Please - Chapter 18

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GraceRyan

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Okay, we're moving right along here. This is all fiction. These are characters with some historical similarities to real people. This just keeps me from writing something I could paid for. Feedback is always welcomed. You like? You hate it? Warning: There will be typos.

On with the show.....

YouTube - ‪She's My Baby - Mazzy Star‬‏

She's My Baby - Mazzy Star

She's my baby
She belongs to me
Yesterday she walked home all alone
Everybody else
Looks at my baby
Then they wander over to me

But baby's feelin' bad today
She said she's thinkin of goin' away
Oh baby I'm cryin'
And my body's flyin'
But I remember you

She's my baby
Ain't that something
But I know she belongs to you

Yesterday was another day
When I saw your baby
Walkin' home alone
I'm feelin' sorry
I called you but I guess I forgot your name

My baby's feelin' bad today
She said she's thinkin' of goin' away
But she's just like lightning
She goes right through you
Then you know you'll never
Be the same

Now everybody looks
All around the corner
Just to see your baby
Walkin' home

She's my baby
Ain't that something
But I know that she belongs to you
She belongs to you

Bono could hear Strict Machine on stage as he opened the door to the limo. The knot in his stomach tightened a little. What had gone down in Paris? Larry was stoic as ever. At lest he wasn’t as giddy as a teenage boy in love. Bono would have lost his breakfast. Though Edge held Morleigh’s hand tightly, his face was blank. The few days with Morleigh didn’t give him many answers. When they were focused on the moment, it was grand. The moment Edge brought up the tour break and his girls, she closed down. He knew if they could see the Morleigh he knew, they could be one happy family. Morleigh didn’t seem eager to win them over.

The music started and stopped. Bono thought he heard a new song. It was just music, no Faith. Guilt seeped into his skin when he thought back to his few days of debauchery. Why was he concerned about being faithful to someone that wasn’t his? A few kisses were exchanged, but he couldn’t bring himself to go further. He wasn’t interested. He knew his head was swimming in wine and the morning would only bring regret. His eyes gazed the stairs up to the stage. What was he afraid of? They were friends - nothing to fear. 3 days felt like 3 weeks since he saw her. Slowly, he ascended the stairs up. Winding his way around amps and speakers, she finally came into view. She stood at her microphone with both hands wrapped around it as Sam thumped away on the bass. With her eyes closed, she sang.

“I ain't here to hold you when you cry
I ain't here to hold your shaky hand
I ain't here to look you in the eye
Or beg for you to understand
I ain't gonna walk you thru your dreams
Walk you thru this life that we all know
I ain't here to listen while you speak
I ain't here to heal your broken soul
Am I here at all?
I ain't here to tell you what you need
I ain't gonna take a noble stand
Or beg for you to understand
I can only tell you what I've seen
I can only tell you how it felt
While my heart was crushed so bad inside
Till I felt the hatred slowly melt
I don't wanna”

There was a definite anger in her voice. Bono bit his lower lip. Was this about him? She pulled the microphone from the stand.

“I ain't gonna watch your every move
I ain't gonna dog your every step
I ain't here to shape your every mood
I ain't here to keep your secrets kept
Oh, but if I held you in my arms
If I could squeeze you till we cry
I don't wanna lose this love I feel
I don't wanna lose this fight tonite
I ain't gonna”

Alex stepped forward to play a searing solo. As Faith turned to look at her, she saw Bono leaning against the stack. His blue eyes bore a hole in her. She gave him a nod as Alex finished her solo.
She grip tightened on her microphone.

“I ain't here to hold you when you cry
I ain't here to hold your shaky hand
I don't want you under my command
I can only hope you feel your tears
I can only wish you'd feel the hope
I can only hope that I can see
out beyond this skin that covers me
Oh, how I wish that you were here
If I could hold you in my arms
Oh, how I wish that you were mine
I don't wanna beg for you no more
I ain't gonna tell you how I feel
I ain't gonna tell you how I feel
I ain't gonna pray for you to love me
Because I know you will
I just know it!”

Bono’s lip burned from chewing it so hard. Those words echoed in his head. Was it for him or about him? Those last few lines he felt like he could have written himself. His eyes were saucers as he watched her twist in pain.

“Hey” Larry touched his shoulder.

Bono lept out of his skin. “Lardrence,” he cleared his throat. He felt as if a private moment had been disturbed.

“You want do it tonight?” Faith asked Alex.

She pulled a face. “I don’t know. I want to work on the intro.”

“How?” Faith frowned. She was very aware that both Bono and Larry were watching her.

Faith did not want to walk off the stage in their direction.

Alex scratched her head. "Maybe start with some ominous keyboards."

"So it needs more work," Faith said.

"I think so." She nodded as she took off her guitar.

"I guess that's why we never finished it in the first place. It's one of those songs," Faith stalled.

"It's a good song. Not just one of those that come easy," Ryan shrugged. "I'm starving. Hopefully lunch is still out."

Faith took a deep breath before she walked backstage.

"Hey," she gave Bono the one arm hug. "How was the shore?"

Her touch felt electric. "Good. Busy. Visited with friends and relaxed for a few days." Not that he really wanted to know, but had to ask. "How was Paris?"

She shrugged. "I didn't see much of it. We were locked in a practice space working most of the time."

"Is that one of the fruits of your labor?" He asked. He watched the body language between her and Larry. She hadn't even acknowledged him yet. It was like he wasn't there.

"That was an old song that we brought out to rework again. It was more punk rock. We slowed it down and it seemed to have more impact," she said. This was easy enough. Granted, she couldn't bring herself to look at Larry while they chatted amiably.

Bono chuckled. "Impact? I'd say so. I almost feel bad for the subject of your lyrics. "

She frowned. "I wrote that song about 2 and a half years ago. And trust me, they were deserved at the time."

Bono was happy to hear he wasn't the inspiration for such anger.

Alex saw the strain on Faith's face. She knew that Faith and Larry were getting closer. Over the last few days, he was around quite a bit. He was close, but never actually touched her. Alex thought that was a little strange. She knew he was a very private person, but it seemed a bit extreme to her. Suddenly she wondered if Edge was right about Bono being a perfect match for her friend. As she watched them make small talk, there was an ease between them. Though his eyes bore into her. How did Larry not see that?

"You getting lunch?" Alex paused beside Faith.

"Yes," she was grateful for the rescue. "See ya later." With a smile to Larry, she shot down the stairs.

Bono followed behind Larry. "How's that going anyway?"

He looked over his shoulder as he sat at his drumkit. "What?"

"You know, you and Faith," he was trying very hard to be aloof.

"Ehm, fine. No need to rush into anything. I just got out of a 20 plus year relationship," he shrugged.

Bono frowned. "I thought you were just aching to be with her."

Larry laughed. "That's a pretty strong statement. Yes, I did want to pursue something and I'm doing that."

"Okay," Bono walked away. If he had the opportunity to be in Larry’s shoes, he wouldn't waste his time being casual.

Alex was about to question Faith as they reached the bottom step when Edge and Morleigh came around the corner. She felt her heart stop with a clunk loud enough for anyone to hear. She had to pass them. I've tasted him, her thoughts shouted. She shook her head to erase the dark thoughts.

"Hi," she forced a smile.

He avoided her eyes. "How has Paris been?"

"We've been working. We need to get right to the studio when we get back," she said.

"Is that a new song?" He missed working on music with her.

She nodded. "I may need Dallas' help with it. I don't like the beginning we have for it. I was thinking of some background keyboards," she couldn't look at Morleigh. She was afraid it would come out as a glare.

"We could work on it before Madrid if you want," he offered. "I'll come to your sound check."

Hiding her excitement, she nodded casually. "Okay. That'd be great. I think it would be awkward for the performance to have Faith start on the keyboards."

"It sounds like an intense song," Edge agreed.

"Okay. I'll let you get to the stage," she waved and ran to catch up to Faith.

"You okay?" Faith asked lowly.

"Yep," her voice was tight. Ed being away for a few days made it easy to throw herself back into Sam's arms. She wondered if maybe they could get back to the love they had. But she knew she was burying herself. Wanting Edge took too much from her. She was worried that they'd never work together again. That intensity was how the flames of their fire started.

Faith noticed that Bono did not watch their show from the wings as he did most nights. Larry beamed from the side stage as he watched her work the crowd. He'd never been with anyone like her before. Ann was a very strong person, but like him, quiet. While he was never comfortable being at the center of anything, Faith took that center stage with grace and zeal. He watched her sign autographs for hours after a show. She talked with fans like they were friends. Larry preferred to keep them at a distance. There had to be a part of his life left untouched. He wondered if that would change now he was with Faith. She didn't mind the limelight. Would their relationship be there too? He knew he had to be careful to not rush into anything too deep too fast. While she was incredible, Faith was very different from him.

Bono was very reserved during his duet with Faith - almost afraid to touch her. She hated that their friendship had changed. At one time, his advances would make her eyes roll. Now, she missed him being fun and inappropriate.

Unlike after parties of yore, it was an uncharacteristic quiet night. Bono was still tired from the excess at the villa. They retired to a cozy bistro to eat fine and drink fine wines in moderation. He held court in a corner booth with a politician, a French actress, and the bistro owner. He expounded on the merits of rap and dance music. He mourned that people didn't seem to get that while PopMart was cheeky, Pop was not. The themes were heavy. Ed and Morleigh joined them. Edge wondered if the message was lost in a huge lemon disco ball.

Larry was tired of thinking about music and all its ramifications. He wanted to play it. Unfortunately this tour was so visual, there wasn't much room for improvisation. He sat with Faith and Alex as they worked on a tracklisting for their EP. They wanted the songs to be as polished as possible before they piled into the studio. They had a small window to record and mix before attending Adams wedding and starting the North American tour.

Around 1am, Faith folded up the napkins containing a likely list with a yawn. She was ready to go back to the hotel.

"I'll go with you," he finished his beer with a gulp.

Alex considered leaving with them. Maybe they wanted to be alone. Larry and Faith paused by Bono’s table to bid everyone goodnight. All night, Bono managed to avoid the new couple. He couldn't help but steal a glance from time to time. The table hovered around several napkins and looked all business. But now they were leaving together. He didn't expect that would affect him. Hoping he seemed lighthearted, he waved them goodnight to return to his deep conversation about art. Out of the corner of his eye, he spied Larry lace his fingers through hers. It stung more than he let on. He ordered another bottle to anesthetize his heart.

Tonight, Larry walked into her hotel room instead of dropping her at the door.

"Did you want a drink?" She asked. She hadn't anticipated him following her inside. She felt nervous like it was her first time alone with a boy.

He held up his hand. "No, I had enough. I wanted to say goodnight without it being captured on video."

There was that privacy thing. She was surprised he held her hand as they left the restaurant. With two steps, he closed the gap between them. Carefully, he took her face in his hands as if made of china. He lips met hers with precision. She had amazing lips. It was strange kissing someone new. For 20 years, he once kissed another woman during a drunken night in Amsterdam. She wrapped her arms around his slender waist. His back was muscular and hard. She felt the muscles move and flex under her hands as he drew her closer. As the passion slowly built, he loosened up a little. His lips were less hard. His hands moved across her back. Finally, she thought. Suddenly, he stepped away. His cheeks flushed.

