All Facebook Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well this new meme, "i like it on..." is really shit and annoying and i don't give a fuck about handbags and on whose planet is this benefiting cancer research?

First Disclaimer: please don't think I'm whining about anyone I know who did it and thought it was fun; it's more about the general concept, I didn't start defriending or hiding people, I just hit the scroll button.

I know a lot of people think it's harmless fun, and you know, great. I can just ignore those status updates and delete the 50 messages I got telling me to do it because it's so fun!, but it's so annoying that it's being used to raise "awareness."

Oh hey, let's sexualize cancer! It's *~scandalous~* to associate it with sex! It's all about the boobs and not about a disease that's killing women! I'm just a pair of tits, so we'd better make sure we save those!

I feel so aware about breast cancer now. I had no idea it existed before people started telling me where they liked it.

/rant

Second Disclaimer: my mom and one of my aunts are breast cancer survivors, so I'm not a total cold hard bitch ;)

I was reading about it yesterday, and it sounds like it initially started as just a goofy meme, but then someone split it off from the original group/intent and decided to associate it with breast cancer.

Guess what - people are aware of breast cancer already. Go make a donation to a program that helps women get free mammograms or something.

I hate when I'm put on an email chain that I dont want to be on and there's nothing I can do to get off of it.

Yeah, that's one of the things I don't like about Facebook - someone sends a message to a group of people, you can only "reply to all," and you're stuck with all the replies.

Well you can reply to an individual person if you wanted to (there's a reply link by each persons name) but the point is people still keep replying all and then you're stuck with 5 million messages.

that's been me all this leg of the tour when mp3 links of the new songs start floating around

me: "hey. someone sent me a message" :hyper:

:sad:

Oh, I didn't know that! Thanks.

I usually don't even reply because I know it'll go to everyone - if I have something to say to just one person, I'll send them a new message or write on their wall directly.

About the "I like it...." thing, a friend of mine who has had cancer in her family sent the email, so I did it. It was a few minutes of harmless fun. She is painfully aware of cancer, as am I. I actually have donated to breast cancer research this month, so it isn't like I was doing this instead of something else!

I hate when I'm put on an email chain that I dont want to be on and there's nothing I can do to get off of it.

Just be anti-social -- like me. Works like a charm! :wink:

About the "I like it...." thing, a friend of mine who has had cancer in her family sent the email, so I did it. It was a few minutes of harmless fun. She is painfully aware of cancer, as am I. I actually have donated to breast cancer research this month, so it isn't like I was doing this instead of something else!

:hug:

I waffled for a good 10 minutes about deleting my post because I really didn't want anyone to feel offended, I just wanted to get it off my chest.

... but didn't want to do it on Facebook. :shifty:

It's ok Cori!:hug:

We all deal with things in different ways, and for some, I think the humour in this might help. It isn't for everyone!

Yeah, that's one of the things I don't like about Facebook - someone sends a message to a group of people, you can only "reply to all," and you're stuck with all the replies.

YES. People who reply all make me stabby. I had a friend that was in a contest that sent a message to about 10 people asking them to vote, and it resulted in a whole week of crap filling my messages. I can barely keep up with the messages I WANT to read, let alone stuff that isn't even to me! :doh:

THIS to this. :wink: I recall one of those message threads where two people started debating the live version vs the studio version of a certain song and kept going back and forth and we all got to receive the constant notifications. I wanted to bash both their heads together. :violence: :heart:

NEW HATE!

when you get a notification the only thing that shows up is for example, your status, and the comments. it doesn't appear like your profile page, with all that stuff on the left hand side.

at least you all can still access your fb . . . I can log on but I can't do diddley squat else . . . try to post a message . . . fb freeze; try to access a friends page . . . fb freeze; try to do anything other than look at the first page of my fb and . . . yup, fb freeze :madwife: . . . don't think it's my computah cuz I can access this place and a bunch of other sites no problemo and as far as my virus scans etc go I am cleaner than a freshly bathed newborn :sigh: . . . fml :p :wink:

NEW HATE!

when you get a notification the only thing that shows up is for example, your status, and the comments. it doesn't appear like your profile page, with all that stuff on the left hand side.

I've encountered this a couple times though it doesnt seem to be consistent. But yes, hate.

Is Facebook acting weird for anyone else tonight? It keeps double posting people's status and it keeps telling me that a certain person changed their profile picture every couple of minutes.

The stupid fact that you don't get to see a list of your friends who are online to chat with on the left hand of the screen, and instead just see their profile pics. And then you have to roll your mouse over each one to see who is online :angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom