Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > PLEBA > Fan Fiction
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 02:30 PM   #1
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 07:02 AM
New Rules for Fan Fiction Forum

After deliberation with Elvis, and the moderators, we are revising the rules a tad regarding this forum. Many people seem to be upset about some of the 'slash' that is being written in this forum.

Fan Fiction is OK. Stories about the band.. you and the band.. even you kissing members of the band, is fine. However, nothing sexually beyond that will be acceptable. Graphic stories about you or any other girls having sex with the band will not be welcomed.

Slash.. is NOT OK. Stories about the band members making out with each other.. (a peck here and there is fine.. we all know they peck each other occasionally..) Band members in sexual predicaments with other band members or groupies, etc. will not be allowed.

I hope you all find this acceptable.. since we have not decided to close this forum, rather just add some rules and change a few policies instead.

Keep it light, and have fun!

- Team Interference

Old 04-23-2003, 02:45 PM   #2
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:02 AM
Will you be leaving in what's already there?

Old 04-23-2003, 02:50 PM   #3
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Yes
Old 04-23-2003, 03:13 PM   #4
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

I'm happy to see this.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 04-23-2003, 05:29 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

sounds good to me
Old 04-23-2003, 05:30 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Does this mean Sicy is back??
Old 04-23-2003, 09:22 PM   #7
The Fly

Local Time: 03:02 PM
How gracious of you not to "close" it.

That snarky comment aside, I will say I understand why you did this. There are people of younger ages reading this forum and I can sympathise w/that, and, like I said before, I as a slash writer wouldn't feel comfortable putting up anything that contains anything beyond kissing here.

However, I think it's unfair for you to say mary sues are okay, but slash isn't. I don't quite understand the reasoning behind that...?
Old 04-23-2003, 09:27 PM   #8
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by lardencelover
That seemed pretty sarcastic and is not appreciated.

Quote:
However, I think it's unfair for you to say mary sues are okay, but slash isn't. I don't quite understand the reasoning behind that...?
Honestly, what do you mean by "mary sues"? I apologize, but I'm not familiar with that term, so I can't address that issue.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 04-23-2003, 10:30 PM   #9
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick
That seemed pretty sarcastic and is not appreciated.
Indeed. I wasnt trying to be "snarky". I am stating the facts. And I dont appreciate the accusation.
This issue has been discussed between I, the owner of the board and the moderators. Many of the moderators wanted to remove this forum. It still can easily be done.

Quote:
Honestly, what do you mean by "mary sues"? I apologize, but I'm not familiar with that term, so I can't address that issue.
Yes you'll have to enlighten me as well. If you mean girls kissing the guys, I'm sure everyone fantasizes about it and I dont see much harm in it as long as it doesnt go beyond that. If you're talking about the guys giving pecks on the cheek etc.. again we feel this is harmless enough. If you dont understand why posting stories about the band members making out with each other is not appropriate for this board, well frankly you can post it somewhere else.

I, as well as the rest of the team feel this is reasonable.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:57 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:02 AM
Quote:

That snarky comment aside, I will say I understand why you did this. There are people of younger ages reading this forum and I can sympathise w/that, and, like I said before, I as a slash writer wouldn't feel comfortable putting up anything that contains anything beyond kissing here.

I see you've been here for a while. Perhaps you weren't here when pleba was overcrowded with other, rather graphic pictures and depictions.

Slash fic is a scab on the otherwise good face of Interference.com and shouldn't be posted at all. Censoring the type of writing is mild compared to the suggestion of closing the fan fic forum altogether.

Please show Sicy some respect on this, she's an Administrator and doesn't need to take flak over decisions that Team Interference made.

Good on you for immediately pointing out that your first comment was snarky, it was completely uncalled for.

And if you're wondering why there are contingencies on what can and cannot be posted, you can either re-read the first post here or take a look at F.A.Qs.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:10 PM   #11
Babyface

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick

*cough* Don't mind me, I can just answer the question, and no one has seemed to as of yet...

The term "Mary Sue" is applied to fan fiction that involves a main female character in a romantic/sexual relationship with the object of the author's desire. The main character is often incredibly close to the author herself, and is sometimes just the author blatantly inserting herself into the story. More often than not, the author (badly) disguises herself by changing her own flaws and making the main character nearly perfect.

Okay...that was overly complicated. Lemme give you an example.

If I wanted to write a fic that was me/Bono, I would create a character named Mary. And Mary is taller than me, her eyes are greener, her wit is quick, she's smart, funny, talented, and of course, Bono finds himself falling all over her.

Please keep in mind that the term "Mary Sue" does not apply to all fiction that is author/object of the author's desire...A Mary Sue becomes a Mary Sue when the female character is pretty much perfect and flawless, and is, shortly, the author as she dreams herself to be.

/long-winded and overly long lecture

Pardon the intrusion.

-Kate
Old 04-23-2003, 11:13 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

thank you for clarifying
Old 04-23-2003, 11:14 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

agree with Sicy and the team
Old 04-23-2003, 11:14 PM   #14
The Fly

Local Time: 03:02 PM
I only became snarky because it came off a threat or warning... you know, like when your Mam says "you're lucky I didn't do worse!" Although, I do of course realize that it was not simply Sicy's decision and I'm sorry for taking out any frustration on her.

I understand why there are rules, I stated as much in my first comment. I realize that you're not simply responisble for the slash readers/writers, but all the members of this forum, some of which are underage. I don't question you're reasoning and in your situation, I would probably be forced to do the same.

Mary Sues are stories in which the author basically puts themself into a story, i.e., hooking themself up w/a band member or "making up" a character much like themself to live their fantasies out on. I'm against them (not for the reason you might think; I just don't have an interest in reading someone else fantasy of being with a band member much as some don't have any interest in m/m fics), but don't discriminate.

I'm just hard pressed to see the difference between the two that would lead to female/male fics being okay, but slash not being...? Maybe if someone could explain this to me, I'd be very appreciative.

Also... *sigh* Not to sound, again, coarse or bitchy, but I've seen several people on here be far ruder than I was and they haven't recieved the repremanding I just did... eh. Never mind.

Anyway, I do respect your decision and will follow it. In fact, I followed it before you even made it; I've never posted anything here of graphic nature.

And Lily is definitely right; I've only been here a short while, so I wasn't around for any of the really explicit fics that might have been posted.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:17 PM   #15
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Quote:
I only became snarky because it came off a threat or warning... you know, like when your Mam says "you're lucky I didn't do worse!" Although, I do of course realize that it was not simply Sicy's decision and I'm sorry for taking out any frustration on her.
Apology accepted.
I was simply trying to show the good out of the decision.
The silver lining so to speak.