The Endless Deep Chapter 3 (4/20/09)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

partygirl43

Refugee
PURE 100% Fiction!! Made Fresh for You!!!!!!!

CHAPTER 3

The next morning I enjoyed coffee with my Uncle in the sunroom. He was reading the paper, I was trying to do the same, but my mind kept replaying everything that happened the night before. It felt very much like a dream. I was sure I’d awake and it would be over. The housekeeper came in with a huge bouquet of flowers, blazing in fall colors. They were breath taking. “Special delivery, Mr. Stewart!” she said. My Uncle looked up from the paper and we both stood to look at the note attached. It read: ‘To Paul, and his dear niece Ansleigh, Thank You for the lovely evening and your help and commitment to our cause. Beautiful flowers for a beautiful girl---Bono’. One small box was rectangular and for my Uncle. That note read: ‘For a man of good taste’. Enclosed were several fine cigars. “Wonderful Choices!” my Uncle said. There was another smaller box for me. I opened it, inside was a note it read: ‘One of each----B’. It was an order for one of each of the photos. I was glad to have proof that this was not a dream.

“Excellent, Ansleigh.” My Uncle said “You must have made quite an impression.”

If he only knew.

Very late that evening my cell rang. I did not recognize the number, but remembered what Bono had said. It was Tom. “Ms. Fisher, Bono would like to see you this evening.” I looked at my clock, it was already ten o’clock.

“O.K.” I replied.

“Right then.” Tom said “I’ll pick you up in an hour.” And he hung up.

I flew to my closet, rummaging for something to wear. I was dressed to the nines last night. I didn’t know what to do. I settled on my skinny legged jeans, heels and a pretty, off the shoulder top. I left my hair down.

My Uncle had left for business, so I did not have to tell him a little white lie. Tom arrived quickly and efficiently. This time we talked even less. I was more nervous than ever to see Bono. I wished I had a drink before I left to steel my nerves.

Up again to the suite. This time opera filled the air, it was Caruso. I smiled thinking about Bono’s lovely tenor. Then he appeared. He was freshly showered and smelled soapy and fresh. I remembered that this was the last show in Chicago.

“Ansleigh.” He said, than did a little wolf whistle and kissed my cheek. Instinctively, I grabbed his hand, as if I almost did not trust that he was right in front of me. He was, indeed, real. He took my hand in his and led me to the living room.

“I’m hungry.” He said “I ordered dinner for us. I hope you don’t mind.” The table was set with candles and flowers. The room looked beautiful.

“No, I don’t mind.” I said. He pulled out my seat as I sat down, and then poured red wine.

“Thank You for the flowers” I said “and your order.” I winked.

“Well, they’re very good and I think they look great in our offices.” He took a sip of wine.

“Wow, that’s great.” I smiled

“So what else are you doing Ansleigh?” He asked. “We didn’t get that far last night.”

“Well, I have a book deal. I’ve been working on that.” I said.

His brows raised, “A book deal?”

I nodded, “Yeah, sort of a memoir, scrap book type thing.”

He grinned, “Have you lived enough life for a memoir?’

I knew what he was saying. “Sometimes I think I have, and other times I don’t” I smiled. “My life has had a lot of twists and turns already.” Given that I was sitting across from Bono, this was a huge understatement.

Our dinner was finished. Bono picked up his wine glass and the bottle and said “Let’s go to the bedroom.” My face must have blanched, because then he said “No funny stuff, I swear. It’s just more comfortable in there.” He sat down at the head of the most comfy bed I’d ever seen. He put the wine bottle and glass on the nightstand, which was cluttered with pads of paper, some books and a Vanity Fair magazine. Then he fluffed up the decadent mound of pillows. I kicked off my shows and crawled up from the foot of the bed to sit next to him, drawing my knees close to me.

“God I’m tired.” He exhaled. “Sometimes, I think I’m getting too old for this. But it’s the nearing the end. I always feel this way.”

I was tired too, but I really had no idea exactly how he felt.

