest News Service
Published: Friday, June 29, 2007

Choosing a social networking site is beginning to resemble finding the "right" table in the school cafeteria.

According to a University of California ethnographer, adherents of rival sites Facebook and MySpace are lining up on opposite sides of a class divide, with "the goodie-two-shoes, jocks, athletes, or other 'good' kids" going to the former and "punks, emos, Goths, gangstas, queer kids and other kids who (don't) fit into the dominant high-school popularity paradigm" aligning themselves with the latter.

Researcher danah boyd - her name is legally lowercase - writes that Facebook's teen users "tend to come from families who emphasize education and going to college," are predominantly white, take honours classes and "live in a world dictated by after-school activities." Young occupants of MySpace are described as "geeks, freaks or queers" who hail from lower-income families and are expected to get jobs after graduating Grade 12.

The reasons for the technological class divide, which boyd examines in the context of high school users, are complex but boil down to a Breakfast Club scenario in which teens gravitate toward that which makes them most comfortable.

"People tend to self-select," says John Craft, a professor of mass communication at Arizona State University. "While everybody wants to move up into a better neighbourhood, you still tend to associate with people who share common traits." He reasons the class division that boyd describes is simply a digitized version of Pygmalion.

"I don't think it's any different now than when Henry Higgins was trying to teach Eliza Doolittle to speak English correctly," says Craft, recalling the George Bernard Shaw play in which an academic and a cockney flower girl are unable to overcome their divergent backgrounds.

According to Comscore, an Internet data collection company, nearly 50 per cent of Facebook users - compared with the overall Web average of around 40 per cent - live in households in which the annual income is higher than $75,000 U.S. MySpace's demographic reportedly falls below both, with just over one-third of the site's users having household incomes topping $75,000.

Although the findings were presented as a "blog essay" rather than an academic article, boyd's reputation as a leading analyst of online behaviour has observers taking her report seriously.

"There was no way to pick apart something like class (in previous years), hence the signature refrain that you could be a dog on the Internet and no one would know," says Gabriella Coleman, a cultural anthropologist at the University of Alberta.

"Now, there's a little bit more possibility to start thinking about these issues and I think that's what (boyd's) got her finger on." Discrimination may be the chief concern for all demographics, she says, pointing to a section in boyd's paper that notes the U.S. military recently barred access to MySpace - an apparent favourite of the soldiers - but not Facebook, which is said to be preferred by officers.

"Once you have a hierarchy between the sites, there's a problem because you're valuing one group over the other." According to boyd, much of the division - at least among teens - can be attributed to aesthetics.

"That clean or modern look of Facebook is akin to West Elm or Pottery Barn or any poshy Scandinavian design house, while the more flashy look of MySpace resembles the Las Vegas imagery that attracts millions every year," she writes, noting the latter design might be dismissed as "gauche" by a Facebook user but lauded as "bling" or "fly" by the "subaltern communities" populating MySpace.

Representatives for the websites could not be reached for comment.

Does anybody else get annoyed by myspace pages that automatically play loud music? :shifty: I don't mean to be rude to anybody here but I hate to rush to click on the stop button as soon as I go to somebody's profile. The most I'd have is something soft or instrumental or at least something that doesn't automatically start. Just a personal preference. Currently I don't have anything on there but I'm considering putting Pink Floyd's Marooned. :combust:

Zootlesque said:
Does anybody else get annoyed by myspace pages that automatically play loud music? :shifty: I don't mean to be rude to anybody here but I hate to rush to click on the stop button as soon as I go to somebody's profile. The most I'd have is something soft or instrumental or at least something that doesn't automatically start. Just a personal preference. Currently I don't have anything on there but I'm considering putting Pink Floyd's Marooned. :combust:

go to "edit music" in your preferences and you can choose the option that will stop other people's music from automatically starting when you visit their page.

or you could turn your sound down when you're on myspace :wink:

Bono's American Wife said:
go to "edit music" in your preferences and you can choose the option that will stop other people's music from automatically starting when you visit their page.

or you could turn your sound down when you're on myspace :wink:

I see. Thanks! :up:

I can't turn my volume down cos more often than not, I'm playing my itunes when online. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom