Seconds - Chapter 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WithoutSpeaking

Acrobat
Title: Seconds
Authors: GraceRyan & wo_speaking
Rating: PG13
Disclaimer: This didn't actually happen. U2 was not born until the 1960s.

Ava patted the back of her neck with a napkin as she gazed into the crowded bar. Sometime during her second set, there had been a turnover in the crowd - it was usual that the first shift had their fill of drink and a second shift moved in to close out the night.

One table remained constant - the one directly in front of her. Except for getting up for another round of drinks, no one moved from their prime spot. Lyneth was clearly smitten with Adam the pilot since she couldn’t remember a time when she’d seen her friend blush and toss her hair exactly the way she had taught her. Lyneth’s gaze stayed glued to his light blue eyes and movie star smile. Adam wasn’t the first potential suitor to rest his arm on the back of her chair, but he was certainly the most dashing to date.

A new face joined the table, a young woman with shorter dark hair and big eyes for David. Her chair scooted closer him as his body leaned away. When her hand touched him, he flinched uncomfortably, and this puzzled Ava - she was certainly pretty enough and had a lovely smile.

Paul managed to untangle himself from Linda to serve as a matchmaker for David and the girl with the big blue eyes. Or was he trying to steal her away? Ava noted that Paul was a shameless flirt as his eyes turned and smiled at everything in a skirt. If he was trying to impress this new girl, his charms were failing him miserably.

While Paul did all the talking, David’s gaze and attention was far off. Every so often, Paul would clap his hand on David’s shoulder to bring him back the conversation. Yet his attention returned to the giggling on the other side of the table with his despondent eyes looking upon the whispers and stolen touches passing between Adam and Lyneth.

The goofy grin and bright face from the other night had not come with David to the White Hart tonight. There was an agony behind his eyes as he twisted away from the new girl and watched Lyneth move farther away from him. Ava had an inkling that shy David’s eyes were only for Lyneth

“Okay, I have a few songs left,” Ava said to groans in the crowd. “I know, but I have to get my beauty sleep.”

A lewd comment came from the back of the pub. Paul’s head shot to glare in the general direction. Samuel, the pub lawmaker, clapped a large hand on the offending voice and roughly introduced him to the stone path outside.

Ava laughed at the round of applause the men offered. “You know, you get more bees with honey.” Her eyes lowered to Paul’s - his stomach fluttered. “Speaking of honey, I owe this airman a song for not only getting me a drink, but shooting down the enemy the other day. Paul, stand up and take a bow.”

Larry raised his eyebrows as Paul’s face flushed a deep red. Usually, it took a heavy night of drinking to bring about that color. Paul stood and raised a hand quickly to the roar of the crowd.

“This one is for you, darlin’,” her eyes locked on his.

Paul held perfectly still as he watched her sing for him. The first night, she sang for ‘her new Irish friends’. but this one was just for him. Her voice filled up the empty places within him. With Adam on the mend, they’d be flying again in a few days time. Facing death was never easy, but if that’s what the Lord decided, then that was it. Somehow knowing he’d be leaving this earth without knowing the pleasure of Ava made him reluctant to climb into that tiny bubble.

Somewhere over the rainbow
Bluebirds fly.
Birds fly over the rainbow.
Why then, oh why can't I?

If happy little bluebirds fly
Beyond the rainbow
Why, oh why can't I?

Lyneth had seen Ava dedicate many a song. Part of her job was to be a flirt, a pin up they could almost touch; and Ava was very aware of the fantasy she created for the men of her audience. Yet Lyneth noted that something in the way her eyes locked on the very vivacious Paul and the smile she offered him was a little different - a touch more intimate. Lyneth frowned as she stole a glance at Paul’s beaming face. Nothing about him seemed so special to her. Had Ava not seen him drape himself all over poor Linda only to cool his heels on the other side of the table when he thought something better came along? She thought her friend had more sense than that.

As Paul raised his glass to toast, Ava offered him a small curtsey and smile. She signaled the band to bring the tempo up for the next number.

Paul pressed his hand to his heart and looked to Larry. “She’s in love with me! Did you see that?”

Larry rolled his eyes. “She sang you a song, Paul. I didn’t hear that she wanted to have yer bleedin’ children.”

He leaned over with shining eyes. “Not yet, but it’s only,” he glanced at his watch, “a few days away. She is going to be my wife, mark my words.”

Larry groaned.

“I hope you’ll welcome her into the family, Lar,” Paul patted his back.

“I hope you won’t be hitting on your future sister in law,” Larry countered. “She’ll be a Hewson all right. Mrs. Lawrence Hewson.”

“Yer off yer head, Lardence,” Paul cackled.

David sighed heavily. “Will you both shut it? I am trying to listen.”

“No hard feelings, Lar,” Paul said seriously. “I want you to be my best man when I make that lovely lady my wife.”

“You have no intention of marrying her,” David spat irritably.

“What if I’m in love, Dave?” Paul slung an arm around him.

He pushed Paul’s arm. “The only person you’ve ever loved is yerself.”

Paul reeled back at David’s harsh words. What’s bugging him?

Larry poked his head in. “Exactly. No lady likes crabs as a wedding gift, Paul.”

Paul gave him a mostly playful shove. “Shut it. That was years ago back home.” His eyes slid back to the stage. “Besides, why would I need to ever stray from that?” He nodded. “Yes, Mrs. Paul Hewson has a lovely ring to it. Paul and Ava Hewson.”

“Oi! Shut up,” Adam sighed heavily. “She’s already bloody engaged!”

Paul looked at him confused. “Well, I haven’t asked yet, but that’s just a formality.”

“No, Paul, she is really engaged - as in to an American officer,” Adam said slowly so he could understand.

Lyneth nodded. “It’s true. She came over to England with him.”

“Why isn’t he here? What sort of man lets his beautiful fiancée out alone?” Suddenly, Paul was angry.

“He’s in North Africa now. He’s been stationed there since September,” Lyneth said.

“I guess that does toss a wrench into our plans to make her a Hewson,” Larry scratched his head.

Crossing his arms in front of his chest, Paul looked at Ava on the stage.

Engaged?

He looked to her hand for a sparkler that he might have missed - nothing but her smooth skin. Maybe he would die never knowing the pleasure of her. Her eyes met his once more, and the corners of her lips turned up with an arched eyebrow. He stroked his chin thoughtfully; she was a challenge for certain. He imagined going up against a long queue of suitors, but there was only one he was concerned about now. Maybe this fiancée was just a minor setback as he clearly had her attention. It would take a little more time and plotting, but he knew Ava would be worth it. That rock in her hips and curl of her lips - oh yes, she was the most worthy thing to do in this small town.

David rubbed his eyes as he peeked at his pocket watch. It was late and he was knackered beyond belief. In the course of the night, he watched the tiny sliver of light between Adam and Lyneth disappear into darkness matching the hole in his heart. David kissed her, right? Didn’t it mean anything to her? Maybe it had...but maybe she was embarrassed and didn’t want anything to do with him after his pathetic display the next day at the hospital. He longed to crawl in his bunk to pull the scratchy sheets over his head and breathe in the harsh soapy scent.

Feeling a hand on his shoulder, he nearly jumped out of his skin. After being pawed at by Leigh all night, he should be used to hands on him - but it still felt like an intrusion. He turned his head slightly to see Ava’s warm smile. Instantly, his shoulders relaxed.

“I’m sorry, darlin’,” she claimed the seat beside him. “Did I startle you?”

“I’m just tired and jumpy,” he sighed.

Ava had seen his forlorn look from the stage. He couldn’t look more uncomfortable as Leigh leaned into his side. “You should get home.”

“I have to wait for my friends,” he glanced around the bar.

Larry was off at the bar getting the last drinks of the night. Adam, well, he was occupied and lost in Lyneth’s large pools of endless brown. Paul had twisted his chair from the table, probably in an effort to lose Linda for good, to chat with some officers at the next table.

“Excuse me,” Leigh urged as she loomed over Ava who had claimed her seat beside David.

“Oh, I’m quite sorry.” Ava slid from the spot beside David to a chair across from him; her gaze not leaving Leigh’s hard blue eyes as she sat. She looked away as Leigh returned promptly to cooing over David.

“You’re back!” Paul chimed. He slid his chair close to hers. “You are stealth...”

Ava’s cold glare melted in his eyes. “I can be quiet as a mouse.”

“You did a lovely job on my song,” he dropped his voice. “Thank you.”

“I aim to please,” she said.

A shudder enveloped him thinking about that. “And you don’t disappoint.”

“Where’s your date?” she looked around the pub.

“My date? Oh, Lyneth’s friend?” He shrugged. “She must have gone home.”

“She left you all alone?” Ava teased.

He leaned closer. “I’m not alone right now.”

With his face this close, she could see a faint scar on his strong dimpled chin. She had no idea why she felt compelled to run a fingertip over it. His eyes were challenging and dangerous. She was very used to flirting, she had perfected the art. He was going to keep her on her toes while attempting to sweep her off her feet.

Ava knew his type though. She’d seen them waltz into the pub with a puffed up chest and leave with a different girl each night. They usually had several girls batting their eyelashes at them, and just used them for one thing. Sure, they were charming - but that was it - no substance. She wasn’t convinced that Paul was one of those men, but she saw his potential to be. He got away with a lot thanks to that brilliant and devilish smile.

Larry dropped a round of drinks on the table thus ending their staring contest. Casually, Paul dropped his arm around the back of her chair as if it belonged there. He considered asking about this bloke Ava was betrothed to marry. Granted, she had not lied about being engaged - yet she chose to not mention that as his leg pressed against hers and he leaned close to talk with his lips brushing her ear. These were things that a girl preparing to marry did not allow. So, how far could he get with Miss Ava Carmichael?

David shook his head watching Paul drape himself across Ava like a cat. After all, she was taken and Paul was well aware of it now. Shameless, David scowled. He pretended to be interested in the conversation between Ava, Paul and Larry while he tried very hard to ignore Leigh. She sat back and watched everyone around while her eyes seemed to dissect him. It was excruciatingly uncomfortable under her gaze.

Meanwhile at the other end of the table, true love bloomed with titters and touches. He strained to hear their hushed conversation over the din of the pub.

Adam looked at his watch. The night would be drawing to a close soon. “I'd like to see you again without all this distraction, so I can focus on just you.”

Lyneth’s cheeks flushed. “I'd like that very much.”

The color drained from David’s face. This is not happening, please no, he pleaded.

“Perhaps a little dinner and dancing? Some place quiet,” Adam purred in Lyneth’s ear.

“I don't believe I've ever been dancing since I've arrived here,” Lyneth said.

“That's a crime,” Adam’s eyes took in her figure in with careful consideration. “I'll bet you are a divine dancer.”

David closed his eyes as the room spun like a child’s toy. Leigh snaked an arm around the back of his chair while her free hand rested above his knee. David thought for certain that he’d be ill at the table.

Ava’s attention was drawn from Paul and Larry’s teasing towards David’s pallid complexion. Leigh looked like a hungry cat digging her claws into her prey. His green eyes flicked over to Adam’s arm wrapped securely around Lyneth as their voices hushed to whispers.

“How soon can I whisk you out for a night on a dance floor somewhere?” Adam asked.

“As soon as you like,” Lyneth cooed back. She touched his injured leg. “Are you sure you are up to dancing?”

“If we slow dance, yes,” Adam breathed.

Ava saw David collapse with each word. “Dave, would you mind getting another round?”

David’s head snapped up. “Um, sure?”

“If you need something, love, I can get it for you,” Paul said.

“You can stay right here,” she winked.

With a satisfied smile on his lips, he settled in beside Ava. David tossed one more glance back at Lyneth with her chocolate hair falling across her shoulders. He couldn’t catch a single glance from those brown eyes.

“Could you get me a water, Dave?” Leigh clasped his arm tightly.

“Uh, of course,” he nodded dutifully.

Ava watched David wind his way to the bar. Leigh turned her attention to David’s friends as if looking for their approval.

“Paul, I hear you’re a gunner. That must be rather exciting. How do you know Dave?” Leigh asked.

You aren’t very subtle, Ava noted.

“Oh Dave and I go way back,” Paul answered. He felt it was his job to make David look amazing in this girl’s eyes since she had taken a shine to him for some reason. “We went to secondary together with Larry. I’m actually a little older than them.” Paul launched into a long winded tale about their teen years.

“If you’ll excuse me,” Ava said quietly.

“Wha - wait? Where are you running off?” Paul broke his concentration.

She patted his head. “To powder my nose.”

“Your nose looks perfect to me,” he cocked an eyebrow.

Larry rolled his eyes. His brother was relentless. Usually, he only needed a little charm to get into a girl’s knickers. Tonight, Paul was using his entire arsenal to woo Ava.

“Aren’t you sweet. I’ll be back before you miss me,” she said.

He sighed heavily as he watched her hips sway as she walked away. “Too late...I already do.”

Larry kicked him under the table. “You’re acting like a twat.”

“What?” Paul growled.

“Yer making an arse of yerself. This is desperate; not charming. And didn’t you fecking hear Lyneth? She’s spoken for. You should really respect that,” Larry crossed his arms in front of his chest.

“Lar, I’m having a bit of fun. Do you see her complaining? No. We’re just messin’ with each other. Having a bit of craic. No harm,” Paul shrugged.
“Just watch yerself,” Larry grumbled.

Paul shrugged off his brother’s warning. As far as he was concerned, things were going quite well for him.

Ava saw David lean against the bar with a fixed gaze into the distance. He looked beaten by the world.

She touched his shoulder. “Hello Dave.”

He started from his daze. “Was I taking too long?” He’d yet to even attempt to engage the bartender, thankful for the bit of peace he had leaning against the bar.

“Honey, are you okay? You look almost peaked," Ava’s eyes were almost calming the angry sea within him. “Is that girl bothering you?”
“She’s okay,” he mumbled. “I guess.”

“If she's bothering you, I can have her taken care of,” Ava offered.

David looked confused then startled as he thought of the mob movies he’d seen at the theatre in town.

Ava chuckled. “Oh, not like that. Not killed.”

Dave didn’t want to embarrass her like she had embarrassed him. “She’s fine.”

“Are you sure, sugar? I hate to see you look so uncomfortable,” she said.

David smiled. Not many girls were nice to him outside of work. Even most of the nurses rolled their eyes as David spoke in his low voice to them. Yet with Ava, he didn’t feel weird or awkward.

“It’s just very hot in here and I’m knackered,” he shrugged.

Leigh was okay, but he felt ambivalent about her. If Adam wasn’t draped all over Lyneth right in front of him, perhaps he might enjoy the female attention, but his heart ached for Lyneth.

He’d arrived at Uxbridge with Paul and Larry shortly before his 22nd birthday, having completed his basic training at Pirbright. He’d been assigned to Uxbridge to continue his medical training at Hillingdon hospital, an arrangement between the British Army and the Royal Air Force.

It was on his arrival at Hillingdon that he first saw Nurse Lyneth Morgan.

He remembered it being a particularly warm day, and he was cursing his Warrant Officer under his breath for making him wear a tie.

It’s absolutely essential to put your best foot forward, Private Evans...

Matron Wright regarded him with the eye of a skeptic as she methodically ran down a lengthy list of his duties. He felt significantly more like an orderly than a member of the army, but he supposed he had to start somewhere. It was as though he'd left a bit of himself in her office - his pride perhaps.

He stood outside her door after being dismissed, watching wide-eyed as everyone bustled around him. They all had purpose and method - rushing about to tend to bed upon bed of the injured. He felt like a fraud wearing his lab coat in the company of real nurses and doctors of medicine. After all, he was just a bottom-ranking member of the British Army, but that day marked the beginning of his military career as a member of the Royal Army Medical Corps.

Pausing before entering the larger room, he felt caged by the imposing pale green walls of Ward 6, knowing this would soon become part of his daily routine.

He was not ready for the sight of her; the sunlight spilling through the dirty tall windows behind her, surrounding her in a perfect golden halo. She nodded her head with a smile as she moved towards a soldier lying in the bed before her.

He was sure that she could hear his heart racing inside him. He'd seen plenty of girls - after all he was often in the company of his friend Paul - but none of them ever piqued his interest or raised his blood pressure. Perhaps he was coming down with a flu? He felt dizzy, shaking and warm.

She turned to face him and he watched with shy interest as the most amazing set of chocolate eyes took him in slowly.

"Excuse me," her voice was a symphony in his ears - her accent felt like home.

"Could you please give me a hand here?"

His feet felt rooted in the doorway. Help her - how? He opened his mouth and prayed that he would be momentarily possessed by Paul and something winning and clever would fall out.

"I-I-I...ehm...."

Another man in a matching lab coat pushed past him. "Whadya need, Lyneth?"

"Can you help me to get him to sit up?" she asked, her eyes sliding off of him and her attention once again focused on the task at hand.

He’d felt so foolish. He didn't take the opportunity to introduce himself or worse, to offer her any kind of assistance. In a flash, he left Ward 6 and pressed his back against the cool cement of the hallway.

If he’d only been able to do something other than stand and stare at her like a timid mouse, he might be the one feeling the warmth of her arm against his at the table.

“David?” he heard a gentle voice far away.

Blinking his eyes, he saw Ava standing before him with concern. “I’m sorry. I
should probably go.”

“Dave, I’d rather her leave than you,” Ava said.

He smiled down into her kind eyes. “I’m not much company tonight, I’m afraid. Would you mind saying my goodbyes? Paul will just talk me into another, and I’m really not up to it.” He looked beyond Ava as Adam’s lips brushed Lyneth’s cheek.

Ava was well aware where David’s eyes searched. “Of course I will.” She reached up and placed a small kiss on his cheek.

“Ehm....Thanks, Ava,” David said. It was really too bad she was engaged to another - he could really see she was perfect for Paul. “Good night.”

He couldn’t look in the direction of Adam and Lyneth, as he was sure that she hadn’t even noticed that he was even here.

Paul turned back to the table with a frown settled on his face. Did he just see Ava and David talking - and then she kissed him? What did a guy have to do get some attention from her?

“What are you sulking about, Paul?” Adam teased.

Paul was never good at keeping his emotions veiled. “I’m thirsty. Where the hell is Dave?”

Ava reappeared from the crowd with a drink for him and a water for herself. “Here, darlin’. Miss me?”

He flashed a brilliant smile at her. “Of course I did. Each minute apart was an eternity.”

She lowered her eyes. “Really?” He knew how to lay it on so thick, she wondered if he was ever sincere with a woman.

Leigh cleared her throat bringing the attention to the table that she was still there. “Where’s Dave?”

“I think he left,” Ava immediately felt sorry for the young girl across from her. “He said he was tired.”

Larry frowned. “He left without us? That’s not like him.”

Leigh stood. “If you’ll excuse me.”

“Well, that was a short-lived romance,” Larry chuckled, watching Leigh leave in a huff. Ava knew that David would be long gone by now.

Paul shook his head, questioning David’s choice to leave a beautiful girl like Leigh all alone. He was hopeless.

He turned his attention back to Ava - she was a woman that he would never walk out on.

“You know, with Adam on the mend, we’ll be flying again soon,” he said sullenly.

“Do you often fly into danger?” she asked.

He nodded. “It seems to happen more often. Like the other day, that fighter came out of nowhere.”

Ava saw a trace of anxiety in Paul’s eyes. Behind all the bravado was just another scared young man. “With you at the gun and Adam flying the plane, I’m sure you’ll do just fine.”

She closed her hand over his. In a rare act of affection, he ran his thumb over her hand. He always regarded himself a bit of a daredevil when it came to taking to the air. After their near miss, he felt mortality knocking on his door. Now with the entrance of Ava into his orbit, life felt a little more precious.

“Oh Paul,” Adam laughed, “it’s not as though we just returned from bombing Berlin...”

“But we could have...” he shot back defensively.

Ava squeezed Paul’s hand. "The enemy is the enemy whether it be over Germany or closer to home. Personally, I feel safer knowing you are keeping us all safe."

Lyneth eyed Ava's hand over Paul’s after noting that it had lingered there for quite a long time.

“I’m just happy that everyone made it home safely, and mostly in one piece” Lyneth smiled, her eyes meeting Adam’s as she spoke.

“Oi! Time, please, ladies and gents!” the barkeep shouted, clanging the bell over the bar to signal the beginning of drinking up time.

Larry rolled his eyes at all the romantic glances passing between Lyneth and Adam; he wasn't certain what had passed between Paul and Ava.

"It's late lads. Let's find a way home," he slammed his empty glass on the table.

Paul felt the weight of the conversation sitting heavily on his shoulders and a feeling that he couldn't quite shake. Ava had removed her hand from his and he was aware of its absence. Before he could move, Larry had helped her from her chair.

"Can I see you boys out?" she asked as she looped her arm around Larry's.

Paul appeared at her other side. "I was hoping you would."

Adam chuckled. "He's a shameless flirt."

"He's shameless, all right," Lyneth muttered under her breath.

She watched as Paul pressed himself into Ava's side. She shook her head in disgust.

The night air had a certain chilly bite compared to the humid pub air.

"You'll catch your death out here," Larry turned to Ava with concern.

"Then we will have to make our goodnight short and sweet," Ava smiled as goosebumps raised on her arms.

Adam helped Lyneth into her wool coat. "It is quite chilly. I'd hate for my nurse to fall ill."

"You'd have to care for me," Lyneth's eyes shined up at him.

"There are far worse things I could do than feed you chicken soup," he closed her coat around her.

Ava was impressed with Lyneth’s flirty banter. She turned to Larry and kissed his cheek. “Goodnight Larry.”

Even in the dark, Paul could see Larry’s face turn crimson. “Goodnight Miss Ava.”

“And Paul,” she took in a deep breath as she turned to him.

He took her hand in his. “I probably won’t see you for a few weeks, so take care of yourself. I look forward to hearing you sing when I’m back safely on the ground.”

“I’ll have a special song for when you come home,” she promised.

Home, Paul considered. That one word had not meant much to him in recent years, but hearing her say it gave it new meaning.

He pressed his lips to the back of her hand. “I can’t wait.”

“Be safe, Paul,” she reached up and pressed her lips to his left cheek - close to the corner of his mouth. He swore he felt an electric shock where her lips touched.

“I must be getting some shut eye,” Lyneth interrupted them as Paul glanced over at her, slightly annoyed. Lyneth wasn’t wanting to leave Adam just yet, but she knew it was for the best. “I’ve got an early day tomorrow.”

“You’re not walking home alone now, are you?” Adam looked at her with concern.

“Oh no, certainly not,” she answered. “There are a few of us here from Hillingdon tonight - I’ll catch a lift with one of the girls.”

“That puts my mind at ease,” Adam smiled up at her, his hand closing over hers as he lifted her hand to his lips, kissing it softly as he bowed gently. “As long as I’m not in the air, might I see you again next Friday evening?”

“I’d like that. Very much so.”

“We can start the night off with a drink here if you’d like - I assume you’ll be here? How does half-seven sound?”

“It sounds wonderful, Adam. Just wonderful.”

Lyneth smiled shyly, her hand still in his and her heart skipping a beat as she regarded him.

“I’m going to take you dancing, so wear some suitable shoes,” he joked. “None of those silly heels the girls are so fond of. They’re horrendous for dancing.”

“I’ll make sure she has some dancing shoes,” Ava promised, smiling at both Larry and Paul - she was very pleased indeed about the blooming relationship between Lyneth and Adam.

Paul forced a smile, wishing that he could take Ava dancing, not worrying about the man she was set to marry.

They said their last goodbyes, more than one of them with their head in the clouds.

Paul is annoying me...

Well, then our goal has been achieved - you're not supposed to love everyone right off the hop... stay tuned and tell us what you think of Paul when we're done... :up:

Wasn't that revealed in the last chapter?

Yes but no one has mentioned it yet.

We have a lot more emotion to come yet - we haven't forgotten that these boys are in a war. :sad:

:sad: Bugger. Shame I won't actually be able to read it until two weeks from now. Ah well, at least you'll cater your other fans. :D

Some proofreading and more writing needs to be done for the next chapter, but in the meantime thought I would share some background about this world we've written.

The White Hart is a real pub and was around during the war - here it stands today. It's actually so old that it has a roundabout named after it...
The White Hart, Northolt, United Kingdom - Google Maps

Here's the Coach & Horses:
hillingdon - Google Maps

RAF Northolt still exists but now used mainly as an executive airport
hillingdon - Google Maps

RAF Uxbridge was closed in 2010
raf uxbridge - Google Maps

Hillingdon Hospital is also real and existed back then as well:
hillingdon hospital - Google Maps

Figured those of you following the story might want to know that it is set in a real-life location - the Uxbridge/Hillingdon area West of London - just north of Heathrow airport. So next time you fly into London, remember the boys. :up::heart:

Back
Top Bottom