Please - Chapter 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GraceRyan

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
This is a short chapter. I am sorry for the typos. I glanced it over before posting it. The Pop threads have inspired me. Okay, I started them...but there are lovely photos there.

This is fake. However, I do want to travel back in time and be Faith. Once again, Strict Machine does not own these songs.

CJ Bolland - Sugar is Sweeter

sugar daddy, come on and sugar me
I want your lovin' so come on and give it to me
sugar daddy, sugar daddy oh
look at me I'm begging for more more more....

Sugar daddy set me free.
Sugar daddy come for me.

Uh-huh come on and sugar Now

Arizona was like Vegas in many ways. Hot and dry with the sun beating down relentlessly. Unlike Vegas, the show moved seamlessly. Everyone had a great night. Strict Machine, still working on the set list flow, really engaged the audience. Tonight was Faith’s maiden voyage to the second stage. She stood at the edge looking down the long walkway. She wanted to reach as many people in the audience as possible. She walked back to Ryan as Sam and Alex moved closer.

“Let’s try that song from sound check, you know, the way we did it,” she said.

“You sure?” Sam asked.

“Yeah, I think it will work,” Faith nodded.

The song started slow as Faith stood at the edge of the stage. Like the nights before, Bono watched from behind a stack of speakers. He was seen from the fans on the side, but he didn’t care. Tonight, Larry and Edge did not join him. Morleigh was in town, and they were spending some quality time together. Quietly, Faith sang.

“I am a one way motor-way
I'm the one that drives away
Then follows you back home
I am a street light shining
I'm a wild light blinding bright
Burning off alone

It's times like these you learn to live again
It's times like these you give and give again
It's times like these you learn to love again
It's times like these time and time again”

Suddenly, the song picked up in pace. Ryan pounded his drums as Alex stepped on pedal to make it loud. Faith hopped from the main stage to stalk the runway. Her voice rang out across the stadium.

“I am a new day rising
I'm a brand new sky
To hang the stars upon tonight
I am a little divided
Do I stay or run away
And leave it all behind?

It's times like these you learn to live again
It's times like these you give and give again
It's times like these you learn to love again
It's times like these time and time again”

As she walked to the second stage, the crowd around her jumped and danced. Bono smiled in approval. Deep down, the lyrics spoke to him. “Time to live again, time to love again”. He had been dead inside since the court declared his marriage to his soulmate dissolved. He was on tour and it was time to enjoy himself. His eyes were glued to Faith as she worked hard to make that audience love her. Tonight, they did. And he could understand why.

Strict Machine filed onto the field to watch the show. It was the first night of the show they were able to see PopMart in all its glory from the audience. It was huge. They had seen U2 walking around in their stage outfits. Sam thought the idea of costumes was ridiculous. Yet when watching them all take the stage, it made sense. Alex was enraptured how Edge made one guitar fill up the night with so many different sounds. She didn’t even feel Sam wrap his arms around half way through the show. Faith was amazed by the sheer scope and theatrical feel of the concert. She had watched Bono plan out certain songs. When he would walk to the second stage. The interaction between he and The Edge. His hips grind. He sauntered, swaggered and stalked across the stage like sex on fire. And the fan cheered, grabbed and some even fainted. He had more costume changes than a performer in Vegas. Then the moment that everyone waited for, a shiny spinning lemon moved across the stage. They had watched it several times in daylight. There was usually a lot of laughter and joking from everyone - crew, bands and U2 themselves. Yet as the large lemon opened slowly, it was fairly impressive. Sam still thought it was the most ridiculous waste of money and truck space. He pulled Alex’s arm to return backstage. She shook her head. She wanted to watch the show. Shrugging, he left. Once he saw Bono’s bubble suit, he was done.

Bono plucked a female fan from the audience and pulled her to him. The girl started to cry and wrapped herself around him. He laid his head on her lap and allowed the girl to kiss his forehead and cheeks. Giving her a parting kiss on the lips, he helped her back to the crowd. She shook and cried as she hugged her friends. Faith found it very sensual. She couldn’t deny that Bono was very sexy - at least on stage. It was when he brought that persona to breakfast that left a bad taste in Faith’s mouth. Who was the real Bono? Her eyes found their way to Larry. His face drawn into a frown. Every so often, a boyish grin would break and his face would light up. Faith sighed. He had a long-term girlfriend back home. It would figure the one that was single was the one that annoyed her the most.

Bono floated off the stage. The first great night. No mistakes. The crowd was wild. He teased them, danced with them. They in turn lit him up like a Christmas tree. Their energy filled him with a buzz. He wasn’t ready for the night to end.