“Here, see if this helps.” I put my arm around his shoulder and motioned for him to sit on the edge of the bed.
I started to knead his shoulders and back. They were soft and strong, and full of knots. He sighed. Then exclaimed “ahh…ouch!”.

“Oh sorry.” I stopped.

“No---keep going. God, this feels great!” he said.
I started to massage his scalp, he leaned his head back looking at me. “Where’d you learn how to do this?”

I put my fingers on his facial pressure points. “Oh, just something I picked up when I was backpacking through Thailand and India.” Then I laughed, “The scalp massage I picked up from too many visits to my Aveda salon!”

“Backpacking through Thailand and India?” he asked, closing his eyes. He seemed wistful, or relaxed, I could not tell.

“Yeah,” I said continuing to massage his shoulders. “I went after I graduated from college, I had a lot of things to sort out.”

“Like what?” he inhaled deeply as I rubbed his arms.

“Oh, I’ve had a pretty crazy life. I wasn’t born into the upper-crust. I was kind of thrust into it.” I said. I stopped what I was doing, and he turned around. I lay back on the bed, he was next to me.

I was not expecting to tell Bono my life story, but I guess we were at that point. “O.K.” he said. “That makes two of us. Tell me your story.”

I propped my hand up and put it under my chin and looked at him. “Well” I sighed “My father and Uncle were semi-estranged. I didn’t grow up with a lot of money, we were middle class. It was me, my Mom and Dad and sister. When I was 14, my mother died of cancer..”

A pained looked flashed across his face, for reasons I and others knew all too well.

“I’m sorry, Ansleigh.” He said. I nodded. “I know, I’m sorry for you, too.” I said.

“So, for a while it was just me and my father and sister.” I stopped for a moment, and lay back on the bed. My eyes were fixed on the ceiling. I watched the city lights flicker across them. My eyes started to burn. I didn’t really want to cry in front of Bono, the second time meeting him.
“Then one day, my dad, sister, I and my cousin were in a car together and…..” I sniffed

Bono propped himself up and looked at me. I could not help it, my eyes were too full of tears at this point. They started to stream down my cheeks.

“Ansleigh….shhh.” He said, stroking my face, brushing my tears away.
“No, I mean its O.K.” I sniffed. “It’s a part of me, right?”

I gave a small embarrassed giggle, “I didn’t think I ever have to tell it to you, though.”

“So what happened?” He asked.

“We were all in a horrific car accident. Everyone was killed, except me.” My voice was strained.

“Jesus.” He said.

I sat upright, looking for some tissues. He reached over to the other side of the bed and offered me some. I stood up, standing between his knees. I wiped my face and nose.

I put both hands up to cover my face. “God, I’m sorry to unload on you like that, Sooo embarrassing.”

He reached up, and pulled my hands from my face. “I guess you have lived enough life that memoir.” He pulled me closer and kissed me, full and hard. His hands, brushed the hair away from my face. My arms went around his shoulders and we fell back onto the bed. I kissed him back, feeling breathless. My eyes were closed, but I saw a kaleidoscope of colors and sparkles. I felt his hands on my back, going under my shirt. Then he abruptly broke away from me, and sort of stood me back up.

“You have to go.” He said quickly. His voice went sad.

“Whaaa?” I was confused.

“Ans, it’s late. I want to see you again. You can tell me more of your story. There’s more, right?”

I nodded. “Tons!”

“I’m not just your Chicago girl?” I said looking right at him.

He laughed sleepily, “It’s been a long tour and there hasn’t been any girl.” I cocked my brow skeptically. “Ansleigh,” he continued pleading his case. “It would be easy, so easy. A woman, in every city. But when it’s like that its boring. Kinda like shooting fish in a barrel. But you are interesting. I’m interested. I think were both looking for the same thing.” He looked deep into my eyes. His were so blue and I felt like they were penetrating my soul.
I smiled weakly. I was tired and bewildered. We made our way to the foyer and waited for the elevator.

“I’ll see you again soon, I promise.” He said kissing me on the forehead. “Tom will give you the details.”

Back
Top Bottom