Seconds - Chapter 12

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GraceRyan

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB

Title: Seconds
Authors: GraceRyan & wo_speaking
Rating: PG13
Disclaimer: This didn't actually happen. U2 was not born until the 1960s.

Comments are like fluffy kittens and puppies in a field of wildflowers on a sunny day

Mary noticed Paul's interest slip through her fingers as the night went on. When he approached her group of friends, she was certain that he would ask one of her friends for a dance. She was shocked when his azure eyes locked on her and his hand was extended. After their initial snogging session, she knew she had moved too fast. Splitting a bottle of wine with the other nurses had been mistake as her head was fuzzy and morals loose. Yet as Paul's attention chilled, the whiskey warmed her insides.

"Do you want to take a walk?" Her fingers grazed his hair that curled up on the back of his collar.

How could he decline gently after they had intimate knowledge of each others lips?

"Maybe later," he said. He couldn't stop staring after Ava, now dancing with David. They were engaged in a fairly intense conversation with only a few inches between them. Ava gave David one of her winning smiles and Paul wanted to punch a wall. David had said there was nothing romantic between them, but it didn't look very platonic either.

Mary returned to talking about her position at Hillingdon, and it sounded familiar to Paul. If Ava had not turned up, he would have feigned interest and looked for an opportunity to make off with her. His randiness had been doused by Ava and her blue dress. If she was in his arms, he would have a perfect view of those breasts pressed against his chest. How did David keep his eyes on only her face with all that temptation right there?

"Your friends are very nice," Mary followed his gaze.

"Yes, they are," he smiled weakly.

"Are they a couple?" She asked about David and Ava.

"No. Dave is not a couple with anyone," Paul remarked.

"Is he...you know .....queer?" Mary whispered.

Paul shook his head. "No, he’s just afraid of girls."

Mary looked over her shoulder. "He doesn't appear to be afraid of her."

Paul chewed on the inside of his cheek, desperate to know what they were discussing. David had said that he 'put in a good word' with Ava. Looked like he was just making himself comfortable now.

Without an invitation, Mary nestled her head against his chest. This was her first real mixer with servicemen. She loved the scent of the wool uniforms and everything they represented. Her girlfriend told her this was the place to find a husband since there were no more able and good men back home in Birmingham. Her first night and she already landed Paul.

Paul cringed as Ava's eyes caught on his, an amused smile on her lips. He knew he only had himself to blame for tonight's outcome. He hoped that he would get just one dance with Ava., but right now, Mary was starting to doze off on his shoulder and she was heavy in his arms.

"Let's get you some water," he shook her a little. "And a seat."

With a strong arm, he guided her back to the table. He couldn't remember buying her many drinks, but Mary was clearly quite tipsy. He eased her into a chair beside Larry.

"You gettin' us more drinks, love?" she gazed up.

"Sure," Paul said. "I'll be right back."

"I'll take wine," Mary called after him.

With a nod, Paul was off to the bar. Larry frowned. If Paul wanted her drunk, she was already there. One more drink could land her in the lav, chucking up that beautiful dinner.

Paul leaned against the bar; he was no hurry to get back to Mary at the moment. What started out as a promising night had dwindled to a babysitting gig. David and Ava were still on the dance floor laughing, and Paul resigned himself to the sad truth that he may not get a dance with her after all.

"What are ye after?" The bartender asked.

"Whiskey and a water," he said.

"Mixed?"

"No...glass of whiskey and a glass of water," he glanced back at the table. Mary was at least upright.

"Great party, eh Hewson?" Nigel slapped Paul's back hard enough to cause a cough.

"Tis grand, isn't it?" The last thing Paul wanted was for Nigel to know what a shite time he was having. "How are you doing tonight?"

Nigel sneered. "I'm taking my time. You know, the night is too early to settle on just one bird."

Paul was certain that was at his expense. "Sometimes when you strike early, you get gold and not the leftovers."

"Really? She's a firecracker then?" Nigel looked over his shoulder.

"Oh for certain. Amazing lips," he nodded.

"Good on you, mate," Nigel nodded tersely.