“We’re going out tonight!” he declared. “All of us!”

Larry rubbed a towel over his head. “Maybe some us are tired.”

“You want to go back the hotel....go ahead,” Bono shrugged. “You’ll miss out.”

Bono had fire lit under him. It had been awhile since he had been so charged up. Not since the end of Zoo TV. Larry figured it was best to humor him to keep him happy. Happy Bono was better than angry-moody Bono.

Edge leaned close to Morleigh. “I don’t think we have a choice.”

She shrugged. “It’s fine. I know he’s had a tough year.”

“Few years,” Edge rubbed his chin. Hopefully, things were starting to turn around.

“Let the others know,” Bono stripped off his t-shirt to head into the shower. Before he did, he poked his head into the hospitality tent. His eyes scanned the room. She was by the fruit plate with Lucy. He locked his eyes on them. A few people attempted to intercept his mission, but he was not to be deterred. “Hey, everyone’s going out.”

“Out? Where?” Faith asked.

“To a bar or club. It’s time to celebrate. It was a great show for everyone. We’ll leave in 20 minutes,” he stated. She opened her mouth to protest. He held up his hand. “I’m not taking no for an answer.” And he was off to the shower.

Faith looked over at Lucy. Her mouth hung open at the vision of shirtless Bono covered in sweat. “You okay?”

Lucy nodded. “Can I go too?”
Faith smiled. “He said everyone, and you are part of everyone.”

“I need to fix my hair and make-up,” Lucy ran off to find a mirror.

Faith wandered over to Alex. “Hey get your dancing shoes on. We’re going out tonight.”

“With who?” Alex took a sip of her beer.

“I’ve just been informed by Bono that we are all going out. And they aren’t taking no for answer,” Faith grabbed a beer from the bar.

“Are you sure it wasn’t just an invitation for you?” Alex teased.

“Shut up,” Faith muttered. She grinned. “Besides, I made sure Lucy was coming.”

Alex snapped her fingers. “That’s why she took off like a shot.”

“Oh yeah, she’s primping for him right now,” Faith laughed. “Ryan! We’re going dancing.”

A huge smile spread across his face. “It’s about time. Are we going to a country bar though. What else is around here?”

Faith shrugged. “Cute cowboys?”

Ryan smiled. “Tight jeans. Okay, I can live with that.”

As promised, Bono herded as many people together to descend upon the Tempe. Dennis arranged for cars for the bands while Jerry, long suffering head of security, cleared the way for the exodus out of Sun Devil Stadium. The cars pulled up to an unsuspecting club on the outskirts of the Arizona State University. Crew members and band filed into the tiny underground club. Bono wound his way to the DJ booth and began making requests. He wanted to dance. He still had steam to let off. As the guests of the hospitality tent wandered in looking for a party, he noticed how he was suddenly surrounded by beautiful women. Funny, during the last tour he was very aware of the women that orbited him. Perhaps because he needed to restrain himself. His marriage wasn’t worth a few minutes of pleasure. Now that he was free to do whatever and whoever he pleased, he couldn’t see them. But tonight, his movie was no longer black and white. His world was technicolor.

Alex sat at the bar with Sam. She watched the room spin out of control. Sure, they had hosted their share of after-show parties. Usually in warehouses or loft apartments. The college students were dumbstruck as Edge and his girlfriend danced beside them. Adam was deep in conversation with a philosophy student dressed for a rave. She had heard this was how U2 toured and played. Sheila regaled them with tall tales of skinny dipping in Australia, yacht stealing, and red light districts. She could see the room steadily headed to decline.

“C’mon,” Sam pulled on her arm. “Let’s dance.”

She frowned. “You hate dance music.”

“Everyone else is doing it,” he finished his drink. He was a little tipsy approaching drunk. Alex didn’t look forward to having to take care of him for the rest of the night.

She followed him to the dance floor. Her eyes caught on Morleigh shimmying and grinding on Edge. His arms tightly on her hips. She was tall and glamorous. She knew how to dance and move like a woman. As Sam rubbed against her, his way of dancing, she stole glances at Edge. The two of them moved in perfect time with each other. Alex saw the sweat glisten on the back of his neck. For a moment, she wished she was Morleigh. Graceful, musical and with his arms wrapped around her. She looked away as Morleigh kissed Edge. As Sam spun her around, her eyes caught on Edge’s. He smiled and nodded before Morleigh dragged him away. Alex was left with Sam’s wet kisses on her neck. Yes, she loved Sam. But her eyes followed Edge as he disappeared through the sea of bodies.

