New Rules for Fan Fiction Forum - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > PLEBA > Fan Fiction
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 11:19 PM   #16
The Fly

Local Time: 03:01 PM
Also, slash contains Mary Sue as well. Sometimes an author will change one of the bandmembers to be more like herself and then hook her up w/another bandmember.

Just to clarify.

Old 04-23-2003, 11:26 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by lardencelover
I'm just hard pressed to see the difference between the two that would lead to female/male fics being okay, but slash not being...? Maybe if someone could explain this to me, I'd be very appreciative.

Also... *sigh* Not to sound, again, coarse or bitchy, but I've seen several people on here be far ruder than I was and they haven't recieved the repremanding I just did... eh. Never mind.

And Lily is definitely right; I've only been here a short while, so I wasn't around for any of the really explicit fics that might have been posted.

The deal with band member on band member slash being such a scab is that...they don't and wouldn't do that. It becomes slander on the guys and that's not what Interference.com is about at all (clearly ). Even the male/female ones that go too far are not going to be tolerated, again out of respect for the guys. We are the largest U2 internet community and feel responsible to keep it looking good and keeping slander out, ya know?

Secondly, everyone who is curt to an admin/mod is reprimanded either via the board or PM. It doesn't happen so much in here cos the PLEBA gals are gentle on their mods

I don't know if you ever saw the fanfic site, but it was pretty sick and got closed down. We don't want that type of graphic fanfic on our site, so we're taking precautions now.

If you have any more questions, you can email any of the mods/admins, our addresses are in our sigs.

Old 04-23-2003, 11:31 PM   #18
The Fly

Local Time: 10:01 AM

I'm kind of curious about the practical ramifications of this, as my brain isn't quite smart enough to suss what the new announcement means (too little sleep, too much angst).

I take it that you're basically saying that sexual content is fine in all fics up to kissing? But no further than that, whether it be het or slash.

What about fics with no actual sexual content, but rather dealing with band members' emotions? If they were to feel, say romantic love for another member, would this be allowed so long as there aren't explicit fantasies, sex scenes &c?

And if not, how would one distinguish between what is acceptable and what is not, based on the new rules, since the band's behaviour and many of their comments are so often borderline slash anyway?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just not completely with it tonight.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:36 PM   #19
The Fly

Local Time: 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lilly

The deal with band member on band member slash being such a scab is that...they don't and wouldn't do that. It becomes slander on the guys and that's not what Interference.com is about at all (clearly ). Even the male/female ones that go too far are not going to be tolerated, again out of respect for the guys. We are the largest U2 internet community and feel responsible to keep it looking good and keeping slander out, ya know?

I don't know that any of us can truly say what band members would or wouldn't do, we can only offer guesses. And to say they'd never do anything of the sort is kind of out there, to be honest. In any case, it wouldn't be libel, since there are disclaimers clearly stating this is fiction.

I, of course, can't clearly judge what they would do, but it seems that for at least Bono and Edge they would be more likely to make out with each other than sleep with some random groupie. So why discriminate?
Base restrictions on sex according to depth, content etc, not orientation.
Quote:

I don't know if you ever saw the fanfic site, but it was pretty sick and got closed down. We don't want that type of graphic fanfic on our site, so we're taking precautions now.

If you have any more questions, you can email any of the mods/admins, our addresses are in our sigs.
Actually, many of us posted on that site...

In any case, I think slash authours have done a very good job of keeping its audience in mind. There was nothing in the most recent fic that would be inappropriate for anyone under 13.

[Edit because I CAN'T SPELL]
Old 04-23-2003, 11:44 PM   #20
The Fly

Local Time: 03:01 PM
Well, Lily.

Let's go for this, then.

Firstly, the likely-hood of U2 sleeping with a groupie is just as good as it for them to sleep with each other. Period.

Secondly, it shouldn't be an issue of whether it's straight or gay sex. It should just be sex in general. I can understand banning a slash fic because it's graphic, but then you need to do the same for some of the straight fics I've read that are just as dirty (and in my case DIRTIER) than the fics posted.

It may be "sick" to you, but to a lot of people, that is their expression of love, and, unless you know U2 personally, we don't know precisely what they would or would not do or approve of.

Mod or not, their is no excuse for discriminating against someone because of their sexual orientation.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:47 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by brunerhyme
I take it that you're basically saying that sexual content is fine in all fics up to kissing? But no further than that, whether it be het or slash.
This is exactly what we're saying.

Quote:
What about fics with no actual sexual content, but rather dealing with band members' emotions? If they were to feel, say romantic love for another member, would this be allowed so long as there aren't explicit fantasies, sex scenes &c?
-->
Quote:
Fan Fiction is OK. Stories about the band.. you and the band.. even you kissing members of the band, is fine. However, nothing sexually beyond that will be acceptable. Graphic stories about you or any other girls having sex with the band will not be welcomed.

Slash.. is NOT OK. Stories about the band members making out with each other.. (a peck here and there is fine.. we all know they peck each other occasionally..) Band members in sexual predicaments with other band members will not be allowed.

Quote:
And if not, how would one distinguish between what is acceptable and what is not, based on the new rules, since the band's behaviour and many of their comments are so often borderline slash anyway?
I'm sorry, but I don't think I've seen the band acting slashy - ever. There is a difference between pecks on the cheek and having sex in hotel rooms.

I know that a lot of fanfic slash writers used to write for fanfic, but as previously stated, there really isn't a place for slash here.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:53 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by lardencelover
Well, Lily.

Let's go for this, then.

Firstly, the likely-hood of U2 sleeping with a groupie is just as good as it for them to sleep with each other. Period.

Secondly, it shouldn't be an issue of whether it's straight or gay sex. It should just be sex in general. I can understand banning a slash fic because it's graphic, but then you need to do the same for some of the straight fics I've read that are just as dirty (and in my case DIRTIER) than the fics posted.

It may be "sick" to you, but to a lot of people, that is their expression of love, and, unless you know U2 personally, we don't know precisely what they would or would not do or approve of.

Mod or not, their is no excuse for discriminating against someone because of their sexual orientation.
I agree with your first point. It's zero chance for both.

SECONDLY! DO NOT accuse me of being discriminatory! THAT is completely uncalled for and I am REALLY offended by it. It's "sick" to me because I don't like reading graphic depictions of sexual acts - ESPECIALLY on a place like Interference.com. It's not just slash that's banned - anything past kissing is intolerable.

It is VERY clearly written:

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy (and decided upon by Team Interference):

Graphic stories about you or any other girls having sex with the band will not be welcomed.
Interference does NOT support graphic writings about the band.

Case Closed.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:55 PM   #23
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 07:01 AM
Slash.. is NOT OK. Stories about the band members making out with each other.. (a peck here and there is fine.. we all know they peck each other occasionally..) Band members in sexual predicaments with other band members will not be allowed.

This has just been modified to read:

Slash.. is NOT OK. Stories about the band members making out with each other.. (a peck here and there is fine.. we all know they peck each other occasionally..) Band members in sexual predicaments with other band members or groupies, etc. will not be allowed.

There should now be no accusations of discrimination... I believe this was cleary stated from the beginning of this decision. Same rules apply, gay or straight.

It should be pretty clear what is and isnt allowed... please email/pm us privately to discuss it further.