"You better get a move on. All the good ones will be snatched." Paul would say anything to end the conversation.

"Looks like that Ava has taken a shine to your mute friend. Guess he's not so mute with her though, is he?" Nigel nudged him.

Paul swallowed the first words in his head. If Nigel knew his feelings, he'd make a beeline to Ava. If he couldn't dance with Ava, he sure as hell wasn't going to let Nigel have another go.

"Who knows? Maybe Dave possesses a charm we do not see," he shrugged.

"If so, he got the fecking prize," Nigel muttered. "Right...I'm off."

Paul sighed in relief and hoped the bartender would take his time. He didn't relish nursing Mary into a sober state or coming across Nigel again. Soon, his drinks were set in front of him. He paid the barkeep a little extra - there was no need for everyone to have a shite night. His eyes scanned the dance floor for Ava and David, but it was too crowded to find them. Adam and Lyneth were nestled into each other - they looked blissful. He had thought settling with one girl had been foolish for Adam. However, Paul had spent the entire night thinking only of Ava. Was he just as bad as Adam? Or, in fact, worse? After all, Adam was actually kissing his girl.

When Paul returned to the table, Larry was alone. "Where is she?"

Larry shrugged. "Said she needed the loo."

Paul placed the water in front of where she was sitting.

"Is that vodka?" Larry eyed the clear liquid.

"Jaysus no. It's water. She doesn't need vodka," Paul scoffed.

"Right, you want them a little messy but not a complete basket case. Otherwise it's like screwing a doll, right?" Larry's voice dripped with sarcasm.

Paul was aware that Larry never approved of his skirt chasing ways. He glared across the table. "I'm trying to sober her up so she can get home, you shit. I only bought her two drinks. I had no idea she was that soft."

"I noticed your tune changed the moment Ava walked in," Larry chuckled. "She's an excellent dancer, by the way."

"I'm sure that she is," Paul growled. "How long has Mary been gone?"

"Maybe ten or fifteen minutes."

Part of Paul was worried, while the other half was happy to be rid of her if she took off. Should he look for her? It was the very last thing he wanted to do, but guilt struck him. He should make one round and if he just happened to encounter Ava first, well it was God shining his divine light.

“And this, is Lyneth. We’ve been seeing each other for a few weeks now. She nursed me back to health when we took fire in the Bird last month when I was at Hillingdon.”

Adam had a smile ear to ear as he introduced her to the group of high-ranking RAF officers. He had spoken briefly about his aspirations to move up in the ranks, but just as she began to inquire more about it, he’d change the subject. She could tell that he was a bit uneasy around some of them - becoming an officer in the RAF was a real boys club, and she wasn’t sure Adam was quite ready to play.

“Very pleased to meet you, Lyneth,” Nigel said as he bowed to her, taking her hand in his as he kissed it gently. “The name’s Nigel. Officer Taylor to this lot, but you can call me Nigel, love...”

She blushed a deep shade as he made a spectacle of it - she’d never been around people of his ilk, unless they were gravely ill.
"Adam, my boy...where have you been hiding this flower?" Nigel purred.

Adam wrapped a protective arm around Lyneth pressing her to his side. "Away from wolves like you."

"Adam, we're all mates here," Nigel's voice dripped with sweetness.

"Right," Adam nodded tersely. He hoped that one day Paul would flatten Officer Taylor in a match and that he was there to witness it.

Nigel's eyes caught on Paul's date leaving the loo with a dazed look in her eye.

"If you'll excuse me, I see a damsel in distress," he bowed to Lyneth. "Lovely to meet you."

“Nigel was awfully nice,” Lyneth said, smiling to Adam as they walked away from the group.

Adam met her with an exaggerated eye-roll and a sigh.

“If you only knew, Lyn... sometimes you have to play their game. Let’s have a dance, love,” he said, taking her hand and leading her to the dance floor.

Ava found Paul alone at the table with his chair facing the dance floor. With his arms crossed, he watched the couples sway intently. Clearly, he was looking for someone, but was it her, or Mary?

"Why Paul....did they leave you all alone?" she asked, claiming the seat beside him.