"Good night," with a chaste kiss, he slipped out her door.

Faith sighed. Was he not attracted to her? Just seconds ago, he seemed to be. Unlike Bono who looked for any excuse to touch her, Larry kept his distance. She paced her small hotel room. Was he starting to doubt his decision? No matter how many times he told her that she wasn't the reason he left Ann, Faith knew she had a large part in it. Grabbing the paper from the hotel desk, she plopped on her bed and rewrote some lyrics running through her head.

Madrid was hot for September. Faith worked the new lyrics into Let the Damage Begin during sound check. Alex commented that they better suited the mood of the song. Right after, a car whisked Faith to a nearby children’s hospital for a visit. Bono wanted to join her. Watching her give to those kids filled him peace and joy. But after being so close to her, there was a loneliness that swept in when she walked away.

Edge saw Alex bent over her pedals. She had been very distant since Dublin. Morleigh joining the tour put miles between them. He watched her for a moment before crossing the stage to her.

“Alex,” his voice was soft.

A tingle ran down her spine. She had missed him so much. Burying herself in Sam only worked for the time they were together. When he rolled over to sleep, her thoughts wrapped around Edge. She didn’t look up from unplugging her pedals. “Hey. What’s up?”

“Did you want to work on that song? You mentioned it the other day,” he said.

Her eyes lit up. “Yes, please. I have a recording of the song we can work with.”

“Is this going on the EP?” he asked as they descended into the underground.

“I don’t know. Maybe. We have a short time to get everything recorded and mixed. Sheila wants us to have something released for the the North American leg. We need a good single, and I don’t think that would be it.”

She tried to not get too close.

Edge nodded. “Do you have a strong single yet?”

She sighed. “I don’t know. Faith has been distracted when it comes to writing. We have to sit with our list again and really think about what will work.”

“So, Larry and Faith, huh?’ he said.

“I guess so. He’s pretty reserved isn’t he?’ She side-glanced him.

Edge laughed. “That’s one way to put it.” He peered closer in her face. “You have some reservations about them?”

She shook her head. “I don’t know. I know Faith was a little giddy when it came to him a few months ago. And I knew she’d jump at the chance to be with him - whatever that means. I guess I’m just not seeing it, you know? Sure, she seems happy. But she’s not beaming.”

“It’s still early. They’re getting to know each other,” he offered leaning against the railing.

“True,” she agreed. “But there’s an energy when you are in the throes of a new relationship. You want to be with the person all the time. You light up when you are around them.”

He stared at her. Who was she talking about? She knew she said too much. Yes, she wanted to be with him every second of every day. But they were not free to do that.

“I’m starting to wonder about what you said before,” she quickly deflected.

“About?” he frowned.

“Faith and Bono. I’m starting to think that they are the better pair. I see something in her eyes when she’s with him. I’m not sure what it is and I know she doesn’t get it....” she said.

“Well, I’m pretty sure he feels deeply about her. He hasn’t said, but I know him,” Edge said. “But Larry’s my friend too. I agree with you. I hope it all sorts out.”

With that, they went to work. For roughly an hour, they worked with Dallas adding some keyboards to the song. As much as she missed his touch, she missed these moments even more. They laughed and worked so easily. It was as if they shared a brain completing each other’s sentences. He was careful not to touch her. It was nice to get back to this place again where they worked together. However, this led them down the road of deception.

Strict Machine opened with 'Feelin Good'. There was an urgency in Faith's voice. Off stage, she saw Bono watching as he leaned arms crossed against the stack alone. Larry was nowhere to be found. Bono decided to enjoy the solace. He could enjoy the show in peace. He considered sitting in the dressing room instead. It's not like he hadn't seen them perform before. But every time he heard the opening strains of Alex's guitar, he was drawn to watch like it was a drug. Tonight, she kept glancing off stage in his direction. He looked over his shoulder. No one. Those were his glances. She walked to Ryan and motioned Alex and Sam over. They discussed something for a few minutes. In agreement, they broke apart. Alex switched guitars and stepped on a pedal as she started with a distorted fuzzy sound. Bono remembered them working on this song a few weeks ago. He hoped he'd get to hear it with Faith sing. She sidled up to the edge of the stage with a sneer.

“Got a call from a friend I knew
I found him begging
Just like I always do
There's no room for imagination
Suffocating in my head
I need some liberation

And it feels good.”

She sent a smile in his direction.

“Close the door
And take off those clothes
Dance with me till the morning shows
In your bed and in your skin
I'll be your whole
One whole soul.”

The hair on the back of his neck stood on end. He made sure that Larry wasn’t standing behind him. It was just him. He inched closer to watch her.

“I need this feeling almost every day
Can't beat this feeling
I just gotta say
I'll be your whole
One whole soul.”

He held his breath as her eyes slid over him.

“Turn out the lights
Let the damage begin
Didn't like pain
Till I lived in sin

Don't you
Don't you come on
Don't you
Do you

Didn't like pain

Till I lived in sin.”

He chewed on the corner of his bottom lip. She was gone down the second stage. Did she just sing that to him, he wondered. It seemed like it. A chill shot through his body. Maybe he’d touch her again. Perhaps she still wanted him. Halfway through their set, he slipped to the band’s dressing room. Larry was slumped on the couch with a cold cloth pressed to his head.

“What’s with him?” he asked.

“His head hurts,” Edge said lowly.

“Will he be okay tonight?” he frowned.

“I’m fine. Just don’t prat on about nothing up there,” Larry grumbled.

Secretly, Bono thought it was karma attacking Larry’s brain. If he just left Faith alone, he’d be pain free.