Bono turned to look at the dark haired beauty sitting beside him. She had dark eyes like hers. No more dark haired women, he decided. Dark eyes hid dark secrets, he told himself. Luckily, there was a red head on his other side. He engaged her in conversation. An aspiring actress. How original. She inched closer and her hair tickled his cheek. She smelled of suntan lotion. He was disappointed to find that her red hair came from a bottle. As she talked, Bono did lose interest. He nodded, but his eyes were on the other side of the room. Faith and Ryan danced and giggled. Earlier, she was on the dance floor with a few of the crew. He grinned to himself as they all vied for her attention. Faith would have to get used to that kind of attention now.

“Excuse me a moment, will you love?” Bono purred in the red head’s ear. She nodded and looked at him from under her pale eyelashes.

He cut through the room to Faith and Ryan. He raised an eyebrow. “Can I cut in?” he asked offering his hand to Faith.

“Lucky,” Ryan muttered in her ear. He went off to find Larry.

Faith paused for a moment. “Sure,” she smiled as she slipped her hand in his. Instantly, he felt his body temperature rise.

She stepped a little closer and her hips began to sway to the music. With a grin, he mimicked her moves. CJ Bolland’s “Sugar is Sweeter” pumped loudly over the speakers. His hands rested on her waist. He felt warmth spread from his thighs across his hips. She spun around as he inched closer. He wanted her so much. It’d been a long time since he felt that way about anyone. Sure, he’d had sex. He had desired women. But she was driving him crazy. He twirled her to face him. She smiled and he wanted to kiss her. It was too soon he told himself. Maybe the next song. He pressed himself against her. One arm curled around his neck. He bit his lip as he watched a bead of sweat roll down her neck and slip under her shirt. He wanted t follow that bead. He dipped her low, bringing her up against him. Her hand touched his chest to steady herself - her skin on his. A fire rippled across his chest. He knew she would be amazing in bed. Perhaps, tonight he would find out. He looked at her full lips. God, he wanted to kiss them, taste them.

Larry watched as he leaned against the bar sipping his Guinness. Figures that Bono would go in for the kill. He knew he had sights on Faith. Didn’t take him long to make his move. Larry knew that Bono had had a very tough few years. He certainly didn’t begrudge him a little female companionship. Why her? Suddenly, Larry was jealous that Bono was free to pursue any woman he wanted.

Bono could move. Faith had to give him that. She knew he had soul just from watching him on stage. His hips gyrated. He moved like cat stalking prey into the audience. She had seen him sway and caress female fans during “With or Without’. And as they danced, his hips did not disappoint. Too bad he was a pompous ass, she thought. As the song ended, she took a step away. Cold air rushed between them as their bodies parted. He looked a bit dazed. Every part of him throbbed to be with her. He wiped the sweat off his forehead with his arm.

“Thank you for the dance,” she nodded to him.

“Wait,” he stepped forward. “Where are you running off to?”

She motioned to the ladies he left in the corner. “There is a long line behind me. I can’t hog you all night.”

He glanced over her shoulder. “I won’t complain. One more dance.” If he could have one more song, he’d convince her to spend the night with him.

She smiled. “Maybe later.” She winked and walked towards Larry.

As her eyes caught on his, he smiled. Larry saw the incredulous look on Bono’s face. “Nice moves,” he commented as she stood beside him.

“Do you mean the dancing?” she raised her eyebrows.

“Sure,” he nodded with a laugh. “Do you need a drink?”

“Please,” she hopped up on the stool beside him.

What the fuck just happened? Bono asked. One minute ago, Faith was rubbing against him, turning him on. Like a switch, she turned off and was now chatting with Larry. He narrowed his eyes. Fine, he didn’t need her. There were plenty women who wanted him. His eyes switched to the redhead. She was perched on the edge of her seat awaiting his return. She didn’t care that he danced with Faith. He shot over to her.

“Care for a dance, love?” his voice husky. She melted into his smile. Nodding, she scrambled to her feet.

Bono led her to the dancefloor. He’d show Faith. What a fucking tease, his thoughts burned. Arousal dissolved into frustration. Over the redhead’s shoulder, Faith laughed as Larry talked. Her eyes shined as she looked at him. The redhead tried to move against him like Faith had. It felt more like being dry humped. Faith’s moves had been more subtle and tantalizing. She never pressed into him but still touched him. A brush of her thigh, the graze of her hips. Bono was beyond annoyed that she ignited and doused him in the span of 5 minutes. He suspected that she knew exactly what she was doing too. Well, two can play that game, he thought bitterly. Curling his hand around the back of the redhead’s neck, he brought his mouth to hers. Overjoyed, she wrapped her arms around his neck in a death grip. He instantly regretted making this move. She was a bit sloppy. He knew that he would not be leaving the club with her. While she was very pretty, his interest waned. It was fine enough to have a bit of snog while dancing in a dark club. Quite another to roll over to her the following morning. One night stands never really interested him much. However, rolling over to Faith would have been different.