He was delightfully surprised to see her. "I thought you left before I could wish you a Happy Christmas. "

"I wouldn’t steal away like that," she lowered her eyes. "Where is your date?"

"Mary? She's not my date,” Paul said. “And, I'm not sure."

"She monopolized your time....I just assumed you were together," Ava's tone was playful.

"I'm not with her," he leaned closer. "I did look for her once. It was the gentlemanly thing to do, but I think she abandoned me."

"Oh, poor Paul," she cooed.

"I wasn't exactly sad," he said. "I was a bit relieved to be truthful."

"That's not very nice," she shook her head.

"I was just desperate to have one dance with you."

His voice was serious.

"I knew it would be wrong to ask in front of her."

"This is true," she settled back in her chair.

Swiftly, he dropped to his knee before her. "But I'm alone now. Please Ava, will you honour me by giving me one dance?"

Her heart thundered as she swallowed calmly. "Since you asked so nicely, yes, I will dance with you, Paul."

His face lit up for the first time all night. Taking her hand, he pressed his lips against the warmth. "Thank you."

Pulling himself up, he brought her gently to her feet. His mouth was dry as he guided her through the throngs of swaying couples. One arm wrapped tightly around her slender waist pressing her to him, and he was dizzy with her perfume. Being so close, he noticed the spray of freckles across her milky shoulders, spreading to her collarbone and downward. He swallowed hard as his eyes plunged lower to the crease of her breasts. Biting the inside of his cheek, he thought of her lying naked on her floral bedspread and kissing every last freckle.

He cleared his throat. "You and Dave seemed rather cozy."

Ava grinned. "Really? I thought we were just dancing, like we are now."

"Looked a little more intense than that," Paul let the envy slip in his voice.

"Jealous?"

"Maybe a little," he admitted.

She looked up into his eyes. "Do you really not notice anything that goes on around you?"

His brow furrowed. "What do you mean?"

"I think if you really paid attention to Dave you would see that he has absolutely no interest in me," Ava said.

"He talks to you - and he never talks to women," he said.

"And you think all of sudden he became a smooth operator for me? Paul, he is comfortable with me because I pose no threat. He's not trying to impress me." She shook her head. "It's not me that he wants."

"What are you suggesting....." Paul wasn't sure what she was trying to say.

"Watch him," Ava urged.

Paul found David back at the table alone. The smile he bore earlier had disappeared, leaving only sadness in his eyes. His cheek leaned against the palm of his hand as his eyes focused on the dance floor, but he wasn't watching Paul and Ava. Paul followed David's gaze directly to Lyneth and Adam sharing a kiss. David had a white knuckled grip on his pint glass. Paul looked from Lyneth to David.

"You mean Lyneth?" He asked. Ava nodded. "Are you certain?"

"I know for a fact. What do you think we were talking about the night we put up the tree?" Ava said.

Paul shook his head in amazement.

“Clearly he knows that are Adam and Lyneth are solid..."

"Oh, he is well aware, but the heart wants what it wants," she shrugged.

He gazed down at her. "Yes, it does."

Paul understood all too well what it was like to want someone he couldn't have. Ava's neck looked so inviting to his lips. Being this close was heaven and hell. The curve of her bosom begged for his fingers to feel what laid underneath the silky fabric.

"Enjoying the view?" An amused smiled tugged at the corners of her mouth.

"Very much so," he answered huskily. She laughed. "I'll show you mine if you show me yours."

"That's hardly a fair trade," she clucked.

"Don't you know what I'm referring to?" he challenged.

"Behave, you," she said as the song ended.

"One more song," his eyes pleaded. "I've waited all night for this."

"Of course," she smiled.

Paul hoped the next song would go on forever so she'd never leave his arms. God, what was happening to him? He gave up a done deal with Mary to spend ten minutes in Ava's arms. As he held her closer, there was no comparison.

"Paul, it appears that your date has seemingly run off with someone else," Ava nodded a few feet from them.

Paul turned his head to see Nigel and Mary with locked arms and lips. He smiled to himself. Nigel probably thought he had ruined Paul’s night by stealing his girl. He should thank Nigel for setting him free - he was exactly where he longed to be.

