Please - Chapter 22

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GraceRyan

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Ha. I told you I would get this one up quickly. It's short (yeah, you've heard this one before). This one was tough.

It's fiction. I hope you enjoy.

U2 - Heaven and Hell
U2 - Heaven And Hell - YouTube
Once you get a chance
You come to baby
Right back, you call me down
Used to think you wanted nothing to do
Was to say nothing at all

You went like the one time
A two time
You’re back, and me
Drop off the back seat
Of a bad car
Where finders
Came alone

Wishing her out of my life
Wishing her...

What am I to do
Came a talk to street
And a time that you listen
Don’t you beg the time on me

They said you oughta call her back
I wanna, but afraid to say
I won’t hang up on you baby, child
Nothing feels like this before

Here in in my life
Yeah in heaven and hell
Baby you’re heaven and hell
Heaven and hell

Oh, heaven and hell

All the time...

Want a chance to hold you
Want a chance to kill
I want a chance to keep you awake at night
When the sunlight burns through your love

But you can’t always get
Everything you want
You take cards from all under the table
You’re heaven, heaven and hell

Baby you’re heaven...heaven and hell
Yeah, you’re heaven...heaven and hell

Cover me...

Darkness...
You light up my darkness
You light up my darkness
And open up..

"Are you wussing out?" Faith danced around Ryan giving him light jabs. "Did I wear you out?"

"I guess you didn't have a late night," Ryan countered. "Though considering who’s in your bed, you should be completely sleep deprived. When are you going to save the tour some money and get one room?"

Faith gave him a harder jab. "Alex and Sam still have separate rooms and they are engaged. I like my space."

Ryan held up his gloved hands. "I need some water if we aren't quitting," Ryan said.

"I'd have a better partner shadow boxing," she smiled.

He shook one hand at her. "Oh you are in for it now, bitch."

Ryan left the yoga studio. Faith stretched her tired muscles. This leg of the tour was kicking her ass. When she hit the stage, she hit it hard. She was possessed by the images of Christy and Bono burned in her mind. Faith hadn't expected that she'd join the tour. Didn't she have to have her photo taken? Instead, she was a nice flesh accessory to Bono. She went where he went. And he basked in the attention. Poor Lucy was beside herself. It was the confirmation that he was out of her league. Faith looked at herself in the mirrored wall. She felt out of his league now. Christy was everything Faith was not. Tall, lean, cheekbones that could cut glass with flowing gorgeous hair. Even though she towered over him, they made a striking couple. Faith once felt sexy next to Bono. She remembered the photo shoot months ago. At the tine, she thought they looked stunning together. Now she was compact and spunky. Not glamorous or worthy. She shook her head. What did she care? She had the most beautiful man in the group. What did she care what Bono and his model looked like?

She heard footsteps behind her. "Ha! Ready to get your ass kicked?"

Bono smiled mischievously. "By you? Yes please."

He was wearing Ryan’s gloves and no shirt - just a pair of black shorts. She didn't know what to say. Over his shoulder, she saw Ryan smiling. What was that about?

"What are you doing here?" She asked.

"Months ago you promised to teach me to box," he said innocently.

"Very funny. I heard you already know," she put her hands on her hips.

"Then refresh my memory," he said as he took the stance. "Come on. Afraid of me?"

For a moment, she was. She couldn’t tear her eyes off his bare chest. Luckily, she had gloves on her hands so she couldn’t reach out and touch it. But he was someone else’s property now. On his neck was a fading reminder of that in yellow and green. Yet she spied another on his collarbone - a fresh one.

“You should get that girl a lollipop before you start to look like a leper,” she smirked.

“That sounds like jealousy,” he grinned.

“You want to box? Let’s go, Romeo,” she danced around him.

A wide smile spread across his face as he watched her bounce on the balls of her feet. For a moment, he felt silly sparring with a girl. Until he felt her first blow to his side. He staggered back with shock in his eyes.

“Shit Faith. I didn’t think you’d be serious,” he gasped.

“Is it coming back to you?” she asked.

He couldn’t bring himself to do more than tap her and block. But she had a nasty left hook. Even in blocking her jabs and hooks, he was starting to sweat. She weaved and moved quickly.

“Are you taking out some frustrations on me, Faith?” he taunted.

“Not sure why I would need to,” she caught his bicep.

“I see you watching. You don’t need to be jealous,” he ducked.

“I think it’s you that is jealous. Isn’t that what she is?” she bounced around him so that she was in back of him. “Christ.....the back of your neck too?” She saw a small purple mark.

He smiled. “She likes to suck.”

Faith just missed his nose. “Sort of like a leech.”

“That was clever, Faith,” he said. He knew he was getting under her skin. He was distracted by the sweat on her brow. Yes, he had a supermodel in his bed every night. The boxer in front of him made him ache in desire.

“I’m sure that you aren’t used to such witty banter now,” she teased.

“We don’t talk much,” he countered.

She swiped his chin. He reeled back a few steps. That comment deserved that. She smiled quite proud of herself.

“I’m really quite glad that you’ve met your match in that case,” she said. “I guess we all got what we wanted, eh?”

His face fell serious. With one step, he was inches from her. “I don’t have what I want. Do you?”

“I’m ecstatic,” she hissed. “Life is golden.”

Before she could put her hands up for another punch, he removed his gloves. “I think you’re lying to me, to him and yourself.”

“Why the fuck are you with Christy then?” she spat angrily. “If you don’t care about her, that’s really shitty.”

“I do care about her, but fuck Faith,” he ran his hand over his sweat-dampened hair. “I can’t stop myself from wanting you.”

They panted angrily as they glared at one another.

“I guess you’re forfeiting,” she looked at his bare hands. “So I win?”

“Sure,” he whispered. “But I’m the prize.”

He took her face in his hands and kissed her hungrily. A low moan escaped from her throat as felt his tongue tease hers. Instinctively she went to touch him. She struggled getting the gloves off her hands. He pulled them off for her. He longed for her hands to be on him. Shuddering as her fingers touched his chest, he pressed her against the wall. His body was slick with sweat causing the heat to build inside her. God, he missed her taste. he knew he missed her, but it wasn’t until his mouth was on hers that he fully understood the depth. Her head screamed to push him away. Larry was sleeping in her bed right at that moment. No one felt like Bono. His kiss rendered her helpless. What does he do with his tongue that drives her insane with passion. She pressed her hips towards him.

He groaned. “Faith, please. Don’t deny me anymore.”

Her head felt fuzzy. He kissed her again not wanting to give her any time to think or change her mind. She wanted to disappear inside him. She could feel that he wanted her as he pressed against her thin shorts. Say that you need me, he pleaded with his eyes. Gently, he caressed her cheek dropping his fingers to her chin. Deliberately, he probed her mouth with his tongue as his hands slid under her tank top feeling the sweat pool in the small of her back.

“Hey, I heard you were,” Edge halted. He blinked at the sight before him. “in here.” His voice was almost a whisper.

They hadn’t heard him in the fever of their passionate embrace. Edge had seen them kiss that night. For a moment, he considered leaving them. The hunger in their eyes made him feel protective of their moment. Who was he to burst their happiness? But someone worse could walk in - like Larry or Christy. He cleared his throat like he just walked in the door.

They jumped apart. Bono glared at his dear friend even though he knew it wasn’t his fault.

Faith’s face was purple in embarrassment. “Shit.....”

Edge couldn’t think of anything appropriate to say. “I...uh....found you.”

Bono rubbed the back of his neck. “We were boxing.”

“Oh,” Edge said quietly.

With tears in her eyes, she looked at Bono. He started to move towards her. There was nothing to cry about. He wanted to hold her in his arms and tell her it would be okay.

“I’m sorry,” she said to Edge. “Sorry.” She bolted out the door.

“Faith, wait,” Bono ran after her.

Edge caught his arm. “Let her go.”

“Get off of me,” Bono hissed. “I need to go after her.”

Edge looked him in the eye. “Larry is out there. You stay put.”

Bono shook Edge off. “FUCK!” He paced in the small room. He reeled on his friend. “Why didn’t you just walk out?”

“I said, Larry is wondering about. Trust me, it was far less traumatic for me to find you than him,” Edge said.

Edge had a point. But he was so close. She was in his arms for a few glorious minutes. He felt Edge’s eyes on him.

“I need to see if she’s okay,” Bono said.

“You need to stay here. I don’t think you’d help.” he said. “I’m going to guess this wasn’t the first time.”

“It’s really none of your business,” Bono snapped. He had to bite his tongue about the secret he shared with Faith.

Edge held up his hands. “Fine. Just be careful. I know you’d hate to hurt Larry or Christy.”

Bono’s shoulders slumped. “Edge wait. It’s not the first time. But it hasn’t happened since Faith and Larry got together. Or not really.” He rubbed his eyes. “It’s really fucked up. I just know that I love her and I have for months. I hate seeing her with Larry. I think she’s making a huge mistake.”

“And Christy?” Edge asked.

“Fuck, Christy,” his fingers touched the marks she made.

“Jesus Bono, get her lollipop,” Edge winced.

He smiled weakly. “That’s what Faith said.”

Fucking Bono, Faith thought as she stormed back to her room. She prayed that she didn't run into anyone. As she reached her door, she hoped Larry was up and at breakfast. Opening her hotel room, she peeked around the door. The bed was empty and the bathroom door ajar. Thankfully she was alone. She was filled with conflicting emotions - all at war. First, the shame and guilt hit her. She should tell Larry. But at this point, what was one more lie? At least this time she didn't sleep with him. Thank god for Edge. She didn't know how she could look Edge in the eye. There was nothing innocent about what he saw. If he hadn't interrupted Faith was sure things would have gone much farther. In the middle of all that, her heart raced thinking that Bono still wanted her. He had this beautiful creature vying for his love, yet he still wanted Faith. That shouldn't please her. Maybe Faith had seen the last of Christy. Perhaps now Bono would realize he was just using her and he'd end things.

That didn't happen. As Faith wandered to the stage for soundcheck, her stomach plunged at the sight of Bono and Christy tucked into a corner backstage lips locked. Fucking Bono indeed. This was worse than the whoring about with faceless woman at the start of the tour. He was screwing with emotions. Christy pulled away with a smile.

"See you later," she slipped away.

Faith was caught in his gaze. The 'oh shit' factor flashed in his eyes. He lunged towards.

"Faith, wait," he grabbed her arm.

"What?" She whirled around.

"This morning, " he started.

"Oh don't worry. That will never happen again," she said plainly.

"That's not what I wanted to hear," he said.

"Sometimes we don't get what we want. Even you," she shrugged. "Just because you want it doesn't mean you deserve it."

He winced. That was the end of the conversation. He guessed after what she just witnessed he deserved that. He had no doubt that she meant business when she said she'd never touch him again. That night, she was very present in her relationship with Larry. He was pleasantly surprised by her increased affection. He had to admit that he thought things would move along smoother. There seemed to be a lot of hot and cold spots along their way. He bristled every time Adam would suggest marriage. He was nowhere near that. After Popmart closed its doors he could decide where this was going.

"Hey, do you have a moment?" Edge muttered to Alex when Terry left the underground.

"Sure," Alex said as she watched playback from the night before.

He glanced around and bent close to her ear. "I happened upon a scene today."

Her eyes widen. "Scene? What kind of scene?"

Standing close enough that she felt his body heat, he relayed his story of walking into the studio to find them locked in a very passionate kiss.

"Hands everywhere, it was wild," he said.

"Holy shit," she gasped. Sure, they had speculated. "What happened?"

"They didn't even hear me walk in. I had to clear my throat. Faith jumped miles into the air. I know he was the one that started it," Edge said.

"You think it's been ongoing?" She asked.

Edge shook his head. "I don't know. Faith won't look at me anymore. She was horrified when she saw me there. So I don't think it was a usual occurrence. "

"I thought he was into Christy. He gave that impression. " she said.

"He told me he loves Faith," he said quietly. Alex could tell that Edge felt bad for his friend. "I believe he does 100%. If she went to him, he'd be complete. "

"You think it's that deep," Alex asked.

He nodded. "I've seen him in love. I have no doubt he'd turn his world upside down for her."

"I wonder what now?" Alex said thoughtfully.

"I have a feeling things are going to get messy" he ran a hand over his face. "Either way, someone gets hurt."

"Isn't that always the way," she whispered wistfully.

He stared at her. Gently, he touched her cheek. "Is this just about them?"

Her bottom lip quivered. "No..."

"What’s going on Alex?" He moved closer.

She looked down at her shoes. "I miss you."

His heart pounded in his ears. "I know."

"Alex?" Sam’s voice drifted down the stairs. "We're heading back the hotel for the interview."

She closed her eyes. Life always got in her way. But promises were made.

"Okay, coming," she called up. Her eyes didn't leave Edge’s face.

He leaned over and kissed her cheek. "See if Faith will talk to you."

She nodded and scrambled up the stairs.

The next few days on tour were tense. Bono and Faith barely spoke to each other. They were pleasant but brief. Bono considered dropping the duet, but it was the only time he saw that flicker behind her eyes. She softened and they forgot about everything that divided them. But as soon as everyone gathered for the after party, the coldness returned. Without a reason not to, Bono clung to Christy. He was slowly developing something deeper than friendship. The closer he got with Christy, the tougher time he had with Faith. When no one was around, they sniped at each other. He knew she was jealous. If she had said the word, they'd be together. But she convinced herself she didn't want that. So what the fuck was her deal? It was starting to piss him off and push him closer to Christy. With her, there was no drama. He knew what she felt.

Meanwhile Faith plunged deeper in self denial. She told herself that she was meant to be with Larry. Her feelings didn't scare her. He didn't throw her off balance. Anytime she considered Bono, her eyes caught them snuggled together. His longing glances in her direction grew less frequent. He looked happy with Christy. It was like a knife to her heart. Her insides wretched watching Christy lay across his lap or his head in her lap while her fingers raked through his hair. Faith went back to her room and vomited. She blamed dinner. She looked in the mirror. God, she looked awful. No wonder he was happy with Christy. He escaped being with an emotional cripple who looked haggard. Sinking to the floor, the tears fell. She loved him. She loved him with everything in her. Even though Larry told her every night that he loved her, Bono was always on her mind. No matter what she did, she could not exorcise him from her heart. But now, it was too late. All the snide comments and angry words had taken root. It was clear that he wasn't in love with her anymore. She had driven him away thinking it was best. But now she needed him more than anything. She'd fucked this up beyond repair. On top of all this, she was tired. She had a hard time focusing. Now their duet was torture - being so close and smelling him. Not being able to say the words he wanted to hear. I love you.

A knock on her door startled her. If it was Larry, he'd use the key. Maybe it was Bono seeing the pain her eyes. She darted over and peered the peep hole. Alex.

"I'm about to shower. What is it?" She called.

Alex knew right away that something was amiss. "Faith, are you okay?"

"Yeah, just tired," she leaned against the door praying she'd go away.

"Something is wrong. Let me in. Please." Alex’s heart raced. The last time she heard Faith in this state was with Bradley. Did something go wrong with Larry?

"I can't Alex," she said.

"I'll get Larry. I know he has a key," she warned.

"Please. I'll be okay," Faith pleaded.

"I'm serious. I'll get management or Larry," she warned again.

Faith didn't want Larry to see her like this. "Fine," she opens the door for Alex.

Faiths face and eyes were bright red. Her face was puffy from crying. "What happened? Is it Larry? Did you fight?"

She shook her head. "Is everything okay at home?" Faith nodded unable to form words. "Are you hurt? You need to help me out here."

Faith swallowed the large lump in her throat. "No, I'm just tired."

Alex thought for a moment. The tension between Faith and Bono had been evident. "Is this about Bono? Did you have a fight with him?"

The mention of his name brought on the waterworks. She sat on the edge of her bed and sobbed.

"What did he do?" Alex’s anger was rising.

"He did nothing," Faith sniffled. "It was me. I fucked it up."

Alex peered into her friends eyes. "You love him, don't you?"

Hearing someone else say it was almost as terrifying as saying it herself. "I do. I hate it, but I do. I've tried so hard not to."

Alex didn't even know where to begin. Somehow, she and Edge needed to put this right. Larry might have been a sturdy choice, but it was clear that she needed Bono.

"Why didn't you want to?" Alex asked.

She wiped her cheeks with her shirt sleeves. "He reminded me of Bradley. The way I feel around him scares the shit out of me. I can't control it or myself."

Alex identified immediately. "Larry felt safer."

Faith nodded. "At one point, I truly believed that I was supposed to be with him. I do love Larry. He's a great man. And he broke up with Ann to be with me. I can't let that be in vain."

"But you love Bono. You owe it to both of them to be honest." Alex said.

Faith raised her eyebrow. "Is this do as I say, not as I do?"

"It's different. Bono is still relatively single. There's still time. You can make this right," Alex said. "Yes, Larry will be hurt but it's only been a few months. How deep can he be?"

Alex shook her head as Faith shot her an amused look. It only took a few months for her to fall Bono. And only a few days for alex to fall in love with Edge. "Okay, forget that."

Faith shrugged. "He's with Christy now."

Alex picked up the acid drip in her voice when Faith said the models name.

"He still loves you. I see how he looks at you," Alex put her arm around Faith.

Faith buried her head in Alex's neck. Faith was completely broken.

"It just hurts. I hate seeing them together. Then having to pretend everything is okay when I feel like shit," Faith said.

"You need to talk to Bono. He should know that you love him. He think you chose Larry over him. I bet of he knew, he'd drop Christy like a bad habit," Alex said.

"You should know something. " Faith said.

Alex's eyes nearly jumped out of her skull. "Please tell me you aren't pregnant."

"NO!" Faith shook her head violently. "Bradley called."

Alex's eyes narrowed. "What? When? Did you talk to him?"

"I didn't talk to him. He left a few message while i was gone. Then while i was home, he left a message on my answering machine. Larry was there. I told him about it. Alex, he made me feel safe. He insisted he stay at my place," she sighed.

"Does Larry know about the cancer yet?" She asked.

"Not yet," Faith answered.

Alex rubbed her temples. "Yeah this is messy."

"Are you trying to make me feel better?" Faith snorted a laugh at the absurdity of her life. For a control freak, how did it so out of control?

"Okay, first you need tell Bono how you feel. After that, everything else will fall into place," alex said.
Faith failed to see how it would be that easy.

“You need to go to bed and get some sleep. I’ll tell Larry and everyone that you have food poisoning and need to rest. That should give you a night of peace. Tomorrow is a new day. When you tell Bono, everything will work out. He loves you,” Alex said.

“Thank you,” Faith hugged Alex tightly. “I wanted to tell you so many times.”

“You’ve been carrying a lot on your plate. No wonder you are tired. Now get some rest,” Alex slipped out the door.

Faith took a hot shower and stared at the dancing steam. She vacillated between hope and despair. She wished she knew what he would say. Exhausted, she fell asleep the moment her head hit her pillow.

Alex went downstairs where the groups gathered in the bar for a night on town. Ryan and Sam circled her as she told them that Alex was ill and not be joining them. Ryan wondered if there was something more going on. She'd been tired and distracted lately. She gave her all on stage, but off stage she had become quiet and a little withdrawn. His big fear was that her body was fighting some more sinister than a grueling touring season. When Alex told Larry, he was concerned. Should he check on her? Alex assured him that Faith just needed sleep. In the morning, everything would be fine. It was strange for Alex to be in this position. Usually, Faith handled things. She was a natural leader. Alex didn't feel anymore emotionally stable, but she had come to accept her lot in life. She did need to talk to Edge. Maybe he could shed light on the how deep things were between Bono and Christy. Alex was sure that he still was very much in love with Faith. She noticed his ears prick up as she talked with Ryan and Sam about her being under the weather. Maybe Edge could go to him and tell him. But that night, he was not with the others. And the next morning, he wasn't at breakfast. Neither were Bono and Christy. Alex watched as the ghost of Faith gingerly entered the breakfast room. Her eyes scoured the area for Bono. Larry rushed over to see how she was. Alex couldn't figure out how Faith felt about Larry now. Her smile was warm. She touched his hand when she spoke. Larry didn't know her enough to notice her eyes were distant and searching for someone else.

A huge anvil of anxiety sat on Faith's chest as she moved from the hotel to the airplane. Bono and Christy were inseparable right now. She wondered if Christy needed to be there when he pissed. Making matters harder, she was still Larry's girl. She forced to be in their giddy company. She kept hoping his eyes would find hers. That somehow, she could convey her feelings in a glance. He was totally taken with Christy. He laughed at everything she said. He kept one hand on her at all times. He gaze was adoring. It made Faith's bones ache.

Jacksonville was hot and sticky during the day and rainy that night. As Faith's eyes gazed into the horizon as she sang on stage, she saw the distant flashes of lightning. Bono had stopped watching the show from backstage. Why would he when he could cozy up to his new sweetie backstage? She has casually asked Larry how long Christy would be along for the tour. He had shrugged and muttered something about Bono's new toy - she might be around for the whole leg if he had his way. Faith saw her opportunity slipping through her fingers. Soon, he wouldn’t care that she loved him. She had nightmares of his shrugging at the news. Sometimes night, he laughed at her. Faith excused herself from the after show activities. Watching them kiss or dance was more than she could bare.

In the storm of all this despair, Faith saw a glimmer of hope. Her stomach was in knots as she took the stage for the duet. Bono had started to take it in stride as part of the show. He no longer looked for it as an opportunity to be with Faith. It was clear to him that she wanted nothing to do with him. But that night, her voice was raw with emotion. There was a yearning in her eyes as she looked at him. He stared at her. For a moment, he got the sense she was pleading him. He inched closer, feeling the rush of warmth around him. He missed her looking at him like that. He was so caught up in her eyes that he missed a lyric. The song veered off tempo and everyone looked annoyed with him. Angrily, he found his way back in the melody and finished the song with cold precision.

"Is something more going on with Faith?" Sam asked the morning of the Miami show.

"What do you mean?" Alex asked casually. It had been 2 days since Faith confessed to her. IN those two days, she hadn't seen Faith spend more than a few seconds talking to Bono. And Edge was busy too. She suspected a long distant lover's spat with Morleigh.

"She's way off. I've never seen her like this. Is she sick again?" he asked with concern.

"Well, I think her immune system has taken a hit with non-stop touring and recording. I think she needs time off," Alex lied. She knew that Sam wasn't convinced. She needed to talk to Faith again. Something needed to change soon. She hoped that she might be able to bend Edge's ear before soundcheck. Finding him alone when she was alone have proved to be impossible lately.

Edge was walking towards the underground when Alex spied him. She glanced around. Finally a moment alone. She darted over nearly knocking him over. "Hey, I really need to talk to you."

He looked annoyed for a moment. "Sorry Alex. It's kind of a bad time."

"Are you okay?" she asked.

He rubbed his chin. "JUst got a lot of my mind."

"I'd hate to burden you with one more, but it's important," she said. "Is there somewhere private?"

The graveness in her voice worried him. 'The underground is empty right now. Let's duck in there."

Alex scurried in before anyone spotted them. "What's going on with you?"

He shook his head. "My divorce from Aislinn is finally official. I know we've been separated for 7 years now, but it still reminds me of how I failed. I don't like that feeling." He sighed heavily. "And Morleigh is in Europe right now. I have no idea when I'll see her again between our different tours."

"I'm sorry," Alex touched his arm.

Her touch didn't settle anything for him. It raised more questions that he didn’t want to think about. "Whats going on with you?"

"The night that Faith got sick? Well, I went to her room and she was a mess. Complete mess." Alex started.

"About?"

"She loves him. She is completely in love with Bono. She told me. And this thing with Christy is killing her," Alex said lowly.

Edge took a step back. "Wow. I haven't expected that."

"I told her she needs to tell him, right away," she said.

"I don't think she has. He would have said something to me," Edge said.

"He hasn't been alone. I need your help in distracting Christy, or telling him. This needs to stop. They just need to be together," Alex said sternly.

Edge smirked. "That's a long way off from thinking he was an ass."

"They just work. Right before she got together with Larry and was spending a lot of time with Bono, that was the happiest I'd seen her," Alex said.

"Bono seems pretty content - even happy. But I can't imagine that he'd fall out of love with Faith that quickly. Regardless, he needs to know so he can decide," Edge said.

"Will you help?" Alex asked.

Edge nodded. "I think it needs to come from Faith. First, if he knew we were talking about, he'd toss a fit and rightfully so. I think coming from her would mean everything to him."