“Looks like Bono’s on the mend,” Larry nodded to Bono making out with some girl.

“Good for him,” Faith had figured he’d be like that. Who the girl was didn’t really matter.

Larry smiled. “Well, I think you primed him a bit.”

Faith laughed. “Then I guess I did her a favor.”

Alex wandered over. “I’m heading back. Sam’s tired and I guess I am too.” Truthfully, Edge and Morleigh had disappeared. Alex hated that it ate at her.

“I’ll go back too. It’s been a long day and night,” she glanced at her watch. “And it’s 3AM.”

“Is it?” Larry groaned. “I’ll head with you if you don’t mind. I’m knackered.”

Faith’s heart skipped a bit. Sometimes his accent was adorable. “Sure.”

Bono saw Faith and Larry slip through the crowd. It didn’t matter that it was a large group leaving. He allowed himself to be dragged off to a dark corner by the red head for dark deeds.

** Times Like These - Foo Fighters
Amazon.com: Times Like These: Foo Fighters: MP3 Downloads

** Sugar is Sweeter - CJ Bolland
This is not the version, but you'll get the idea
Amazon.com: sugar is sweeter: MP3 Downloads

Damn , Bono is depressed as fuck... Nice angst writing there.
It feels very real. Great chapter.
And nice avi ;)

Thanks!

In interviews, he's always saying that he'd be lost without Ali. So this is what I imagined he'd be like if that were to ever happen. Angry, depressed and looking for someone to hold on to. And what would happen if someone he thought could be the savior had no interest.

That CJ Bolland song came out in 1996-1997 so it was fitting. I'm working on chapter 7. Some of it was jotted down on my Droid in the train today. I may have to skip forward a bit. No one wants to read the day to day fodder of the tour.

Thanks for the feedback! :wave:

Oh yeah. I wasn't going to have them in Europe. Plus, we need to follow Strict machine (even if they are fictional) as a band. How are they being received as a band? How is their career going? I'll touch a little on how Pop was criticized as well as the tour. In watching the interviews, Larry really seems WTF about the whole stage. It was like he lost a bet and had to go with Bono's vision.

Poor Adam is like the invisible member. it's okay, he's the only one in a stable relationship right now. :D

Poor Ali-less Bono...it was kind of painful how much he didn't really like the redhead, too!

Larry, on the other hand, seems much more successful at the moment in getting Faith's attention. Good for him. But—not good, because he's still with Ann!

Your avatar is the same one I have on @U2! It freaked me out so badly!
Anyway... here are my pairings:
Faith+Larry
Alex+Edge... but I hope it doesn't work out, I have a serious love for Edge+Morleigh.
And Bono can have whoever the heck he wants. I really don't care. I mean... I think he's extremely sexy and all that, but looks say nothing about someone's personality. And I don't like his personality in this! Such a Pop Tart.
So many little sentences in here that I love! Faith is a wicked (awesome) girl, teasing Bono like that...

I'm glad people are wrapped up in the characters. I need to flesh out Alex and Edge a bit more. I've just been having fun with moody/horny Bono and his verbal dance with Faith. Their relationship is fun right now.

I do enjoy Bono and Faith's weird argument/thought sex relationship, now that you mention it.

I agree with Blue though, just a little:

And I don't like his personality in this! Such a Pop Tart.

:lol: Yes, can he stick with one woman?

He's sexy, but not boyfriend material right now. Faith can see that. Eventually, he dials it down a bit with her. Yet, he is a bit of a cad. I'm not ready for him to a one woman man yet. Remember, he was and look where that got him.....

Okay, good. I feel better about him with that explanation. I kind of want to go in the story and tell him not to mess around with Faith yet, though, until they're both ready for it...

In my mind, Bono is still hurting from Ali's departure. He has a huge sense of abandonment. Then here comes Faith, the first person he is interested in, and he has no idea how to proceed other than using Fly/Bono charm. Then she has no interest in him like that, so he's a bit dejected.

In my mind, Bono is still hurting from Ali's departure. He has a huge sense of abandonment. Then here comes Faith, the first person he is interested in, and he has no idea how to proceed other than using Fly/Bono charm. Then she has no interest in him like that, so he's a bit dejected.
Oh! This makes sense!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom