Stranger In A Strange Land: Chapter 20

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

secretly alone

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Ta-da!! I'm working on the next chapter, too...which I will be PMing :hyper:

~FICTION~

Blood.

The mere thought of it made me nauseous and light-headed.

Now, the sight of it sent the most powerful wave of relief through me that I had ever felt in my life. I had never been happier to see it. For the second time in a few days, my entire world flipped upside down. But now I supposed it had gone back to right-side-up.

I tore out of the bathroom into the hotel lobby, and shouted gleefully, "I'm not pregnant!!". It was dead silent, and the boys were nowhere in sight. The hotel staff gave me funny looks. "Your friends went outside...I think," the receptionist said quietly, clearly embarassed. Oh, ok. So I had just made a complete fool of myself. That's cool, I thought. Not like I hadn't done it a million times before. "Oh. Well, alright. Thank you." I walked out quickly, with my cheeks burning and whispering to myself about how embarassing that was.

Bono was waiting outside by the bus. Everyone else was probably in and ready to go. Good. He shielded his eyes against the sun. "Gee Lilly, you said 'quick', I..." I ran as fast as I could and jumped into his arms, nearly knocking him to the ground, but he stumbled and regained his balance. I pressed my nose to his. "Guess what?" He looked so pretty with the sunlight in his hair and making his eyes sparkle. "Ehhh...I don't know. I'm a horrible guesser! What?" I laughed. "I'm not pregnant." His eyes widened in confusion. "Lilly...what? What do you mean?" "Just what I said! I'm not pregnant. I got my period." He still looked confused. "So, that means that you're definitely not pregnant?" I snorted. "Boy, you need a biology lesson! Yes, that's what it means!" The same kind of relief that I felt washed over his face. "Oh, Lilly, I feel like every worry I ever had just disappeared into thin air." He kissed me hard and staggered a little bit. I squeezed my legs around him tighter and clutched the back of his head. Suddenly, everything was perfect. The black cloud that had been sitting over my head was gone, and nothing was threatening our happiness. The abrupt honking of the horn interrupted us mid-kiss, and Paul was waving wildly at us through the window.

"Couldn't you guys have made out in here? We're used to it by now," Adam said snarkily. I stuck my tongue out at him. "Well, I had to tell him something." "What?" I chuckled. "I love how you guys just feel entitled to know all of our business! But actually, it's important." There was a long pause. "WELL?!" I laughed and threw my arms in the air. "I'm not pregnant after all!" Silence. They looked curiously at me. "Wait, are you absolutely sure?" Edge asked. "Yes, I'm absolutely sure...this is good news, guys. You can cheer and stuff." "But...does that mean that you, well, lost it?" I hadn't thought of that. Could that be what happened? If so, did that mean I would never be able to have a child? I shook my head. "No, I think it was just a false positive. Those tests aren't exactly foolproof." Once I had given them the go-ahead, everyone seemed happy. But I felt that they were uneasy about appearing overjoyed, which made sense. I was overjoyed, though. I had been feeling absolutely miserable for the past several days, the prospect of having to tell my parents the least of my worries. Bono seemed to read my mind. "Good thing we hadn't told our parents yet, right? Now we can just forget this ever happened...because I was terrified, Lilly. I didn't want you to know that, but I was." I squeezed his hand. "But I already knew that, love. I could tell. And it was perfectly understandable. But now...yes, we can forget about it."

I curled up in Bono's lap. There was nothing for me to fret over. My mind was clear, and I was content. "Go to sleep, baby girl," he whispered soothingly. And so I did.

When I woke up, the angle of the sun had changed. Whether it was due to us having travelled many miles or several hours having passed, I didn't know. Everyone else was sleeping, and I was in a completely different position than I had been in when I fell asleep. I was laying across the seats and Bono was laying next to me, his steady breathing tickling my cheek. I was completely immobile. He really had a knack for falling asleep in wierd positions that made it impossible for me to move. I squirmed carefully, attempting to free my arm from under him. He stirred slightly and repositioned his head on my chest. My arm was still stuck, but at least now I could move my head. I stroked his hair with my free hand. It was soft and lovely. Out of nowhere, I felt a lump in my throat. I loved this boy so much that it made me cry. By now, I was used to being this overly emotional person. But I would never get used to the way Bono made me feel. It was too profound. I rubbed his ear with my thumb and pressed my lips to the top of his head. "I love you," I thought to myself. "I love you."

Back
Top Bottom