"Huh. I didn't think to look down Nigel's throat for her," Paul mused. "I guess I'm not a great dancer."

"I wouldn't agree with that, darlin. You haven't trampled my feet yet," Ava chuckled.

"Then I guess I'm a crap kisser," he looked in her eyes. "Maybe you can tell me otherwise." He raised an eyebrow. "Or provide lessons. I'm certain you are amazing."

Ava felt the blood rush to her cheeks. "I'm sure you are more than capable."

He looked above his head at the green and red decoration over them. "We are under the mistletoe. It would be a sin against Christmas if we didn't kiss."

"Okay, for the sake of Christmas," she reached up and kissed his cheek.

"Just the cheek, Ava?" His eyes bore into her.

"A kiss is a kiss," she said. "You know, mistletoe is deadly if you eat it."

"A kiss is just as deadly if you mean it," he said against her ear.

"Did you mean it with Mary?" she asked.

"No, I didn't," he answered soberly.

She smiled gratefully. "Just checking.”

His hand moved further up her back pressing her closer. His thumb caressed the silky skin of her back as she curled into him. Resting his head against hers, he whispered, “I forgot to tell you how beautiful you are tonight.”

Ava closed her eyes listening to his voice rumble against his chest. She could never tire of the soft lilt in his voice. The way he said ‘noothing’ made her weak in the knees and was so different from the men back home. Why was she letting him get this close to her? His smile and eyes never failed to stop her heart. You’re being silly, she thought. You’re just lonely. Yet around Paul, she didn’t even think of home or Richard, being in the moment with Paul was far more enticing and exciting. He had kissed many a girl - some of them were probably at the party now. She knew his lips would feel extraordinary. I cannot let that happen, or there may be no turning back.

As the song ended, he breathed into in her ear, "One more?"

She pulled away. "I don't think that's wise."

He understood - there were many eyes at the party, and they were closer than they should be.

"Let's go back to the table then," His fingers wrapped tenderly around her hand.

David's gaze switched to them walking toward him, and he smiled. They both wore blushes and small grins. Paul pulled out a chair for Ava and gave her shoulder a small squeeze before taking the seat beside her. As much as he wanted to place his arm around her shoulder, he kept a reasonable distance from her.

"So Ava, what will you be doing this Christmas?" he asked.

"Lyneth is staying with me so we will both have some company. Later, I'll be going to the hospitals to sing for the men," she said. "After, I'm cooking Christmas dinner for some of the girls.”

"I'll be at Hillingdon on Christmas," David hoped Lyneth would be working.

“And you, Paul?”

"Probably just come home from a mission. Rumor has it we fly Christmas Eve. The war knows no holidays," Paul sighed.

"That's terrible," Ava shook her head. "Looks like we're all away from our families."

Paul didn't really miss his father too much. In the months leading to his departure to England, he didn't see much of the man. When he did, his old man was drunk and combative. Paul knew it was time him and Larry were far as they could be from the abusive bastard once and for all.

"I guess we can make our own little family," he leaned closer. "It's a shame we can’t come round to your flat for dinner. I'll bet it's much better than the fare they're rolling out for us."

Ava laughed at his shameless search for an invitation. "I've never made a roast, so we shall see." A part of her wanted to have them over for the holiday. Trimming the tree had been so cozy and wonderful. The thought of being tucked into Paul warmed her. "We're doing a special show for Boxing Day at the White Hart. Y'all should come to that."

"Definitely. It's a date," Paul grinned. He liked knowing exactly when he would see her again.

David sighed heavily, it seemed he could not escape Lyneth and Adam tonight. Adam pulled Lyneth away from the dance floor - perhaps to look for somewhere more private.

Ava watched him fidget and pull at the collar of his shirt. The glow of his dance earlier had worn away. A few men had stopped by the table to ask her to dance, and she declined politely, claiming that her shoes were the culprit. She was rather content to sit beside Paul; he finally felt brave enough to rest his arm on the back of her chair, allowing his fingers to brush her skin occasionally.

David didn't have much to drink but his head hurt nonetheless. He rubbed his eyes while he prayed for the night to end quickly. He longed to pull the scratchy sheets over his head and dream about his dance with Lyneth.