Unlike the night before, their duet was fueled with tension. Larry was concentrating on drumming so hard that he didn’t even notice Bono’s hands all over Faith as they sang and danced. His eyes were on fire as he gazed into her face. She felt the heat rush to her cheeks as he pressed into her. Faith was sweating when she exited the stage and in need of a cold shower. Larry had been aloof all day. Faith was convinced he was having second doubts about leaving Ann. She took a shower backstage still feeling electric from their duet.

One by one, they trickled backstage. Cars were waiting to whisk them wherever they wished.

"Where to?" Bono asked as he entered the main dressing room where both Strict Machine and Placebo lounged with after show drinks. He grabbed a beer and settled his eyes on Faith. "I'm ready to have fun."

Larry staggered in after and plucked a water from the large bin. "I'm going back to the room. My head is about to fall off."

"Are you okay?" Faith asked.

He nodded. "I need a dark room, silence and sleep. I'll see you tomorrow. " With that, he turned on his heel and left the room.

Admittedly, Bono was thrilled Larry was not joining. "Who is in?"

"I am," Edge said from behind him. One by one, the room rises to get ready for whatever adventure Bono would lead them towards.

"How about you, Ms. Sullivan?" He raised his eyebrow. "Are you equal to the task?"

"Are we going out or going to battle?" She smirked.

"It depends on your perspective, " he winked. He extended his hand to her. This is a mistake, her head screamed. But like moth to flame, she slipped her hand in his. It was soft compared to Larry's. He resisted the compulsion to draw her in his arms and kiss her passionately.

The first club was lame. The DJ was terrible and played only bad 80's one hit wonders. The dance floor was barren save for few middle aged women tossing themselves about. At least the drinks were strong. With a nice primer coat of drunkenness, the large group headed to the next club. It was small, but better. The dance floor was a little packed, and the drinks still strong. Faith didn't remember leaving the second bar for the third and final night club of the night. It was bigger than the last with more people. She slipped through the sea of faceless people. She hoped that someone would make sure they found her and brought her home. Alex, Ryan and Ed faded into the background as the music took over.

He spotted her dancing alone in a throng of people. They were all anonymous here. Her hips shimmied with her eyes closed the music. Swiftly, he made his way to her. Wrapping his arms around her from behind, he felt her stiffen as she whirled around hand poised to slap someone's face. Her face relaxed when she looked into Bono’s eyes. The club was so dark it was almost impossible to make him out his features. The grin was the dead giveaway. Together they moved in their perfect time. He wondered if she had kissed Larry yet. How serious had things gotten? Couldn't be too serious as her arms entwined behind his neck. She moved against him driving him crazy. Slowly, he dipped her bringing her up against his body. The sweat glistened of his face and chest underneath his opened shirt. Despite the heat in the club, he shuddered as her hand swept across his skin from chest to stomach. All sense of right and wrong drowned in the booze swimming in her head. Larry flickered in the back of her mind like a dying candle. He pressed his lips to her ear.

"You still feel amazing to me," he growled.

She bit her lips. She didn't trust the words that might fall from her mouth. He was amazing too. She cursed his ability to completely undo her. Why didn't her body want Larry this much? Yes, when they kissed she wanted more. But it wasn't an insatiable need like she felt now. Her hand slid across his shoulder still under his shirt. Bono looked around to see if there was anyone that might know them nearby. The dance floor was black with swaying people. Looking into the crowd, it resembled Sodom and Gomorrah. Bodies clung to another as they writhed around them. He dragged his lips across her throat up to her jawline. He lingered a moment before he found her lips parted - waiting for him. He had to oblige. His body wanted to explode as their lips met. Her fingers curled around to the back of his head holding his mouth on hers. Why did he have to get to her before Larry? If she never found him in that bar months ago, this would not be happening now. He couldn’t remember the faces of the women he had kissed yesterday or even months ago. He was just happy that he was here with her again. The moment was fleeting, he knew that. She pulled away to dance some more. With his eyelids half closed, he watched the lights flicker across her face and reflect in her eyes. Locking his hips on hers, he looked around for a private place. He needed to be with her - alone. Spying a darkened hallway, he danced in that direction. They wouldn’t be the only lovers ducking into the blackness. He collapsed into the wall bring her with him. Wasting no time, he kissed her hungrily. He was sure he'd never taste those lips again. As her hands grazed his chest, a low groan escaped from his throat. There was so much he wanted to tell her but he didn’t want to waste the time he had with talking. He wasn’t sure she’d remember anyway. Slowly, his fingers inched under her shirt and up her back setting her skin on fire. She couldn’t see through the haze of desire as she pressed herself against him. His scent filled her head. As his thumb caressed her stomach, her fuzzy head cleared a little. What was she doing? She pulled away blinking as if waking from a trance. His fingers brushed her cheek.
“Let me come home with you,” he asked. “I want to stay with you tonight.”

“I-I-I can’t,” she stuttered.

He nuzzled her neck and ear. “Please. Please. One more night to feel you. Please, Faith.”

The two nights he pleaded her, she gave her body to him. A part of her wanted to spend the night exploring him again. But there was Larry. Good solid Larry who was asleep in his bed while his new so-called girlfriend groped his best friend.

“I’m sorry, I have to go. I can’t do this again,” his pleading eyes stabbed into her heart. It took all her strength to pull away from him and stagger into the crowd.

Every part of him throbbed for her. On one hand, she still wanted him. He had felt her passion. But she still walked away. Was she scared? Could she really love Larry? He buttoned his shirt as his eyes searched the club for her. Did she leave already? With a mixture of disappointment and happiness she pushed through the sweaty bodies. He still had an effect on her. Clearly, she wanted him. However, not enough to stay. As he wandered through the club, woman tried to entice him into a dance. He only wanted one woman tonight. Unable to locate her, he found Edge and Morleigh.

"I'm ready to call it a night," he yawned. "Are you headed back?"

Edge could only nod. The strong drink hit him particularly hard. The three of them arm in arm left singing an unintelligible song at the top of their lungs. In the taxi home, Bono considered going to her room to plead his case one more time. Neither of them were in a state for that. He would have take his cues from here and be satisfied that he had not vanished from her thoughts altogether.

Edge's head throbbed like one of Adam's bass lines. What a night. Three bars and Lord knows how many drinks. The night seemed like a dream sequence. Morleigh was already up and getting breakfast. He flash-backed to the argument they had in the last bar. With a few weeks break coming, he decided to put their relationship back on track or at least figure out if there was something to salvage. He did love her. She had been the light at the end of a very dark tunnel. Nothing like his ex-wife. She was full of life and energy. She wasn't content to be still or quiet. Once again, he suggested they spend time in Dublin together. She wanted him to come to LA. He explained that he wanted to spend time with his girls. While she understood, she didn't seem interested in playing house. Heated words were exchanged and he stormed off where Alex found him. It was bad timing all around. After spending an afternoon in the underground with her, he was feeling weak. Her concerned tone and soothing touches drove him wild. Without thinking, he kissed her. It was only for a moment before he jumped away in horror. He apologized and darted in the opposite direction of both women. His head was heavy and the room moved slow. The Clash's 'Straight to Hell' was a strange choice for dance music. In front of him, couples writhed and grind. It was dark with flickering lights illuminating faces every so often. He leaned against the wall for balance. His eyes caught on a couple wrapped around each other as they moved in perfect time. Was that? Edge squinted. The room turned around him as he blinked slowly. They were blocked for a moment. He shook his head and looked again. Was that Bono and Faith locked in a passionate kiss? It didn't look like their first. What was she doing? He closed his eyes as nausea washed over him. He opened his eyes and they were gone.

Edge sat up. His head took a moment to catch up with him. Was that a dream? Did he really see them kissing and touching each other in a very familiar manner? Another fear popped in his head. Did he really kiss Alex in that crowded club? With Morleigh there? What was wrong with him? He was angry with himself for taking advantage of Alex and not handling it well. He rubbed his head. The breakfast table awaited him. He hauled his sore body out of bed for the shower.

When Edge entered the room, he didn't see Morleigh or Alex. He felt safe for a moment. Bono sat with a cup of coffee in front of him. With a very serious face, his arms crossed in front of his chest. He stared in the direction of the doors. Edge was starting to think it wasn't a dream. He grabbed a cup of coffee and sat across from him.

Bono’s face broke into an amused grin. "You look like Shit, mate."

"And yet you don't. How does that work?" Edge grumbled.

"I'm just better at this. Plus, I didn't drink as much as everyone else," he said.

"Has anyone else emerged? " the sound of the spoon scraping the bottom of the cup seared his ears.

"Morleigh went for a walk. Things okay with you two?" He asked.

"We had a tiff. You know how relationships are," he shrugged.

"Starting to sound like your last one. I love Morleigh, you know that. But you're fighting a lot," he raised an eyebrow.

Edge shook his head. "Normal stuff." His green eye leveled Bono. "How's your love life?"

Bono’s gazed switched from the door to Edge. "I don't have one right now."

Edge was about to expound when he heard Larry. "It's a bleeding ghost town here. What did you two do to everyone? "

Bono’s cheeks reddened which confirms Edge’s suspicions. "I guess drank them under the table."

He chuckled. "I’m glad I turned in early."

So am I, Bono thought. Larry wandered over to fill up a plate of food. Edge clamped his mouth closed. It was not the time to talk about it. He wasn't sure if Bono would tell him anyway.

Faith took a deep breath as she walked through the doors. Upon her first scan, his blue eyes held her captive for a moment as he brooded over a cup of coffee. She felt paralyzed by fear. Larry put his plate down and went straight to her.

"Hey," he said softly.

She was happy to have somewhere else to look. "How is your head?"

He smiled. "Much better. How is yours?"

She frowned. "What do you mean?"

"I heard it was quite a late night," he said.

Her eyes switched to Bono. "You did?"

She wondered what else he heard. She guessed nothing since he was still smiling at her. Maybe she should come clean. Sure, she'd fuck up her chance to be with him but she'd be honest.

"Can I talk to you a minute? " he asked lowly.

"Sure,"she said.

He took her hand and led her to the other side of the room. “I’m sorry if I bolted the other night and seemed a bit off.”

She shrugged casually. “It was okay.”

“I’ve never done this before and I don’t want to move too fast. But I didn’t want you to think I changed my mind. I might get a little spooked at times, but that doesn’t mean I don’t want to be with you.” He inched closer.

Over his shoulder, she saw Bono’s cold stare bore into Larry’s back. “I said that we didn’t have to do anything we didn’t want to.”

He blushed. “It’s not that I don’t want to. I’m just not ready. My life is still very unsettled. I’m homeless and still moving into Adam’s guesthouse. Even still, that’s just until I get another home.”

“It sounds sad when you put it that way,” she said quietly. “I never wanted to come between you. I should have kept my mouth shut.”

He took both her hands. “This wasn’t your fault. I made the decision. Okay? Please do not blame yourself.”

She felt pretty guilty for sleeping with Bono, but she could tell herself that it was before she knew Larry’s intentions. What was her excuse for last night? Alcohol? Loneliness? At least she walked away before more happened.

“Do you forgive me for being an arse?” he flashed his boyish grin.

