The Bass Player's Wife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reggo

Blue Crack Addict
^Adam and Lucy rewrite title.

I love teasers, don't you?

Content and language warning.

-----

I sit at the desk of our suite in New Orleans and take off my high heels and start removing my makeup with a kleenex, the tears that were streaming down my face in the taxi have already taken are of most of it. I take off my dress and change into jeans and a t-shirt. I sit back down at the desk to take the pins out of my updo.

He forgot their names. He forgot Stacie and Addie's names. He's unbelievable. I wonder if he knows all his sons' names. No, those he probably remembers. They've always been more important to him than the girls.

Adam opens the door to our suite. I startle and look up from the desk I've been sitting at. He's angry, and I look away. I hope he's not in the mood to fight, but that hope is dashed when he opens his mouth.

"What the hell is wrong with you? You just ditch me?" Adam slams the door behind him and starts across the room at me.

"You acted like I was a nuisance and rolled your eyes whenever I spoke like you didn't want me there. I'm sorry I got in your way," I say softly, still refusing to look at him. "Apologise to Billie Joe the next time you see him for me."

Adam pushes my shoulder, but I only glance up for a second before looking at my knees. "So what? You're just going to sulk all night?"

I shrug. He'd rather be with the band than his family. He's made that abundantly clear in the past few years.

"I'm starting to think you don't like that I'm in the band anymore," Adam shouts.

Fine, I'll fight. "Yes, Adam, I do resent you being in the band. I'm sorry. I'm jealous. I'm jealous of Bono, Edge, and Larry. I'm jealous of Stuart and Brian and Danny and the fans and all the people you'd rather spend time with than me and our children."

"You know that's not true!" Adam sticks his finger in my face.

"Well, what am I supposed to think?" I shrug. "You fly us out here, but don't spend any time with us unless it makes you look good. You spend our eleventh wedding anniversary--"

"Oh, Christ, not this again," Adam drops onto the bed.

"You spend our eleventh anniversary in fucking New Jersey, and can't even spare a goddamn phone call!"

"I told you I was sorry, Lucy, Jesus!"

"I know you did. And I know you tried to mean it--"

"Goddamnit, Lucy."

"--But I don't feel it anymore. I don't know you anymore. You barely know our children because you're never home." I point in the direction of their hotel rooms.

"That's not fair, Lucy! I'm away all the time because I'm trying to provide for you. Show you a good life. Holden wants to be a nuclear physicist, Jude can play the piano better than anyone, Dom loves to dance, Gaz is the family astronomer. Don't tell me I don't know my children, Lucy!"

"Adam, I had to remind you of Anastacia and Addison's names twice tonight!"

"Is that why you left the party and wouldn't talk to me until I pissed you off? God, you're fucking childish."

That's the final straw. "I don't love you anymore. I hate you. I want a divorce."

Adam glares at me. He knows how bad that'll look. "Have you lost your mind?"

"So now I'm crazy because I don't love you, right? Is that it?"

"No! Wrong! You're not crazy, and you do love me. That's the point, Lucy."

"But I don't. I hate you. You were just some boy who made me laugh at an AA meeting once, and now I loathe the sight of you. In fact, if you come any closer, if you touch me or anything, I think I'll scream."

"Oh, come on, stop this, Lucy."

He touches my shoulder again for an instant and I scream at the top of my lungs before walking away. He chases after me.

"Fuck you, Lucy! Fuck you and all your goddamn, hateful--" He breaks the desk chair against the wall. I cower in the corner of the suite bedroom when he runs at me with a balled-up fist.

"What are you going to do now? Are you going to hit me? To show me how much you love me?"

"Don't worry, I can't be arsed! You're not worth the trouble it would take to hit you! You are an empty, hollow shell of a woman. I mean, what the fuck are you doing in my house if you hate me so much? Why the hell are you married to me? What the hell are you doing raising my children? I mean, why didn't you just get rid of them when you had the chance? Because I got news for you-- I wish to God that you had!"

Adam and I stare at each other. I look away, saying nothing, and walk out of the suite. I walk down the south side of the corridor. My children, who certainly heard that fight, as well as the rest of the hotel, are to the north. Adam can explain himself to them. I need to go be with someone else.

I knock on his door. "Tré?"

-----
:uhoh: So... what do you think?

That's not exactly the jumping off point, but it came to me and I figured it'd be a good teaser chapter. :D

But I'll satisfy curiosity and just say that Tré and Lucy don't do anything.

Not a one. before the end of August, I'd imagine.

Back
Top Bottom