"I need you to get rid of Christy so they can talk. We need to set up some kind of meeting, just the two of them," Alex said.

"It might take a day to get them alone alone - no Larry, Christy or anyone else. Maybe like the workout that Ryan arranged...." Edge said.

She slapped his arm. "Are you in cahoots with someone else?"

He laughed. "No, Bono told me that he and Ryan set that up. But they nearly had sex right there.....so maybe this time...."

"That might be the best way to go," Alex said. "I need her to get better, Edge. She's my best friend and she's dying inside."

"What if he chooses Christy?"

"Then at least she knows and we can deal with it," Alex sighed. She hoped that wouldn't be the out come.

Faith searched in vain for him. She's seen Bono walking around to the backstage area alone just moments before. Her guts had been eating her alive for days. She was able to blame flu or the Florida heat with Larry. She just needed to know where she stood with Bono. The constant pain was too much. There was a gripping fear that he would reject her. That would mean 3 torturous weeks. She heard him talking. It sounded like to Joe. She hung back waiting for him to pass her by. The Miami hit was oppressive as she paced in a tiny triangle. She ran through what she would say. She steeled herself for every response. She heard him speak again, but couldn't make out the words. She inched closer. She recognized Christy's laugh. Right then, she knew she should run. Her head told her to walk away right now. But had she listened to her head in the first place, she'd never be here.

"I love you, Bono," Christy purred.

"I love you," he said in voice of melted butter.

Faith's world collapsed on a hot afternoon in Miami. She braced herself against a large case as the world spun around her. Terrified she would be discovered by them, she bolted. All she wanted to do was hide in her hotel room. She wished there wasn't a show tonight. How was she supposed to get in front of all those people and make like a rock star? All she felt was pain. Her body felt weighed down by Earth's gravity. The time she felt like this was lying in a hospital bed with tubes running in and out of her. She managed to keep the tears at bay until she finally made it to her room. Curled in a ball on her bed, she cried until it was time to gather herself to go to the stadium.

Faith picked at her dinner. She couldn't bring herself to put any food in her already churning stomach. The only reprieve she had was that Bono and Christy were nowhere to be found. But then, who knows what they could be doing? Larry watched her with concern eyes. Maybe asking Strict Machine along was too much. Sam also looked like he was ready for it to be over. He was used to the grueling schedule. But this was new to the younger band. Looking at Faith's face, Alex was sure she hadn't spoken to Bono yet. She didn't look much better than the night before. Faith did manage a small laugh or smile, but was blank for the most part. Before a show, there were too many people to pull Faith aside. She didn't have time to talk to Edge. Maybe after the show she would have a chance. Looking at the scene unfold before her, she knew something must be done.

The heat hit Faith hard as she climbed up to the stage. Her head spun a little. She took a big gulp of cold water to cool herself. In the audience, beach balls bounced around. The smell of stale beer hit her nose causing her stomach to turn. She thought of her cool hotel room after the show. Maybe she'd ask Larry to skip the after party too. As the band launched into Sex on Fire, she spied Bono leaning on the speaker. He hadn't done that in almost a week. Maybe Christy left the tour and what she heard were their goodbyes. Should she still confess even after hearing their declaration of love? At least he'd be more accessible. She started to feel a little better. The heat was still unbearable even as the sun sunk low in the sky. Edge joined Bono. Alex saw this as well. She thought this was the perfect opportunity for Edge to tell him. Things were finally coming together. Alex felt some relief. Some color had returned to Faith's cheeks. Edge and Bono were smiling and talking as they watched the band.

When Faith looked over again, Christy hung around Bono neck like a beautiful flesh necklace. She felt the blood drain from her head. The air was suffocating. She took another gulp of water and poured a little on the back of her neck. She gripped the edge of her piano as she sat to launch into Love is a Blind Ambition. Sitting at her piano, she had nowhere to look but them. They laughed. They kissed. Dear God, my song will become their song, she thought.