“You weren’t an arse,” she joked back in an Irish accent. Will you forgive me? her thoughts asked.

Bono couldn’t turn away. If he stormed out of the room, it would look suspicious. As it was, he knew Edge was watching every move he made. Sure, it had been know that Bono had a soft spot for Faith from the beginning. They joked and teased each other. What no one knew is that things got close and serious. In front of the entire room, Bono watched Larry kiss Faith. Granted, the room was fairly sparse with a few crew members. But now it was out there in public. Faith was Larry’s girlfriend.

“Are you okay, mate?” Edge asked lowly.

“Yeah, why wouldn’t I be happy for one of my best mates?” he fixed Edge with a glare.

Edge looked down. “No reason.”

Larry led her by the hand to sit with Edge and Bono. She wished he had not done that. Bono, who usually wore his heart on his sleeve, managed to bury his emotion deep. With his trademark sly grin, he asked, "How is your head this morning?"

"A little sore. Nothing tons of Gatorade can't right," she said breezily. His eyes on her burned her skin. She held her breath wondering if he would even hint to their kiss.

"I guess you made it back alright. I didn't see you leave," he turned his attention to his eggs.

Edge was fascinated in watching them. If he had not witnessed them last night, this would be a normal conversation. Now he could sense their struggle just bubbling under the surface.
The last comment stung her. She was relieved when she didn't hear a knock on her door later on that night. In her vulnerable state, she wasn't sure she'd refuse him.

"I forgot my breakfast," Larry laughed. "Can I get you something? You probably need to eat."

She nodded. "Anything to soak up the booze. Bagel maybe."

"Gotcha, " and he was off.

Edge took his cue. "I should probably eat too."

Bono and Faith sat in silence. She searched for anything to say. The weather. The show last night. Anything to lift the heavy air between them.

Bono was first to speak. "I'm sorry about last night. We'd been drinking and I took advantage of that. I was just feeling a little randy." He smiled. "You're just such a great dancer. I loose control a little."

She returned his smile. "You're not the only guilty party. I guess we should be careful of when we dance so it doesn't get out of control."

His heart sunk. She was still clinging to the idea of Larry as the perfect mate. "Deal. And if I get fresh, you'll have to slap me."

She raised an eyebrow. “You'd probably enjoy that."

He blushed. "No comment," with a glance in Larry's direction.

She leaned closer. "Look, I've been talking with Sheila and Rocko. We're working on a visit to a hospital in Sarajevo. Are you interested in coming with me?"

He knew he should decline. Distance would be best. Yet, this was a part of her Larry didn't have yet. They could share this incredible experience together.

"Have you told Larry yet?" He asked quietly.

"No, not yet," she shook her head.

"Why not?" He asked.

She didn't have a good answer. There were many things she kept to herself. Somehow she felt safer without people knowing every detail about her. Bono already knew too much and that put them in a strange position.

"I guess I'm not ready. I will when I feel the time is right," she shrugged.

Bono thought it was very odd indeed. This relationship was starting off with too many secrets it seemed. If he didn't feel such an allegiance with her, he'd be warning his good mate. He knew it was not malicious on her part. She'd been through a lot and had her defenses from pain. He peered closer. Is that what Larry was?

"Yes, I'll go the hospital with you. Let me know when," he said.

She smiled. "Great. I'll tell Sheila."

He watched Larry reclaim his seat beside Faith. On the outside, it looked Larry had it all. His arm rested casually on the chair behind her. Yet it was Bono who shared so much more with her. He hoped she realized it soon. He got the sense that she was running. He just didn't know from what.

Edge was nervous for when Morleigh left the tour. Her dance company was headed back to LA. Nothing had been settled between them. For now, it was easier to ignore the doubts they both had. At some point the tour would end and he would go home. He wasn't sure if she'd be with him. Maybe he and Bono would be swinging bachelors. Forget the fairer race and their games. He knew that if all things were equal, Bono would be with Faith wherever she was. And Alex. He had no idea where she fit into any of this. She had shut down as of late. Since Dublin, she had been far away. It was only when they were alone working or playing music that he felt that closeness with her. Temporarily, she would lower her guard and sit close. Her eyes sparkled as she looked at him. But the moment the space filled in with the others, the dark curtain fell over her face. Luckily for him, she was eager to spend a lot of time polishing the new songs. She had made it a priority to have these songs ready for recording so they could get in and out of the studio quickly. Edge considered coming over to assist. How would that look to Morleigh? Sure, he’d go to New York to hole up in a studio with a band he lived with for 6 months, but he wouldn’t fly to LA for his girlfriend.

"I need a few days off. I think Faith needs it too," she expressed her concern for Faith driving work ethic. Her friend was looking tired these days as the second leg wound down. When she asked Faith if she was okay, she laughed and changed the subject. Even though, Faith was getting regular check-ups, Alex was still fearful the cancer would return.

“Why’s that?” Edge asked.

“She just doesn’t stop. I think the whole band needs a few days off to unwind,” she said quickly.

There was something behind Alex’s eyes that he couldn’t decipher. Concern? Fear? Bono sometimes got that look in his eyes when he talked about Faith. Was there something wrong? He noticed that Bono would ask how she felt on a few occasions. He dismissed it as doting. Maybe it was something more serious. He wanted to ask Alex, but the worry that crossed her face disappeared as she moved on to another song. She wasn’t about to let him in.

The Call - I Don't Wanna
I Don't Wanna by The Call on Into The Woods - The Call | Grooveshark - Listen to Free Music Online - Internet Radio - Free MP3 Streaming

I couldn't find it on You Tube

The Verve - Let the Damage Begin
YouTube - ‪The Verve - Let The Damage Begin‬‏

justed wanted to say another great chapter, and looking forward to seeing how the story progresses :wave:

Thanks. It's almost winding down. This may be the first story in my 30 years of writing that I actually finish. While I still feel silly writing fan fiction, it has really helped with character development and structure. They say 'write what you know'.

I completely get what you're saying. My friend and I have been working on a screenplay project forever, and the finish line still isn't in sight.

It doesn't feel like it's winding down...I've got the screenplay thing going on too, except it's imagery instead of dialogue with me. It's effing annoying at times to have so many images bouncing around my head...

Poor Larry. He seems so hopeful. Then again, poor Bono, he and Faith seem much more meant together. Is it wrong though that I want her and Larry to have a little fun before Faith realizes she just wants to be with B? :wink:

It is so much more fun to read this story after seeing the guys live :hyper:

I hope nothing's going to go wrong for Faith. She's under a lot of stress...

It doesn't feel like it's winding down...I've got the screenplay thing going on too, except it's imagery instead of dialogue with me. It's effing annoying at times to have so many images bouncing around my head...

Poor Larry. He seems so hopeful. Then again, poor Bono, he and Faith seem much more meant together. Is it wrong though that I want her and Larry to have a little fun before Faith realizes she just wants to be with B? :wink:

It is so much more fun to read this story after seeing the guys live :hyper:

I hope nothing's going to go wrong for Faith. She's under a lot of stress...

ZOMG! How was the show? I forgot you were going to go.

The next chapter will reveal a bit of road block in a Bono/Faith union. So, you might get some Larry/Faith lovin'. No, not pregnancy. Little bit of Faith's past. She's lived a thousand lifetimes, this one. It still has a lot of chapters, but at least I know where it's all headed.

After all is said and done, I thought about posting what I was going to write - my first thoughts. I still can't believe I had Faith and Bono hating each other. That seems impossible now, right? :sexywink:

It was effing amazing...I was about 20 feet away from everyone and Bono came on the rail about 2 feet away so I could see his butt up close (ha). I was closest to Adam, who was very sparkly (B called him 'Sparkles'...heh) and looked so calm and happy it was adorable. Larry was in good view so I stalked him a bit and waved when he came on the bridge. Edge I only saw about twice because I wasn't on his side...Anyhow, I think I understand the thing about crowd mentality now making the music better because there's a definite energy with live music (Red Rocks makes more sense now, for example). I wish my foot wasn't effed up (got my toenail removed again :/ it was ingrown...I'm watching Across The Universe and stalking Bono on there, and skipping school so I don't get stepped on) so I could go to Anaheim...then again, I don't have tickets anyhow...

:lol: Wasn't expecting pregnancy! It's not on my mind very much actually XD Larry would make some adorable babies, though (and has). And I'm excited :hyper:

Characters and storylines change, I tell you! XD That happened with me so much too. I mean, look how Cath turned from evil to not...and Out Of Control basically became like an action movie...

That's great about the show. When did you get the stadium. Sounds like you got a decent position in the pit. How is the Bono viewing on Adam's side? I already spent 2 shows staring at Larry.

Pregnancy seems to be the go- to when wanting to muck up a storyline. But there is still plenty of angst to go around.

I got to the stadium at around 5 pm when the gates opened...I was in the line since 3 or 4 pm though. I thought I was on the wrong side because there was all this sound equipment, but assumed the other empty side was the back, so didn't move (I was right). I saw the side of Bono mostly but he came over to Adam, turned to my side, or walked the bridge a lot. He's a mobile guy. Staring at Larry is good, though

:reject: I just did it because I was thinking of what would fuck up Bono and Ali's situation the most...basically, what would make a story. Plus, the useful fact that there were no contraceptives legal in Ireland before the 80s...I realized it was a pretty prevalent plotline after reading a bunch of other fanfic, though. Damn.

Angst to do around sounds both good and bad. It'll be enjoyable for the plotline though.

Speaking of which, I've been on writing hiatus for a while now, haven't I :/ it's probably going to be another week or two until I get back to it. Once school's ended and I'm not dealing with pain meds...

AnCatKatie said:
I got to the stadium at around 5 pm when the gates opened...I was in the line since 3 or 4 pm though. I thought I was on the wrong side because there was all this sound equipment, but assumed the other empty side was the back, so didn't move (I was right). I saw the side of Bono mostly but he came over to Adam, turned to my side, or walked the bridge a lot. He's a mobile guy. Staring at Larry is good, though

:reject: I just did it because I was thinking of what would fuck up Bono and Ali's situation the most...basically, what would make a story. Plus, the useful fact that there were no contraceptives legal in Ireland before the 80s...I realized it was a pretty prevalent plotline after reading a bunch of other fanfic, though. Damn.

Angst to do around sounds both good and bad. It'll be enjoyable for the plotline though.

Speaking of which, I've been on writing hiatus for a while now, haven't I :/ it's probably going to be another week or two until I get back to it. Once school's ended and I'm not dealing with pain meds...

It worked for your story. The pregnancy bit. I had the scare which sort of brought some of the pairs to light. Right now, Bono and Faith are sort of the omnipotent people because they know everything. This next part is slow for me. Trying to build Larry and Faith and sort out what I want to do with Edge and Alex.

I knew school was ending so you and Blue might be a bit quiet until summer hit.

It was necessary for my story XD what's weird though is if I go back and reread it and think of everything I added in from '78 that makes the story more complete...for example, Isaac's not scary at all in An Cat Dubh, in my opinion.

Building Larry and Faith gets a thumbsup from me, again :p

It's not school ending, it's more the last few essays I have to do/exhausted/writing a collaboration piece with my best friend involving some parts of ACD I left out/my foot's screwy and the meds make me unable to write :/ but good mindreading! It's been hard in general to get myself to write more of Out Of Control, of recent...it's definitely ending soon.

Mmm... I like it... someone's finally gotten a clue about Bono and Faith, I see. Edge was pretty awesome in a weird sort of way in this. Larry was just yummy. That kiss! Of course, what Faith had going on with Bono in the club was hotter. But I like that they didn't go all the way.
Bells just went off in my head. Did someone say "Sarajevo"?
Yeah, I haven't been posting much because school is ending and they took my computer. For a few days it was more "OOH I HAVE INTERNET" than "I want to write!" But doing some writing now, actually...
Good luck on the end!

I am hoping to read a few article on Sarajevo before I really get into it. I may have to satisfy myself with the Road to Sarajevo documentary.

I still need to figure out Alex and Edge. Alex knows she loves him, but does he love her?

Ignoring this:
Of course, what Faith had going on with Bono in the club was hotter.

because

Larry was just yummy. That kiss!

I'm enjoying you and Grace both converting to Larry at the same time...even if it's brief :wink:

I was wondering about Sarajevo, too, Grace, I just don't know nearly enough about what was going on there to ask if it was next...

I hope Edge loves Alex back :/ that would spell angst though if he didn't, wouldn't it...

It would be sad, and yet oddly very satisfying, if Edge and Alex didn't get together. I'm even picturing that he breaks up with Morleigh but doesn't pursue Alex, and she stays with Sam, and at some point their lives just stop crossing and they don't see each other for a long time. And probably they'd be changed if they ever saw each other again.

(But that's not gonna happen... :D )

:hmm:

That's very interesting. There would go my double wedding ending. I kid, I kid. I could always have Alex and Bono find comfort in each other's arms. :ohmy:

No, I won't go off the rails like that. I did have bigger plans and back story for Alex, but it never really materialized or seemed to make a point in the story. Faith's history had meaning. I write more about Edge than I do Alex. I think I need to fill in some Alex and Sam story line but that seems like s chore. Some of the chapters just write themselves while others you have to work at. Oddly enough, the Sarajevo bit is trying me. That one might need some serious editing before posting. Most of my chapters are sort of the first thing that comes without much revision and it probably shows. :lol:

I could always have Alex and Bono find comfort in each other's arms. :ohmy:

NO.

I was having unhappy thoughts about what if Faith is flirting with Edge or something because you're speaking in pronouns not names at some point of Faith flirting, but thankfully it was Bono instead :ohmy:

NO.

I was having unhappy thoughts about what if Faith is flirting with Edge or something because you're speaking in pronouns not names at some point of Faith flirting, but thankfully it was Bono instead :ohmy:

When was this? I should use clearer breaks in my story. It's hard because I write a lot of it on my phone, send it to my email, copy it to a document, revise it there, then paste it to here. No wonder it takes me a week or more to get a new chapter out.

I am thinking of Edge finding out about Faith's cancer from Alex somehow. I thought of having them plot together to get Faith and Bono together like two rascally kids in a Disney film like Parent Trap. Could make for some light-hearted moments in an otherwise heavy story. Oh why can't I write comedy? I'm funny in person. :shrug:

Here, it was actually with Larry (oops)

Faith took a deep breath as she walked through the doors. Upon her first scan, his blue eyes held her captive for a moment as he brooded over a cup of coffee. She felt paralyzed by fear. Larry put his plate down and went straight to her.

"Hey," he said softly.

She was happy to have somewhere else to look. "How is your head?"

He smiled. "Much better. How is yours?"

She frowned. "What do you mean?"

"I heard it was quite a late night," he said.

Her eyes switched to Bono. "You did?"

She wondered what else he heard. She guessed nothing since he was still smiling at her. Maybe she should come clean. Sure, she'd fuck up her chance to be with him but she'd be honest.

"Can I talk to you a minute? " he asked lowly.

"Sure,"she said.

He took her hand and led her to the other side of the room. “I’m sorry if I bolted the other night and seemed a bit off.”

She shrugged casually. “It was okay.”

Heheh, I wouldn't mind Edge and Alex trying to uncover what's going on. That would be entertaining. I know what you mean about the comedy...except with me it's just all the comedy's been worked out of me by school XD angst is more fun. It is.

Okay, yeah I get that might have been confusing. It was Bono's eyes that kept her captive, but Larry sort of interrupted that by walking over. And because we all know an intense Bono stare is, well, intense - she was happy when Larry walked over.

I think Alex is starting to see that Bono is the better man for Faith. Even she is going to have mixed emotions about that for a reason. :sexywink:

Wha....oookay. Confusing indeed.

Oh please don't have Alex attracted to Bono too!

Nooo. It's more out of concern for Faith. You've seen pretty much all the pairings out of the bands. There will be no more inbreeding. :lol:

What? No Faith and Edge love? She'll just slowly work her way through the band. :wink:

And poor little Adam is being neglected from Faith or Alex love while on the other hand he's not so poor little Adam because he's the only one in a stable relationship. Oh how I love it when someone's not mentioned! You can make up all sorts of things that they could be doing. :evil: :rolleyes:

Just red a bunch of articles on Sarajevo! Blue, our storylines might cross. They started the links from Sarajevo in July 1993! I just made reference to that tour.

Just red a bunch of articles on Sarajevo! Blue, our storylines might cross. They started the links from Sarajevo in July 1993! I just made reference to that tour.
Awesome! I haven't actually thought about the linkups- know too little about what it was like. Maybe I'll mention that in one chapter!

If you Google U2 in Sarajevo, there's a Wiki page on it. They talk about the linkups as does U2 at the End of the World.

Back
Top Bottom