"Dave, I would love another dance with you," Ava leaned forward.

He was startled as she seemed very comfortable chatting with Paul. He looked to Paul for silent permission. After all, the poor guy had waited to be with Ava all night. With a wink, Paul removed his arm and turned to Larry.

"I'd love a dance," David smiled warmly.

With a grateful nod to Paul, he took Ava's hand to lead her through a sea of jealous eyes. Admittedly, he enjoyed the others gawking at them. He felt a little more sure footed with Ava than Lyneth. It was like dancing with a close friend rather than the beautiful woman that she was.

"I see you and Paul made up," David teased.

Ava cocked an eyebrow. "Pardon?"

“I saw the two of you dancing rather close,” David said.

“You can be just as tenacious as your friend Paul, you know that?” she shook her head with a laugh.

“I just like seeing you both happy,” David shrugged.

“The same goes for you too, sugar,” she said softly. “I hate to see you looking so sad. You have such a nice smile. Mama always said that you catch more bees with honey.”

“I’m not looking to attract bees.”

She curled her hand on the back of his neck. “I know. The more you get out there, the more attention you attract. The women here do not know what they are missing," she glanced around the room. They had the attention of both the men and women as they swayed.

“Is that why you asked me to dance?” he asked.

“I find you to be an exceptional dancer,” she smiled.

“Better than Paul?” He found that hard to believe.

“A different dancer. You have amazing rhythm and precision. Did you take lessons?” For as shy as he was, he moved her around perfectly.

“Of sorts. I took lessons with a cousin. It was rather embarrassing to be honest, but I remembered a few steps,” he glanced at his feet. “You saw that dancing they did earlier. You know, I think they call it jive?”

“Oh, swing dancing. Though tonight was less swing and more jive. What about it?”

“It’s very interesting. Do you do it back home?” he asked.

“If you ask my parents, no I do not,” she smiled wickedly. “However, I have been flipped around like a pancake in my day.”

David chuckled. It was hard to picture the regal Ava being flipped around and moving in such a suggestive manner. However, that sparkle in her eye let him know that she was not telling tall tales.

“Not many places do it here.” He pictured wrapping his arms around Lyneth as he tossed her over his shoulder - her hair bouncing around her face.

“It’s frowned on at home still so I imagine it’s just not done here,” she said.

“I’m sure someplace does it. If I find it, I’ll let you know.”

“Only if you come with me,” she noticed eyes on them. “Shh....we’re being watched.”

It was true, a few girls gathered at the edge of the dance floor and whispered behind their hands. He wished he could be excited about their tittering and smiles. It did feel nice to not be invisible for once. When he went out with the boys, he tended to fade into the background. Larry had the brooding good looks of a movie star. Adam exuded a cool sophistication without batting an eye. And Paul was walking charm. He might not have his brothers looks, but more women gravitated to him than the other three. Even now, Paul held court at what once was an empty table. His mood had improved greatly once Mary was taken of. Now that he could focus on Ava, he beamed. Even though he was the center of attention telling another story, he kept one eye on Ava - ready to pounce if another man made any attempt towards her.

As the song ended, David bowed to Ava. "Thank you. I do feel a little better."

"Good," she looped her arm around his. "And you saved me from dancing with a drunk serviceman with wandering hands."

"I thought you already had dance with Paul," he tittered.

She slapped him playfully. "He actually was quite a gentleman. He must not be feeling well."

Lyneth looked from Adam to see David and Ava return in a fit of giggles. He was handsome when he smiled, she thought briefly. Gently, David led Ava to the chair beside Paul, even though there were vacant seats. Paul looked up as they rejoined the table. 

"Always a pleasure," Ava said.

It didn't take more than a minute for Paul to slide his arm around Ava again. "Maybe we can fit in one more dance..."

As Ava was about to accept one more chance to press against him, the music stopped completely.

"Okay everyone," the bandleader called. "Let's get everyone up here for one last song."

"I guess that dance will have to wait," Ava purred.

"Come on," he took her hand to lead her to large circle forming at the center of the room. He looked to the rest of the table. "Everyone."

Larry rolled his eyes as he followed behind Adam and Lyneth.

Though they’d kept from playing any Christmas songs for the majority of the night, the band suddenly began the familiar refrain of "Hark The Herald Angels Sing".

It seemed that everyone in the place had found their way to the dance floor, a majestic chorus of servicemen, nurses and local woman. The tables on the side emptied as arms entwined and linked in two large circles.

The tones from Paul's voice lifted above the others as he sang in her ear, his low husky voice wrapping around her. His eyes locked with hers as they sang to each other. She could listen to him all night as she watched his lips form the words, a smile residing there. A kiss is deadly if you mean it, she thought. Certain that eyes might be watching, she looked away flushed.

If David looked over Paul and Ava, he could see Lyneth clinging to Adam. All he needed was a glance to turn his stomach. He was being foolish for feeling this way after watching them all night; before Adam came along, David spent his days dreaming about how he would start that first conversation. He would always come up with something witty to make her head throw back in laughter, and she would touch his arm as their eyes met.

Just as soon as he’d start into that fantasy, David would hear his name called from a distance. The hospital sounds came into focus and Lyneth had only walked by - they had not yet truly shared a smile or a laugh. He had not asked her for a drink after work. Until Adam, the dream played out daily in his mind. There was always hope that today would be the day he would find his voice.

Maybe it was time to let go of that dream.

"Thank you, and goodnight," the bandleader said over the applause.

“Let me go say goodnight to the lads,” Adam nodded towards the bar. “I’ll meet you at the door.”

Lyneth nodded, not exactly certain why he didn’t bring her along. Her eyes followed him as he stopped to chat with a dark haired girl. Their conversation was brief, but Lyneth did not like the way the girl’s eyes feasted upon Adam. As she lost sight of him, she wandered through the dispersing crowd looking for Ava. As usual, she was surrounded by men wishing her a happy holiday. Paul hovered by her side, while he laughed along with the rest, his hand slipped to her lower back. Taking a silent claim, Lyneth noted. Unfortunately, Ava did not seem to mind and, in fact, flashed him a small beguiling smile at his touch. Lyneth needed to have another talk with that girl.

She wandered towards the makeshift coat check where a long lined formed. Adam was still nowhere to be seen. Shifting her weight, she stared at the floor.

David saw Lyneth alone - finally. He thought about Ava’s words - getting the right attention. He had lived in fear for so long that he lost his chance to the first man she danced with tonight. Watching her toy with her hair as her large eyes scanned the crush of drunken revelers, he took in a cleansing breath.

"Good party," David tried to keep his voice from shaking.

"Why, yes....it was," Lyneth jumped.

"Are you waiting for your coat?" he asked.

"Yes, I am. This line is not moving at all,” she sighed.

"Do you have your ticket?"

She fished in her small beaded purse. "Yes, right here."

"Allow me," David opened his palm.

"Oh, thank you David,” she smiled. “Do you have to work Christmas?”

“Yes. Christmas Eve at King Edward and Christmas Day at Hillingdon,” he nodded.

“They certainly keep you busy going back and forth between the two,” she mused.

“I prefer Hillingdon, personally,” he grinned. “The people are nicer.”

She laughed. “You cannot be talking about Matron White. I doubt there is anyone more miserable.”

He ducked his head. “I’ll agree with that.”

“Listen, I hope you are not still embarrassed about vomiting,” she touched his arm.

"I had forgotten all about it.....until now," he joked.

"I'm sorry. I just know what it's like,” she said.

David lost himself in her eyes while she launched into the story of her first week at Hillingdon. It was an unbelievably hot day. The terrible smell of death clung to the air. With Matron White and Dr. Smith hovering over her, Lyneth pulled back the sheet on an infantryman with gangrene of the foot. The smell and sight caused her breakfast to come up - all over Dr. Smith.

“I was mortified. It was dreadful,” Lyneth admitted.

“That’s sounds awful. You managed to live it down,” David said.

“All it takes is the next new person to do something like that, or to faint,” she said. “Well you know how Ava and I met, right?”

“She never mentioned it.” David savored every minute that he had Lyneth’s undivided attention.

“She passed out while singing to a severely burned soldier,” Lyneth said. “It was her first day in the hospitals. I felt awful because she was not prepared for what she saw. But, to her credit, she pulled herself together and visited every man in the ward.”

Across the room, Ava stopped short and grabbed Paul’s arm. “Wait a second.”

“What?” he asked.

She motioned to Lyneth and David. “Hang back and give them some room.”

Paul’s eyes followed Ava’s. David was positively beaming as he chatted with Lyneth while in line for her coat.

“Why thank you so much, David.” She was a little taken aback by how lovely he could be, since she had never seen this side before.

“Your coat, Miss,” he offered, helping her wool coat onto her shoulders.

His hands lingered on her shoulders as he took a deep breath in to remember her scent. She was so close. He imagined leaning into her and placing a soft kiss along the side of her neck. As he considered brushing her cheek, Adam made his way towards them.

“I see Adam coming this way,” as he stepped away from her. “Have a wonderful Christmas, Lyn.”

Lyneth turned to grin up into his boyish face. “You too, David.”

His heart stopped as she reached up and gave him a soft kiss on his cheek. With a nod, he stepped out into the cold. Once he was certain that he cleared the doorway, he pressed his back against the wall and gasped for air. Her lips had touched his skin. It was better than he could fashion in his head. The smile would not leave his face as he gathered his composure to walk back to the barracks.

“Did you SEE that?” Ava gushed as Paul helped Ava on with her fur coat.

He was sad to cover her up with all that fur and to say goodnight.

“I wouldn’t start engraving invitations just yet,” Paul said.

“But he talked to her without looking like he’d pass out cold. For Dave, that’s very impressive.” Ava felt so proud of him. “And... she kissed his cheek.”

Paul pulled Ava’s coat closed. “Do all great love affairs start that way, Miss Carmichael?”

Ava knew that Paul would bring it back to them somehow. “I guess we shall see.”

Good," she looped her arm around his. "And you saved me from dancing with a drunk serviceman with wandering hands."

"I thought you already had dance with Paul," he tittered.

:laugh: Bazinga!

Loved it. Great amounts of humour while underneath it there's so much going on. So many characters. And Dave finally getting somehwere! :up: Perhaps Ava is just the friend he needs to get over his fear of women. And now Paul knows, so perhaps some flirting lessons are in order.
It's interesting how comfortable Ava and Paul now seem to be, like they both dropped their guard around each other. They better not be alone anytime soon or something might happen. :wink: We all wouldn't want that to happen now would we.

:kiss: Thanks for posting ladies. Enjoy your week off!

^We wouldn't want anything to happen? :wink:

Again, I enjoyed it! I could see this chapter working like a scene from a movie...

"Shite night" is an awesome, apt rhyme. :giggle: Good thing it got better. I like Ava and Paul's flirting/dancing. And I wonder if Paul is a good singer... :sexywink: (because they sang together)

Awww, David and Lyneth! Maybe he's finally getting somewhere with her!

Nah, wouldn't want his pretty face to be shot when her fiance finds out. :wink:

And I'd say Lyneth is pretty taken with Adam right now. But at least she's aware of Dave's existence, lol. That's a whole lot more than before. If only he got to the point faster, now Adam's moved in and made himself at home.

YESSS!!!!! Awww Dave is so happy now!!! Yes, Lyneth, see how adorable Dave is??? I mean Adam is cool and all but DAVID IS TOO CUTE FOR WORDS!
Poor Ava, she's in love... but she shouldn't be...I don't blame her though ;)

I'm glad to see that we have a new fan. We are working on chapter 17 right now. Hopefully we can have it ready for the start of the next week.

Thanks for your comments. They really do fan the creative flames.

I'm glad to see that we have a new fan. We are working on chapter 17 right now. Hopefully we can have it ready for the start of the next week.

Thanks for your comments. They really do fan the creative flames.

Yes, comments always appreciated! Good to know people are reading :)

Don't miss Chapters 13-16... and yes, hope to have 17 ready soon enough!

Back
Top Bottom