In all the minutes
Of all the madness
And all the poetry
Between the good and badness

In all the hours
Of all the minutes
Of all the thousand of loves
That grew from within it

It was the heat of the night
And love is a blind ambition

In all the seasons
Of the years
Of all countless questions
And seasons of fear

There's an answer
In all emotion
In all hungry moments
A losing proposition

It's just the heat of the night
And love is a blind ambition
It's just the heat of the night
Cause love is a blind ambition

The keys blurred for a moment. Shaking her head, everything came back into focus. A haze settled over the sea of people. Faith could smell sweat, beer, pt and Christy's sickeningly sweet perfume. She hated the way Bono looked at Christy. God, three more weeks of this.

And all the minutes
Of all the madness
And all the poetry
Between the good and badness

And all the hours
Of all the minutes
And all the flowers of love
And the love that grew
from within it

And love was a blind ambition
And love was a blind ambition
Alex heard the raw emotion as she sang the last of the lyrics. She too saw Christy. Edge shrugged and mouthed "I'll take care of this." Faith stared at the keys. As the final notes echoed through the night, she saw Christy kiss him deeply. Grabbing her microphone, she stood to walk back to the mike stand. The colors of Popmart swirled like a top. Suddenly, the ground was fast approaching. There was a sharp pain that ripped through her head then silence.

Concrete Blonde - Love is a Blind Ambition - YouTube

...Oh my god. I hope Faith is alright!

I can't believe Larry notices nothing during Faith's depressed period...

Bono needs to drop Christy and help Faith :/

At least Faith has come to her senses, and I can even see Bono's point re it being easier with Christy. Even if Faith and Bono don't wind up together (say it isn't so!) she shouldn't end up with Larry. And why do I get the feeling even Larry is wondering if this relationship is right for him?

jeeez this is a cliffhanger if i've ever read one! :ohmy: extremely frustrating but extremely exciting too which I guess is the best way to keep a story interesting. when can one expect the next chapter???

I'm working on chapter 23 now. I had some of chapter 23 started while I was filling gaps in 22. I think Larry was just thinking it was exhaustion. And I couldn't make the relationship between Larry and Faith seamless. He is into it because it's new but he isn't receiving pressure for marriage like Ann. But yeah, he is wondering what will happen after the tour is over.

I'll try to get chapter 23 up soon. I'm glad everyone is on the edge of their seat!

My family's been making Edge jokes to me ever since...ever.

"Katie, do you want the edge of...Wait..."

"Do I want the...:ohmy:"

And the fact that it's not the last chapter is enough :up: I can guess that, well, everything's not gonna be resolved yet...

:laugh: You should do that instead of editing music. You know, sexy scene coming up...they all ride away to the magical land of unicorns

Yeah, that works. :giggle:

If you do the theme for Teletubbies, you get bonus points.

I thought of that after posting Care Bears. I had Rainbow Brite up too. I won't use Barney...that will kill the mood.
What a chapter! Love this story! :D

Edge - why'd you have to walk in on them! :doh:

When can we expect chappie 23? :shifty:

I am steadily working on 23. Maybe tomorrow night? I'm waiting for a natural break in the action where the chapter ending makes sense. So, it maybe be a long one. I'm up over 367 something pages on this. That's crazy! Almost makes me feel like a real writer.

Please don't use Barney! (hey, a new use for 'Please'...I was just thinking about what if U2's lyrics were all much sillier than they are...)

367 pages? Whoa! Mine only ever got to about 200-250 pages, and that's seriously a lot for me. Maybe your chapters are longer...much longer...(they're addictive though)

Good luck with your chapter ending...those can be a bitch to write...I applaud you for not doing my usual 'and then she went to sleep' or something XD 'and then she passed out on the floor' is a bit more unexpected :giggle:

Wheeeeee!

Something tells me this ending may involve children's show themes :shifty:

Unless you're popping Bradley in unexpectedly and that's what the evil face was :crack:

I just love how the music video's interact with the stories, don't stop doing that.
I just read 21 and 22 , still as exiting as ever. Your a great writer.

Wheeeeee!

Something tells me this ending may involve children's show themes :shifty:

Unless you're popping Bradley in unexpectedly and that's what the evil face was :crack:

Stop reading my mind...maybe

I just love how the music video's interact with the stories, don't stop doing that.
I just read 21 and 22 , still as exiting as ever. Your a great writer.

Thank you! I'm trying to find the right song for this chapter. But it should be up tonight.

Back
Top Bottom